PDA

View Full Version : Hampton second-guessing

jpele
11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Hampton, in the last season of his contract, also said he does not want the Steelers to put the franchise tag on him, even if the price would be $12 million for the 2010 season.

"I don't want that. I don't want that," said Hampton, who said he would not mind playing for Bill Cowher for Hampton's hometown Houston Texans next season -- a reference to speculation about the former Steelers coach's plans.

Nevertheless Hampton said he wants to return to play for the Steelers, and he said they've told him they want him back.

"Ain't no question I want to be here. It's all I know, but, at the same time just as it is a business for them, it's a business for me ...You never know what they're thinking. They tell me they want me here, I believe they want me here, and I want to be here. Hopefully I'll be here next year."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09331/1016642-66.stm#ixzz0YAbykiQ2

I'd like to see Hampton return, but at what cost ? We need him but can't break the bank he's getting up in age.

DanRooney
11-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Well it looks like there is no salary cap next season so we may be able to afford him.

jpele
11-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Well it looks like there is no salary cap next season so we may be able to afford him.

True, but I'm living in a dream world were the labor issues are settled before the NFL turns into MLB.

BTW,I like your sig.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Until we have a capable 34 NT, that can play to the level Casey does week in and week out, then I highly suggest the Steelers keep him. Hoke is a solid backup and always performs well, but losing Hampton without having somebody else besides Hoke in the wings is not a good idea. Another sign, IMO, that come draft day if they can't get him signed we'll be looking a big time NT with our first round pick.

JensK
11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
The question is not if the Steelers want him, the question is if they can afford him. He knows what he is worth, and he is probably going to demand it.

Zachintosh66
11-28-2009, 04:21 PM
no cap or not... steelers still wont break the bank on anyone...

Biggest Fan
11-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I'd bet without the cap the stillers would make him a pretty good offer.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Until we have a capable 34 NT, that can play to the level Casey does week in and week out, then I highly suggest the Steelers keep him. Hoke is a solid backup and always performs well, but losing Hampton without having somebody else besides Hoke in the wings is not a good idea. Another sign, IMO, that come draft day if they can't get him signed we'll be looking a big time NT with our first round pick.

Agree 1000%:yellowthumb: i hope also we can keep him........You can say what u want about his weight but he has held his own since being here imo.

playboy pryor
12-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Casey Hampton will be a free agent after this year. Do we put the franchise tag on him or let him walk? If we don't resign him, we need to get a Nose Tackle threw free agency. We can't assume a rookie DT can come in right away and play, can we? Does any one knows how long we have Hoke for? He's been pretty good for us for a couple of years!!!

Goodfrom55
12-01-2009, 07:45 PM

if the price isn't right, let him walk, draft a NT, and sign Shawn Rogers for a year or 2 until the draftee is ready to contribute.

Stlrs4Life
12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
See ya later Casey. I'll miss ya, but not worth breaking the bank over,. regardless if there is a cap or not.

Goodfrom55
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
No cap does not equate to a spending spree - at least not with the Steelers.

SteelerRush
12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Pittsburgh won't break the bank on Hampton that's just the way they roll. They'll let Hoke have his time as a starter he deserves it. Hamp is getting up in age and he will demand way too much money for us to resign him. We trade up and get the best nose tackle available in the draft or sign a free agent to back up Hoke.:popcorn:

LatrobePA
12-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I could see him in AZ next year!

SteelerRush
12-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I could see him in AZ next year!
anywhere in the NFC would be ok with me

Phenomenal TJ
12-03-2009, 02:39 AM
Gotta agree with TG on this one. If we don't have a quality nose tackle, then we don't have a 3-4 defense.

Goodfrom55
12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Hamp is good at occupying blockers, but he doesn't always get up the field on a pass rush, which allows the QB's to avoid Woody and Harrison by stepping up in the pocket and hitting a safety valve. If the QB can't step up to escape the rush, he has nowhere to go but down. Hoke is nowhere near as big as Hamp, but he has a heck of a motor; he never stops.

UKSTEELER
12-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Big Snack has played quite well this season, more due to the fact that he knows potential suitors want to see if he's worth their money.

If he did stop with us, which he won't, he'd just go back to his 2008 fat comfortable can't be arsed self.

Get rid. Hoke can pick up the slack until we find a newer, younger, fitter Casey.

Go Steelers:cope:

cmerrifield
12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Hoke is older than Hampton and is not a 3 down guy, he is too small. In fact, last year teams would go into passing situations like 3 and 5 and run the ball up the middle because Hampton was out, thats why he still is in their on some 3 downs. The NT has to suck up two blockers to have a successful 3-4 and Hoke doesnt. We either NEED Hampton or another TRUE NT, or the 3-4 is gone.

UKSTEELER
12-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Hoke is older than Hampton and is not a 3 down guy, he is too small. In fact, last year teams would go into passing situations like 3 and 5 and run the ball up the middle because Hampton was out, thats why he still is in their on some 3 downs. The NT has to suck up two blockers to have a successful 3-4 and Hoke doesnt. We either NEED Hampton or another TRUE NT, or the 3-4 is gone.

Noted.

Who are the likely candidates come April?

Phenomenal TJ
12-06-2009, 12:35 AM
If we switch to a 4-3, we're gonna be bad for a minute.