PDA

View Full Version : IS IT OVER FOR THE DEFENDING CHAMPS?

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
With 5 games to go, does anyone think this team can get it together and make the playoffs? Or does this team look like they are really going to need help to get in?

LarryNJ
11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

I think they'll make the playoffs.

JensK
11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.

Steel Trap86
11-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Playoffs? It's not over yet, we can still sneak in there, our remaining schedule is not as tough as the Jags or the Ravens, but with the way this team has been giving the game away in the 4th Quarter, I am having trouble believing that we can win 10 games. We need to finish 11-5 or 10-6 at the very least. If we drop this one to the Raiders we're done.

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 03:28 PM
With 5 games to go, does anyone think this team can get it together and make the playoffs? Or does this team look like they are really going to need help to get in?

I still think they will get in Dean because their schedule and the teams they are chasing schedules such as the Jags,Broncos,,and even the Ravens are much tougher then the Steelers the last 5 games. The Steelers have 3 of their next 4 games at home and their next 2 games are against the Raiders and the Browns. Now after the Chiefs loss a few weeks ago nothing is a sure thing but Im telling you right now if the Steelers would dare drop either one of these next 2 games to Oakland at Heinz Field or in Cleveland to the 1-10 Browns heads better be rolling on this coaching staff. Keep in mind as well even though the Broncos are still a game ahead of the Steelers for the wildcard spot the Steelers still own the head to head tiebraker over them. So as long as Denver loses another game or two which they will the Steelers will overtake them. Also, as long as they keep pace with the Ravens until that game here in late December and have the same record as they do which looking at both the Steelers and Ravens schedule they definitely should be able to do that the loss last night in Baltimore will be a complete wash. The Steelers are still in good position to make the playoffs despite the loss last night they just need to stop ****ing around and win these games they are supposed too...

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm personally taking it one game at a time....:yesnod:

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Playoffs? It's not over yet, we can still sneak in there, our remaining schedule is not as tough as the Jags or the Ravens, but with the way this team has been giving the game away in the 4th Quarter, I am having trouble believing that we can win 10 games. We need to finish 11-5 or 10-6 at the very least. If we drop this one to the Raiders we're done.

Im with you on that one Steel. If the Raiders who have been absolutely pathetic while playing on the East Coast dare come in here and beat the Steelers this season is officially over. These next 2 games with the Raiders at home and at Cleveland against the Browns on the Thursday night should both be games that are won and decided at the half or early in the 3rd quarter...

Steelers_All_Day_43
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Of course its not over.

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm personally taking it one game at a time....:yesnod: DO WE WIN THE NEXT GAME?

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
DO WE WIN THE NEXT GAME?

We damn well better my friend....:greengrin:

Big T
11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Im with you on that one Steel. If the Raiders who have been absolutely pathetic while playing on the East Coast dare come in here and beat the Steelers this season is officially over. These next 2 games with the Raiders at home and at Cleveland against the Browns on the Thursday night should both be games that are won and decided at the half or early in the 3rd quarter...

Should be, but won't be....the raiders game could easily be a trap game. They've played ok ball at times this season and have beaten quality teams(eagles, bengals).

I wouldn't be suprised if we lost to Oakland...I'd be more suprised if we actually blew them out. But it will be a close game, depending on who's injured, but we SHOULD win.

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Should be, but won't be....the raiders game could easily be a trap game. They've played ok ball at times this season and have beaten quality teams(eagles, bengals).

I wouldn't be suprised if we lost to Oakland...I'd be more suprised if we actually blew them out. But it will be a close game, depending on who's injured, but we SHOULD win.

No game at this point should be a trap game for the Steelers period. If the Steelers were like the Colts and 11-0 and had the Raiders coming in here then yes there would be a little bit of an excuse for a trap game but not when you have just lost 3 games in a row and are fighting for your playoff lives. The Steelers need to take everybody seriously and not go into any game anymore thinking it's a gimmie. Especially seeing what took place in KC a week ago.

The Raiders have beaten some quality teams this year in the Eagles and Bengals but both of those wins came in Oakland where they play much better football for whatever reason. West coast teams historically do not fair well on the East Coast in 1 o clock games because of the time difference. I dont know why but it's a fact of life in the NFL if you go back in time and look it up. This game will be just like the Chiefs game if the Steelers dont jump on the Raiders early and often in this game and give them opportunities they will eventually take advantage of them. The worst possible thing for the Steelers to do in this game would be to let Oakland come out and get the lead in this game. The Steelers need to come out end this thing early in the first and second quarter and get up by 17-21 points. If that happens the Raiders with Gradkowski at QB who still is not very good will not have enough to come back and beat the Steelers at Heinz Field...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Mathematically we are not out of it, not by any means. This team has proven time and time again that when their backs are against the wall they come out swinging and we find a way to get into the post season.

That was then, this is now, so while we are not mathematically out of it we sure as hell don't look like a team that has any chance of getting too, much less winning a post season game.

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Mathematically we are not out of it, not by any means. This team has proven time and time again that when their backs are against the wall they come out swinging and we find a way to get into the post season.

That was then, this is now, so while we are not mathematically out of it we sure as hell don't look like a team that has any chance of getting too, much less winning a post season game.

This team just has to learn to finish TG it's that simple. They are playing well enough to win it seems until the final 5 minutes of the game. Whatever the problems are they had better figure them out and figure them out fast. Id start by benching William Gay and like you said go back to Deshea starting in the secondary. Right now Gay is a complete liability out there and cannot be trusted to do anything...

V_83
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

First of all, nice Animal House reference LarryNJ.

Secondly, no I don't think we are out of the playoffs. We've lost some close games because of injuries, and bad play calling. The play calling won't get better but BB, and Troy should. We've got some very easy games coming up on the schedule so we will either win these games and make the playoffs, or won't and miss them. Injuries or not, if we can't at least beat the Raiders and Browns then we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

UKSTEELER
11-30-2009, 04:38 PM
There's only one thing for it . . . .

Toga party!:bunny:

Zachintosh66
11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
like i said in a prev post...

if this the playoffs were a cartoon... we'd be the coyote hanging on to the cliff by one finger...

LarryNJ
11-30-2009, 04:58 PM
There's only one thing for it . . . .

Toga party!:bunny:

Honestly, UK, you're twenty-one years old. In six months you're going to graduate, and tomorrow night you're going to wrap yourself in a bed sheet and pour grain alcohol all over your head. It's cute, but I think I'll pass this time.

Goodfrom55
11-30-2009, 05:11 PM
There are 5 winnable games left on the schedule, but the Steelers can't just show up and expect to win. 11-5 SHOULD buy the Steelers a wild card.

I think Tomlin needs to unify the locker room and prepare this team for Oakland.

And to that point, Tomlin needs to stop being such a player's coach to the veteran players and kick them in their hind parts. You never hear this drama coming from the NE locker room.

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
There are 5 winnable games left on the schedule, but the Steelers can't just show up and expect to win. 11-5 SHOULD buy the Steelers a wild card.

I think Tomlin needs to unify the locker room and prepare this team for Oakland.

And to that point, Tomlin needs to stop being such a player's coach to the veteran players and kick them in their hind parts. You never hear this drama coming from the NE locker room.

After the so called "gimmie" game with the Chiefs a week ago that turned into a loss all bets are off. However; with that being said, there is absolutely no reason or excuse in the world no matter if Dixon starts the next 2 weeks and Ben and Troy are both still out for the Steelers to not win these next 2 games against the Raiders and the Browns. The Steelers should be and I say that with extreme caution they "SHOULD" be 8-5 after the game next Thursday with the Browns and have taken back one of those wildcard spots with 10 full days to get ready for the Green Bay Packers who come to Heinz Field on December 20th...

Sir Blitzelot
11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
In my opinion, the Steelers will only make the playoffs if they win out.

Ironman
11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Japan bombed Pearl Harbor amigo

If we lose either of the next 2 games, it's over...

SteelerRush
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
If we lose either one of the next two games then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

With that said I still believe BB can carry this offense to 5+ wins with mistake free football. If BA will let the running game set up the pass it will open lanes with play action for BB. Also the way Mendy is playing right now we should try and get him the ball on short passes out of the back field. Also I see FWP coming in more in the 4th quarter and using his speed when the defense is tired.

Hell ya we can make the playoffs and win a super bowl.:imho:

Goodfrom55
11-30-2009, 07:55 PM
All I know is if the Steelers make the playoffs, they will be the (1) team that no one wants to draw in the 1st round. Gut feeling (and I have a big gut, ) Steelers go 5-0.

LarryNJ
11-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Japan bombed Pearl Harbor amigo

:anon:

There no doubt there will be a 6 loss team in the playoffs...maybe even 7

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
All I know is if the Steelers make the playoffs, they will be the (1) team that no one wants to draw in the 1st round. Gut feeling (and I have a big gut, ) Steelers go 5-0.

Im with you on that especially if the Steelers are on a 5 game winning streak and have momentum going into that first wildcard game. The Bengals Im sure want to get that week off so they avoid playing the Steelers as either the 3 or 4 seed in the first round. The last thing the Bengals want to have to deal with is playing the Steelers in their first playoff game at home and having the tough tough task of trying to beat a team 3 times. You can rest assure if the Steelers do get the Bengals one more time in the playoffs especially if it's the first game of wildcard weekend the Bengals will have to go through hell and back to beat them a 3rd time.

Scorp
11-30-2009, 11:55 PM
As much as i love the Steelers, you can't always expect them to go to the big game let alone the playoffs. If it's meant to be, Steelers will find a way to pull it out. I'm not leaning twards them going to the playoffs because of injuries and bad play calling etc. etc. Playoffs or not i'm behind the Steelers 100%.

steelfury455
12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
i think the steelers need to be hungry to put some fire back in the attitude. just isnt there this year. maybe not making the playoffs will do that. if we back in the playoffs and put those couple things together that prevented us to win the close ones we could repeat. do i see it happening? not even close.

Phenomenal TJ
12-01-2009, 03:05 AM
I refuse to quit on this team, because they haven't quit on me.

So no, it's not over until week 18 rolls around and we're not on the field.

JensK
12-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Well, if we win out we are in. I believe that 10-6 will be enough to get a WC spot this year. 11-5 is probably good enough to win the division (imo)

lloydfan4life
12-01-2009, 07:42 AM

I think they'll make the playoffs.

:rofl: that was my first thought too! :yellowthumb:

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes6/animalhouse347.jpeg

UKSTEELER
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
lose to the Raidhuuuurs . . .

and my advice to EVERYONE . . .

is to start drinking heavily! :cope:

Charlie
12-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I still have faith!!!!!!!!! :) :tt02:

Richmond Rukus
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
IMO, we need to win 4 of the next 5 to make the playoffs. We absolutely have to win the next 2 games and against Baltimore. I think we could afford a loss to either the Packers or Dolphins and still get in. If we drop any, the Packers would be the game as it is out of conference. Our schedule looks like one where running the table is not out of the question, but I have seen nothing to suggest we are capable of doing so. Too many mental mistakes and play calling issues to pull out 5 straight right now. I really hope they prove me wrong.

Ironman
12-02-2009, 02:31 AM
[QUOTE=UKSTEELER;320624and my advice to EVERYONE . . .

is to start drinking heavily! :cope:[/QUOTE]

I give that advice out every day my friend :cope:

steelers4life66
12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Honestly, UK, you're twenty-one years old. In six months you're going to graduate, and tomorrow night you're going to wrap yourself in a bed sheet and pour grain alcohol all over your head. It's cute, but I think I'll pass this time.

TOGA....TOGA....TOGA.....TOGA!!!!!!:banana:

LarryNJ
12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqnoULgD30

TampaSteelGirl
12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
IT AIN'T OVER TILL BIG SNACK SINGS.... :grin1:

JensK
12-03-2009, 12:52 AM
IT AIN'T OVER TILL BIG SNACK SINGS.... :grin1:

Which, however, probably will be the end of all things as we have known them O.o