PDA

View Full Version : War in the Locker Room

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I hate rumors and rumor mongerers and it is becoming apperant that both exist in the steelers locker room. I believed all along that the problem with the steelers this year was hidden deep inside the lr and ward has partially confirmed this (rant against ben last night with costas). Once that kind of poison starts the end result is complete loss of confidence in your leaders and on and on. Anyone else see this for what it is?

Moondog
11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Anyone else concerned about the state of the Steeler's locker room? There have been all kinds of players speaking out publicly questioning decisions being made (Hines, Holmes comments, etc). This Terrell Owenish behavior is not the Steeler way. What happened to the "band of brothers' mentality of 2008? I think Tomlin is losing control of this team if he hasn't already. I think he has to stop the bleeding quick or this could get uglier.

Thoughts?

JensK
11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Ehm, i kinda understand Hines on this one. They train all week long with the believe that Ben is playing, in one of the most important games in a while, and saturday afternoon they are getting told that its not the case. I would be crazy mad too. He is, afterall, the leader of the team, and when the team has prepared for him being in, its inexcusable that they pull him out less than 24 hours before the game..

Prosdo
11-30-2009, 02:28 PM
When times get rough tempers fly and people look everywhere to place blame. I'm not overly concerned right now, but if the trend continues I might be.

*EDIT* Merged the Band of Brothers thread and War in the Locker Room thread because they were dealing with the same issues.

LarryNJ
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I think Ward should have kept his mouth shut, ...here's his response today:

"I'm not going to question Ben's toughness; the guy came back from a motorcycle incident (in 2006) and played that whole year. So me questioning his toughness, that was never the case. It wasn't me calling Ben out."

"It was just me frustrated, because I knew what type of game Baltimore was going to be not having No. 7 out there and having our backs against the wall."

Moondog
11-30-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm just not used to the Steelers airing their dirty laundry. IMO I think Ward and Holmes need to stfu when it comes to the media. It causes a lot of distraction. I have no problem with them having issues with how things are going, but they should keep it in house.

Zachintosh66
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM
I think its being blown outta proportion.

Ward was being honest. Ben called Tomlin begging to play, so if thats the case its not Bens fault. If the OL would block someone Ben might not of gotten the knee :stirpot:

I still think it was all political and the NFL "forced the Steelers hand" by making Ben sit... all this concussion **** is outta control. It looks like there will be playing time rules pertaining the "C" word by next season, if not sooner.

playboy pryor
11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
this is Ward fault on this one. keep your comments to yourself. The meia will eat this up for the next couple of weeks. i hope, the steelers will ignore the feedbacks off this and focus on the Raiders!!!!!!!

franchise3
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I think Ward should have kept his mouth shut, ...here's his response today:

"I'm not going to question Ben's toughness; the guy came back from a motorcycle incident (in 2006) and played that whole year. So me questioning his toughness, that was never the case. It wasn't me calling Ben out."

"It was just me frustrated, because I knew what type of game Baltimore was going to be not having No. 7 out there and having our backs against the wall."

That's why you keep your mouth shut when you are frustrated and not talk to the media. Ward should have known better. Now the headlines are saying that he has a problem with Ben when actually I don't think he has (because it is obvious to even JoeFlaccosayshi that Ben wanted to play and Tomlin wouldn't let him). That's what happens when you talk to the media.

P.S. I wish it was Ben begging Tomlin to keep BA's job and Tomlin still firing BA, haha.

coldrolled
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
That's why you keep your mouth shut when you are frustrated and not talk to the media. Ward should have known better. Now the headlines are saying that he has a problem with Ben when actually I don't think he has (because it is obvious to even JoeFlaccosayshi that Ben wanted to play and Tomlin wouldn't let him). That's what happens when you talk to the media.

P.S. I wish it was Ben begging Tomlin to keep BA's job and Tomlin still firing BA, haha.

really, i have the feeling ben hates the arians.

he just has to keep his mouth shut and be happy.

so there is no owen's type incedent....

tomlin needs to pull the trigger on BA.

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I"m a huge Hines fan but I was furious when I was watching his interview!!! FURIOUS! to throw your boy under the bus...unexcusable! The decison was made to sit Ben out period....who is Hines to judge that???

He definately was questioning this toughness ,why else would he possibly say that....that being said when Hines said he has lied to the Dr..stupidity, could have cause us to lose a big game when you aren't near 100% and the possiblity of ending your career...having a knee, hammy or quad injury is one thing but a head injury is something that can not be lied about nor anything to mess with. Tomlin made the right decision to keep him out, I don't beleive for one minute he would have played for one minute of that game no matter how bad it got...maybe Ben wanted to suit up to feel more part of the team...who knows and who are we to judge? Hines was straight up wrong to even open his mouth and sometimes I get so pissed because ever since he got that MVP award he's different....maybe it's just me. I love Hines but he was wrong here and I can imagine how it would cause tension in the locker room...how did Hines like it when Ben was calling on that tall receiver????? :grin1:

LatrobePA
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I heard a rumor today: Bruce was showering with the guys after the game (don't know why) and kept dropping his soap on purpose in front of Ben...Not sure if I believe it or not!

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I heard a rumor today: Bruce was showering with the guys after the game (don't know why) and kept dropping his soap on purpose in front of Ben...Not sure if I believe it or not!

:gal:

LatrobePA
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
:gal:

WHAT?? lol

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 04:55 PM
WHAT?? lol

U crazy baby! :grin1:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
You knew this was going to happen guys, sooner or later tempers were going to flare and somebody was going to say something. The core players on this team that know what's up are pissed off and looking for answers. If Tomlin doesn't fix this quick he's going to have some serious issues on his hands.

They should have informed the players as soon as the headaches started earlier in the week after practice of what was up so they could be prepared just in case.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Honestly, this just really bothers me. Should Hines have spoken out, no of course not but he's frustrated and so is the rest of the team. If you're Tomlin how in the hell do you not let your players know that Ben is experiencing headaches after practice. The day after Ben started getting them Tomlin should have told the team in a meeting, " hey guys, Ben is starting to get some headaches now, we're not sure how bad but we're going to keep an eye on him and see how it goes for gametime". A simple 15 second speech could have saved us all a lot of aggravation and this whole scenario.

Ward is right though that players lie to trainers and doctors all the time, so they can play. Ben is as tough as they come, there is no doubt about it and deep down Hines knows Ben wanted to play. If anything he's more pissed at Tomlin for holding him out as much as he is just frustrated at 3 straight losses. Hines is a football player, he says what other players think but won't say sometimes. The real issue here is that Tomlin shouldn't have talked to the media saying Ben is great, he'll play :blah: , without coming back later in the week and saying hey, something is up now we need to check him more.

This team is in unfamiliar territory right now, they don't lose 3 games in a row, EVER, so it's natural to be pissed off and frustrated.

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 05:36 PM
If this sorry *** football team would win these close games then there would be no negative crap going on in or out of that locker room. Its the same with every team. You lose, and people cry. 90% of the time its going to be a WR....Even the tough ones....lol

TheButt
11-30-2009, 06:17 PM
LOL - you guys are funny, I watched the Hines interview,, and he dint say anything to "throw Ben" under the bus. The media,, mainly that douchebag Rodney Harrison blew it all out of proportion... F him and F the media. You guys are doing exactly what you claim Hines did to Ben,you guys are throwing him under the bus.....

Shame on you all !!

And Im dead serious on that one.

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
LOL - you guys are funny, I watched the Hines interview,, and he dint say anything to "throw Ben" under the bus. The media,, mainly that douchebag Rodney Harrison blew it all out of proportion... F him and F the media. You guys are doing exactly what you claim Hines did to Ben,you guys are throwing him under the bus.....

Shame on you all !!

And Im dead serious on that one.He did throw him under the bus, if he didn't, he wouldn't have asked to speak with Ben today about what was said. And what I got from it, was him throwing him under the bus for not being tough enough....

franchise3
11-30-2009, 07:53 PM
He did throw him under the bus, if he didn't, he wouldn't have asked to speak with Ben today about what was said. And what I got from it, was him throwing him under the bus for not being tough enough....

Negative. Hines wanted to talk to Ben because of the publicity and the way media showed it to the public. NOT because Hines threw him under the bus and/or is questioning Ben's toughness.

weidnerr
11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I believe all the concussion discussions recently forced the Coach to sit Ben. He should have never dressed if he couldn't play. If it truely was a concussion he should have been set down early in the week...He did a great job coaching Dixon Sunday night. Weak use of Dixon was hard to watch. He could have rolled out at least 15 times. If you want to be conservative why not throw to one of the best tightends in the game? Or better yet anyone Ray Lewis is dropping to cover.
Secondary needs to learn to find and Catch the ball...

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
I believe all the concussion discussions recently forced the Coach to sit Ben. He should have never dressed if he couldn't play. If it truely was a concussion he should have been set down early in the week...He did a great job coaching Dixon Sunday night. Weak use of Dixon was hard to watch. He could have rolled out at least 15 times. If you want to be conservative why not throw to one of the best tightends in the game? Or better yet anyone Ray Lewis is dropping to cover.
Secondary needs to learn to find and Catch the ball...

I agree they only rolled Dixon out I believe 3 times on bootlegs and all 3 times he was successful in making big pass completions and the one ended up being a TD pass to Holmes. I would have rolled Dixon out especially in overtime when they got the ball near midfield before the interception. Had they done that and try to use Dixon's legs somehow to make some more plays the Steelers probably end up winning the game last night. It's just so damn frustrating because the Steelers were that close last night to winning a game in Baltimore with their best players out on both offense and defense that I really believe would have turned their season completely around moving forward here going into December and the playoffs...

TheButt
11-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Negative. Hines wanted to talk to Ben because of the publicity and the way media showed it to the public. NOT because Hines threw him under the bus and/or is questioning Ben's toughness.

Exactly

And as far as getting Dixon out of the pocket... I said from the start on our game talk page.... over and over again GET HIM OUT OF THE POCKET !!.... twice when he did BOTH resulted in touchdowns....one thrown and one ran. We all knew it.. I cant understand why the coaches did not try this more often,, Im not saying every other play or anything , but 3 damn times !!! He should have had at least 10 attempts to roll out of the pocket in that game.

Moe Rons.

--- Added 11/30/2009 at 07:03 PM ---

One more thing on this Ben thing.. If anything I think Hines was questioning Tomlins decision to sit Ben...Ben said he felt fine, Ben practiced all week , and now hes not gonna play...kinda shrugged his shoulders at that point I think.. and he dint try throw coach under the bus either.. he may have been frustrated.. dint know all the details of the situation , any number of things.

But for anyone to even compare Hines to T.O. and this or that attitude is wrong. All this talk about Hines should "STFU" or "Owenish" behavior..is just stupid talk. Im not calling anyone stupid....just saying. Ok maybe the guy who said "Owenish " in refering to Hines should be stripped of all his Stiller gear for one week and tied to his lazy boy and forced to watch the Browns next week for punishent. Just one week. Im just saying. :nono:

Goodfrom55
11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
You knew this was going to happen guys, sooner or later tempers were going to flare and somebody was going to say something. The core players on this team that know what's up are pissed off and looking for answers. .

As a competitor and a team, there is nothing wrong with being pissed. . .it shows heart, passion, and sometimes ignorance. Air (your) laundry, but keep it in the clubhouse. Reminds me of when Faneca went public about his contract situation. Keep this sh*t out of the papers, because some bottom feeding media will turn this into a major issue which will send shockwaves through the locker room. . .like it has already.

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
It doesnt really matter now because the Baltimore game is now history. Ben didnt end up playing and looking back at it now it ended up being the right decision. Dixon played well enough to win this game the defense just let him down at the end of regulation before OT. The Steelers cant control what has taken place the last 3 games because they are gone. They can only focus on what they can control and that's the 5 games remaining in the season. Hopefully tomorrow at Tomlin's News Conference he addresses this matter one last time and it gets put to bed and the Steelers can start getting back to work and focus on what really matters and that's beating the Oakland Raiders Sunday at Heinz Field. The Steelers really dont have time for these kind of distractions seeing that they have 2 games to prepare for in the next 9-10 days seeing that the Browns game in Cleveland is next Thursday night.

steel-tex
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
B.A. will still be calling the plays - no matter who is qb.....

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Coach Tomlins answer to all of the second guessing and after much chatter all over the sports blogosphere is “We will not go gently,” Tomlin said. “We will unleash hell in December because we have to. We won’t go in a shell. We’ll go into attack mode, because that’s what’s required.”(from yahoo sports sometime today). Would be nice.

Regardless, I am still a fan.:cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-01-2009, 12:49 AM
We all know Hines has gotten alittle Diva since he won his Super Bowl MVP....He still is a tough as nails player and I respect how he plays the game........But even the toughest WR's still can act like a diva at times.....

LatrobePA
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Everyone on here is talking about players in the locker room. Stop and think how his family members felt, this is someones son, brother, nephew etc not just an NFL QB. Think long term is what I'd like to mention to Ward.

BlackGold4vr
12-01-2009, 01:11 AM
I think this is all being blown way out of proportion. They are human beings and subject to intense emotions in the ebb and flow of the season. I don't think this becomes a wedge in the locker room at all. My opinion is that Ben has had a lot to do with this 3 game losing streak. Do I still like Big Ben? You bet! My eyes saw what they saw and Ben hasn't been himself for the last 3 weeks. We will not get out of this funk until Ben gets back on track and Troy comes back. Hopefully it won't be too late. :2cents:

lloydfan4life
12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I agree it's being blow out of proportion, however, I was very disappointed in Hines Ward's comments. That was so out of character for him. I do understand the frustration on his part with the way things have gone lately, but that's no excuse to air those types of comments to the media.

LatrobePA
12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
What Holmes said was a bit more concerning for me....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I just heard Tomlin on sirius about a half hour ago; he seems to be taking the approach of trying to just push this under the rug and move on. He said that Hines called him last night and explained what he meant, and that he wasn't trying to start trouble and that he would talk to Ben and everyone else and make sure things get fixed.

Tomlin said he felt like things were taken out of context and he wanted to leave it at that; but Adam Schein kinda called him on it and said he didn't think saying that the locker room was 50-50 on whether Ben should play; was pretty much how it sounded and not taken out of context. Tomlin then basically beat around the bush alittle bit, talking about what their focus needs to be and he didn't feel that the comments were anything other than venting from frustration over the past few weeks games.

So basically all parties are trying to ignore this and hope it goes away from what I can tell.

He also said they are optimistic that Ben will be able to play this weekend.....but we all know how that went last week sooooo...

igor0190
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Shame on Steeler Nation for believing the media and not having faith in our players. Your playing into the media hype which is exactly what most of you all hate about Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys. Give it a rest.

TampaSteelGirl
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
:deadhorse:

Phenomenal TJ
12-02-2009, 04:09 AM
When Steelers receiver Hines Ward awkwardly called out quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for missing Sunday night's game with a concussion, most league observers assumed that any fallout would be confined to the Pittsburgh locker room.

It's not.

On the same day that Ward said he has apologized to Roethlisberger, Vikings offensive lineman Anthony Herrera, who missed Sunday's game against the Bears with a concussion, took issue with Ward's attitude on the subject.

"Hines is being selfish," Herrera told Alex Marvez and Marty Schottenheimer of Sirius NFL Radio on Tuesday. "Honestly and truly, in our locker room no one questioned my toughness or whether I could play or not. They knew it was a concussion and it was bigger than just football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/01/anthony-herrera-calls-hines-ward-selfish-on-concussion-issue/

LatrobePA
12-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Water under the bridge! I don't think anything of it!

Steel Trap86
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm not so sure Ward was "questioning Ben's toughness", as this Vikings lineman has put it. I think he was more bitter about the way the Steelers handled this situation. After the Chiefs game they say that "Ben is fine, there's no problem he's going to play", but he wasn't fine and so the team is practicing & preparing all week as if Ben is playing, then come Saturday evening they come out and say Ben is sitting and 3rd String QB Dennis Dixon is playing. This changes everything. Ben wanted to play, everybody knows this.

Although I don't agree with them speaking to the media about it, I think for once we've seen the Steelers, as an organization, mishandle a significant situation.

steelers4life66
12-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm not so sure Ward was "questioning Ben's toughness", as this Vikings lineman has put it. I think he was more bitter about the way the Steelers handled this situation. After the Chiefs game they say that "Ben is fine, there's no problem he's going to play", but he wasn't fine and so the team is practicing & preparing all week as if Ben is playing, then come Saturday evening they come out and say Ben is sitting and 3rd String QB Dennis Dixon is playing. This changes everything. Ben wanted to play, everybody knows this.

Although I don't agree with them speaking to the media about it, I think for once we've seen the Steelers, as an organization, mishandle a significant situation.

Exactly, Ward said he didn't mean 2 come across like that. He was mad cuz they said nothing 2 the team until Saturday. That interview was done on Saturday probably just a few hours after the announcement. :2guns:Anthony Herrera needs 2 worry about his own team and STFU!! :doublefinger:

Troyisabeast_43
12-02-2009, 11:43 PM
This topic is getting very old and tiresome by now and to tell you the truth it's pretty much had it if you asked me. The media and the Steelers just need to let it go and the Steelers need to get back to what really matters and that's beating the Oakland Raiders thing Sunday and getting into the playoffs...