PDA

View Full Version : Chill the **** out

steelcityrockers
11-23-2009, 07:59 PM
A couple points here

1. With Arians, you could have the best play called and it ultimately comes to to execution. On the toss, someone missed the block on Jovan Belcher (I believe) and he made the tackle. Granted, I would have rather had Mendenhall in, but MeMo had a good day and is a good runner in his own right. Arians also went to the pass a lot because it was working very well. The running game was averaging less than 4 ypc, which is pretty shabby. When you pass for over 400 yards, you tend to stick with what works. Also with the toss on 3rd down, Batch evidently broke his wrist, so throwing was a no go. An up the middle type run would have been my preferred play there, but they were on the very far end of Reed's field goal range and a toss has a better chance for more yards albeit at a greater risk.

2. No drastic change of any sort is necessary. This is still a very good team, one that beat the then undefeated Vikings when they were at the top of their game for example. The Special Teams is the only area where any sort of change is drastically necessary. They are **** awful. Beyond that, Arians has been very good this year (note 9th in total offense before yesterday), Ben IS an elite QB (.71xx winning percentage, 2 playoff losses, 2 super bowl wins, 16 or so 4th Quarter Comebacks, 1 Pro Bowl and due for another), the defense is acceptable, though without Polamalu they are not exceptional.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Terrific post and thank you for posting this.......I agree with everything.....I have been calm all year despite this team blowing games they should win.....This team isn't done and I agree a ton of talent on both sides of the ball to fix whats wrong.....

LatrobePA
11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Ben passing 42 times (would of been more if not hurt) isn't acceptable, this falls on the OC. We will be lucky to see him play 3 more seasons if we don't find balance. This is what needs changed now!

The defense is giving up too many splash plays late in the game. Have teams figured out how to beat the great DL???

Other than that I agree with you, we have the players to make a run! But that's hard for me to say right now seeing how we lost to f'n KC!!

Ibleedblk&gld
11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
i haven't given up on our season...i think we're still ok, but some things DO need to change quick...

our special teams is absolute ****...i think everyone agrees w/ that, no need to beat a dead horse

william gay is giving up entirely too many big plays

tyrone carter needs to stop trying to pull off troy tackles (trying to dive 5 yds at guys, and hitting them w/o wrapping them up)

it seems as though things start to happen when ben goes no huddle and calls plays himself, esp. on game winning drives...where was that in OT?

that's just off the top of my head, if i sit down and think about the game, i'm sure i can come up w/ other things

steelcityrockers
11-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Ben passing 42 times (would of been more if not hurt) isn't acceptable, this falls on the OC. We will be lucky to see him play 3 more seasons if we don't find balance. This is what needs changed now!

The defense is giving up too many splash plays late in the game. Have teams figured out how to beat the great DL???

Other than that I agree with you, we have the players to make a run! But that's hard for me to say right now seeing how we lost to f'n KC!!

If Ben passing 42 times means he gets nearly 400 yards and driving the ball up and down the field seemingly at will, then yes it is acceptable. The running game wasn't exactly dominant, as I said before and the pass was. Indeed the defense is giving uo big plays, however it has nothing to do with the DL, rather the secondary which has played like trash late in the game.

Don't be fooled by their record, KC isn't an awful team. The Browns are a bad team, the Chiefs are in the middle of a major rebuild and are very slowly clawing their way back. They have a fair amount of talent on both sides of the ball and it really was only a matter of time before they had a game like that.

jpele
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Mendenhall got 7 yards on a first-and-10, 7 yards on the next first-and-10, then 8 on second-and-10 to the Kansas City 35.

But on third-and-2, or just one first down from a winning field goal, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians sent Mewelde Moore wide right on a toss play. This was nothing more than a stupid play call.

it reminds me of the double fake reverse to Ward from the 1 yard line that cost us a game. You can't fix stupidity with execution.

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
The Steelers can right this ship and still turn this thing around. I believe winning a key division game in Baltimore Sunday night and putting them out of their misery for good as far as the playoffs go is just the kind of game and win this Steelers team needs right now. A win this Sunday in Baltimore will turn this whole season around and put the Steelers right in this division race until the end of the season. Especially when you take into account they have 3 of their next 4 games at home and their only road trip in the last month until after New Year's in Miami is against the pathetic Shitstains...

Sir Blitzelot
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Don't be fooled by their record, KC isn't an awful team. The Browns are a bad team, the Chiefs are in the middle of a major rebuild and are very slowly clawing their way back. They have a fair amount of talent on both sides of the ball and it really was only a matter of time before they had a game like that.

Still, losing to a team with a 2-7 record is inexcusable in my book.

LatrobePA
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Thank you!

27th against the rush and we pass all day, whats wrong there? You have to keep pounding the ball to soften up the D, then holes will open. We fell into their trap and lost!

I will say I seen this loss coming!

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Im with you on that as well. Anybody in there right minds that thought the Chiefs had a legit chance to win this game with no Dwayne Bowe and no Mike Vrabel in their lineup is lying. The Chiefs made the plays when they needed too yesterday but the Steelers gave this game away with a lot of stupid uncharacteristic plays. I didnt think there was a chance in hell as bad as the entire Chiefs offense looked in that first half that they had a snowballs chance in hell of beating the Steelers being down by 10 at halftime. The Steelers and the offense appeared to have finally found their ryhthm in the 2nd quarter and you knew that unless they completely imploded in the 2nd half they were not going to lose that game. And that's exactly what they ended up doing.

The key play for me was the Heath Miller INT on the opening drive of the 2nd half. The Steelers at that point were driving, the crowd was out of the game, and had they scored there and gone up 24-7 it's game set match. The Miller interception gave the Chiefs a tremendous amount of life and they marched right down on the Steelers defense and scored way too easily in my opinion thanks to the blown assignment by William Gay. After that whole sequence happened you could just tell that something was off and something just did not feel right about how that whole game was going to play out...

Goodfrom55
11-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Loss might be inexcuseable, but in '05, Steelers were 7-5 and then started their run.

I don't mind Arians' system, but I do think the playcalling at times stinks. I thought for sure if they were going to run Moore on 3rd and 2, they would have at least gone 4 wide sprint draw. of the 3 RB's, Moore's definitely the slowest.

steelcityrockers
11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you!

27th against the rush and we pass all day, whats wrong there? You have to keep pounding the ball to soften up the D, then holes will open. We fell into their trap and lost!

I will say I seen this loss coming!

The run was not working well at all. Yes, there were times that someone would squirt through for 8 yards but for the most part it was rather stuffed. The pass, minus two awful plays, was magnificent. How can you go away from something that had been working that well?

SteelCityKid5
11-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I think Arians is over using Ben. Yeah pass happy is alright. But you need to have some type of running game. I just dont like it.

JensK
11-24-2009, 02:26 AM
The run was not working well at all. Yes, there were times that someone would squirt through for 8 yards but for the most part it was rather stuffed. The pass, minus two awful plays, was magnificent. How can you go away from something that had been working that well?

The run may not have been working all that well, but you still have to keep pounding the ball, or else it becomes way to easy to defend against the pass. We see it every time we are in redzone, they'll just drop most of their LBs and throw in a nickel, and there you go: All WRs covered. I could accept a 60-40 pass-run ratio, but this is getting a little out of hands. You have to be less predictable, especially when we face better teams like Ravens. They'll blitz us to death if we come out and pass that much, and they will succeed because 80% of Ariens calls will be plays which are designed to go 15-20y down the field, which takes too long time to execute :imho: