PDA

View Full Version : Batch injured

SteelCityKid5
11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Even more problems...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4682002

Batch is out 6 weeks with a wrist injury. My question is when or how did it happen? Wasn't he in there for about three or four plays? Do we go sign a veteran QB? This helps especially on a Monday after losing to the Chiefs.

Scorp
11-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Probably too much :whatever:

steelersgal86
11-23-2009, 11:04 AM
wow...you got to be kidding me...he couldnt of been in there more a minute :duh:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Holy crap when did he do this?? :wtf: Well they aren't going to allow just Dixon to be the main backup without having some insurance. They'll go out and get a veteran for now I would think.

BR7
11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Maddox

TampaSteelGirl
11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Hits just keep comin......:evilshake:

Captcoolhand
11-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I heard about this yesterday, just couldn't understand what the real reason for this guy to even be on this team.

Okay. they resigned him to help coach Dixon But if you're going to tell a guy how it's done, you damn better be able to go in and show him how to do it also.

lloydfan4life
11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
:wtf:
What's next?
Them signing Ariens to a long term deal? :banging:

DanRooney
11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
He strained his wrist on his only pass, which is way we ran the next two plays. HE made us do that 3rd and 2 RB sweep with our slowest back. HE lost us the game!!!

Haha just kidding. I have no idea. Jeff Garcia in Cancun???

coldrolled
11-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Holy crap when did he do this?? :wtf: Well they aren't going to allow just Dixon to be the main backup without having some insurance. They'll go out and get a veteran for now I would think.

i bet Dixon at starter against the bengals and the chiefs. we win both.

he rolls out and is a run threat. he passes fine. and we would run more with mendenhall with dixon in.

Captcoolhand
11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
i bet Dixon at starter against the bengals and the chiefs. we win both.

he rolls out and is a run threat. he passes fine. and we would run more with mendenhall with dixon in.
No we wouldn't!

Ba only thinks about the here and now and not what ifs.
once everyone went down yesterday, the team had no Idea to what to do next.

V_83
11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Maddox

That would sum up the last two weeks pretty well.

Callax
11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Even more problems...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4682002

Batch is out 6 weeks with a wrist injury. My question is when or how did it happen? Wasn't he in there for about three or four plays? Do we go sign a veteran QB? This helps especially on a Monday after losing to the Chiefs.

WOW!
He must have chipped the porcelin off his fingernails!!!
Time to get out of the game.....

JensK
11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I would love if they would just throw Dixon in as second QB... Guy has a lot of potential (much more than batch ever had), and if we have to go out and get any of the available FA Qbs we are screwed never the less..

V_83
11-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I would love if they would just throw Dixon in as second QB... Guy has a lot of potential (much more than batch ever had), and if we have to go out and get any of the available FA Qbs we are screwed never the less..

To be completely honest I'm kind of excited to see what our offense does come Sunday. I also think that Dixon has great potential and want to see how he has progressed the last two years. With any luck BA won't be as confident, in his arm as Bens, so we'll run the ball more.

Zachintosh66
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
China Doll Charlie... finally got it where i could dust off his old nickname

BR7
11-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Leftwich: "I told yo so."

SteelCityKid5
11-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Question: Who is out there to sign? I would believe you can't continue this season with 2 QB's.

JensK
11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Question: Who is out there to sign? I would believe you can't continue this season with 2 QB's.

non really.. And i would rather have Dixon over those who are out there.

BR7
11-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I think Garcia is the best of the unemployed bunch. I use the word best loosely.

Blazedby92
11-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Dixon at QB and here we come WILDCAT!!!!!!:lol:

Silverback 92
11-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Holy Crap !! It just keeps getting worse

coldrolled
11-23-2009, 12:27 PM
To be completely honest I'm kind of excited to see what our offense does come Sunday. I also think that Dixon has great potential and want to see how he has progressed the last two years. With any luck BA won't be as confident, in his arm as Bens, so we'll run the ball more.

hopefully there is a meeting on right now and their planning on canning BA tuesday...

BR7
11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
hopefully there is a meeting on right now and their planning on canning BA tuesday...

I've come to the conclusion that BA either has a deal with the devil or he has some incriminating photos of the Rooney brass. He should have been let go after the SB, regardless if we would have won or not.

SteelCityKid5
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
BA isnt getting fired this season so get it out of your head.

Steel Trap86
11-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Batch is out for the season, I saw it on NFLN this morning. The Steelers contacted veteran QB Cleo Lemon as a potential replacement.

Arians isn't getting fired either, we're stuck with this guy at least until the 2011 season.

V_83
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Cleo Lemon? I hope you're joking.

Steel Trap86
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Cleo Lemon? I hope you're joking.

lol im laughing...but i ain't joking

K Train
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
id be more comfortable with dixon, for christ sakes that why they drafted him. not all backups have to be old washed up ****s.

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Asking Dennis Dixon to go into Baltimore on a Sunday night and beat a Ravens team in his first NFL start that is in an absolute MUST win situation to keep their playoff hopes alive is a tall tall order. If Charlie Batch is that worthless and he breaks his wrist after being in for 2 plays after not playing for 2 years then the guy is a complete and total load and should be released tomorrow...

K Train
11-23-2009, 01:00 PM
last i heard ben was probable, but weve all seen ben after injury (after the atlant game a few years back when his head got crushed)

KSSteelerfan
11-23-2009, 01:00 PM
I heard Cade McNown is looking for work.

Steel Trap86
11-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger “got his bell rung” and will go for further testing on Monday to determine if he suffered a concussion on Sunday, according to a league source.

Signs were positive that the injury was not a major setback, and Roethlisberger’s status for Sunday’s AFC North showdown at Baltimore will be determined later this week.

If somehow Roethlisberger can’t go, the Steelers would be in a world of trouble because they are also bracing for the likelihood they will be without veteran backup Charlie Batch for the duration of the regular season. Batch suffered a serious wrist injury after replacing Roethlisberger late in Sunday’s loss at Kansas City.

With inexperienced second-year pro Dennis Dixon as the team’s third-stringer, the Steelers have begun looking for help in the free-agent market, contacting veteran Cleo Lemon, according to a league source.

In other quarterback news, the Cardinals are optimistic Kurt Warner will not have to miss time. For precautionary measures, he spent the second half of Sunday’s win at St. Louis on the sidelines after suffering an apparent concussion.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/roethlisberger-to-have-tests-steelers-optimistic/

J.OTSTOTT
11-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Well I guess it's safe to say we wont make the playoffs. GREAT news to wake up to. The Chiefs finished us off, I am going to go for moment before I say some things I will regret later!

Ibleedblk&gld
11-23-2009, 01:08 PM
god, please don't let us sign lemon....PLEASE

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Leftwich: "I told yo so."

I was saying the same friggin thing when we let Lefty go; we all knew he was good for this team and there's no reason he shouldn't have been brought back. I know he wanted to start but I'd bet if we offered him a decent paycheck he might have stayed.

So, ummm, yeah, it ain't good now at all :evilshake:

Ibleedblk&gld
11-23-2009, 01:35 PM
he's riding the pine in TB now...

Blazedby92
11-23-2009, 01:55 PM
FWP for Leftwich trade,:grin1:

Forged in Steel
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Kordell Stewart...?

franchise3
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Calm down everyone, Ben will play this Sunday. He feels good. However, if I'm wrong and Dixon does play against Baltimore, we better have 4 players/things ready for Sunday. Mendy, Reed, Sepulveda, and secondary defense.

And also, before you all start throwing Batch under the bus, it could have been just a wrong move. He didn't have time to warm up, I saw him blowing in his hands so his hands were probably cold which didn't help his wrist and he is old. It doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to play the whole season in different circumstances.

Captcoolhand
11-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Calm down everyone, Ben will play this Sunday. He feels good. However, if I'm wrong and Dixon does play against Baltimore, we better have 4 players/things ready for Sunday. Mendy, Reed, Sepulveda, and secondary defense.

And also, before you all start throwing Batch under the bus, it could have been just a wrong move. He didn't have time to warm up, I saw him blowing in his hands so his hands were probably cold which didn't help his wrist and he is old. It doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to play the whole season in different circumstances.
you're kidding right?

Steel Trap86
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Looks like there is a chance Dixon will start against the Ravens if Ben can't go this Sunday!

The Steelers confirmed that backup QB Charlie Batch hurt his wrist during Sunday’s overtime loss to the Chiefs, but the team will not comment on the severity of the injury until coach Mike Tomlin speaks Tuesday, NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports.

Batch had to play in overtime Sunday after starter Ben Roethlisberger left the game with what Tomlin called “a concussion-oriented thing.” Batch completed 1 of 2 passes for 17 yards on the Steelers’ lone overtime possession, but he couldn’t lead them to the winning score. The Chiefs kicked a field goal to win the game on their next possession.

Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round draft pick in 2008, is the only other QB on the Steelers’ roster and could start next Sunday against the Ravens if Roethlisberger and Batch can’t go. Dixon has played in one NFL regular-season game and completed his only pass attempt for 3 yards.

In the market for QB help, the Steelers contacted veteran Cleo Lemon, a league source told La Canfora.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/batch-has-wrist-injury-but-steelers-revealing-little/

franchise3
11-23-2009, 02:39 PM
you're kidding right?

No, I am not. I am guessing you are referring to the 2nd part of my e-mail. He didn't warm up. That could have been a cause of it. Freak accidents happen. It doesn't mean that this guy was not fit to play football this year.

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
If there going to bring in any backup at all Id take my chances with Jeff Garcia. He has had a lot of success in the league and is a proven veteran that can be counted on if called upon...

Prosdo
11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Still not sure how Batch managed to get injured, but certainly is not good news. I don't like the prospect of Dixon making the start.

franchise3
11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
If there going to bring in any backup at all Id take my chances with Jeff Garcia. He has had a lot of success in the league and is a proven veteran that can be counted on if called upon...

I agree, he is way better than Lemon, and who knows maybe Lemon would be rat birds spy.

Also, I would rather see Garcia than Dixon. This is no time for putting a kid in the game.

V_83
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree, he is way better than Lemon, and who knows maybe Lemon would be rat birds spy.

Also, I would rather see Garcia than Dixon. This is no time for putting a kid in the game.

Ravens or not, I would rather see Dixon then whoever else we bring in. He's learned the offense the last two years, I think he'd do all right, compared to Garcias or Lemons 3-4 days.

That is if Ben doesn't play. From what I've seen he doesn't seem to be to badly hurt.

lloydfan4life
11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
For crap sakes... our clunker gets injured and they're looking to replace him with a lemon! :banging:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
If Dixon has to come in there right now, against a defense as good as the ratbirds, our chances of winning go WAY down. The Ratbirds give good teams fits, they always do, just like our defense does. If Dixon comes in there for his first live action against a defense that is aggressive and tough it's going to be a nightmare.

I don't care how mobile he is and how far he's come and all that, the fact that Ben has to muscle so many plays on the fly doesn't bode well for a newbie QB coming in trying to work with the same offense. Our offense is built around Ben and what he can do to keep plays alive, you think Dixon will be able to do that? no way!

The Ratbirds are tough against the run too so lets not kid ourselves into thinking that we're gonna rush for 200 yds against them either.

Zachintosh66
11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Ok Ok... Worst case senerio...

Ben PLAYS sun nite, gets drilled (thats a fact, he will get hit... thats the nature of his game) and furthers his concussion symptoms even farther IE: Westbrook. And Ben ends up missing even more time.

Id rather Ben sit out a week, than hurry him back and him end up missing more than one week.

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM

It's why if they are going to bring somebody in which I hope is Garcia they had better do it and do it today. Who knows how well Garcia would do if he had to play Sunday night in Baltimore after having less then a week to know the system. I think you start Dixon and keep him on a very very short leash and if he continues to struggle going into the 2nd quarter and nearing halftime you yank him and put Garcia in...If people think the Steelers are going to beat the Ravens by Dennis Dixon scrambling for his life every single play and trying to run then they are sadly mistaken...If Dixon does start and play he is going to have to throw the football well and make plays with his arm or the Steelers will have no chance at all to win in Baltimore...

LarryNJ
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I think Garcia is the best of the unemployed bunch. I use the word best loosely.

I'd have no problem with Garcia. He could certainly win a game or 2...and as an added bonus his wife is smoking hot! :)

Steel Trap86
11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
I would agree that Garcia is the best unemployed 2nd stringer we should just pick him up today and get ready for Baltimore.

I don't even remember who Cleo Lemon is, where did he play?

K Train
11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
shoulda brought in vick

BR7
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I'd be more comfortable with Dixon starting over Garcia, atleast he can see over the LOS and I'd think he'd know the playbook a little better than Garcia who would have less than a week to learn all 9 of BAs plays.

I don't even remember who Cleo Lemon is, where did he play?

Miami I last remember.

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I'd be more comfortable with Dixon starting over Garcia, atleast he can see over the LOS and I'd think he'd know the playbook a little better than Garcia who would have less than a week to learn all 9 of BAs plays.

Miami I last remember.

Id be more comfortable starting Dixon as well. But it still doesnt mean that you dont keep him on a short leash and put Garcia in if he looks like **** in the first half. The Steelers cant afford to let Dixon come in this game in Baltimore and learn on the job and then he shits the bed. This game is too important for the playoffs so Tomlin and the coaching staff had better do whatever is neccessary to win this game. If that means yanking Dixon if he has a bad quarter or half in favor of Garcia if they do indeed sign him then so be it you gotta do it...

LatrobePA
11-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Cabbage Batch has seen his last stint in B&G. He's been great but too unreliable....

Captcoolhand
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
First of all, Ben is going to play, so there's not going to be a need for a back-up.

BR7
11-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Id be more comfortable starting Dixon as well. But it still doesnt mean that you dont keep him on a short leash and put Garcia in if he looks like **** in the first half. The Steelers cant afford to let Dixon come in this game in Baltimore and learn on the job and then he shits the bed. This game is too important for the playoffs so Tomlin and the coaching staff had better do whatever is neccessary to win this game. If that means yanking Dixon if he has a bad quarter or half in favor of Garcia if they do indeed sign him then so be it you gotta do it...

If it came down to it, I think Dixon would be fine.

J.OTSTOTT
11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
LOVE THE SIG BR7!!!

Ambridge
11-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Okay "Chinadoll" Batch has got to go!!

The last time he saw some live game action he got injured and was done for the season.
See you Charlie!!

lloydfan4life
11-23-2009, 04:09 PM
.....I don't even remember who Cleo Lemon is, where did he play?

Professional career

First stint with Ravens
Despite finishing his collegiate career in 2000, Lemon was not signed by an NFL team until the Baltimore Ravens picked him up on January 10, 2002. He spent time on the practice squad of Berlin Thunder in the NFL Europe. He was released prior to the regular season.

San Diego Chargers
Lemon was signed by the San Diego Chargers on April 4, 2003. He was waived prior to the start of the season, then re-signed to the Chargers' practice squad where he spent the entire 2003 season.

Lemon was re-signed by the Chargers on January 12, 2004. In preseason, Lemon completed 17 of 27 passes (63.0%) for 178 yards one interception. After a contract holdout by Philip Rivers forced the first-round pick to miss most of training camp, Lemon was able to make the team as the No. 3 quarterback behind Drew Brees and Doug Flutie. He was inactive for all 16 regular season games and Wild Card playoff contest.

In the 2005 preseason with San Diego, Lemon completed 34 of 49 passes (69.4%) for 369 yards with three touchdowns, no interceptions and a passer rating of 111.7. He served as the team's third-string quarterback until October 18, 2005, when he was traded to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for quarterback A.J. Feeley and a sixth-round draft choice in 2006.

Miami Dolphins
Lemon was inactive as the third quarterback for all 11 games with the Dolphins in 2005.

In the 2006 preseason, Lemon was 42-59 for 450 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions for a rating of 104.5. In his start on August 31 against the St. Louis Rams, he was 21-27 for 271 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions for a rating of 120.8. Lemon served as the third-string quarterback for the first four games of 2006, and became the primary backup after Daunte Culpepper became inactive starting Week 5.

On December 17 in a game against the Buffalo Bills, Lemon replaced starter Joey Harrington and threw for 98 yards on 9 of 16 passing with no touchdowns and no interceptions. While Harrington started the following week, Lemon replaced him at halftime eight days later on Monday Night Football versus the New York Jets. He finished the game 11 of 16 passing for 104 yards (68.8%) and one touchdown, earning a 107.3 passer rating. However, he could not lead the Dolphins to victory as the Jets won on a last-minute field goal.

After a career as a backup, Lemon started the first regular season game of his career in the season finale against the Indianapolis Colts on December 31. Lemon played fairly well against the eventual Super Bowl champions, completing 18 of 36 passes for 210 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He also led the team to 10 fourth-quarter points as the Dolphins fell just short, losing 27-22.

Lemon, who was a restricted free agent in the 2007 offseason, was tendered a one-year, $1.3 million contract by the Dolphins on March 3. He signed the tender on May 29. New head coach Cam Cameron was offensive coordinator for the Chargers during Lemon's entire tenure there.

With Joey Harrington moving on to the Atlanta Falcons, Lemon became backup to the newly acquired Trent Green. With an injury to Green in Week 5, Lemon was named the starter for the Dolphin's away game against Cleveland. After shaking off some early rust, Lemon led the Dolphins to near victory against the Browns with several successful drives (including a drive where the Dolphins lost 20 yards on penalties that was capped with a 4th and 1 touchdown). Showing amazing determination, Lemon brought victory within their grasp, with his two touchdown rushes, two touchdown passes, and an impressive 107.3 QB rating, but the Dolphins defense couldn't stop the Browns. His next start was in Miami's 49-28 loss to New England, going 24 for 37, with 1 rushing touchdown and 236 passing yards. But in Week 11, Lemon was replaced by rookie quarterback John Beck. Lemon was re-named the Dolphins' starting Quarterback in Week 15 against the Ravens. He threw a game-winning touchdown to Greg Camarillo in overtime to beat Baltimore 22-16, giving Miami their first (and only) win of the season.

Jacksonville Jaguars
On February 29, 2008, Lemon signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The three year deal was worth just under $9 million. [1] He played in only two games and missed in both pass attempts in his debut season with the Jags.

He was released on June 17, 2009 after struggling to pick up the Jaguars system.

Second stint with Ravens
After originally joining the Baltimore Ravens as a street free agent in 2002, Lemon re-signed with Baltimore on August 16, 2009. The move reunited him with Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, whom Lemon had previously played for with both the San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins. He was waived on September 1.

Sounds like a real gem! :duh:

LatrobePA
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Lemmon is a lemon!

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
First of all, Ben is going to play, so there's not going to be a need for a back-up.

Are you Ben's doctor or something?? We dont know that for sure yet and wont know until Tomlin's news conference tomorrow. If Ben doesnt have medical clearance from the doctors he is not going to play period...

K Train
11-23-2009, 04:26 PM
i would want dj shockley over lemon.

garcia would win games, no doubt....but he would win 2 and demand a 5 year contract like hes done with everyone hes every played for.

bring in chase daniel to back up dixon, hes a mini ben

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/stugein/chasedaniel.jpg

Captcoolhand
11-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Are you Ben's doctor or something?? We dont know that for sure yet and wont know until Tomlin's news conference tomorrow. If Ben doesnt have medical clearance from the doctors he is not going to play period...
No but if you don't know Ben by now, then you are clearly on wrong side of the fence.

Steel Trap86
11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Ben should play, he said he was fine, but if he isn't cleared everyday this week then he won't.

lloydfan4life
11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
bring in chase daniel to back up dixon, hes a mini ben

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/stugein/chasedaniel.jpg

Holy crap... that resemblance is unreal

JensK
11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I say Steelers regret they didnt sign Vick :P

franchise3
11-23-2009, 04:51 PM
My guess is that Ben is fine and he will practice on Friday if not even Thursday. He will play. Like someone said, it's Ben!!!

Troyisabeast_43
11-23-2009, 05:12 PM
No but if you don't know Ben by now, then you are clearly on wrong side of the fence.

I know he played the following week after he had a concussion in 2006 against the Raiders and he threw 4 interceptions and had one of his worst games ever in a Steelers uniform...Im sure if he is cleared to play and can play then he will. This is too big of a game for Ben to sit out and not play unless it's absolutely neccessary. I still want to wait and get the official word from Coach T tomorrow...

LatrobePA
11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Ravens will be looking for the KO sack against Ben if he does play (which he will). Better have your head on a swivel BB and OL....

Blazedby92
11-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I say Steelers regret they didnt sign Vick :P

We didn't need another RB:lol:

Mike Tomlin
11-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Why not bring Lemon in and see what he has. He didn't look bad in the game I saw him in and his stats atleast warrant a look.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Supposedly STEELERS are signing Tyler Palko to practice squad.He will clear CFL waivers tomorrow.

JensK
11-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Never seen him play, but he is a Pittsburgh native, and by numbers, he wasnt so bad in college... What about those we already had on PS? What did they do?