PDA

View Full Version : Put Harrison, Keisel on Special Teams

Big T
11-17-2009, 11:53 AM
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 17, 2009

As a concession to potential injury and their status on the team, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin relieved Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison and starting defensive end Brett Keisel of important special teams responsibilities.

It's time for Tomlin to stop being Mr. Nice Guy and return Harrison and Keisel to the trenches with the other special teams grunts.

It was 2007 all over again for the Steelers during Sunday's special teams meltdown in a critical 18-12 loss to Cincinnati at Heinz Field.

Only this time it wasn't Cleveland's Joshua Cribbs returning kickoffs for 100 and 90 yards in the same game, or Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew's backbreaking kickoff return in the AFC Wild Card playoff game.

Pin this loss on the special teams for allowing another kickoff return for a touchdown, the third kickoff returned for a score against the Steelers in four games.

If Tomlin truly believes special teams are just as important as his offense and defense, he'll shake up the lineup before Sunday's game at Kansas City.

″It's something we've worked on, something that obviously we're aware of and it just seems to keep happening,'' Keisel said. ″I'm sure coach Tomlin is going to address it and I'm sure some moves are going to be made. Who knows? I might be at (my old position) again.''

Rest of article: http://m.triblive.com/triblive/db_36767/contentdetail.htm contentguid=6lOvyvMR&src=cat (http://m.triblive.com/triblive/db_36767/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=6lOvyvMR&src=cat)

Please Mike? I'm begging you!

Zachintosh66
11-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Im not so sure about Keisel. Were already short on the DL, what do we do if he goes down?

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I really don't think either of of them should be doing it... had a chance to get Madison back and should have, he could have replaced Ratcliff or Logan. Logan is becoming pretty expensive to keep around for just a ST player ,hell he ain't even doing all the catching on ST anymore....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Sometimes you have to play starters on special teams, Cowher did it for many years. Having said that, you don't want your star players out there covering kicks unless you absolutely have too. Is the situation dire enough to start putting guys like harrison on ST, perhaps so, but I don't think he'll start doing it just yet...just my :2cents:

K Train
11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
harrison needs to do it, hes the best tackler on the team (in the league)...hes always done it before

BlitzburghRockCity
11-18-2009, 09:21 AM
I would think with the way our injury situation is not having Polamalu every week, losing Smith for the year, that Tomlin is going to be very cautious about sticking too many starters out there.

LatrobePA
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Need to do something, losing game(s) because of it!

jpele
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Not to knock anyone, everyone keeps wanting Anthony Madison back. There's a reason he was cut and he's now on his third team. He's with the Colts now and when they cut him I don't want Pittsburgh to pick him up.

LatrobePA
11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Not to knock anyone, everyone keeps wanting Anthony Madison back. There's a reason he was cut and he's now on his third team. He's with the Colts now and when they cut him I don't want Pittsburgh to pick him up.

Did anyone see him get abused like 5 times in one play last week against New England?? He got rolled up like a fool! Was funny!!

weidnerr
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think Sweed or Logan have made a tackle on special teams yet. Logan usually blows by on the outside and I haven't seen Sweed anywhere near the ball carrier. Harrison would be good to blow up the middle...

DanRooney
11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
:banana:
Did anyone see him get abused like 5 times in one play last week against New England?? He got rolled up like a fool! Was funny!!

I'd rather see him take on 3 blockers doing that then what Jeff Reed did :eek1:

spyboots
11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
We are now paying the price for letting go of Anthony Madison. Didn't he lead in ST tackles last year?

Silverback
11-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Logan has at least one tackle, I can specifically remember one against Sproles, battle of the 5'6"'s.