PDA

View Full Version : Raiders vs. Steelers, what was once a great rivalry…

RaiderInNY
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Link to a piece I wrote today, depicting the consistency of the Steelers, their front-office etc., and the varying differences in Oakland:
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/2396.html

LarryNJ
12-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Nice article thanks!

For those of you who are too young to remember this rivalry think of the Steelers ravens and multipy it by 20. It was that intense and there was that much hatred. What a fun time in Pittsburgh and Oakland that was. Starting with Franco's Immaculate Reception. It was full of hard hits, some dirty, great plays, players and coaches. One of the best was a playoff game at # rivers the Raider accused the Steelers of watering down their side of the field. hahaha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJyn_Y8zSU

LatrobePA
12-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Sunday will be a game not a blow out of any shape or form!

Steel Trap86
12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
The Raiders might make a game out of it.

Stlrs4Life
12-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Nice story. The Steelers wouldn't blow out my HS team.

DanRooney
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I got 10 bucks on the Raiders

LarryNJ
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Here's a great story about them. I find it hard to believe Al told Noll to play Bradshaw. Although I do believe Bradshaw ask to be traded. But the funniest is the last 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aT6he8ISpc&feature=PlayList&p=9489B20B1EF3E76D&index=6

SteelCityKid5
12-02-2009, 11:52 PM
So far we've played to the level of the competition.. I still see the Steelers winning though

Scorp
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
It use to be a great rivalry, yes. But obviously times have changed. These two didn't play as often like in the 70's and early 80's. I remember a few of their battles. But, new rivalries were born like the Steelers/Ratbirds. Will this one outdo the Steelers/Raiders. I think so, if it has not already. Out with the old and in with the new.

LarryNJ
12-03-2009, 11:39 AM
. But, new rivalries were born like the Steelers/Ratbirds. Will this one outdo the Steelers/Raiders. I think so, if it has not already.

I agree that the Ravens/Steelers may out do it simply because we are in the same division and play each other more often.

But I don't think that it has or will ever out do the intensity. Today's players are simply different. It's a game today, they even help the other team up after a play. Back than it was a war, they punched, or kicked you after a play.

I'd like to see the Browns get good again so we could renew that rivalry.

Scorp
12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree that the Ravens/Steelers may out do it simply because we are in the same division and play each other more often.

But I don't think that it has or will ever out do the intensity. Today's players are simply different. It's a game today, they even help the other team up after a play. Back than it was a war, they punched, or kicked you after a play.

I'd like to see the Browns get good again so we could renew that rivalry.

That is so very true LarryNJ. Football back then was awesome. It was hard hitting and ferocious. Too many rules to protect players now. They are both great in their own right.