PDA

View Full Version : Moore's pass protection

weidnerr
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Why do we keep continually keep seeing Moore get run over by linebackers in pass protection? If your going to keep a back in to block it should be Mendenhall!!!
If your going to throw to Moore then dump it off to him and let the linebacker blow by.

:banging:

Big T
11-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I Mendenhall is completely capable of being the 3rd down back....He has superior pass blocking to Mewelde and Willie, and he's also dangerous coming out of the backfield in the passing game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Moore is the usual 3rd down back, no matter what the play call he's usually in there. He's normally pretty effective at picking up the blitzing pass rusher but last night he got mowed over and had to tackle Lewis to save Dixon from getting crushed.

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 05:23 PM
He really blew it at blocking last night. two big holding calls....boooooo

Goodfrom55
11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
He really blew it at blocking last night. two big holding calls....boooooo

Agree. . .in both of those situations, he has to go low on the blitzer. Standing there and trying to stop a 260 pound LB blitzing full speed isn't going to work.

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Agree. . .in both of those situations, he has to go low on the blitzer. Standing there and trying to stop a 260 pound LB blitzing full speed isn't going to work.
I think he got a flash of what happen to Mendy last year when Ray popped his shoulder....they got those first downs too....what a jerk...

LatrobePA
11-30-2009, 06:00 PM
poopy

Phenomenal TJ
12-01-2009, 04:03 AM
He did spring Dixon on that touchdown run though.

NCSteeler
12-01-2009, 04:08 AM
I like moore alot, but i think his time is passing. Mendy does seem to be a complete back now. He needs to be in on every down, it gives so many more possibilities for the offense. He blocks better, runs better, catches almost as good, and is actually better in space.

Goodfrom55
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Moore is an EXCELLENT 3rd down back - and nothing "more".

Blazedby92
12-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow even the man that does nothing but good things for this team and is one hell of a poor mans "Kevin Faulk" and people want to throw him under the bus now that we might have a complete RB in Mendy.

Miller83
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I agree. Mewelde is an excellent rb with great hands, but shouldnt be blocking. should be lined up alongside Heath Miller, Holmes, Ward, and Wallace in a five wide set to throw to.

Big T
12-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Wow even the man that does nothing but good things for this team and is one hell of a poor mans "Kevin Faulk" and people want to throw him under the bus now that we might have a complete RB in Mendy.

No one is throwing him under the bus

Phenomenal TJ
12-03-2009, 02:27 AM
Why all the hate for Moore?

JensK
12-03-2009, 03:57 AM
I really don't think its hate, its just that Mendenhall outshines him in pretty much all categories atm. He blocks better (who woulda thought?) He runs better, harder, faster, and he ha better hands. Moore has done very well for the Steelers, but Mendenhall is just so much better in all categories imo.

Phenomenal TJ
12-03-2009, 04:26 AM
But, that's why we drafted Mendenhall.

I doubt that anyone felt that Moore was going to come in and be a feature back, all we wanted from him was a third down back. With Mendenhall being better in those aspects, it doesn't mean that we should hate on Moore.

No player is going to make 100% of their blocks, Moore's no different. The fact that it took me to point out the block he threw on the touchdown run shows that no one even wants him on the team anymore.

Hell, I never expected him to be anything special from day one, but he's a decent enough third down back. We're going to employ a third down back no matter if Mendenhall is better at it or not, simply because if we constantly play Mendenhall without letting him take a breather, he's going to fizzle out come two years from now.

If we want a third down back that's going to catch us passes, Reggie Bush may be up for grabs next year. ;)

I do, like I said, agree that Mendenhall is the better back in all of the above, but Moore's got heart, tenacity and toughness - three requirements for playing ball with us.