PDA

View Full Version : State of the Steelers: My Take

DanRooney
11-30-2009, 02:46 AM
The season is officially over with in this loss. Technically, you could say it was over with when we played the Bengals and lost for second time. Yeah we may or may not make the playoffs, but we're not winning more than a game, with or without Troy. With that, here is my two cents on where the Steelers are.

-Arians is officially on Tomlin's hotseat. He's been moving players left and right trying to fix the STs so look for him to start making moves on the offense, where the only sensibly option is him. For the last two weeks, he's played to his opponents strengths, and has made conservative, Cowher-esque playcalls in overtime. Not often do you win 3 coin tosses in OT and lose 2 games, especially when your spotted at the midfield with a first down, as we were the past two weeks.
-Our special teams is bad. We fix our kick return coverage (today at least), but forget how to cover punts. Stefan Logan isn't returning much better than Gary Russell did last season. He runs east to west more often than not and usually doesn't get much farther than the 30.
-Gay will be yanked from the starting job, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's for next week's game. That had to be the most horrid game by a corner we've had since Ike Taylor's benching against Jacksonville. He's been trash in almost every single game this season. Really what we need is a first round corner in the 2010 draft, but that officially means Lewis and Burnett were wasted picks.
-2009's draft class was a complete failure, outside 3rd rounder Mike Wallace. Ziggy Hood is not the answer to a huge runstuffing DE like Smith. Nice to have, yes, but backs are just eating up our line on a much more frequent basis.
-The Steelers have been the same team for about 5 years now, and it's showing. This game was really over when Dick LeBeau was outschemed by Cam Cameron on that 4th and 5 where old man Farrior was covering Ray Rice. What a matchup for the Ravens.

--- Added 11/30/2009 at 12:46 AM ---

But there's no controversy about Mike Tomlin. The guy continues to amaze week after week with his utter stupidity. It's hard to believe a team he coached won a Super Bowl.

Cases in point tonight:

(1) How can you possibly give the ball back to the Ravens in regulation with that much time still on the clock? More so, how can you give it back to them at all? Not a problem for Mike. He's an artist at that kind of stuff.

(2) How can you allow Dixon to throw over the middle into the teeth of the Ravens defense in OT? Not a problem for Mike. He's also an artist at that kind of stuff.

This just in - Mike Tomlin is a fraud. Maybe when he's done with his coaching caper, he can get job pretending to be an NFL ref. There's a real market for that kind of gig these days.

scott0326
11-30-2009, 02:49 AM
The season is officially over with in this loss. Technically, you could say it was over with when we played the Bengals and lost for second time. Yeah we may or may not make the playoffs, but we're not winning more than a game, with or without Troy. With that, here is my two cents on where the Steelers are.
I agree... We lose to Chiefs and expect to beat Colts or Pats? No way in hell we win it all this year, doesn't matter if Troy and Ben are healthy...

Arians is officially on Tomlin's hotseat. He's been moving players left and right trying to fix the STs so look for him to start making moves on the offense, where the only sensibly option is him. For the last two weeks, he's played to his opponents strengths, and has made conservative, Cowher-esque playcalls in overtime. Not often do you win 3 coin tosses in OT and lose 2 games, especially when your spotted at the midfield with a first down, as we were the past two weeks.
Arians has to go, his play calling is mind puzzling and just plain idiotic sometimes, its unbelievable, he has to go...

Our special teams is bad. We fix our kick return coverage (today at least), but forget how to cover punts. Stefan Logan isn't returning much better than Gary Russell did last season. He runs east to west more often than not and usually doesn't get much farther than the 30.
Kick off coverage probably got lucky, punt coverage sucked and Logan doesn't do much if anything on kickoff returns, just terrible. I can easily say: Steelers have worst special teams in NFL.

-Gay will be yanked from the starting job, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's for next week's game. That had to be the most horrid game by a corner we've had since Ike Taylor's benching against Jacksonville. He's been trash in almost every single game this season. Really what we need is a first round corner in the 2010 draft, but that officially means Lewis and Burnett were wasted picks.
Agreed, Gay is terrible, he gives the receivers like 10 yards and still gets beat, he's terrible. I hope he is benched this week.

The Steelers have been the same team for about 5 years now, and it's showing. This game was really over when Dick LeBeau was outschemed by Cam Cameron on that 4th and 5 where old man Farrior was covering Ray Rice. What a matchup for the Ravens.
How do you not call a timeout there if your the Steelers or have someone covering Rice. Seriously? James Farrior covering Ray Rice? Horrible matchup that Ravens will take advantage of EVERY time.

Overall, this season isn't going to end well, regardless of if we make playoffs or not.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Not sure if I agree with this. Doubt your season is over. You just barely lost to the Ravens with a 3rd string QB. Denver is in free fall mode so they're done IMO. The Steelers still have another game against the Ravens. The way I see it, if the Steelers win one of the two games against the Colts and Pats, they're right in it.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Is the season over, technically no; we are in a massive scramble for that last wildcard spot right now and anything can happen. The AFC is a trainwreck of 6 win teams right now all trying to get in so who knows.

Having said that, realistically there's no way this team is a playoff team right now and here's why (touching somewhat on the previous posts of course)

-Special Teams - the return game is average at best so you can bet the Steelers need to be looking elsewhere for a return man next year. The coverage units, well atleast we didn't let one get returned on us this past week...that's all I can say really. I think I saw a blurb on NBC last night that we are either tied or set a new record (can't remember) for allowing the most KO's to be returned for TD's in a single season..and we aren't even done yet.

- Secondary - Gay is just terrible, I've defended him all year because he's a young player who's still learning but comon, the Ravens don't have great WR's and that was the worst display of attempted coverage I've ever seen. He's been digressing since early in the year and showing no signs of a recovery. Townsend needs to be put in, starting this week. Polamalu makes everyone in the secondary better and when he's not in our weakness clearly shows. I saw atleast 3 potential INT's go right through our hands last night; missed opportunities again. Ike needs to stop dancing around everytime he makes a tackle because he got beat pretty good last night on several occasions.

(i'll add more later since I'm at work right now)

Prosdo
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I have to agree with you Top Gun. Those two are my major concerns. Flacco just kept targeting William Gay that night. He is definitely a huge point of weakness on the secondary. Then you have ST. They are horrible. The lack of sure tackling is pathetic.

jpele
11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
I can't remember the year but the Steelers were underachieving . Chuck Noll was blindly loyal to his coaching staff and kept saying he would correct the problems the team was having.

It finally came to the breaking point and Dan Rooney stepped in and told Noll " either fire your coordinator or I fire you.

The reason i bring this up is, the Steelers have so much talent it's scary,yet they struggle with bottom dwellers like the Browns,Detroit and lose to K.C.

If all the fans can see it the media sees it maybe just maybe Art will take a page from his fathers book ans speak with Tomlin.

Steelers_All_Day_43
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I really dont believe its Tomlin's fault. Every loss seems to come back to BA. He should be fired.

Miller83
12-03-2009, 05:41 PM
The problem is playcalling on offense, getting rid of star special teamers (recently re-signed) in the offseason, and an aging middle linebacker who cant pass cover, along with a horrible corner in Gay. If they had won the close games, they would be sitting pretty right now. They make the playoffs and win 1 game, maybe get to the AFC Title game.

Troyisabeast_43
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
If Bryant McFadden was still on the Steelers starting instead of William Gay regardless of what kind of season he is having in Arizona this year the Steelers are a much better team in the secondary. People can say letting McFadden go was the right move all they want but in the end letting McFadden go and intrusting Gay with the starting cornerback job is proving to be a terrible move by the Steelers brain trust...

--- Added 12/3/2009 at 04:23 PM ---

-Arians is officially on Tomlin's hotseat. He's been moving players left and right trying to fix the STs so look for him to start making moves on the offense, where the only sensibly option is him. For the last two weeks, he's played to his opponents strengths, and has made conservative, Cowher-esque playcalls in overtime. Not often do you win 3 coin tosses in OT and lose 2 games, especially when your spotted at the midfield with a first down, as we were the past two weeks.
-Our special teams is bad. We fix our kick return coverage (today at least), but forget how to cover punts. Stefan Logan isn't returning much better than Gary Russell did last season. He runs east to west more often than not and usually doesn't get much farther than the 30.
-2009's draft class was a complete failure, outside 3rd rounder Mike Wallace. Ziggy Hood is not the answer to a huge runstuffing DE like Smith. Nice to have, yes, but backs are just eating up our line on a much more frequent basis.
-The Steelers have been the same team for about 5 years now, and it's showing. This game was really over when Dick LeBeau was outschemed by Cam Cameron on that 4th and 5 where old man Farrior was covering Ray Rice. What a matchup for the Ravens.

--- Added 11/30/2009 at 12:46 AM ---

But there's no controversy about Mike Tomlin. The guy continues to amaze week after week with his utter stupidity. It's hard to believe a team he coached won a Super Bowl.

Cases in point tonight:

(1) How can you possibly give the ball back to the Ravens in regulation with that much time still on the clock? More so, how can you give it back to them at all? Not a problem for Mike. He's an artist at that kind of stuff.

(2) How can you allow Dixon to throw over the middle into the teeth of the Ravens defense in OT? Not a problem for Mike. He's also an artist at that kind of stuff.

This just in - Mike Tomlin is a fraud. Maybe when he's done with his coaching caper, he can get job pretending to be an NFL ref. There's a real market for that kind of gig these days.

While I do have a hard time arguing with anything you say here let's see how the last 5 games play out and if this team can get hot and find it's groove much like they did in 2005. As for Tomlin, I am not happy with a lot of the things he has done this year so far either but I wouldnt call him a fraud or anything along those lines just yet. The guy has won 2 division titles in his first 2 years as Steelers head coach, and has also won a Super Bowl as well. And he still has a better then 50/50 chance of getting this team to the playoffs for the 3rd straight season since he has been the head coach. If Tomlin ends up winning these last 5 games of the regular season and the Steelers go into the playoffs and make some noise people on this board are going to be on his nuts calling him a genius and praising him.

francosarmy32
12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Ratbird fan...we don't play colts or pats but we do play you...cant wait to win our 4th game in a row and in the process knock you out of playoff hunt for the second year in a row...and please tell your loudmouth thug #52 to just shut up!!!!!

Goodfrom55
12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Looking at the original post, I would think the Steelers were 0-11. Yes, Steelers lost to KC, but also kicked the sh*t out of the Vikings and Broncos. I honestly believe that Baltimore will get beat by GB on Monday, and Cincy will lose to Vikings, Chargers AND in a major choke job, the Jets in week 17.

Down the stretch, Steelers must have a better 5 game record than the Ravens and must beat them in a couple weeks to clinch a WC. I don't care about the division; I just care about getting to the playoffs. The other teams in WC contention have a reougher road with games vs New England, Indy, Chargers.

If the Steelers lose on Sunday, they would still have a shot if Baltimore loses on Monday and the Steelers beat them head to head, but who wants to go there? You never want to have your destiny in someone else's hands. Bottom line, If the Steelers take care of the teams on their schedule, they're in.