PDA

View Full Version : M.I.A - The No-Huddle

Iron City South
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Missing in Action: The No Huddle

So where in the eff was it? Can someone explain why BA wouldn't give Ben the authority to run the no-huddle knowing full well it has proven to be our most productive and effective tactic on offense?

The offense was struggling all day, it's the OC's job to change things up, and if he won't do it then it's the head coaches job to intervene
1.) Hey Bruce, where the eff was the no-huddle pal?

2.) We ran the ball 16 eff'in times, 16 EFF'IN TIMES!! and we were never down by more than 6 points. Mendy was averaging 5 ypc, until his last carry in the first half where he lost 4 or 5 yards in the redzone.

3.) Does Arians or Tomlin seriously think it's such a good idea to drive down the field in the spread offense, then as soon as we get in the redzone we go 3 TE's and try to pound the ball, we did that twice yesterday and we did in the first meeting. When we go 3TE's it fools nobody, we run out that formation 90% of the time.

4.) We opened the game with a couple of quick WR screens to move the chains, never saw those again! Absoltuely No RB screens, and there's nothing worse in 3rd and 1 and 2 situations when we go empty backfield and split the RB out wide. We're basically telling them, "Hey, we're passing here!!" The element of surprise is lost. Guess what Bruce Arian's, with the pressure the Bengals were bringing we aren't going to throw to the RB split out wide you effin idiot!! :evilshake:

It would've been a hell of a lot more productive to have the RB staying home in the kitchen to help Ben out with the pass rush.

Can somebody tell me if we went "No huddle" at all in the final 2 minutes of the game?

TampaSteelGirl
11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Agree 100% here! :yellowthumb:

I just can't understand how we can be so inconsistent!! Why are we not going with what works!?!? Unbelievable! Completely abandoning our running game, cripes even Willie Parker got yardage the play I saw! Just unbelieveable! HOw can you go no huddle and an awesome running game and beat a team like the Broncos one night and the next you're fighting for 1st place in our divsions and allow us to play like the Browns??? :wtf:

This was an embarrasing loss :imho:

DIESELMAN
11-16-2009, 01:57 PM
As stubborn, thick headed and arrogant as BA is on sticking with plays that don't work. He doesn't have the same mentality with the plays that do work. I'm not blaming BA entirely for this loss, execution of the plays by the players is at fault blah blah blah..... When we are in the no huddle, Ben (not BA) gets the entire offense in a rhythm. BA couldn't get the offense in a rhythm to save his job (hopefully it will come to that). BA doesn't have a sense of the game, to me he gets lucky with some of his play calling and slowly but surely his luck and the Steelers luck is running out. No imagination and very predictable is BA's game planning. I'm pretty sure his favorite color is 'clear'.

Danger DANJ
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
My Uncles and I were calling for the no huddle the whole second half. I don't understand how they didn't use it. I've never really had any serious hatred for Ariens because I figured we might not get anyone better if we got rid of him, but now I'm on the fire Ariens band wagon. That was absolutely horrible!! Also, they should have ran the ball a lot more. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I blame Tomlin as well for letting Ariens be so stubborn. I don't think I've ever wanted to slap someone during a football game as much as I wanted to slap Ariens.

Zachintosh66
11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Missing in Action: The No Huddle
It would've been a hell of a lot more productive to have the RB staying home in the kitchen to help Ben out with the pass rush.

I was screaming this at the TV...

What is the point of 5 Wide if you have no protection? AND... if your in 5 Wide shouldnt one or two of the routes be short in case he has to dump it off quickly?

Where has the quick slant to holmes been? That was always money for at least 5-7 yds if not more. We have been running that play for 2-3 years and ive seen the Defense read it once ever.

SteelCityKid5
11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Yesterday (as always) I listened to Tunch, Hillgrove and Wolf. I can remember Tunch saying "Steelers going no huddle." at least four times. I dont know if more no huddle would have worked. Ben was having a bad game. Alright, NFL quarterbacks have those days. Solution? Run the ball. Yeah Cincy has the no.2 run defense, but to only run it 16 times? We all know by now BA is a pass happy coordinator. I still say we need balance in case of games like Ben had yesterday. We were balanced vs. the Broncos and it worked very well. Yes that's a different defense but at least we ran it more than 16 times. Also, FWP... I love yah, it's been fun but I just don't want you in there any more. They should utilize Moore ...more. He always has a knack for getting yards or extra yards. Another thing, I wasn't please with these hail mary passes on first down. Ben is an accurate short to middle yard passer. His weak spot is throwing deep. That to me just doesn't make a lot of sense. BA is a big time home run hitter and that's a problem. Yeah it's good to throw deep to stretch the defense and let them know you're not afraid of going deep but we did that a little to much yesterday especially on 1 & 10. I'm no NFL coach by any means but, I'd just like more balance and I'm afraid I probably wont get that. Yes, it's one loss. I am not worried. I am just frusterated with BA's schemes when they work and when we have days like yesterday. It could have been just one bad day but, I miss the physical, smash mouth days of yesteryear.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I just read an article in the Steelers Digest where they were interviewing BA and he mentioned how good the no huddle has been, how effective it is, and why it's a staple in their offensive scheme. So then we go into a game where we clearly are struggling and not in sync, and you fail to go to it.

Yeah that sounds about par for the course :evilshake:

LatrobePA
11-16-2009, 03:54 PM
BA = DH

TampaSteelGirl
11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
This is the first game I can say that Tomlin should have taken the reigns and told BA to sit down and eat a sandwich....He's watching his team being run into the ground...OMG how frustrating when we know we have so many weapons!! We were so one dimentional yesterday....just unacceptable and it STILL stings today. :evilshake:

SteelCityKid5
11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
^^ I don't think Tomlin would ever do that. Even though I dont like BA, Tomlin shouldnt do that. Plus, Tomlin's a defensive oriented coach anyway.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Yesterday there was definitely something missing across the board on this team. The feel and emotion the Steelers had against the broncos was not evident. In Denver they played like happy kids who were definitely n joy n themselves. Maybe the team knew Troy was gone as well as other things unknown to the nation. Oh well, the season rolls on. Best of luck Steelers.

steel-tex
11-17-2009, 12:58 AM
PREDICTABLE - ROBOTIC - NO IMAGINATION - LETS DO IT OVER AND OVER EVEN THOUGH IT HASN'T WORKED ALL DAY !!!!!!! (THEY CALL ME BRUCE ) PLAY CALLS

75Steeler
11-17-2009, 01:18 PM
We were thinking that they would be using the no huddle in the second half as well. It was one of many things we were screaming at the TV during that second half. It has worked well for us in earlier games WTF?

LatrobePA
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I scared my TV, dogs, kids, wife, neighbors, myself yelling at the TV Sunday....I almost passed out doing so, one of the worse called offensive games in a long time!!