PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Willie get it going on the road?

AZ_Steeler
11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Don't take me wrong with this post, I like Willie just as much as the next guy... but what is the deal with Willie rushing the ball on the road?

Road Game Yardage

@ Jacksonville - 11 carries 20 yards
@ San Diego - 14 carries 57 yards
@ Atlanta - 20 carries 47 yards
@ Oakland - 22 carries 83 yards
@ Cleveland - 16 carries 46 yards

What does this all come down to... 50.6 yards per game on the road and a team record of 1-5 with their first road win today!!!

Home Game Yardage

Miami - 29 carries 115 yards
Bengals - 31 carries 133 yards
Kansas City - 21 carries 109 yards
Denver - 14 carries 70 yards
New Orleans - 22 carries 213 yards

These numbers equate to 128 yards per game and a record of 3-2.

What this all comes down to is if the Steelers have to take to the road again the outlook doesn't look good because the Steeler can't get the running game going! The thing I don't understand though is how can a running back be so awesome at home, but when he gets on the road he is just another running back at best???? Willie has had 4 100+ yard games this year and 0 of those have come on the road!

You can almost say that if Willie goes over a 100 yards the team is undefeated because the Bengals game was really over until others on the team started fumbling the ball over in Steelers territory... like Ricardo and Haynes!!! Instead though, when Willie is over 100 yards the Steelers are 3-1. What is the problem though... why can't he get 100 yards on the road??? Especially against 2 teams that give up 140+ yards on the ground (Oakland & the Browns)!

:dunno:

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-19-2006, 09:25 PM
It didn't seem like we were very committed to the run today,IMHO.

House of Steel
11-19-2006, 09:32 PM
we threw more than anything else, but we won the game with Ben's rocket accurate arm.

K Train
11-19-2006, 09:47 PM
The browns have a decent run defense, as does every other team we played on the road.

Koopa
11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
because he isn't an every down back and last week wore him out, he needs to get more consistent if he ever wants to be considered a good running back, all he is right now is aight

Steelersfan
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I think we all got use to seeing Bettis running the ball. Didn't matter where we played for the most part he always got his 4-5-6 yds a carry with the occasional one he would break for 20-30...lol With Bettis we could control the game and keep our D fresh. We don't have that now with Parker. This is not a knock on Willie at all and I'm not trying to compare him to Bettis. I think you will find people like myself who don't consider him to be an every down back feel that way because of the type of back he is more than anything else. I really think if we had a good big back and used Willie as our 3rd down and/or long yardage back our offense would be killer and it would save our D. That's just my opinion and that is what Steelers football has been about since Cowher took over. Foster, Morris, Bettis.....all big backs who ran well for us. Everytime we have tried going with speed (Z and Parker) our record and D has sucked. That should tell you something about the way this team is built.

Koopa
11-19-2006, 10:10 PM
what i think we need to do is, fire cowher, and let ken run the show cause he knows how to use willie, willie is perfect for what we are turning into, but cowher is still stuck in the past and wants to fail like he did the past, if ken would just be able to take over we'd see what we saw in the playoffs on a regular basis

Steelersfan
11-19-2006, 10:11 PM
But what our offense is turning into isn't the type of game our D was designed to play. So we will have to redo the D to fit the offense.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-19-2006, 10:24 PM
2005 Time of Possession

Steelers-31:16
Opponents-28:44

2006 Before the Browns game
Steelers-30:46
Opponents-29:14

Not trying to start an arugement but the T.O.P. isn't that much different from last year. The defense just like the whole team just hasn't got it done on a consistent basis this year.

I'm fine with Willie Parker as the starting RB. I think his 12 total TD's prove he is a player in this league. I think thats good for 3rd in the NFL. I don't remember Amos Zereoue ever scoring 12 TD's in his whole Steelers career let alone 10 games in a season.

BBC
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Those numbers aren't Willie's fault as much as they are Ben's fault. In all but 1 of those road games, the Steelers had to play from behind nearly the entire game. Ben throws an interception or two, and the Steelers have to pass from then on out because they are behind.

Running teams don't win, winning teams run. When you aren't winning, your running game looks weaker than it really is, just as when you are winning, your running game looks stronger than it really is.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Those numbers aren't Willie's fault as much as they are Ben's fault. In all but 1 of those road games, the Steelers had to play from behind nearly the entire game. Ben throws an interception or two, and the Steelers have to pass from then on out because they are behind.

Running teams don't win, winning teams run. When you aren't winning, your running game looks weaker than it really is, just as when you are winning, your running game looks stronger than it really is.

Very good post BBC and I agree with alot you said in this post.

Steelersfan
11-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Sorry BBC and 32. What I meant by controlling the game and keeping the D fresh is more of the smash mouth attitude more so than the numbers. We use to have an attitude when we ran the ball and that carried over to the whole team. Bad choice of words on my part, sorry about that.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Sorry BBC and 32. What I meant by controlling the game and keeping the D fresh is more of the smash mouth attitude more so than the numbers. We use to have an attitude when we ran the ball and that carried over to the whole team. Bad choice of words on my part, sorry about that.

I would agree with the attitude part. The Oline even said last year that they were more pumped up when Jerome was in the game. But I think the Oline and the defense has to know by now that old 36 isn't coming out of retirement and the changing of the guard is at hand for the Steelers run game. So the team needs to adjust. Trust me I still think the Steelers need to get a power RB to spell Willie at times. I'm not a fan of Dookie. I think he is alright but the Steelers can do better.

All I know one of the knocks on Willie before this year was his goal line running. Willie has 9 rushing TD's this year. So he has improved in that area. Now he will never wear down the defense like a power back. But I do think he will continue to improve in the short situations. He did get stuffed on that 3rd and 1 today but hey Rome wasn't built in day. So I just think Willie will continue to improve. But your right about the smash mouth attitude.

Steelersfan
11-19-2006, 10:56 PM
I just think Willie is to small of a back to be a good short yardage guy all of the time. He runs strong for his size but that don't cut it when you hit the hole against a LB with 50lbs on you. If they want to keep using him in those situations why don't they spread it out? Bring in 3-4 WR's and stretch the D. Then if they give it to Willie he can use his speed instead of trying to take on bigger guys all the time. We saw how the hurry up worked today. Willie fits in to that scheme perfectly.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-19-2006, 11:04 PM
I just think Willie is to small of a back to be a good short yardage guy all of the time. He runs strong for his size but that don't cut it when you hit the hole against a LB with 50lbs on you. If they want to keep using him in those situations why don't they spread it out? Bring in 3-4 WR's and stretch the D. Then if they give it to Willie he can use his speed instead of trying to take on bigger guys all the time. We saw how the hurry up worked today. Willie fits in to that scheme perfectly.

I agree with spreading the field totally. That would fit Willie's style perfect. I also agree the Steelers need to run more hurry up offense. I really think Ben runs the hurry up (no huddle) offense well. I know what you are saying about Willie Parker being a good short yardage RB all of the time. I just think Willie has improved and will do so in the future. True his size hurts him but he makes up for that with his heart. But size isn't everything. If so then Ron Dayne would be great in the NFL. I will agree the Steelers do need to spell Willie more. But he is such a threat of taking it to the house on any given play. That the more times he is on the field then the more chances he has to take it to the house.

AZ_Steeler
11-20-2006, 12:18 AM
The browns have a decent run defense, as does every other team we played on the road.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but the Browns run D was ranked 30th going into this game giving up 143 ypg. Oakland... is right there with the Browns. These are teams the Steelers should have had for breakfast!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Willie has come so far. Just last year you wouldnt see him running between the tackles at all, he'd also try and bounce it outside and that was a concern for me with him being our steady RB. However this year he's learning so much and being patient with the blockers, that he's only going to get better and better. Willie may be on the small side in terms of his weight but the guy has a bright future for us indeed and if he keeps on improving like he has to date he's going to be absolutely amazing !

Black@Gold Forever32
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Willie has come so far. Just last year you wouldnt see him running between the tackles at all, he'd also try and bounce it outside and that was a concern for me with him being our steady RB. However this year he's learning so much and being patient with the blockers, that he's only going to get better and better. Willie may be on the small side in terms of his weight but the guy has a bright future for us indeed and if he keeps on improving like he has to date he's going to be absolutely amazing !

Great post and I agree brother. Preach on preach on. I'm putting a nickel in the collection plate.

SteelersWoman
11-20-2006, 02:49 AM
You're right AZ--I read that yesterday. A 30th ranked D against our D (I believe we're ranked 11th). They SHOULD've been easy pickins. Last year they woulda been.

While once again I'm THRILLED that we got a back to back win, I'm still quite concerned with the level of play in a couple of areas.

And why (since we do so much better at it) don't they go no huddle for the whole game?