PDA

View Full Version : Where did the defense go?!!?

Brad 69
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
With the roster almost exactly the same from the super bowl run our D just isn't playing the same. The only major difference is Troy Polamalu being out with a knee injury. I guess that just goes to show how big of a role 1 player can make.

LatrobePA
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
43!

DL has most blitz packages and cover scemes designed around his ability! Just my thoughts!

75Steeler
12-04-2009, 12:21 AM
The intimidation factor Troy brings to the table alone is worth a ton. If he stays healthy enough through his career I think we will seen him in the hall of fame one day.

Zachintosh66
12-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Pretty crazy to think about us talking about a down year for our D and our D giving up games etc. etc. and were #3 in total Defense...

Imagine IF we ever fell out of the top 5 or (gulp) top 10. There would be riots in the streets!

Richmond Rukus
12-04-2009, 08:41 AM
The only major difference is Troy Polamalu being out with a knee injury.

Aaron Smith is out for the season as well. The loss of McFadden also seems to of had a bigger impact than many would have thought. Gay just isn't performing at a very high level this year.

Brad 69
12-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Zach I like the signature

LatrobePA
12-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Aaron Smith is out for the season as well. The loss of McFadden also seems to of had a bigger impact than many would have thought. Gay just isn't performing at a very high level this year.

Yep, what he said!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Just from looking at the stats...there appears to be nothing wrong with the Steelers defense. This is the NFL...you can't pitch shutouts every week.

--- Added 12/4/2009 at 08:59 AM ---

Just ran the numbers...

With Troy the Steelers are allowing an average of 272.6 yards a game.

Without Troy the Steelers are allowing an average of 301.5 yards a game.

Without Troy the Steelers allow 10.6% more yardage. Obviously this is a small sample size and a number of other factors are not taken into account (teams played, other injured players, weather, etc)...but you get the idea.

SteelCityKid5
12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I think if Troy can return 100%, the Steelers can make a big run in the playoffs. Without him though, I'm just not that certain. I hope I'm wrong.

ejsteeler
12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Agreed.. any other injuries pending, no Troy = no further than first round if that. And I do not think he has to be 100%. just able to play. IMO

jpele
12-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Look back our defense gave it up in the super bowl,with Smith, Polamalu and McFadden in the lineup the offense won that game. The slide of our D is a continuing problem.

ejsteeler
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM
D can only do so much. You can't expect any D, now matter how good, to shut down a team all game. Sure, it happens, but you can't expect it. You have to be able to score points. I stick by that we have a much better chance with Troy than without.

TampaSteelGirl
12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I "heard" Troy will be back for the Packers game....:banana:

Goodfrom55
12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Biggest problem is when the Defense executes a blitz, if they don't get there, our secondary (minus Troy) is extremely ordinary and unskilled. QB's read blitz, call a hot route and beat the blitz.

However, if the corners, primarily Gay would shorten their cushion from 10 yards to 6 or 7 yards, it would take away the slant which would force the QB's to hold onto the ball a second or so longer. . .leading to more sacks and ill advised passes.

--- Added 12/4/2009 at 04:48 PM ---

and the tackling MUST improve. Too many torpedo tackling and not enough hitting and wrapping up.

Ironman
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Smith and Troy dominate their perspective positions. With them being out for an extended period of time just kills us. Plus those that said the loss of McFadden has taken a tougher toll than expected I completely agree.

LatrobePA
12-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Take aways! Our DB's have 0 on the year!! That's pretty bad....

Goodfrom55
12-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Take aways! Our DB's have 0 on the year!! That's pretty bad....

Not necessarilly true. Troy has 3 or 4, Carter has 2, Clark has 2 I think. All together, they have 8 (I think). problem is the opportunities they have dropped keep drives alive (Ike INT Drop in OT vs. KC) Several dropped opportunities in Baltimore. . .

Let a bad team hang around long enough and they will eventually figure out a way to beat you.

SteelerRush
12-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the defense it is a combination of the offense struggling with penalty's and missed oppurtunities and leaving our defense in short yardage situations late in games. With the talent on our offensive skill positions we should never be in the situation to lose games by 3 points.
Troy would certainly help but our offense needs to stop making critical mistakes in the second half.

LatrobePA
12-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Not necessarilly true. Troy has 3 or 4, Carter has 2, Clark has 2 I think. All together, they have 8 (I think). problem is the opportunities they have dropped keep drives alive (Ike INT Drop in OT vs. KC) Several dropped opportunities in Baltimore. . .

Let a bad team hang around long enough and they will eventually figure out a way to beat you.

DB's need to pitch in and catch the ones in their hands...Our Safety spots are doing OK with creating TO's never enough though!

jpele
12-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the defense .

Just saying

Balt.
4th quarter leading 17-14
10 plays 84 yards tie.
OT...6 plays 17 yards win

Kansas City
4 th quarter Pittsburgh winning 24-17
8 plays 91 yards tie....OT. 5 plays 76 yards win.

Cincinnati#2
4 th quarter tied
9 plays 50 yards 15-12 cincinnati
11 plays 54 yards 18 -12 game over

Detroit yea we won but....
leading 28-13
we allowed them a 7 play 82 yard scoring drive

San Diego again we won but

up 35-14 game should have been sealed we gave up a
4 play 67 yard scoring drive followed by a
3 play 54 yard scoring drive to mak ethe game close

Cincinnati #1
leading 20-9 4th quarter

6 plays 85 yards 6 points extra point incomplete
16 plays 71 yards winning score and two point conversion.

Chicago
leading 14-7 4th quarter
9 plays 72 yards tie.
8 plays 41 yards for the win

SteelerRush
12-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree the defense was responsible for half those loses but our offense prior to those drives had an opportunity to win the games, but had penalties or dropped passes that made us kick the ball to the other team with time on the clock. That I put the Arians offense of passing when you are trying to run out the clock. Defenses are expecting it and we continue to give it to them. Arians needs to change things up in the fourth quarter.