PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger may sit out Sunday...**11/28 Update**Dixon to start vs Ravens

Big T
11-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Roethlisberger may sit out Sunday
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 27, 2009 6:19 PM ET

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger might not play on Sunday after all.

Although Roethlisberger practiced Friday and reportedly passed all the necessary medical tests, he is now reportedly considering taking a week off because of concerns related to the concussion he suffered last week in Kansas City.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network cites an unnamed league source as saying that Roethlisberger told Steelers coach Mike Tomlin today that he might sit out Sunday's game against the Ravens as a precaution.

According to La Canfora, Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears getting hit in the head again just a week after suffering a concussion. Roethlisberger plans to tell the team on Saturday morning whether he thinks he's ready to go.

If Roethlisberger sits out, the Steelers will have a major question mark at quarterback. With backup Charlie Batch out with a wrist injury, Dennis Dixon would start in place of Roethlisberger. Dixon has played in only one NFL game and thrown just one pass.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/27/roethlisberger-may-sit-out-sunday/

This is not good....

Check out the comment by "CharmCityRavens" (the 8th comment)....This dude is a tool. Syringeburg? wow....that may be the worst one I've heard.

spyboots
11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
This is the same guy who reported Casey Hampton was going to be cut. NFL Network should've kept Shefter instead, who knows his stuff. This new guy LaCanfora doesn't know crap. Ben's been working with the first team in practice and said he's ready to go. I think this new guy doesn't like the Steelers, trying to stir stuff up all the time.

Phenomenal TJ
11-27-2009, 11:45 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that he will play.

For starters, how often has Ben Roethlisberger said that he wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't play?

jpele
11-28-2009, 12:27 PM
La Canfora and his unnamed sources, my money says Ben plays.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Ben isn't playing people....Just saw it on ESPN News.....I'm sure there will be link soon on ESPN.......

steelerfan11
11-28-2009, 12:46 PM
WTF this is getting crazy...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10442146/Roethlisberger-won

fox sports are reporting that Ben isn't going to play now...just have to wait and see I guess.

DanRooney
11-28-2009, 12:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/28/glazer-roethlisberger-out-with-concussion/

Glazer: Roethlisberger out with concussion
Posted by Mike Florio on November 28, 2009 10:49 AM ET

Despite several days of optimism regarding the availability of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for Sunday night's game against the Ravens, Roethlisberger will not play, according to Jay Glazer of FOX, via Twitter.

Glazer reports that Roethlisberger has been suffering from exercise-induced headaches. Thus, the team has decided to shut him down.

Starting for the Steelers will be Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round pick in 2008 who slid down the draft board after suffering a torn ACL during the 2007 college football season. (He actually played with the injury for one game before getting surgery to repair it.)

Dixon steps in because veteran Charlie Batch suffered a wrist injury during the handful of snaps he took in overtime on Sunday against the Chiefs, after Roethlisberger took a knee to the head.

Doubts regarding Roethlisberger's availability for Sunday first emerged on Friday, when Jason La Canfora of NFLN reported that Roethlisberger might miss the game.
Permalink 0 Comments RSS feed for comments Latest stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Injuries, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Injuries, Pittsburgh Steelers,

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2009, 12:53 PM
So the media reports that the Steelers are sitting Ben, but the initial report was that Ben was going to take himself out. Either way we are in a heap of serious trouble this week, I don't care how much potential Dixon has, if anybody here thinks he's got a prayer against an aggressive defense then please pass me the good stuff you're smokin'!

The ratbirds may not be the same defense they were in the past, between getting older and losing players they are clearly not as good however they are still one of the better ones in the league at any given moment. Our only hope is that since they don't any film on Dixon other than preseason and college, that might work to our advantage alittle.

Big T
11-28-2009, 01:02 PM
This is not good but maybe this one game is what we need for Bruce Arians to realize that Mendenhall needs to be the center of the offense. He won't come out and make Dennis throw the ball 40 times and Mendenhall should have a huge increase in his workload Sunday night.

I know tomlin said they would game plan differently with Dennis but if Bruce does what he does best, we are completely ****ed.

Sir Blitzelot
11-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Our season is officially over now. :evilshake:

Moondog
Ladies and gents, I think we're in trouble. I'll be rooting like crazy as always but my expectations for this game just took a massive hit.

K Train
dixon will have a soldi day and show that you dont have to be a 38 year old washed up old **** to be a backup QB....we will win, not because of dixon but because mendenhall will actually get enough touches

OC Steel Curtain
11-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Throwin Dixon to the Wolves.. Worst Team to Step in Against.. Ask Mendenhall..

BlackGold4vr
11-28-2009, 01:40 PM
We are already on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs go. As of now we are seated 7th and a loss this week to the Ravens would put us back even further. That would put our conference record at 4-4 which is not good as that is the second tie breaker after head-to-head. I think that missing the playoffs is becoming a real distinct possibility. If that happens I believe there would be a shake-up in coaches and players following the seasons end. Definitely a change in special teams coaching is in order as well as a hard look at many of the back-ups who populate our special teams and have never been candidates to replace starters except in emergencies. The positive is that we would move way up the draft board and that benefits you in each round, not just the first.

- Hampton needs to be resigned to at least a 1 year deal even if they make his replacement their top priority. We still have the leagues top ranked run defense and he is largely responsible for that.

- O-line, O-line, O-line. Not happy with the patchwork back-ups that now make up our offensive line. Their play is inconsistent and I'm not sure that they will ever become a top level unit no matter how long they play together. You don't need to put together a line consisting of all first rounders but at least a couple 1st round studs in their could help immensely!

Terrence Cody (ALA) would be my first choice in this draft and if he is already gone you have to go OT. Charles Brown (USC), Selvish Capers (WVU), and Ciron Black (LSU) are all possibilities.

:2cents:

K Train
11-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Throwin Dixon to the Wolves.. Worst Team to Step in Against.. Ask Mendenhall..

worst team to step in against 5 years ago, now....they really arent to scary

whos the #2 QB?

TEEMONT
11-28-2009, 02:13 PM
We are already on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs go. As of now we are seated 7th and a loss this week to the Ravens would put us back even further. That would put our conference record at 4-4 which is not good as that is the second tie breaker after head-to-head. I think that missing the playoffs is becoming a real distinct possibility. If that happens I believe there would be a shake-up in coaches and players following the seasons end. Definitely a change in special teams coaching is in order as well as a hard look at many of the back-ups who populate our special teams and have never been candidates to replace starters except in emergencies. The positive is that we would move way up the draft board and that benefits you in each round, not just the first.

- Hampton needs to be resigned to at least a 1 year deal even if they make his replacement their top priority. We still have the leagues top ranked run defense and he is largely responsible for that.

- O-line, O-line, O-line. Not happy with the patchwork back-ups that now make up our offensive line. Their play is inconsistent and I'm not sure that they will ever become a top level unit no matter how long they play together. You don't need to put together a line consisting of all first rounders but at least a couple 1st round studs in their could help immensely!

Terrence Cody (ALA) would be my first choice in this draft and if he is already gone you have to go OT. Charles Brown (USC), Selvish Capers (WVU), and Ciron Black (LSU) are all possibilities.

:2cents:

we are the 5 seed right now

JensK
11-28-2009, 02:17 PM

whos the #2 QB?

Tyler Palko

TEEMONT
11-28-2009, 02:26 PM

whos the #2 QB?

i heard Tyler Palko....at least they signed him to the PS

BlackGold4vr
11-28-2009, 02:28 PM
we are the 5 seed right now

Please explain to me how 6-4 is a better record than 7-4. Denver is the 5 seed right now as they have won their 7th game and we have not. The 6th seed is Jacksonville who share the same record as us but have the better conference record which is the second tie break after head-to-head. We haven't played each other so the nod goes to Jacksonville for the better conference record. If we lose to the Ravens we would drop even further back and Baltimore would also leap frog ahead of us in the tie breakers. If you see things differently please explain.

We are the 7th seed. Don't take my word for it, visit NFL.com and click on the conference standings.

Tie breaks for wildcard
Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.

GoBenGo
11-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger Ruled Out For Sunday
FoxSports.com's NFL Insider Jay Glazer reports via his Twitter account that Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger will be ruled out by the team for this week's key matchup against the Ravens. Second year quarterback Dennis Dixon will get the start in Roethlisberger's place. Reportedly Roethlisberger was was suffering from exercise induced headaches, so the team decided it would be best to shut him down.

Well, cmon DD , let's see that ability and skill that got you drafted so well . A whe different gear:cope:

K Train
11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
we were the 5th seed before denver won this week...chill out

BlackGold4vr
11-28-2009, 02:47 PM
we were the 5th seed before denver won this week...chill out

And we were the #1 seed before the season began. We are talking about standings as of right now. And before Denver won we were the 6th seed. Jacksonville was still ahead of us with the better conference record. When Denver won they leap frogged over both teams and moved everyone down a spot below them. So once again we were NOT the 5 seed even before Denver won. :thinking:

jpele
11-28-2009, 02:47 PM
dixon will have a soldi day and show that you dont have to be a 38 year old washed up old **** to be a backup QB....we will win, not because of dixon but because mendenhall will actually get enough touches

Dixon will need a good game for the steelers to have any chance of winning, the entire raven defense will be playing the run.

Terrence Cody (ALA) would be my first choice in this draft

Cody would be a great NT in my opinion.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Yeah because the Ravens will have no idea that we're going to try and feed Mendenhall the ball to take the pressure off Dixon, right? They will stack the line, shut down the run, and dare us to beat them with the pass, that's what any team would do in this situation, including us.

The only, and I mean the only chance we have, is if the OL plays absolutely out of their minds and opens up holes all day against a good front 7 of the Ratbirds. If they do that, then Dixon can run around and avoid pressure enough to make some plays; along with Mendenhall making just enough of an impact with the run to keep them honest. If they have even an average day or worse, a bad day, you can kiss this one goodbye before the gun sounds.

K Train
11-28-2009, 03:04 PM
And we were the #1 seed before the season began. We are talking about standings as of right now. And before Denver won we were the 6th seed. Jacksonville was still ahead of us with the better conference record. When Denver won they leap frogged over both teams and moved everyone down a spot below them. So once again we were NOT the 5 seed even before Denver won. :thinking:

seriously chill the **** out, it doesnt matter what seed we were wed or what seed we are monday. denver ****ing sucks, if we tie them we win head to head....im sure they will drop a few more.

the fact that this team still has a chance of the playoffs astonishes me, this is not a playoff team right now.

K Train
11-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Dixon will need a good game for the steelers to have any chance of winning, the entire raven defense will be playing the run.

Cody would be a great NT in my opinion.

cody was one of my favorite guys pre season, but i do think there are a handful of better NTs available

jpele
11-28-2009, 03:08 PM
if the OL plays absolutely out of their minds and opens up holes all day against a good front 7 of the Ratbirds. .

One thing really sticks out here : Ramon Foster can he man up to the challenge ?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2009, 03:09 PM
seriously chill the **** out, it doesnt matter what seed we were wed or what seed we are monday. denver ****ing sucks, if we tie them we win head to head....im sure they will drop a few more.

the fact that this team still has a chance of the playoffs astonishes me, this is not a playoff team right now.

You got that right, this team is barely a preseason team right now. We can thank our lucky stars we're won those 5 games in a row to get back in the race; only to see it slowly slipping away again unless we get things fixed, now.

K Train
11-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah because the Ravens will have no idea that we're going to try and feed Mendenhall the ball to take the pressure off Dixon, right? They will stack the line, shut down the run, and dare us to beat them with the pass, that's what any team would do in this situation, including us.

The only, and I mean the only chance we have, is if the OL plays absolutely out of their minds and opens up holes all day against a good front 7 of the Ratbirds. If they do that, then Dixon can run around and avoid pressure enough to make some plays; along with Mendenhall making just enough of an impact with the run to keep them honest. If they have even an average day or worse, a bad day, you can kiss this one goodbye before the gun sounds.
ok, thats fine....but mendenhall has been playing out of his mind and hasnt gotten the 30 carries a game i think he needs. they can stack the box all they want, dixon has serious wheels on him to get around the edge and we have vet WRs who none of the baltimore corners can hang with. dixon isnt a pure run guy, he wil make some plays through the air....i hope his first play is a playaction pass, and they come out firing to get him some confidence.

ben being out for a game isnt all doom and gloom, they have won without him before and the ravens arent that good. i dont even want him to play, remember his concussion sandwich against the falcons a few years ago that he followed up with a sweet 4 pick game and a loss against the 2 win raiders?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2009, 03:14 PM
If there is a somewhat silver lining it's that the Ratbirds are banged up on defense, however most of their guys that were limited this week will play with the exception of Suggs who will be a gametime decision.

This is a game where records go out the window, it's all we hate you and you hate us so lets see who's left standing. How many times have the previous games come down to the last minute, or generally been close atleast going into the 4th quarter; more often than not. We've seen Ben have to make last minute heroics to win a game, or the defense step up with a big play to secure the win; our D will need to do that and then some this week. The ratbirds will be out for blood as much as we are because they are desperate too. Neither team can afford to lose this game, plain and simple.

JensK
11-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Actually, Dennis Dixon had 50TD passes and only around 20 Interceptions in his college carrier, so he knows how to throw it in the endzone.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2009, 03:20 PM
ok, thats fine....but mendenhall has been playing out of his mind and hasnt gotten the 30 carries a game i think he needs. they can stack the box all they want, dixon has serious wheels on him to get around the edge and we have vet WRs who none of the baltimore corners can hang with. dixon isnt a pure run guy, he wil make some plays through the air....i hope his first play is a playaction pass, and they come out firing to get him some confidence.

ben being out for a game isnt all doom and gloom, they have won without him before and the ravens arent that good. i dont even want him to play, remember his concussion sandwich against the falcons a few years ago that he followed up with a sweet 4 pick game and a loss against the 2 win raiders?

Dixon does have wheels, and IF he sees the field he can take advantage of an aggressive Raven defense. That's a big IF though because he is really a rookie, and the chances of him tossing picks, fumbling, and missing the mark in the passing game is really high. Mendenhall has been playing super, there is no doubt, but Im not convinced anybody can have a big day against the Ravens until they do it. Sure it happens, Benson did it but generally speaking in Steeler/Ratbird games, neither team is usually very successful on the ground. Given the fact that our ST blows *** right now, that's another concern because that's a factor that can kill us.

Troyisabeast_43
11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
This game will be close one I still believe even with Dixon playing. The Steelers will show up and not hand anything to the Ravens. If the Ravens go into this game thinking they already have it won because Dixon is starting at QB then they will be making a huge huge mistake. I hope the cocky Ratbirds are ignorant enough to do just that because it could lead to their downfall in this game...

JensK
11-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Ravens have allowed 4 or 5 100y rushers this season... I believe the game comes down to a long pass to Sweed in the 4th quarter to win it.

K Train
11-28-2009, 03:23 PM
hes not a rookie by any means, hes a young player but its not like last season was a wash for him.....last season was exactly what we had planned for him, if this was last year this game would be a big difference...hes a much better player this year

Troyisabeast_43
11-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Actually, Dennis Dixon had 50TD passes and only around 20 Interceptions in his college carrier, so he knows how to throw it in the endzone.

Dixon does know how to throw the football if he is given enough time so I do believe he can make plays. He just has to be patient and not try to run and make a broken play everytime he sees nothing there.

jpele
11-28-2009, 03:33 PM
In Kordells' first season(as starter) , he led the Steelers to an 11-5-record. Dixon is a more accurate passer. It's the NFL ,on any givin Sunday and all that, who really gave K.C. a chance last week ?

scott0326
11-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Anyone feeling confident at all heading into tomorrows game?

JensK
11-28-2009, 03:44 PM

Actually, the more im thinking about it, im not too worried with Dixon in there. It should be a fun game!

cathiesteeler
11-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Remember the days when the Steelers defense won games, well our defense will win this game
who is back up to Dixon?

scott0326
11-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Remember the days when the Steelers defense won games, well our defense will win this game
who is back up to Dixon?

Tyler Palko.

JensK
11-28-2009, 03:50 PM
......There is a small chance Roethlisberger could serve as an emergency quarterback, according to a league source, although that looks remote at this point. A final decision will come 90 minutes before kickoff, but at this point all parties involved are planning on Roethlisberger not suiting up in any capacity.

The Steelers have followed all league measures regarding clearance for concussions, and the Pro Bowler was cleared to practice all week.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/28/roet...out-vs-ravens/

--- Added 11/28/2009 at 01:50 PM ---

Tyler Palko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssQB78uzmI :D

TEEMONT
11-28-2009, 04:00 PM

at the end of last week before this week started we were the #5 seed.....denver has played one more game than us, and even though I know you are giving up on this week already, we have the tie breaker with them.

BlackGold4vr
11-28-2009, 04:11 PM

I'm not stressing at all. It is what it is and position matters a great deal because we aren't going to win out either. So all these middle of the road teams like Jacksonville, Miami, Houston, Baltimore, Denver, and the Steelers will be fighting for those last two spots. A loss this weekend could push us back as far as the 8th or 9th seed depending on what Miami does. Simply stated we are on the precipice of missing the playoffs completely. I believe that we can only afford one more loss and still make the playoffs. If that loss comes this weekend then we may need to win out the rest of the games to make it in. Our conference record would likely eliminate us if we finished 10-6 with several other teams. Just looking at things realistically. :yesnod:

--- Added 11/28/2009 at 02:11 PM ---

at the end of last week before this week started we were the #5 seed.....denver has played one more game than us, and even though I know you are giving up on this week already, we have the tie breaker with them.

We were still behind Jacksonville even before these weekend games started. I have not conceded anything. Merely trying to establish how important this weeks game is for us if we are going to make the playoffs.

Zachintosh66
11-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Did Ben practice at all this week?

Tomlin made it sound like Ben was fine ad even had people questioning if it were a concussion in the first pace. Now he's out?

2 things come to mind...
#1 I hope Dixon got enuff reps this week. I feel he's got the tools to compete, just no experience.

#2 This whole Ben playing thing sounds fishy to me... either it be a smoke screen (which they normally dont do) or what if the NFL "forced their hand" at sitting Ben b/c of all the concussion coverage.

I feel comfortable with Dixons talents... Only thing is if he isnt getting the pocket time needed to get the ball to Hines and Heath, he wont dilly dally and he will take off running and we have all seen his feet could be dangerous. I expect a heavy dose of Mendy. Please BA, keep a back in to give Dixon an extra half of a second. Dixon wont need 5 WR sets, b/c he prolly cant read that much of the field anyways.

steelers4life66
11-28-2009, 04:36 PM

I don't think anyone can say their not worried. I 4 one am sh*ting myself. Dennis is a good QB. But his first NFL start against that D. Bmore always plays us tough. I'm as optimistic as the next guy but I don't see a good at come here. God I :pray: I'm wrong. :crossfingers:

Sir Blitzelot
11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Another update fom Profootballtalk.com:

Steelers not talking about Roethlisberger

Posted by Mike Florio on November 28, 2009 2:57 PM ET

Despite multiple reports that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't play on Sunday night against the Ravens, the Steelers aren't talking about the situation, according to Mike Bires of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Bires also reports that the Steelers are expected to sign Tyler Palko from the practice squad to the active roster, with Palko serving as the backup to Dennis Dixon. Roethlisberger is expected to dress -- and to be the emergency quarterback.

And that makes no sense. If Roethlisberger can't start due to the lingering effects of a concussion, he presumably wouldn't be able to play if both Dixon and Palko are knocked out of the game.

Meanwhile, we can't help but wonder whether Roethlisberger would be playing if this had occurred a year ago. With the league's new sensitivity to concussions -- fueled by the House Judiciary Committee's decision to stick its nose into the NFL's business when it comes to brain injuries -- we get the feeling that the Steelers are taking one for the good of the game.

(Seahawks fans might argue that the Steelers already owed the league a huge favor.)

Also, it's unclear whether the Steelers' decision to "**** him down" (T-shirts will be ready in time for Christmas) comes from coach Mike Tomlin, from the team doctors, or from the independent neurologist who must clear concussed Pittsburgh players to return to action.

Regardless, Dennis Dixon will be making his debut on Sunday night, and it'll be interesting to see how Dixon fares a full two years after tearing up his knee.

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/28/steelers-not-talking-about-roethlisberger/

Danger DANJ
11-28-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm confused. Ben practiced all week and was said to be fine. Also, they never said he had a concussion, just concussion like symptoms. Now all of the sudden he had a concussion and won't play? Say what?!

scott0326
11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't think anyone can say their not worried. I 4 one am sh*ting myself. Dennis is a good QB. But his first NFL start against that D. Bmore always plays us tough. I'm as optimistic as the next guy but I don't see a good at come here. God I :pray: I'm wrong. :crossfingers:

Thats exactly how I feel... I just hope Dixon doesn't turn the ball over, if he does were screwed.

SteelCityKid5
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I read somewhere Ben doesnt want to get another concussion. I really can't blame the guy there. I'm excited to see what Dixon can do. I don't think anyone knows. How the hell did Baltimore scout this guy for this week? It's always alllways tough playing down in Baltimore. I really hope Dixon plays well, I've always like him.

Dean Denton
11-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I remember a few years ago when this rookie QB came into a game against the Ravens when Maddox went out and I thought the season was lost....Guess what? That rookie went on to win 15 games in row. I know he didn't beat the Ravens in that first game, but he looked pretty good. Dixon is a good QB, and will want to kick ***. Its not over yet fellas. Ya never know, Ben might be out of a job if Dixon can come out smokin...lol Can you say wildcat???????

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Even if Dixon throw for 400 yards and 4 TD's there is no chance he replaces Ben.....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2009, 08:16 PM
I was there at that Baltimore game when Ben made his debut after Maddox got his arm injured. Ben showed us something special in that game, of what was to come. Yeah we didn't win but atleast he made it alittle interesting that day.

Im pretty sure Dean's post is dripping with sarcasm :lol: , since we all know Dixon isn't going to replace Ben no matter how well he does, or more likely doesn't do. Either way this team's margin for error just got alittle smaller with Ben out.

I said it earlier, this team kept the whole thing under wraps this week making us all think Ben was going to be ready to go and now out of the blue with the game only 1 day away all of the sudden he's been getting worse all week? Something smells fishy here and it would seem that Tomlin and company didn't want to leak anything out to the Ratbirds until the very last minute possible to gain any possible advantage they could.

Steel Trap86
11-28-2009, 09:37 PM
The key to the Steelers winning this game is up front, if the OL can actually protect Dixon, let him get comfortable and get a good rythme going early in the game then we have a chance. Mendenhall needs to get 30-40 carries and the Ravens have let a few 100 yard rushers this season, Cedric Benson did it twice already even after Ray Lewis said no way he was going to let it happen again in the second game. The running game ultimately goes back to the OL, they need to knock some guys on there *** and up open up some holes for Mendy and it's not going to be easy with that freak Haloti Ngata comin' at them.

It is going to be an interesting game to watch and I still think this team has a chance to win. Big Ben is the ideal QB to have when playing this Ravens team, somebody who can shake off the blitz (sometimes) and make big plays in big defensive match-ups like this, but Dixon can run and pass, he just needs to get some protection and he should be fine. Just check out this vid of Dixon's 50 yard TD last pre-season, I was at this game and it was a ****in' sick one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKhixK6sefQ&feature=related

Moondog
11-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Ravens have allowed 4 or 5 100y rushers this season... I believe the game comes down to a long pass to Sweed in the 4th quarter to win it.

Maybe we are both dreaming, but for what it's worth I was thinking the same thing about Sweed earlier today.
I'm slowly getting a little more hopeful. Maybe this will snap the team out of the funk they are in by forcing everyone to get back to the fundamentals and elevate their play. They are going to have to rally around Dixon. Who knows, stranger things have happened. A couple of Ratbird turnovers here, a couple Dixon scrambles there, and we could have a ballgame. :tt02:

Blazedby92
11-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I think Dixon is going to be fine, IMHO I think we win this game, maybe Mendy can knock the chip off his shoulder with Ray Ray,lol, Lay him out Mendy

LatrobePA
11-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Note to BA, K.I.S.S

--- Added 11/28/2009 at 08:02 PM ---

I read somewhere Ben doesnt want to get another concussion. I really can't blame the guy there. I'm excited to see what Dixon can do. I don't think anyone knows. How the hell did Baltimore scout this guy for this week? It's always alllways tough playing down in Baltimore. I really hope Dixon plays well, I've always like him.

Very true, the guy can move and scramble, hell they might rather play Ben!

Mike Tomlin
11-29-2009, 12:50 AM
The key to the Steelers winning this game is up front, if the OL can actually protect Dixon, let him get comfortable and get a good rythme going early in the game then we have a chance. Mendenhall needs to get 30-40 carries and the Ravens have let a few 100 yard rushers this season, Cedric Benson did it twice already even after Ray Lewis said no way he was going to let it happen again in the second game. The running game ultimately goes back to the OL, they need to knock some guys on there *** and up open up some holes for Mendy and it's not going to be easy with that freak Haloti Ngata comin' at them.

It is going to be an interesting game to watch and I still think this team has a chance to win. Big Ben is the ideal QB to have when playing this Ravens team, somebody who can shake off the blitz (sometimes) and make big plays in big defensive match-ups like this, but Dixon can run and pass, he just needs to get some protection and he should be fine. Just check out this vid of Dixon's 50 yard TD last pre-season, I was at this game and it was a ****in' sick one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKhixK6sefQ&feature=related
Like I was saying in another post this is the type of play they should have run on 3rd and 2 last Sunday. It would have given him the option of run or pass in which I think he could have run for those 2 .

K Train
11-29-2009, 02:28 AM
i expect dixon to have a day....maybe not dominate but hes gonna be wanted to prove some people wrong

SteelerSteve
11-29-2009, 05:05 AM
Actually, Dennis Dixon had 50TD passes and only around 20 Interceptions in his college carrier, so he knows how to throw it in the endzone.Yeah, but college vs pro defense is a completely different game

--- Added 11/29/2009 at 03:05 AM ---

i expect dixon to have a day....maybe not dominate but hes gonna be wanted to prove some people wrongShit I hope your right

JensK
11-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Yeah, but college vs pro defense is a completely different game

--- Added 11/29/2009 at 03:05 AM ---

**** I hope your right

Yeah i know that, but since we havnt had a chance to see him play against a pro defense, the only thing we can measure is his college stats, which is impressive. Hell, thats what we draft guys for :P We wouldnt have drafted Ben if hes stat sucks - I know it is a little far-streched, but ive seen Dixon and i know what he is capable of, and as Train said, this is the game where he wants to prove everybody wrong. That he was worth much more than a 5th rounder. There is no doubt in my mind, that had he not torn than ACL, he would have been a top 15, probably 10 pick. But then again, to play his first pro game against Ravens, on their field, in a sunday night match-up, where the season is almost at the line (we are getting to a point where we cannot afford to loose anymore), is probably not the start he would want. But then again, this is what makes movies :P

LarryNJ
11-29-2009, 09:35 AM
this is what makes movies :P

:cope::cope:

Let's hope Jeff Reed and our kick coverage comes to play. I'm guess this game comes down to special teams.

coldrolled
11-29-2009, 10:04 AM
:cope::cope:

Let's hope Jeff Reed and our kick coverage comes to play. I'm guess this game comes down to special teams.

it will be a whole new look... the offense will look like its operating at twice the speed of ben's offense.

hopefully we have some plays for dixon to roll out... maybe gain 60 yards for the day.

some short slants and seam routes and aim for their rookie CB...

keep out of lewis's way and the blitzing LB's with some counter blitz plays.

we can win this...

well.. last week we mostly passed againt the worst run defense. i guess this week we are running more against the best run defense? since we have the rookie passer in...
its not arians fault.. mendenhall has to really play hard today.

i see a win.... a big day for dixon and mendy.

i bet ben starts.:cope:

LatrobePA
11-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Let Dixon manage the game take what the D gives him and we have a chance. Try to do too much with him and it could be a long night....