PDA

View Full Version : I"m impressed with Dixon.....

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 11:35 AM
While the INT was unfortunate I think Dixon looked really good. He seemed like he had alot of confidence out there. Good to know we have a backup we can really rely on. Not sure what was up with the Defense but all in all you can't say much about the Ravens because they just barely beat us with our #3 QB, no Ben, no Troy, no Kemoeatu and no Smith so I think we played pretty well offensively! :clap:

Now we need to win out to make the playoffs right???

J.OTSTOTT
11-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree the guy looked great out there! His first pass was a WTF but he bounced back fast I think. He looked very depressed after the pick but its a rookie mistake that he will learn from.

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I can accept a loss like this, granted we needed this game desperately and yes it was the Ravens however I have not accepted our 2 losses past, Chiefs and Bengals because he didn't fight to win. Granted we have some issues but this game was pretty good and I can accept a loss fought hard. Make sense?

I hope Dixon isn't too hard on himself, for his first NFL game I felt he played terrific! Would love to see a little more of him believe it or not!! :greengrin:

LatrobePA
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Dixon looked good, I'd liked to see him use his feet a bit more late in the game to pick up key 1st downs but overall pleased!

Hey no sacks, is that the first time in years they went a game with out one??

LarryNJ
11-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Yes that DD was one of the bright spots. But I don't want to see him anymore until next preseason! :)

We probably could still lose one more and make the playoffs. In fact it's not out of the question that a 9-7 team makes the playoffs in the AFC although we'd lose a lot of the tie breakers.

franchise3
11-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't think he played great or even good, it was just ok. I also don't think he is a QB we can really rely on as tampasteelgirl said. Maybe I would change my mind if he had a chance to play few more games. However, playcalling was bad and we couldn't see his strength, RUNNING. Look at the plays that he ran. TD and what was it 25-30 yard run put back because of a hold? I thought most of his passes were pretty off and that's why I say he was ok. Certainly I am not blaming him for the loss. We couldn't have hoped that he would play better in the 1st game and at Baltimore. I like the kid though!

Zachintosh66
11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
you cant argue with 2 td and only 1 int. we all figured he'd prolly throw an int, he just did it at the wrong time...

poor kid, thumbs up to what i saw. I was scratching my head why they didnt let him take off with it a couple more time tho...

Moondog
11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
He gave the team the lead with six minutes to go. When what essentially is your 3rd string QB gets the lead in the 4th, the D has to protect it...they didn't.

weidnerr
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I was impressed with Nixon in the 1st half. He missed some really easy throws in the 2nd half especially 15 yards to Wallace on a down and out. The coach should have mixed the plays up better. Keep it short and simple. Why not hit Heath 10 times? Run on 1st, run on 2nd, throw on 3rd. I blame the coaches the most for not rolling him out more and using his gift of being a great runner if the coverage is good in the secondary. In overtime he could have won it by just running. He missed Heath who was wide open right in front of him on 3rd down for an easy 10-15 yards at the end of regulation.

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Well he thew a good one to Wallace in the end zone Wallace let slip thru his fingers and yes I agree that Heath should have been used more....as ususal but he ran for 31 yrds o that play early in the game....but with the penalties (which killed us) should have been another potential TD...I like the fact he gets rid of the ball faster!! :yellowthumb:

JensK
11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Well he thew a good one to Wallace in the end zone Wallace let slip thru his fingers and yes I agree that Heath should have been used more....as ususal but he ran for 31 yrds o that play early in the game....but with the penalties (which killed us) should have been another potential TD...I like the fact he gets rid of the ball faster!! :yellowthumb:

That was not Wallace who lost it, it was just great defensive play.

I do, however, agree that Dixon should have used Miller more, but that is a rookie QB making rookie mistakes. You have to remember, he has been learning from Ben who, of al QBs, do not know how to throw to your safety checkdown..

Scorp
11-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Well done Dixon. You played very well despite your miscues and int's. No qb is perfect. Chin up and be ready to play another day.

playboy pryor
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
good point!!! the play calling didn't include miller at all. the running backs should gotten more passess too!

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
That was not Wallace who lost it, it was just great defensive play.

I do, however, agree that Dixon should have used Miller more, but that is a rookie QB making rookie mistakes. You have to remember, he has been learning from Ben who, of al QBs, do not know how to throw to your safety checkdown..

That ball went right threw his fingers in the end zone!!!!!!! Come on man......

JensK
11-30-2009, 05:04 PM
That ball went right threw his fingers in the end zone!!!!!!! Come on man......

I just rewatched it, and the watched it again, he never had a chance on that ball. The defender had a hand between Wallace hands, and knocked the ball to the ground. You can go rewatch it, and come back and say im right.

Goodfrom55
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
For a guy WHO DIDN'T HAVE MANY REPS ALL WEEK, I thought he did a good job. Just wondering why the coaches didn't call more designed roll outs and bootlegs because the Ravens couldn't touch him speed-wise.

I honestly expected much worse fropm him, but was happy to see the guy can play. Just think how he might play if he actually got practice time during the week.

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I think even in a loss, Dirty Dennis Dixon showed he should be our #2. He needs more time with the WR, and he will get that timing down. Not sure if you all know this but he was a blown knee away from winning the Heisman. And yes there is no doubt he would have won it. That injury cost him from being a first or early 2nd round pick. Batch is finished at #2. The guy is loved by me and most everyone else but he's had two plays in two years and has gotten himself hurt both times. Its Dixons time now, and I look forward to him coming in and adding a slash style or wildcat to this no identity offense. We need to use him to our advantage because the guy is a great athlete.....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Dixon played a nice first half, and then went completely belly up in the 2nd half. Except for the TD run, which was awesome, he misfired on 14 of his last 16 pass attempts I think it was. He started telegraphing his throws, forcing the ball, and trying to do too much and the Ratbirds caught onto him.

It's to be expected though, he started feeling the pressure and it got to him but he fought hard and didn't give up, give him props for that. The defense didn't help him either, and the lack of rollouts and scrambles in his playbook didn't help either.

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I say we get rid of Chubbyburger, and go with Dixon. If Ben gets any fatter he can play OL, and block for Dixon.

LarryNJ
11-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I say we get rid of Chubbyburger, and go with Dixon. If Ben gets any fatter he can play OL, and block for Dixon.
:lol::lol::lol:

Dean Denton
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Thanks for laughing, it was suppose to be funny. I would never bench my Chubbyburger....lol

Sir Blitzelot
11-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Dixon certainly exceeded my expectations. I will be the first to admit I was not confident at all about our chances with him under center. But, the guy played one hell of a game and almost pulled off a monumental win. Even though it ended in a losing effort, Dixon has nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure his performance last night earned him much respect with Steeler Nation, he definitely earned mine.