PDA

View Full Version : Limas and the Chiefs

jpele
11-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm not taking the Chief's lightly,but I believe this would be a good game to give Sweed some much needed playing time.

I'm not about to give up on the guy because I believe he can become a very good receiver and the last thing we need to do is waste another draft pick on a WR.

Stlrs4Life
11-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I'd give him another chance.

LatrobePA
11-20-2009, 02:10 PM
BA the DA says the kid has had some great practices and is on the verge of breaking out!

jackhammer1
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
He never has had a problem getting open, he just has to CATCH THE BALL!

jpele
11-20-2009, 02:36 PM
BA the DA says the kid has had some great practices and is on the verge of breaking out!

Lets hope they're right, I would love to see Sweed turn it on.

franchise3
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM

That's not a good sign for Sweed. That means that he had horrible practices since BA knows nothing about football. Why do they even ask him anything?

coldrolled
11-20-2009, 03:03 PM
That's not a good sign for Sweed. That means that he had horrible practices since BA knows nothing about football. Why do they even ask him anything?

the best one is .... Ben always says how much he likes BA....

What else can he say?? I hate the idiot....

Has any draft pick selected with BA as OC made a dent yet??

Mike Wallace... BA cant teach speed?? any others?

LatrobePA
11-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Maybe Ben means BA (Bush & ***)???

Captcoolhand
11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
the Steelers need to go in concentrating on winning this game and not worry about given a guy extra playing time.....

Everytime I look at this game I can't help but to think of that terrible game we had against Houston back in 2002.( seems like yesterday ) We complete dominated that game and lost.....Houston sucked and everyone figured us to crush them....And we did but.....

We lost, At home, 24-6

|HOU|PIT
1st Downs|3|24
Total Yards|47|422
Passing Yards|10|294
Comp-Att-Int|3-10-0|31-58-2
Yards Per Pass|1.0|5.1
Sacked-Yards Lost|4-23|6-32
Rushing Yards|37|128
Attempts|26|31
Average|1.4|4.1
Interceptions|0|2
Fumbles-Lost|3-1|3-3
Punts|10|6
Yards|421|207
Yards Per Punt |42.1|34.5
Penalties|1|8|
Yards|18|57
Time of Possession|20:19|39:41

jpele
11-20-2009, 03:36 PM
the Steelers need to go in concentrating on winning this game

I'm sure they will, but giving Sweed a couple series won't affect the outcome of the game . He continues to drop ball you pull him out that simple. The man has talent his problem is the mental aspect of the game.

He made a few mistakes now he's pressing,he needs his confidence restored aand the only way to do that is playing time. JMO

LatrobePA
11-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Wallace has been sick and missed some practice, so Sweed had the chance to work as the #3 with 1st team O this week.....

Captcoolhand
11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm sure they will, but giving Sweed a couple series won't affect the outcome of the game . He continues to drop ball you pull him out that simple. The man has talent his problem is the mental aspect of the game.

He made a few mistakes now he's pressing,he needs his confidence restored aand the only way to do that is playing time. JMO
Oh, I agree with ya, don't get me wrong. but more often than not, teams go into these types a games with the wrong mentality, they end up shooting themselves in the foot. :2cents:

Troyisabeast_43
11-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I dont want to see Sweed on the field they dont need him. The receiving core right now is fine with Hines,Tone,Miller,and Mike Wallace. The Steelers main objective now is to win football games and get in the playoffs and still win this division not giving Limas Sweed more playing time...Besides we all know what's going to happen if they throw the ball to Sweed much like he has done all year long he is going to drop it...

K Train
11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
he should be on the field for 40 snaps....make him play, make him get a rhythm. hes going to be great, i maintain that, when we need him hes gonna be one to step up.

coldrolled
11-20-2009, 04:07 PM

we cant give up on any offensive player from the BA era.

after BA is gone in Feb. the new OC can look over our 2 year old draft picks and start over.

i think BA turns our new guys into mental cases.....

Troyisabeast_43
11-20-2009, 04:13 PM
he should be on the field for 40 snaps....make him play, make him get a rhythm. hes going to be great, i maintain that, when we need him hes gonna be one to step up.

Had he stepped up against the Bengals on September 27th and caught that TD in Cincy the Steelers are probably leading the AFC North still right now or are at least tied for the lead. People can blame the defense in that game all they want and that's fine, but had Sweed caught that TD midway through the 3rd after the Bengals got a little bit of life back in that game it probably would have broke them and put the game away for good...

K Train
11-20-2009, 04:24 PM
bunch of ifs.... could go all day with ifs about this team. you dont have to like sweed, but when im right at the end of the day do your best to stand off the bandwagon

Big T
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Limas needs reps...nuff said

and when he does get in there, Ben's first pass needs to be there so Limas can get his confidence up.

Like a few of you said, I have faith in him and I know that he will be a stud in the near future.

Captcoolhand
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Ben's first pass needs to be there so Limas can get his confidence up.

.Ya, 1st play of the game should be a 50+ yarder to Sweed. What better way to start a game.

Steel Trap86
11-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Sweed has been getting reps for over 5 years now, and he's not a rookie anymore. His senior year at Texas, before entering the NFL draft, he had 19 catches for 306 yds. & 3 TD's., those numbers aren't that great, but the year before in 2006 he had 46 catches & 12 TD's. I'm pulling for the guy, but he has yet to show us a big break-out game and he's had chance after chance and dropped ball after ball. Like 43 said, that drop in the first Bengals game cost us the game, Sweed HAS to make those catches. Right now this team has to focus on beating down there remaining schedule to make the playoffs because the ****ing Bengals are on top of the division, not trying to beat some game out of Sweed.

LatrobePA
11-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Ya, 1st play of the game should be a 50+ yarder to Sweed. What better way to start a game.

Don't push it man, 6-7 yarder to warm up...Baby steps, lol!

I agree, I think he'll be a stud soon!

Troyisabeast_43
11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
bunch of ifs.... could go all day with ifs about this team. you dont have to like sweed, but when im right at the end of the day do your best to stand off the bandwagon

Well you had mentioned a few days ago about how this team is inconsistent and loses twice to the Bengals and beats the Vikings but loses to the Bears. Well Limas Sweed is a big big reason the Steelers lost the first game to the Bengals if not the main reason...If Sweed could consistently catch the ball like he was drafted to do the Steelers are tied for first in the AFC North...Maybe he can take some notes or lessons from Mike Wallace on how to make big catches late in games in the 2nd half seeing that Wallace has done it pretty much in about 4 or 5 of the games the Steelers have won this season thus far...

--- Added 11/20/2009 at 04:08 PM ---

we cant give up on any offensive player from the BA era.

after BA is gone in Feb. the new OC can look over our 2 year old draft picks and start over.

i think BA turns our new guys into mental cases.....

Mike Wallace is a new guy and he doesnt seem to have any mental problems catching the football. That's my point people cant continually keep coming on here and defending Sweed and saying this is why he isnt doing good and this is why he has yet to break out because Mike Wallace who didnt have as much hype around him or high expectations around him like Sweed did his rookie year has come in here and pretty much made Sweed a forgotten man.

jpele
11-20-2009, 07:05 PM
So you people that believe Sweed cost us a win because of a dropped pass against Cincinnati in the first game, will want Holmes benched for costing us a win in game two ? Holmes had 14 passes thrown to him in that game he caught 7 .

Troyisabeast_43
11-20-2009, 07:20 PM
So you people that believe Sweed cost us a win because of a dropped pass against Cincinnati in the first game, will want Holmes benched for costing us a win in game two ? Holmes had 14 passes thrown to him in that game he caught 7 .

It's different with guys like Santanio Holmes and Hines Ward. These guys are veterans and proven commodities and have come through in the clutch more times then not when called upon. Sweed has yet to do either and everytime he has been given a chance to come through or make a big play he ****s up pure and simple. Now it doesnt excuse Holmes for dropping passes or running wrong routes but you know damn well that Tomlin and the coaching staff is going to cut a guy like Holmes a helluva a lot more slack then Sweed. You might not like it but that's just the way it is...

Steel Trap86
11-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Are you really comparing Holmes to Sweed? lol

75Steeler
11-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Not saying that I agree with it but if they are going to allow him to play this is the game to do it in. If he drops just one ball...I don't care if he is just in damn warm-ups he shouldn't be allowed to play again this season.

jpele
11-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Are you really comparing Holmes to Sweed? lol

No I'm not comparing the two. But stats show:

Holmes in 9 games has 7 dropped passes out of 76 balls thrown to him, thats 7 balls in 9 games. One of the drops in Cincinnati could have won the game, maybe, we'll never know

Sweed doesn't have enough catches to be listed, but if i remember correctly in 3 games he's had 5 passes thrown to him 2 catches for 1st down and 3 drops. One of those drops could have won the game, maybe, we'll never know.

So all I'm asking is ,why all the hate over a few dropped balls? Nate Washington turned out ok and he dropped more than his fair share. The difference being with Nate we had no other options, so no matter how he played he stayed in the lineup.

DanRooney
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM
No I'm not comparing the two. But stats show:

Holmes in 9 games has 7 dropped passes out of 76 balls thrown to him, thats 7 balls in 9 games. One of the drops in Cincinnati could have won the game, maybe, we'll never know

Sweed doesn't have enough catches to be listed, but if i remember correctly in 3 games he's had 5 passes thrown to him 2 catches for 1st down and 3 drops. One of those drops could have won the game, maybe, we'll never know.

So all I'm asking is ,why all the hate over a few dropped balls? Nate Washington turned out ok and he dropped more than his fair share. The difference being with Nate we had no other options, so no matter how he played he stayed in the lineup.

Limas Pee'd dropped 3 this season, one of which where he was absolutely wide open by at least 5 yards and it hit him directly in the hands. Not to mention it was a guaranteed TD and he pops up with his hands in the air after the ground dislodges the ball. He's had this same drop on THREE separate occasions, twice in the playoffs. This guy is going to have a lot more than a stellar game against a garbage team for me to ever support him again, so please hold your "I told you so" bullshit until he performs well for a streak of games.

jpele
11-20-2009, 10:13 PM
please hold your "I told you so" bullshit until he performs well for a streak of games.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit,show me the "I told you so" in any of my posts.

I merely want to know ,why the hate for a guy that dropped 3 balls ? Hines missed 3 sure TD's this year, Holmes at the very least 2 and one of those may have cost us a game. no one here including hates Holmes or Ward.

Troyisabeast_43
11-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit,show me the "I told you so" in any of my posts.

I merely want to know ,why the hate for a guy that dropped 3 balls ? Hines missed 3 sure TD's this year, Holmes at the very least 2 and one of those may have cost us a game. no one here including hates Holmes or Ward.

Hines Ward is a future hall of famer and probably one of the greatest receivers in Steelers history and has come through more in the clutch for this Steelers team within the last 10 years more times then either you or I could count. Will cut Hines some slack and let him have a few drops here or there as opposed to Sweed who has accomplished next to nothing in his career thus far...

--- Added 11/20/2009 at 08:30 PM ---

Limas Pee'd dropped 3 this season, one of which where he was absolutely wide open by at least 5 yards and it hit him directly in the hands. Not to mention it was a guaranteed TD and he pops up with his hands in the air after the ground dislodges the ball. He's had this same drop on THREE separate occasions, twice in the playoffs. This guy is going to have a lot more than a stellar game against a garbage team for me to ever support him again, so please hold your "I told you so" bullshit until he performs well for a streak of games.

These drops also go back to last season as well not just this season. What's with the sudden urge to see Sweed in this offense anyway?? Do the Steelers really even need him seeing the way they had been playing offensively the previous 5-6 games before the Bengals game last week.

jpele
11-21-2009, 12:19 AM
What's with the sudden urge to see Sweed in this offense anyway??.

The need to see Sweed comes from the fact Holmes has an attitude and his contract ends this year. More than likely he'll want a bigger pay day than the Steelers are willing to offer. As much as I like Ward , he's not getting younger.

I'm not willing to waste another high draft choice on a WR without giving the one we have an honest chance to prove himself.

The bottom line is , we have a second round pick that need to looked at, there's no "I told you so" he makes it or he don't. give him the chance,one or two passes a game are not a chance. like I said before Washington had way more drops than Sweed, the only difference is now we have Wallace then we had no one so they were stuck with Nate.

You can't throw the ball to someone five times and because he drops three of them call him a bust. If that were the case I think Timmons would be gone , it took him three years to become a starter.

You're reading way to much into this thread, I merely said that Sunday would be a goo time to take a look at Sweed to see if he can get on track. Nothing more nothing less .

I"m not asking that he replace Wallace,Ward or Holmes just throw him a couple balls in a game that on paper should be an easy.

Troyisabeast_43
11-21-2009, 01:15 AM
The need to see Sweed comes from the fact Holmes has an attitude and his contract ends this year. More than likely he'll want a bigger pay day than the Steelers are willing to offer. As much as I like Ward , he's not getting younger.

I'm not willing to waste another high draft choice on a WR without giving the one we have an honest chance to prove himself.

The bottom line is , we have a second round pick that need to looked at, there's no "I told you so" he makes it or he don't. give him the chance,one or two passes a game are not a chance. like I said before Washington had way more drops than Sweed, the only difference is now we have Wallace then we had no one so they were stuck with Nate.

You can't throw the ball to someone five times and because he drops three of them call him a bust. If that were the case I think Timmons would be gone , it took him three years to become a starter.

You're reading way to much into this thread, I merely said that Sunday would be a goo time to take a look at Sweed to see if he can get on track. Nothing more nothing less .

I"m not asking that he replace Wallace,Ward or Holmes just throw him a couple balls in a game that on paper should be an easy.

Holmes isnt going anywhere they will dish out the money to keep him here longterm you can bank on that. And once Hines does hang it up the two starting receivers will be Holmes and Wallace. I have no problem with them putting Sweed in in the KC game if it's a blowout in the 2nd half. But there is no way I use him right now in key 3rd down situations early in the game. The guy is too unreliable and cannot be trusted to make catches. Id play Sweed in the 2nd half it is a blowout but would put him on immediate warning that if you **** up and drop one ball you will not dress at all for the rest of the year period...

JensK
11-21-2009, 07:53 AM
I say start him. He is going to be great if he gets a chance. If we don't use him, some other team will pick him up and he'll start making plays, because he'll get playing time.

I really really think that saying Holmes and Ward dropping passes is okay because they are proven is bull... You either catch the ball or not, its the same for a future HOF and a rookie. A lost TD is a lost TD no matter who you are. As said before in this thread, Holmes and Ward have lost their fair share of catches this season.. Even Miller have had some drops on third downs. We may know they CAN make plays, and they, in all fairness, we know they will, but a lost TD or third down is lost no matter who you are, and because you made a catch in SB last year does not excuse that, however we keep giving them chances - I just don't see why Sweed can't get that. The guy have hardly had the time to prove him self, because he don't see the field.

Even the godly Wallace dropped a couple last week against Bengals, but we are not quite ready to sacrifice him just yet, even though he is a rookie. He ran some terrible routes and cost us a turnover in against Bears, but still everybody loved him, and thats even despite him playing terrible. Sweed make on mistake and everybody hates him - Lets face it, there have not been many Sweed supporters after he lost that ball against Ravens last year, in a game we even won, but when Wallace cause a turnover in a game we loose, its alright... I just don't see the logic, but i guess thats just me.

Don't get me wrong here, i love Wallace as much as the next guy, he is perhaps the biggest steal in the draft, but i like Sweed a lot too, and im telling you that the guy has so much potential it hurts - We just need to play him.

DanRooney
11-21-2009, 08:22 AM

I don't think you understood what I typed. I'm saying if Limas has a good game against the Chiefs, don't get all giddy and start praising him like he's awesome. Chiefs defense is wretched.

TEEMONT
11-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Yeah but how many times are you going to be wrong first? Pertaining to Sweed that is.

K Train
11-21-2009, 01:48 PM
so far im all wrong about sweed, but i also think hes getting shafted especially since we dont "need" him right now.

every big drop breaks my heart.....but its not the end of the world

but if you want me to go bump mendenhall and timmons threads i will, some that ride their dicks into the sunset now were claiming bust after each rookie year

BlackGold4vr
11-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Lots of receivers drop passes. Just this season we have seen Ward, Holmes, and Wallace drop passes in the end zone and on crucial third downs. Difference between them and Sweed is that the others are getting plenty of chances at redemption. I am still a firm believer that when Sweed starts getting regular playing time he will be a playmaker for us. We have seen that he can throw a good block, he has the size to go up and outjump DB's with his size, he has shown he has speed and moves to get open and create separation, he just hasn't made the most of his opportunities to catch the passes thrown his way (and there hasn't been many of those). Cudos to Wallace because he has made the most of his opportunities. Giving up on Sweed would be a huge mistake IMO. :2cents:

K Train
11-21-2009, 02:06 PM
guys like crabtree are getting thrown in from day one and playing pretty well, had a few mental lapses, a few drops but being a contributor. Bowe was a raw talent, hes played most of the snaps for the chiefs since day one. i think if you put sweed in for 40 snaps he would do very well. let him get into a rhythm, let him feel out what the defense is trying to do....dont put him in on 3rd and long and throw him bomb cold off the bench. some guys would do well in that role, sweed obviously needs to get a rhythm going

coldrolled
11-21-2009, 02:11 PM
guys like crabtree are getting thrown in from day one and playing pretty well, had a few mental lapses, a few drops but being a contributor. Bowe was a raw talent, hes played most of the snaps for the chiefs since day one. i think if you put sweed in for 40 snaps he would do very well. let him get into a rhythm, let him feel out what the defense is trying to do....dont put him in on 3rd and long and throw him bomb cold off the bench. some guys would do well in that role, sweed obviously needs to get a rhythm going

Good Point..

jpele
11-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't think you understood what I typed. I'm saying if Limas has a good game against the Chiefs, don't get all giddy and start praising him like he's awesome. Chiefs defense is wretched.

You're right, I misunderstood you. My bad.

Blazedby92
11-21-2009, 02:42 PM
This guy is going to have a lot more than a stellar game against a garbage team for me to ever support him again, so please hold your "I told you so" bullshit until he performs well for a streak of games.

:plus1:
We need to win out so F*** trying to develop a so called soon to be great reciever. Reminds me of another TEXAS reciever cough cough Roy williams. Everybody is saying because he can get open and has speed and size he is going to be great but the main ingredient to his position is HE CAN'T CATCH, thats like saying that QB can really read defense's but if he could only throw the ball. Come on Man.

The " I told you so bullshit is a crap shoot hoping he does get good and they can say I already had my ticket on the bandwagon, maybe next year:lol:
We have a pretty damn good ROOKIE that has it all and that's that, "NUFF SAID"

K Train
11-21-2009, 02:56 PM
maybe next year is fine, receivers used to get 3 years before they were expected to be big contributors. its not sweeds fault we found a first round talent in the 3rd (which we seem to never ever ever do)....wallace is everything the raiders hoped DHB would be. cant fault sweed for that.

what if the steelers **** the bed 2-3 more times, and the season is pretty much a wash? what do they do then? do they put sweed in for extended action?

JensK
11-21-2009, 02:59 PM
No they don't. Steelers are too conservative for that. They'll stick to the gameplan through out the season

Black@Gold Forever32
11-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Last time I checked Limas Sweed is still a Pittsburgh Steeler so I want the guy to be great and all this talk about having no faith in him is really crap......I'm frustrated as well when he drops a pass but you know what I'm far from giving up on the kid and not worried if the coaching staff puts him in the game in key situations....

I think Sweed's speed/size alone would scare defenses more then Heath Miller when the Steelers are split out four wide with Miller serving as the 4th receiver really....Another point that I would like to make is after Ward having a very hot start to the season the last three games Ward has 12 catches for 71 yards........I think that is a telling sign....Sure Ward is still productive but he could be starting to show signs of slowing down.....

So before the play-offs start I wouldn't mind seeing if Sweed is ready to be a productive player that can contribute to the team.......So giving a chance now really would be wise......

DanRooney
11-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Isn't Limas getting quality reps anyways? Seems to me we've been going 4 wide and empty backfield quite often lately, but he just hasn't been thrown to. Personally I'd like to see that Moore/Mendenhall combination out there rather than Limas taking up a spot on the field.

K Train
11-21-2009, 05:41 PM
hes a very good and willing blocker, that is helping him see the field some recently

Blazedby92
11-21-2009, 06:11 PM
:plus1:
We need to win out so F*** trying to develop a so called soon to be great reciever. Reminds me of another TEXAS reciever cough cough Roy williams. Everybody is saying because he can get open and has speed and size he is going to be great but the main ingredient to his position is HE CAN'T CATCH, thats like saying that QB can really read defense's but if he could only throw the ball. Come on Man.

The " I told you so bullshit is a crap shoot hoping he does get good and they can say I already had my ticket on the bandwagon, maybe next year:lol:
We have a pretty damn good ROOKIE that has it all and that's that, "NUFF SAID"

I'm sticking with my last comment. No time to experiment again. Great if he gets a chance and does well but the hell with it. Next year

LatrobePA
11-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Sweed will be a star in this league....Wallace just beat him to it this year!

Mike Tomlin
11-21-2009, 11:37 PM
I think we should use Sweed in the redzone mostly goalline situations. You know throw him a few fades or jumpballs and let him do what came natural to him in college. I'm sure that would be a confidence booster and maybe slow the game down for him.

LatrobePA
11-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I think we should use Sweed in the redzone mostly goalline situations. You know throw him a few fades or jumpballs and let him do what came natural to him in college. I'm sure that would be a confidence booster and maybe slow the game down for him.

Instead of Heath?

K Train
11-22-2009, 02:44 AM
heath doesnt run fades....why not throw sweed in there as an option for a jump ball

Steel Trap86
11-22-2009, 08:21 AM
heath doesnt run fades....why not throw sweed in there as an option for a jump ball

You know what, that's not a bad idea bro

LatrobePA
11-22-2009, 12:05 PM

Very true, you should go down and apply for the OC job! lol