PDA

View Full Version : Steeler fan blinded?

jackhammer1
11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Has anyone else heard about the Steeler fan that was blinded after drinking with Bears fans in Chicago? I'm trying to find out the details and haven't heard much about it

Captcoolhand
11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Zack Heddinger Is Now Blind, Brain Damaged

A Pittsburgh Steelers fan says he was left nearly blind and brain damaged after being poisoned, and he blames some Bears fans he met in Chicago.

Pittsburgh had lost to Chicago in the September 20 game and Zack Heddinger and his friends got into a heated argument with several Bears fans at Chicago bar Kitty O'Shea, reports CBS station WBBM-TV in Chicago.

But afterward, Heddinger says a Bears fan suggested a truce and offered to buy him a drink. Heddinger says he drank the beverage, accepting it as a goodwill offering.

A short time later at his hotel, Heddinger began to feel ill and had to be rushed to the hospital. Doctors at Rush University Medical Center suspected his drink was spiked with something toxic.

Heddinger's sister Linda Heddinger told the Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/11/steelers-fan-says-he-was-poisoned-left-blind-in-chicago-bar.html) that another sister got a call at about 2:30 a.m. from the hospital stating that their brother's heart had stopped and he wasn't expected to survive.

Heddinger says the incident left him nearly blind, and suffering from brain damage.

Unlike ethanol, or grain alcohol, which we consume in beverages, methanol, or wood alcohol, is highly poisonous. As little as 10 mL will cause blindness, and 100 mL can be fatal.

It is not clear whether Heddinger ingested wood alcohol. A Chicago Sun-Times report quoted him as saying he suspected it was "antifreeze or something."

Heddinger's family has hired a lawyer but, says they're waiting for the police to conclude an investigation.
LINK (http://cbs4.com/sports/steelers.fan.poisoned.2.1322239.html)...

jackhammer1
11-19-2009, 05:40 PM
WOW Thanks for that link. Why is this not a bigger story?

jpele
11-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Yea, I saw it on the local news, pretty sad. I hope they catch the lowlife that spiked his drink.

lloydfan4life
11-19-2009, 07:24 PM
That's horrible. This is the first I heard about this.
I hope they are able to find the punks who did this and they are sentenced for attempted murder.
I would expect something like this from Eagles fans.... but never would've guessed it would happen from Bears fans.
:wtf: is wrong with people???

Sir Blitzelot
11-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Such a tragic story... :evilshake: I hope they find the creeps that did it.

Big T
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Saw this on profootballtalk yesterday...it's ridiculous how far people will go over a game.

MOTORKRAFT
11-19-2009, 11:50 PM
That's horrible. This is the first I heard about this.
I hope they are able to find the punks who did this and they are sentenced for attempted murder.
I would expect something like this from Eagles fans.... but never would've guessed it would happen from Bears fans.
:wtf: is wrong with people???

Really, you would expect this from Eagle fans....but never would have guessed it from Bears fans ? What is the difference ? Stupid people, do stupid things. Stupid people need to learn, you get what you give. You poison someone and you get poisoned. You rape someone and you get raped. You kill someone and you get killed. You disrespect someone and you get disrespected, and it goes on and on. This story makes me sick. Simple as that. In the end they will find the person/people who did this and they will face legal action, in the end I want to watch them drink the drink that they gave. In closing, I will say this, let the punishiment fit the crime. I could be wrong, but a murderer living on death role, eating and breathing everyday is a waste of space.

LatrobePA
11-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Rooster suckers!

igor0190
11-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I was at the Bears game... I got threatened by some guys sitting behind me. Told me if I waived that towel again that I would never see it again. Also threatened to do a couple other things to me. I just kept waiving my towel, just at a further distance from them. Also saw a female Steelers fan at the end of the game with a bloody lip from getting punched.

What is wrong with these people. I know it happens in every stadium, and fans are passionate but that is not the way to show support for your team. Security is very weak at NFL games as well.

MOTORKRAFT
11-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I was at the Bears game... I got threatened by some guys sitting behind me. Told me if I waived that towel again that I would never see it again. Also threatened to do a couple other things to me. I just kept waiving my towel, just at a further distance from them. Also saw a female Steelers fan at the end of the game with a bloody lip from getting punched.

What is wrong with these people. I know it happens in every stadium, and fans are passionate but that is not the way to show support for your team. Security is very weak at NFL games as well.

Society is fu@#ed up. Security at a N.F.L. game is O.K. It's not their job to make us people or adults.

lloydfan4life
11-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Society is fu@#ed up. Security at a N.F.L. game is O.K. It's not their job to make us people or adults.

:iagree:

The comment about Eagles fans was because of their reputation and my own experience knowing some idiot Eagle fans. I mean.. how many other stadiums had a courtroom and judge installed in their stadium because of rowdy/stupid fans? :dunno:

jackhammer1
11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
This is a good wake up call to Steeler Nation because so many fans travel to road games, and also for Steeler fans in those cities. Maybe it's jealousy, who knows, look at all the idiots that think it's cool now to stomp the Terrible Towel. When you drink in enemy bars, NO SHOTS, and maybe just stick to bottled beer. Either way, watch your back!

TampaSteelGirl
11-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Wow!! Unbelieveable! But my question is who carries toxic chemicals or poison things on them? I mean where would you just pick that up at a bar somewhere to put in someone's drink? Very scarey! This is why I never accept a drink from any one other than the bartender in front of me! Hope he's going to be ok.

jackhammer1
11-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Sounds like maybe it was anti-freeze or something. These are the same idiots that feed that to dogs to kill them. Sick a-holes

igor0190
11-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Security at a N.F.L. game is O.K. It's not their job to make us people or adults.

Some people clearly do not act like adults should and for those we should have security. When a fight breaks out in the crowd and security doesn't at least show their presence something is wrong. I've seen this happen more than once.

Ironman
11-21-2009, 01:59 AM
I am ashamed off this story... as a Steelers and Bears fan, I am simply embarrassed. I have noticed that the Bears fans of late are seemingly nothing but drunken *******. I had encountered an incident where a highly intoxicated Bears fan once (very enthusiastically) suggested that everyone in the bathroom **** on the 10 year old Packers fan supporting his team by wearing a Packers jacket. Only thing that stopped him/several others was the security in the bathroom. Another 'Bears fan' started arguing and taunting another 'Bears fan' because he wasn't 'Bears fan enough'-- basically, disagreement of opinion. The accusing Bears fan attempted to fight the other fan, but fell on his *** in the process.

I love the Bears and the Bears have a proud and prestigious franchise, but this is disgusting....

I have never heard of any complaints from anyone other fans in regards to Steelers fans, well, besides the fact that we wave our terrible towels in glory as we overrun the opposing teams' stadium.

Captcoolhand
11-21-2009, 06:00 AM
A local woman says an out-of-control Steelers fan assaulted her and her husband. This was during the first time the teams met this season, September 27th at Paul Brown Stadium.

She told Local 12 Troubleshooter Howard Ain she really didn't know what to do. Karisa Cleveland of Greendale, Indiana, says she now knows what to do if she encounters an unruly fan. But, she didn't know when she attended that Steelers game. She says things were getting out of hand. "She was a Steelers fan and what we could see she had been tailgating. It was a 4:15 game and she had been tailgating and then she sat there and had quite a few more alcoholic beverages."

Cleveland says as the game progressed things got worse. "She was pouring beer on my husband. She stood up, fell over the bar into my husband and she hit him with her purse."

At that point, right before the end of the game, someone went to look for ushers and she asked the woman to behave. "The ushers were going to take her out of the game and as I sit down I was getting ready to cheer that's when we had made the last touchdown and all at once she leaned over the seat and palm handed me onto the right hand side of my face."

At that point security did remove the woman -- who was arrested for disorderly conduct but not for assaulting Cleveland. "I would just like to see better security up there and I would have just like to have seen more cooperation with me."

So Howard contacted Bengals operations director Bob Bedinghaus who immediately called Cleveland to apologize for what occurred. "It's hard for us to respond on the spot as every instance happens. What we try to do best is in those limited number of cases respond after the fact to do what we can to help that person out."

He says if fans get unruly, contact the ushers. You can also call or text 381-jerk and ask for security assistance. "I think we did a pretty good job. Would I hope that we have no situations like this? Absolutely. But the reality is when you invite 65,000 people into one building you're going to have a problem here and there."

Cleveland has now been given a copy of the arrest ticket, the woman pled guilty. Cleveland is considering filing assault charges. In the meantime, the Bengals are helping with Cleveland's claim for medical bills as a result of the injuries she suffered.

Bedinghaus says while there are fewer problems here in Cincinnati than in many other stadiums, they do eject dozens of people from each game for alcohol abuse and even smoking. They average three to five arrests each game with their 600 security and 100 uniformed police officers. Bottom line, if you're at a game and need help, call or text 381-JERK right away.LINK (http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Local-Woman-Assaulted-at-Bengals-Steelers-Game/Uo4Dwbla00GZPYJ5gRugZQ.cspx)

I know this happens everywhere but to hear about one of our fans going into another stadium and assaulting a fan is just sad.

I guess this is probably the reason I would never go into another staduim to watch a Steelers game unless I was dressed down. **** cost too much money just to have to spend several hours watching my back protecting myself or my family....:evilshake: What enjoyment is to that....:dunno:

I never noticed, but does the NFL post signs? http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1514/signx.gif (http://img337.imageshack.us/i/signx.gif/)

igor0190
11-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Most people don't want to get involved when these things happen. Which I understand especially if you're not around to see how it started. We can only hope there are enough adults who ARE willing to say something even if it is defending the other teams fans.

These kind of people need to be banned from stadiums, one by one.

J.OTSTOTT
11-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Point is people just hate us, and they have EVERY reason to! Look at us and what we have done. As for the guy who got drugged or whatever....that just is not a human act at all.