PDA

View Full Version : More Special Teams changes; Woods, Ratliff cut...Ivy, Boiman added to roster

SteelCityKid5
11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
"Two more players were signed and two more sent packing by the Steelers today as they try to improve their special teams play, particularly their kickoff coverage. Linebacker Donovan Woods, signed from the practice squad last week, and veteran cornerback Keiwan Ratliff were released. Taking their places are two NFL veterans, cornerback Corey Ivy and linebacker Rocky Boiman.
Ivy, 32, has played for five NFL teams, most recently the Baltimore Ravens, whom the Steelers play Sunday night. He played for Baltimore the past three seasons. He was released by the Clevleand Browns after spending this summer in training camp with them.
Ratliff made the Steelers after signing with them as a free agent last spring. Woods last week replaced Arnold Harrison after he was released.
Coach Mike Tomlin said today he would move aggressively to change his team's ills, which include four kickoff returns for touchdowns against them in the past five games.
The Steelers also signed offensive lineman Jonathan Palmer to their practice squad and released running back Justin Vincent."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09328/1016069-100.stm#ixzz0XohV9ATr

Good news Ratliff is gone. Also, during Coach T's press conference he mentioned he has a guy flying in tomorrow to work out. Wonder who that could be? :thinking:

SouthCentral
11-24-2009, 06:07 PM
hopefully these changes actually make a positive impact!

Big T
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I was just about to post this...Thank god Keiwan is gone. the man couldnt cover/tackle for ****. It also gives us an opportunity to possibly see the young guys Joe Burnett and keenan Lewis play in dime situations.

Troyisabeast_43
11-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Both of these guys I do believe will make a positive impact on the Special Teams. Boiman was a good player for the Titans a few years back who has good speed for a linebacker and can tackle well also. Ivy as well is a solid addition too and hopefully he is motivated a lot to make an impact against the team that released him in the Ravens Sunday night in Baltimore...

DanRooney
11-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm all for both of these signings and cuts

jpele
11-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Being cut by the Browns speaks volumes.

75Steeler
11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
At this point I'm for whatever works.

BlackGold4vr
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Strong message being sent out. Do you freakin job or be gone! I like it! These guys need to have some of that "my job is on the line" fear put in them to take this job a little more seriously. Right now these special teams are the laughing stock of the NFL. Name another team that has given up kick returns for touchdowns in 4 consecutive games.

:clap:

LatrobePA
11-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Good move coach! Ratitch sucked putty balls as my momma would say!

Goodfrom55
11-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Not sure if he is anymore, but I thought Anthony Madison was available recently. He was a special teams gem last season for the Steelers. Anyone have any leads on this

LatrobePA
11-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Not sure if he is anymore, but I thought Anthony Madison was available recently. He was a special teams gem last season for the Steelers. Anyone have any leads on this

Cut by the browns signed with the Colts....

JensK
11-25-2009, 04:32 AM
Ivy was pretty damn good on ST last year for the Ravens

Phenomenal TJ
11-25-2009, 04:57 AM
Are we just using Ivey as a blocking dummy for our wide receivers?

;)