PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the secondary to me?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2009, 12:19 AM
I mean for love of God where are these guys coming from? Ike blows coverage several times tonight, Carter missed 2 opportunities for late game INT's, Townsend blew coverage on their last drive, and my God we won't even talk about Gay?! Wonder of all wonders Ty Carter had the best day because he didn't make any major screw ups that I saw.

What really drove me nuts was seeing Ike do some stupid dance after making a tackle when the play before he got burnt for 20 some yards!!!

PsychoWard
11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
that touchdown that mason had should have been a pic!!! all ike had to do is turn the **** around!!!!!

Zachintosh66
11-30-2009, 12:31 AM
i got this... :lol:

Taylor does his best impression of a shut down corner... and then misses a sure fire INT.

Gay lines up 12 yards off the WR every play (even if its 3 n 2) and gives up at least half dozen catches a game and cant open field tackle anyone. Might make one decent play all game in which most of this board will dwell on by defending how terrible this guy really is.

Carter would rather hit someone and talk about it then knock a ball away.

Clark is a step slow and usually misses a poorly underthrown INT. Although he will get at least 2-3 "good sticks" in a game. Spends most of his time trying to cover for Carters "short comings".

Townsend has the heart and the head still, just not the tools anymore. Wishes he could punk Gay back to the bench.

Mundy is one of those "has potential" kids who hasn't showed much including on special teams.

Burrnett... see above remark.

I forgot Troy... He is in the Training Room... grade incomplete.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-30-2009, 01:03 AM
When Troy is out we sure do look pitiful:yesnod: i say scrap the rest of the season an play for an high draft pick, i would like to see Dennis the rest of the way anyways.....imo

J.OTSTOTT
11-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I mean for love of God where are these guys coming from? Ike blows coverage several times tonight, Carter missed 2 opportunities for late game INT's, Townsend blew coverage on their last drive, and my God we won't even talk about Gay?! Wonder of all wonders Ty Carter had the best day because he didn't make any major screw ups that I saw.

What really drove me nuts was seeing Ike do some stupid dance after making a tackle when the play before he got burnt for 20 some yards!!!

ME TOO, the guy looked like a retard after that. I was thinking to myself what a ***!

LatrobePA
11-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I can sum it up in one word: SUCKS!

Miller83
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
William Gay couldn't cover anyone with a brown bag, and can't tackle worth a ****; Ryan Clark can't catch and is too many times looking for a knock-out hit when he could be intercepting the ball; and Ike Taylor is still showing his inconsistency from year-to-year; Deashea should move to safety for Polamalu and Carter should be the Middle Linebacker on third and longs because he can cover, James Farrior can't!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
11-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't care what you say...on their worst day, any Steeler DB is better than Frank Walker or Dominque Foxworth.

darnik44
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
i got this... :lol:

Taylor does his best impression of a shut down corner... and then misses a sure fire INT.

Gay lines up 12 yards off the WR every play (even if its 3 n 2) and gives up at least half dozen catches a game and cant open field tackle anyone. Might make one decent play all game in which most of this board will dwell on by defending how terrible this guy really is.

Carter would rather hit someone and talk about it then knock a ball away.

Clark is a step slow and usually misses a poorly underthrown INT. Although he will get at least 2-3 "good sticks" in a game. Spends most of his time trying to cover for Carters "short comings".

Townsend has the heart and the head still, just not the tools anymore. Wishes he could punk Gay back to the bench.

Mundy is one of those "has potential" kids who hasn't showed much including on special teams.

Burrnett... see above remark.

I forgot Troy... He is in the Training Room... grade incomplete.

This is pretty spot on.

weidnerr
11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
The rookie D Lineman for the Ravens catches better than everyone but Troy on our secondary!!! Gay should have gotten benched last night. How can anyone play secondary and not want to intercept a pass? Turn your head around. Clark should have easily picked off the bomb. Troy would have made that look so easy. Carter wants the big hit and usually isn't looking for the ball. Townsend had his hands on one int. and dropped it. Ike gets outjumped by the shortest guy on the field in the endzone.
If we catch the ball in the secondary we win all of the last three games.
Post graded them a D- for last nights game.

:rant2:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
The rookie D Lineman for the Ravens catches better than everyone but Troy on our secondary!!! Gay should have gotten benched last night. How can anyone play secondary and not want to intercept a pass? Turn your head around. Clark should have easily picked off the bomb. Troy would have made that look so easy. Carter wants the big hit and usually isn't looking for the ball. Townsend had his hands on one int. and dropped it. Ike gets outjumped by the shortest guy on the field in the endzone.
If we catch the ball in the secondary we win all of the last three games.
Post graded them a D- for last nights game.

It wasn't pretty, but they were facing an opponent who picked their personnel and scheme for the specific purposes of exploiting the Steelers defensive weaknesses. I'm not just talking about for this particular week, I'm saying the Ravens whole team concept revolves around how to beat the Steelers.

TampaSteelGirl
11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Gay was just straight up horrible!!!!!! Ike.....frustrates the crap out of me!! It's a shame that this D can't play without Troy, unbelieveable and can you image the amount of stress this puts on Troy...just not right! :evilshake:

Makes me mad that we have decent offense this game even with a first time starter QB and the D can't show up!:banging:

weidnerr
11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Coming into this game Flacco was struggling big time. What does our secondary do? Lets him complete 100% of his passes on their opening drive. Two TD's in the 1st half alone! Our secondary makes the weakest QB's in the league look good. Ike and Gay continue to give up at least 5 yards on playing off 10-15 yards. Why blitz when we give that free dump off? I don't see any other teams giving up first downs like that? Gay usually misses the tackle then also!!!

JensK
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
It wasn't pretty, but they were facing an opponent who picked their personnel and scheme for the specific purposes of exploiting the Steelers defensive weaknesses. I'm not just talking about for this particular week, I'm saying the Ravens whole team concept revolves around how to beat the Steelers.

That is just bull. Its not like the defense did not call the right numbers at all, we just lack quality personal in the secondary. We had SO many chances to intercept it, make big plays and i don't know what, but we just kept screwing up. Ravens, imo, had Ray Rice and Mason, which we had a hard time with (Mason because Ike Taylor sucked *** yesterday)

Big T
11-30-2009, 01:02 PM
I know, it's frustrating. It's pretty pathetic that the absence of one player (though arguably the best in the NFL) can make such a difference.

playboy pryor
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
what is going on with keenan lewis and burrnett? does the coaching staff want to give these guys some pt?

JensK
11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Lewis is injured, and they just don't feel like Burnett is ready to step up yet. Neither would be an upgrade over Gay at this point.

jpele
11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
what is going on with keenan lewis and burrnett? does the coaching staff want to give these guys some pt?

They must be pretty bad if they can't beat Gay for the starting job. Or maybe Tomlin doesn't see a problem.

jpele
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
It seems to me Clark is a good compliment to Troy,but when Troy is out Clark is lost can't explain why. He comes with the big hit but can't tackle.

Gay what the hell happened, go back to last year and watch he played very good which meant he would only get better. This year I don't think he could cover a top high school receiver.

Ike is a top CB with hands of stone the thing is when he screws up it's glaring.

steelersbabex25
11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I think with this game we completely see the effects of Troy not being able to play..maybe our secondary is really only one man. From watching this game, it seems like Troy just picks up everyone elses slack when he's there. There aren't many long passes because he covers them well. There aren't many times when the quarterback has a long time in the pocket because he realizes it and takes advantage. We need him back in the secondary..or we won't finish better than .500.

Goodfrom55
11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
My kingdom for press coverage and a secondary that can catch. . .and tackle. Of course, if they could catch, they would be receivers. . .seriously, except for Troy, their hands stink!

Troyisabeast_43
11-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Lewis is injured, and they just don't feel like Burnett is ready to step up yet. Neither would be an upgrade over Gay at this point.

At this point you gotta make a move and start Deshea Townsend for Gay. If the Steelers continue to leave William Gay in there for the rest of the season the same exact things are going to continue to keep taking place. The Steelers problems in the secondary when Troy is out are glaring and stick out worse then a huge zit on a 13 year old boys face. Tomlin needs to make some changes and make them now before it's too late. Whether that means starting Deshea in place of Gay or giving Burnett and Lewis more playing time then so be it DO IT AND DO IT NOW!!!

SteelerRush
11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
William Gay needs to be replaced by Townsend and let Gay come off the bench against the other teams third receiver he has been way overexposed and can't find his way out of a paper bag right now. He gives up the short passes because he plays ten yards off the receiver and then doesn't even react quick enough to tackle the guy. Ike needs to get back to basics and cover tighter were he can at least knock down passes, we all know he can't catch. Carter I think has played pretty good. No one can replace what Troy brings to games but at least he is always around the ball carrier be it receiver or running back. Clark is always looking to lay the lumber if he would look for the ball he might actually help this team with INT's. He is not making the plays that he usually makes when Troy is in the game.:helmet::banging: