PDA

View Full Version : Ward Makes Guarantee

Phenomenal TJ
12-03-2009, 04:56 AM
Forget the apology Hines Ward delivered to his teammates yesterday. You should have heard his guarantee.

While he did not use the precise word uttered by a long-gone young defensive back two years ago before the Steelers played at New England, and while it occurred in a different context, Ward made some assurances about Sunday's game against Oakland in Heinz Field.

He did not guarantee a victory; he guaranteed the season would be over if they lose.

"The playoffs officially begin for us this week. You lose, we're pretty much out of it," Ward stated. "We know what's at stake. Our playoff season begins this weekend. This team knows if we lose we're pretty much out of it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09337/1018059-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0Yc8sk2UI

steelerjames
12-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Ward is right on. If the steelers lose they are out.:eek1::eek1::cursin:

Ibleedblk&gld
12-03-2009, 08:36 AM
my 5 month old could have guaranteed that...this isn't rocket science

franchise3
12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I think 10-6 makes it this year.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Hopefully this will be a run like they had in 05 with the same type of ending:crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Leave it to the media to blow something out of proportion like that; people say that stuff every week when they're on the brink like we are. It's no secret, and the players know it, if we lose this game we don't deserve any more chances. Let's face it here guys, the Raiders are the Raiders, they aren't very good and by rights we should beat them every time we play them. However this year being what it is, there is no guarantee so it's win or go home as far we should be concerened.

LatrobePA
12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
This team shouldn't even be in this spot, the few blown games will haunt them!

Scorp
12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
C'MON STEELERS...IT'S TIME. :cope:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Not really feeling that guarantee...pretty sure 10-6 makes the playoffs...and pretty sure no one on here will concede the season if the Steelers lose this weekend. That said, I'd be shocked if the Steelers lost to the Raiders.

75Steeler
12-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Hopefully this will be a run like they had in 05 with the same type of ending:crossfingers:

I'd go for that. It's still a long road though. :cope:

TampaSteelGirl
12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Not really feeling that guarantee...pretty sure 10-6 makes the playoffs...and pretty sure no one on here will concede the season if the Steelers lose this weekend. That said, I'd be shocked if the Steelers lost to the Raiders.

We shouldn't lose but we shouldn't have lost to the Chiefs or the Bengals but he is right if we lose this one, we can kiss the playoffs goodbye..but I think they are embarrassed enough and won't lose this one!! :yellowthumb:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-03-2009, 12:18 PM
We shouldn't lose but we shouldn't have lost to the Chiefs or the Bengals but he is right if we lose this one, we can kiss the playoffs goodbye..but I think they are embarrassed enough and won't lose this one!! :yellowthumb:

My main issue with the guarantee is 10-6 likely makes the playoffs...if the Steelers were to lose to the Raiders they would still be in playoff contention...assuming that a loss to the Steelers means no playoffs, assumes another loss to someone else, which is not a great mindset. That said...I get what he's getting at...this week's game against the Raiders is very important.

yinzer
12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
misleading title for that article.

franchise3
12-03-2009, 01:15 PM
My main issue with the guarantee is 10-6 likely makes the playoffs...if the Steelers were to lose to the Raiders they would still be in playoff contention...assuming that a loss to the Steelers means no playoffs, assumes another loss to someone else, which is not a great mindset. That said...I get what he's getting at...this week's game against the Raiders is very important.

I agree with you 100%. Even if we lose there is still a chance although 95% would say there is no chance for whatever reason.

Big T
12-03-2009, 01:20 PM
What a bad title. Guarantee? Isn't he just stating the obvious?

TampaSteelGirl
12-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Exactly! What I hate is having to have this record at this date in time...waiting for other teams as well...last year was just so much nicer!! :greengrin:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Exactly! What I hate is having to have this record at this date in time...waiting for other teams as well...last year was just so much nicer!! :greengrin:

Eh...it makes it more fun (provided they win). Last year you were probably a bit bored in December.

franchise3
12-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Eh...it makes it more fun (provided they win). Last year you were probably a bit bored in December.

Bored watching Titans stomp the terrible towel but Joe Flacco took care of them quickly :)

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Bored watching Titans stomp the terrible towel but Joe Flacco took care of them quickly :)

They still cruised into/through the playoffs. My favorite part of the Titans/Ravens game was Chris Johnson getting taken out.

Blazedby92
12-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Leave it to the media to blow something out of proportion like that; people say that stuff every week when they're on the brink like we are. It's no secret, and the players know it, if we lose this game we don't deserve any more chances. Let's face it here guys, the Raiders are the Raiders, they aren't very good and by rights we should beat them every time we play them. However this year being what it is, there is no guarantee so it's win or go home as far we should be concerened.
:clap:

DITTO

TampaSteelGirl
12-03-2009, 09:03 PM
They still cruised into/through the playoffs. My favorite part of the Titans/Ravens game was Chris Johnson getting taken out.

Ooohh yea I enjoyed that too!! Loved seeing the Ravens taking the Titans out! Kinda weird huh? :lol:

Woodson_DownUnder
12-05-2009, 10:16 AM

I agree... own worst enemy.

Only haunts the likes of the play callers perhaps. (Arians?) .. what's the deal with needing to play the pass more time than not, when 1st & 10 in the redzone when leading?? :cursin:

Wasn't the Conf Championship of 2004 a massive slap in the gob? (Ben ought to know it's not worth chasing stats to keep up with Brees). The run it down their throats philosphy needs to be embraced and the 4th quarter motto is all about keeping the foot firmly on the oppositions throat... chew the clock..preserve the lead. No more passing into coverage when the Steelers have the lead 10+ for crying out loud. :rant2: Common sense needs to be adhered to. :yesnod: Beating the spread is 'style points' ...as coach Tomlin one said, style points don't matter, it's about winning!!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Back to this guarantee...does this mean the Steelers will quit trying? Cause it would make things a lot easier on my boys if they did. Just asking.