PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin provides Steelers "state of the union" address

Stlrs4Life
11-26-2009, 07:46 PM
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Coach Mike Tomlin didn’t beat around the bush. He didn’t wait for questions. Instead he got right to the point on Tuesday at his weekly press conference, giving his "state of the union" address for the Steelers.

“We’re 10 games into this thing; we’re a 6-4 football team,” said Tomlin. “Definitely not where we anticipated being or want to be, but definitely where we are. I’d probably be saying similar things if we were 8-2, but that’s just the nature of this thing. I think when you drop a couple of games like we’ve dropped a couple of games here of late, you need to assess where you are as we push forward here over these last six games.”

Where the Steelers are right now is ranked number one in the NFL in total defense and third in the AFC and sixth in the NFL in total offense. Not bad rankings at all.
But it’s other numbers that concern Tomlin. The team is ranked 25th overall in takeaway/giveaway ratio, a number he wants to see change.

“We have (created) 14 turnovers defensively in 10 games, not enough,” said Tomlin. “We’ve got 19 turnovers on offense in 10 games, too many. We’ll let that guide our approach in terms of how we prepare for this game and those that follow.

“Also, we’ve given up five touchdowns on special teams. Giving up touchdowns while your defense is on the sideline is unacceptable, not a good thing. We’ve given up four on kickoff coverage; we’ve also had a punt return taken from us and returned, Five touchdowns on special teams coupled with 25th in the league in turnover ratio will make a team that’s capable of moving the ball and stopping people 6-4. That provides great clarity for me, I think it’s going to provide great clarity for our football team as we work and prepare for this week, but also the weeks that follow.”

The first step, though, is addressing the issues that are keeping the Steelers from winning and that begins on Sunday night in Baltimore, against a Ravens team that always provides a physical battle.

“This is a competitors business and we’re competitors, but redemption Sunday is coming for us in the form of the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday Night Football,” said Tomlin. “We’re excited about that. That medicine is kind of just what the doctor ordered when you look at where we are, having the opportunity to play our rival at their place on prime time television.”

With the Steelers sitting at 6-4 and the Ravens at 5-5, the game carries big implications in the playoff hunt in the AFC North. And that is why there is no time like the present to turn things around.

“If we address our ills and really don’t blink in the face of adversity, and really let that guide our energy and decision making and continue to do the things well that we’re doing well, we should be fine and should be able to correct these issues,” said Tomlin.

http://news.steelers.com/article/114875/

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2009, 12:18 AM
“If we address our ills and really don’t blink in the face of adversity, and really let that guide our energy and decision making and continue to do the things well that we’re doing well, we should be fine and should be able to correct these issues,” said Tomlin.Easier said than done, huh Mike? It hasn't really worked out so far this year with that strategy has it :evilshake:

Phenomenal TJ
11-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Gotta agree with him about the defense creating turnovers, that number's entirely too low. A lot of that has to do with the human highlight reel being injured though. Random fact: Polamalu's created three of those turnovers while playing less than half of the defensive snaps this year.

DanRooney
11-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Gotta agree with him about the defense creating turnovers, that number's entirely too low. A lot of that has to do with the human highlight reel being injured though. Random fact: Polamalu's created three of those turnovers while playing less than half of the defensive snaps this year.

Yeah combine that with the fact that our CBs have ZERO INTs all together is pretty embarrassing.

Mike Tomlin
11-27-2009, 10:33 AM
A vet corner would make our D so much better. Ike has the physical tools but his ball skills are terrible. By him not being a natural corner little things like what arm is longest in jumpball situations , or when guarding a guy down the sideline ,or how to read a guys route when he breaks. He had to use real nfl starting time to reallly get college experience. He still plays with a 22 year old spring in his step,and soon his nfl experience will kick in. You should also notice he's right with his receiver every play, he's just needs to locate the ball better. Deshea has all the knowlede and instincts of a shutdown corner just not talent, his heart, toughness and experience keeps him on the field. Gay is going to be Asante Sameuls like when he trusts what he sees. When you play not to give up the big play.....you usually do, especially at the corner spot. When you have to think rather than react in this league you'll be a step behind 90% of the time. As far as the ten yards off the ball deal that's are scheme if we had some who knew how to use those 10 to their advantage we would have way more turnovers. Do you know what Samuels or Nnamdi would do with our pass rush and the type of safties we have.

DanRooney
11-27-2009, 11:03 AM
William Gay won't ever be close to Asante Samuels. The kid is terrible. I doubt he'll be a starter next year.

Zachintosh66
11-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree Gravity,

I was nervous when we lost McFaddy, I wanted to Draft a CB day one, but most everyone tried to assure me that we would be okay with Gay...

Week in and week out we see Gay picked on all day long. As much as I believe Ike is under-appreciated I dont think the reason Gay is targeted every week is b/c of the respect for Ike as it is for the disreguarding of Gay skills.

Now im not saying McFaddy is/was the answer. Not much of an upgrade as rarely as ive seen him play this year. But something clearly needs to be addressed at the CB spot...

For every good play Gay makes he gives up 4 bad...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2009, 02:25 PM
You guys aren't giving Gay a chance; look how bad Ike was when he first started, same with McFadden, and Townsend wasn't all that great either. Turning into a good starter at CB doesn't happen without experience. Gay will be fine, he's learning on the job and he's the obvious target to pick on since Ike is more established, as is Townsend.

Phenomenal TJ
11-27-2009, 08:04 PM
William Gay won't ever be close to Asante Samuels. The kid is terrible. I doubt he'll be a starter next year.

Why would you want one of our corners to be like Asante Samuel? The man sells out for the pick and ends up getting burned half the time. He doesn't play conservatively at all. I'd rather have a corner that'll either knock it down or give up the short ball than to sell out for the pick and end up getting beat deep.

Yeah combine that with the fact that our CBs have ZERO INTs all together is pretty embarrassing.

Pretty much.

You guys aren't giving Gay a chance; look how bad Ike was when he first started, same with McFadden, and Townsend wasn't all that great either. Turning into a good starter at CB doesn't happen without experience. Gay will be fine, he's learning on the job and he's the obvious target to pick on since Ike is more established, as is Townsend.

Gay's been thrown at less than Taylor, has given up less yards, has one more pass deflection, the average QB rating against them is about the same, both have given up a touchdown.

And he has more 'stops' than Taylor, stops being solo tackles that result in an offensive failure (sacks included.)

He's just getting killed in the YAC category.

So, I've got to agree that we've got to give him some time to blossom.

Blazedby92
11-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Gay is fine it's like TG keeps telling you guys, he is learning on the run, once he starts to fine tune his skills I think he could be better then Samuals, He breaks on the ball so much better than Mcfadden and Ike and Desha.

DanRooney
11-28-2009, 01:21 AM
You guys are saying that Gay could be as good or better than one of the best CBs in the league and a future HOFer? Samuels is one of the best ballhawkers in the league and thats including safeties. Come on guys, quit being homers and think more realistically.

Mike Tomlin
11-28-2009, 08:27 AM
N
Gay is fine it's like TG keeps telling you guys, he is learning on the run, once he starts to fine tune his skills I think he could be better then Samuals, He breaks on the ball so much better than Mcfadden and Ike and Desha.
I swear reading is fundamental, I said Samuel LIKE. Just like when Rashard was drafted cats called him a bust and I said he is Ladanian like people thought I was crazy. That didn't mean he was as good a him but it meant he naturally plays like him . Look how he sets up his runs there both instinctive backs. I think Gay will make a lot of people eat their words when he gets through his learning curve. People forget what he did the playing time that he got last year. This guy was always around the ball,just as he was in college. When this guy adjusts to being a full time starter those plays will be back, and he'll begin to react instead of hesitating and costing himself a big play. As far as Samuels goes I agree he's a hell of a corner........when he guesses right, but he's like Deon. Pump fake or a double move kills him.

steel-tex
11-29-2009, 05:22 PM
they probably dropped 5 or 6 ints at least - hit there hands and bounces off.

DanRooney
11-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Haha he looked very Asante Samuels-like today. Missed tackles, allowed the longest pass play of the last 2 years...this guy is wretched. A complete bum.

Zachintosh66
11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
"it is, what it is."

Phenomenal TJ
12-01-2009, 03:57 AM
You guys are saying that Gay could be as good or better than one of the best CBs in the league and a future HOFer? Samuels is one of the best ballhawkers in the league and thats including safeties. Come on guys, quit being homers and think more realistically.

Asante Samuel a future Hall Of Famer?

Really?

And as far as the 'one of the best corner's in the league' comment, according to Pro Football Focus, he's the 33rd best corner in the league.

DanRooney
12-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Asante Samuel a future Hall Of Famer?

Really?

And as far as the 'one of the best corner's in the league' comment, according to Pro Football Focus, he's the 33rd best corner in the league.

The '33rd best corner' in the league has 7 INTs on the season. If you add Ike's, Gay's and Townsend's INT number you get a 0. If you add those 3 plus Polamalu's, Clark's and Fox's you get one less than Samuel.

He's a playmaker and a 2 time SB champion, and I believe he has the most postseason INTs out of any player still in the league. 35 INTs in 7 years is pretty damn good.

Mike Tomlin
12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow I didn't know Gay was the only one missing tackles yesterday hell that wasn't Ray Rices first rodeo he's been doing that to people all year. Rice shook Farrior,Harrison,Gay, on seperate plays and then damn near the whole D on 2 plays. For some reason you only saw Gays missed tackles, but you missed that good open field tackle on Rice in the Redzone. As far that long pass I could have sworn we were in zone and Clark had deep man but he bit on Heap which made him about a step late. You saw that but you missed Ikes good coverage up until he forgot he was supposed stop the receiver catching the ball. Clark really looked like he miss timed the jump, he should have made another highlight and ran through him. Ike seems like he's just content with the fact that he can stay with the receiver instead of breaking up the pass lol. Bottomline everyone on D let the team down on one play or another and we don't have Troy to clean up behind those missed tackles.