PDA

View Full Version : The fans aren't the only ones that have noticed, James Walker article

Blazedby92
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
James Walker covers the AFCN for ESPN. These are his takes on falling stock.

By James Walker
» NFC Stock Watch: East | West | North | South » AFC: East | West | North | South

Falling

Quinn

1. Brady Quinn, Browns quarterback: Quinn’s second chance to be a starter for the Browns looked much like his first three games of the season. In fact, Monday night’s performance in a 16-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in front of a national television audience may have been the worst of his career.

The third-year quarterback was 13-of-31 for 99 yards and an abysmal 23.5 passer rating. He was sacked four times and was 0-of-7 on passing attempts beyond 10 yards. Perhaps the only good news is Quinn has seven more games to improve his stock with the Browns or potentially another team in the offseason.

Daboll

2. Brian Daboll, Browns offensive coordinator: Cleveland has the worst offense in the NFL, and it’s happening on the watch of a first-year offensive coordinator. Yes, Daboll doesn’t have much to work with this year. But he leaves much to be desired in terms of play calling.

No matter who is under center, the predictable runs and short passes just aren’t working. Cleveland, coming off a bye, had two weeks to come up with something new and exciting and produced only 160 total yards of offense against Baltimore.

The Browns haven’t scored a touchdown in six of their nine games this year.

Arians

3. Bruce Arians, Steelers offensive coordinator: Since we’re picking on offensive coordinators this week, we might as well do the same with Pittsburgh's. Arians was pass-happy Sunday in the Steelers' 18-12 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

The game was close down to the final play, but Arians coached the offense as though the Steelers were down by 20 points. His pass-to-run ratio was 40 to 18, despite Pittsburgh averaging 4.4 yards per carry.

Tailback Rashard Mendenhall entered the game with the hot hand and only received 13 attempts. It was a smashmouth, AFC North game. But Arians was intent on airing out the football with nearly every opportunity and that was the wrong decision.

I know a lot on here including me would agree with this assesment. I couldn't believe we didn't use Rush Hard more than we did.

jpele
11-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Well seeing as how Kansas City is 27th against the run,I expect to see Pittsburgh to pass at least 80% of the time.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2009, 01:02 PM
If there's one thing we've all learned over these years since Bruce was named the OC; it's to basically expect him to do the complete opposite of what you think will work on any given week. If the team is vulnerable to the pass, then I expect us to run it 30 times; and if the team can't stop the run then look for Ben to throw it 60 times.

It is what it is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

LatrobePA
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Well seeing as how Kansas City is 27th against the run,I expect to see Pittsburgh to pass at least 80% of the time.

You got it right.

This guy f'n makes me sick!

75Steeler
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking Tomlin has had a long talk with BA since Sunday. At least I hope he has. I don't think KC is a good enough team to stop the Steelers either way or to evaluate any big decisions the Steelers have made this week. I think the Ravens will show what the Steelers are made of and give us a good look at what things will be the remainder of this season.

LatrobePA
11-19-2009, 01:35 PM
KC will not be a cake walk! Haley wants this as pay back to the SB loss!

franchise3
11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking Tomlin has had a long talk with BA since Sunday. At least I hope he has. I don't think KC is a good enough team to stop the Steelers either way or to evaluate any big decisions the Steelers have made this week. I think the Ravens will show what the Steelers are made of and give us a good look at what things will be the remainder of this season.

And then what's going to happen when we blow Chiefs out of the water? Praise BA. Guy is a lost cause but easy schedule will keep on our staff and could hurt are chances in the playoffs.

I agree with you, Ravens will be a good test. My guess is the only way we will put any points on the board there is with no huddle.

Big T
11-19-2009, 02:04 PM
We havent had a good blowout in almost a year...week 17 last year against Cleveland was probably the last blowout. Can we please play like we are capable of? I'll say it right now, if Mendenhall gets 20+ carries and actaully gets a carry or two inside the 10, he will have MONSTER game. Even michael Bush put up 119 on 14 carries...I don't see why Mendenhall won't go 150+...oh wait, yes I do....Bruce Arians. So don't expect Mendy to get a carry on first and goal on the five...or second and goal...or thrd and goal....I'm still disgusted.

coldrolled
11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
We havent had a good blowout in almost a year...week 17 last year against Cleveland was probably the last blowout. Can we please play like we are capable of? I'll say it right now, if Mendenhall gets 20+ carries and actaully gets a carry or two inside the 10, he will have MONSTER game. Even michael Bush put up 119 on 14 carries...I don't see why Mendenhall won't go 150+...oh wait, yes I do....Bruce Arians. So don't expect Mendy to get a carry on first and goal on the five...or second and goal...or thrd and goal....I'm still disgusted.

I have been waiting for BA to get canned after last years Browns game 10-6

then i thought Monday morning he would be gone after the Eagles game... nope.

then we beat SD 11-10 last year. That saved his butt again...

one year later we repeat the eagles game strategy with the bungles and monday morning Arnold Harrison is gone.

good luck to him working out with the browns.

and never a news article about BA in the times, gazette etc...

Troyisabeast_43
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
KC will not be a cake walk! Haley wants this as pay back to the SB loss!

Haley wanting payback for the Super Bowl will not be enough for Kansas City to win this game. The bottom line is the Chiefs suck and other then the Browns,Rams,or Lions they are probably the 4th or 5th worst team in the league. It would take an absolute debacle of an implosion by the Steelers to lose to this Chiefs team...

franchise3
11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Check the quote from Reed “That was about a 50-yard sprint for me, and my job is to make him cut back inside and he went inside of me,” Reed said. “I just look at those people (who were critical) like they don’t know what they’re talking about.”

You are not supposed to cut 10 feet in front of him so it slows him down only 0.00001 seconds.

--- Added 11/19/2009 at 03:42 PM ---

The most concerning thing to me is that I don't think BA's job is in danger. I hope I'm wrong, please tell me I am because this scares the s*** out of me....