PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to try out Qb's on Tuesday

SteelCityKid5
11-23-2009, 02:56 PM
"With Charlie Batch expected to miss six weeks (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/23/charlie-batch-out-six-weeks/) of action and Ben Roethlisberger's status up in the air, the Steelers are working on finding quarterback depth.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports the team has begun to make calls, including one to Cleo Lemon. (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/5981102326) It's uncertain how serious the team's interest level is in Lemon.

Even if Roethlisberger is able to play this week, the team may want another body around to learn the system as insurance. Injured reserve sounds like an option for Batch.

UPDATE: Old buddy Aaron Wilson reports for NFP that Jeff Garcia has also been called by the Steelers. The team is expected to conduct a tryout Tuesday"

profootballtalk.com

Captcoolhand
11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I'll tell ya right now that Ben is going to play and will continue to play until something breaks.
If Batch wasn't ready after 11 weeks of season to play, what makes you think he will be in 6? Dixon know our system more than anyone right now and to bring in someone else to fill in, is just a waste of time and money.:2cents:

SteelCityKid5
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Not really. It's an insurance policy. You don't know if Ben werent to play Sunday and Dixon were to get hurt, we wouldn't have a QB period. I'd rather sign another QB than to run out of them. 2 QBs nowadays isnt going to cut it. Thats why teams carry 3.

coldrolled
11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I'll tell ya right now that Ben is going to play and will continue to play until something breaks.
If Batch wasn't ready after 11 weeks of season to play, what makes you think he will be in 6? Dixon know our system more than anyone right now and to bring in someone else to fill in, is just a waste of time and money.:2cents:

Dixon will be fine. We need to get Bruce out of here tuesday...

just another distraction to save his butt.

Ibleedblk&gld
11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
1. fire bruce
2. if we're going to sign someone, please sign garcia, and not lemon
3. i'd like to see what dixon can do

i don't want to see another game like we had against the raiders in 06...ben shouldn't have played that game (or possibly that season) b/c of his offseason injuries...

if ben thinks he's ready to start monday, i'm all for it, but if he starts looking uncomfortable or woozy when getting up, like he did in that game against the raiders, then we need to put dixon in

UKSTEELER
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Ben will play next week, I have faith in Dixon as a capable back-up should he be needed.

I love the way he's been earwigging in on the playcalling between Ben and Brucie, he's always there in shot.

He's probably as baffled by the playcalling as we are though!

:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Ben will want to play, so it's up to the Coaches and Doc's to make the final call. Garcia is mostly a west coast offense type of QB but if he can come in, in a pinch for a week till Ben gets his head back on straight then it's a helluva lot better than having Lemon come in. Honestly do you want our QB's to be Lemon & Dixon or Garcia & Dixon?

Zachintosh66
11-23-2009, 04:04 PM
West coast or not... Garcia has led teams to the playoffs... Lemon hasnt gotten off the bench.

Bring in Garcia and give the reigns to Dixon, hes ready!

lloydfan4life
11-23-2009, 04:08 PM
:wtf: Lemon???? Seriously?? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Who's making this call.... Ariens???? :duh:

BR7
11-23-2009, 04:53 PM
What's Tim Couch doing these days?

Captcoolhand
11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
What's Tim Couch doing these days?
I'd be in favor of Tim Couch but Arians ruined his career also....

franchise3
11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Mewelde can always fill in

GoBenGo
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Rather we brought in a couple of OC's for a try out instead...
Wish we'd signed vick ...lol

OASN- They don't have the confidence in DD to toss him the keys yet ...

ShellShock
11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Sign a QB who can throw it deep and hit Wallace in stride.

DanRooney
11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Sign a QB who can throw it deep and hit Wallace in stride.

Yeah and hopefully when he does, Wallace doesn't fumble it by not securing the ball

steelcityrockers
11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
If this were my decision, I would give Brooks Bollinger a good look. His contract with the UFL is up soon and he has been dominant there.

Zachintosh66
11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Tyler Palko will be signed to the practice squad... no QB will be added. Ben will play...

Sir Blitzelot
11-23-2009, 09:49 PM
There is no way Ben will miss a game of this magnitude. :nono:

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Tyler Palko will be signed to the practice squad... no QB will be added. Ben will play...

Do you have a link of some sort to back this signing of Palko up??

steelerfan11
11-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Do you have a link of some sort to back this signing of Palko up??

This is from Wexell's tweet.

Steelers will sign Palko to PS on Wednesday, according to SCI.com's MIke Prisuta. CFL procedures involved.

Zachintosh66
11-23-2009, 11:48 PM
thanks sf11

JensK
11-24-2009, 03:28 AM
Yeah and hopefully when he does, Wallace doesn't fumble it by not securing the ball

Pft! You don't bad-talk Wallace on this board. It's almost as bad as saying Sweed can catch a ball. Shame on you!

They drafted Dixon for a reason, now is the time for him to step up and become the second guy!

coldrolled
11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Pft! You don't bad-talk Wallace on this board. It's almost as bad as saying Sweed can catch a ball. Shame on you!

They drafted Dixon for a reason, now is the time for him to step up and become the second guy!

he was an acl injury away from the Heisman.

hes a vince young / randall cunninham... we could use the new energy.

75Steeler
11-24-2009, 12:12 PM
****.... Put Hines in he played QB in high school and won awards. Enough hang time and he can run down field and intercept his own pass for the TD. In all seriousness I just hope Ben is really 100% otherwise we are screwed. Dixon only has one pass in his NFL career. Not saying he wouldn't do a good job. He just hasn't taken enough big league snaps.