PDA

View Full Version : Current Steelers HoF potential players

TEEMONT
11-05-2009, 09:11 AM
It kinda came up in the Hines Ward "Dirtiest player" thread, so I was kind of curious to see what everyone else thought.

Do we have any players on the current roster (or from the 1st SB that retired or moved on) that is a lock for the HoF?

IMO there are 3 at this point that are locks:

The Bus
Hines
Troy

I know most of you will say Ben is a lock, but I still think he needs to have a few more big passing seasons to get in. If he continues his current pace for 4-5 more years...he's a lock.
Outside chances:

Faneca
Hampton
Farrior (very very outside)
Ben (but like I said...he continues on this pace and stops ****ing ugly women, he's a lock)

That's really all I can think of for now.

steelerfan11
11-05-2009, 09:24 AM
What about Aaron Smith. I know he doesn't get the respect he needs from fans but you would think he would from people that know the game better than the average fan.

He is obviously a big piece in the Steelers defense.

Callax
11-05-2009, 10:12 AM
What about Aaron Smith. I know he doesn't get the respect he needs from fans but you would think he would from people that know the game better than the average fan.

He is obviously a big piece in the Steelers defense.

As much as he is important to the team, he does not get the tackles, sacks, fumbles needed to be considered for the HOF. I like him and would hope to see him in the HOF, but that won't happen. He's good, not great. The HOF is for the greatest of the great.
He is only good to very good.

K Train
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
bettis, ben and troy....yes

ward....doubt it. hes playing in an era where hes really not even considered a top 10 WR, by the time HOF voting comes around for him (no where near first ballot) there will be alot of current guys (moss, fitz, andre johnson) who have all been better over about the same time frame of a career. Wrs dont have an easy path to the hall

tat2
11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
the bus- first ballot
ward- eventually, yes. does not put up huge numbers (which will hurt) but is the heart and soul of the offense
ben and troy- they must maintain their level of play for a few more years
someone not mentioned yeT: heath miller- career is off to a great start and my opinion the the best all-around te in the league, but he also must maintain that level of play for a few more years

ejsteeler
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
It kinda came up in the Hines Ward "Dirtiest player" thread, so I was kind of curious to see what everyone else thought.

Do we have any players on the current roster (or from the 1st SB that retired or moved on) that is a lock for the HoF?

IMO there are 3 at this point that are locks:

The Bus
Hines
Troy

I know most of you will say Ben is a lock, but I still think he needs to have a few more big passing seasons to get in. If he continues his current pace for 4-5 more years...he's a lock.
Outside chances:

Faneca
Hampton
Farrior (very very outside)
Ben (but like I said...he continues on this pace and stops ****ing ugly women, he's a lock)

That's really all I can think of for now.

You covered it.
I do think Hines will make it, though maybe not first ballot which will make it more and more difficult.

DanRooney
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
The guys you mentioned above are locks. Even Ben, as long as he stays healthy for another 4-5 years. Longevity is the only thing holding him back at this point, not yards.

K Train
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
The guys you mentioned above are locks. Even Ben, as long as he stays healthy for another 4-5 years. Longevity is the only thing holding him back at this point, not yards.

agree about ben

ward just really has an uphill battle ahead of him imo....theres ALOT of WRs with hall credentials that arent in and hes in a very talented era.

steelers hall of fame, most definitely....canton...doubtful

LatrobePA
11-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I say for coaches, Bruce Arians, he's a LOCK!

cmerrifield
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I think if Ward continues on pace this season and has one more season like this one, it will certainly help his cause, otherwise I agree with Train, not sure he makes it in this day and age, but back to back 1300+ yard season with 80+ catches would certainly help.

SteelCityKid5
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
K Train... seriously? Ward? I'm thinking he's a shoe in. Yeah a lot of WR's have better stats but if Stallworth and Swann are both in and he has better stats than the both of them, I mean really? Plus he has the Super Bowl 40 MVP in his back pocket. I was shocked when I read your statement. I know it's your opinion but, Bouchette even contemplated him being a first ballot HOF'er. I don't see how he doesnt get in. I've even heard a lot of analysts say he's one of the most purest WR's ie blocking and catching in NFL history. I mean I'm pretty sure he's getting in.

ejsteeler
11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
It would really depend on who is voting at that time. Could go either way though I believe he should be in. My homer side I suppose....

K Train
11-05-2009, 03:55 PM
K Train... seriously? Ward? I'm thinking he's a shoe in. Yeah a lot of WR's have better stats but if Stallworth and Swann are both in and he has better stats than the both of them, I mean really? Plus he has the Super Bowl 40 MVP in his back pocket. I was shocked when I read your statement. I know it's your opinion but, Bouchette even contemplated him being a first ballot HOF'er. I don't see how he doesnt get in. I've even heard a lot of analysts say he's one of the most purest WR's ie blocking and catching in NFL history. I mean I'm pretty sure he's getting in.

ok hes "complete" in that he blocks but stats are king in the hall.

dieon branch has a superbowl MVP...is he a lock?

stallworth and swann were the top guys of their era....if they played today....sorry, they wouldnt make the cut. ward is a great football player bu he wont get into the hall and if he does it will be 30 years down the line. first ballot is a joke there is no way. the hall is made for the best of the best, not just the good and steady

Zachintosh66
11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
ward, bettis

too early - ben, troy
border - Faneca (if dirt cant get in right away, alan wont)

unfair no's - smith, farrior, hartings

Steel Trap86
11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Ya I'm not sure if Ward gets in right NOW, he is a hall of fame Steeler no doubt....but if we win another superbowl in the next few years, which is a high possibility, then I guarentee Ward & Ben both get in.

Bettis for sure
Troy for sure

Black@Gold Forever32
11-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I see Ktrain's argument against Ward and I agree with him in a way....But the voters for the Hall sometimes have a hard on for the bling......Ward has two rings and a Super Bowl MVP that could favor Ward in the eyes of the voters........Plus his stats are not terrible.....His stats are from Chris Carters but Wards stats are still very good and he is still producing......I think when you factor in Wards stats and rings then he deserves to be be in......Plus what if the Steelers win another Super Bowl this year.....

I think Bettis is a lock.....

I also think Ben and Troy will make the Hall of Fame one day......

SteelerSteve
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Hmmm. I think Ben is doing nothing but getting better so as long as he can stay somewhat healthy then yes.

Ward I honestly think has a solid case for it.

Troy P will definitely get there, he is just too good.

Bettis

Bill Cowher possibly. His famous scowl wont hurt either lol

aaronsmith91
11-06-2009, 03:34 AM
It should be noted ward also had a rule change named after him. That helps his cause

K Train
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
It should be noted ward also had a rule change named after him. That helps his cause

no it doesnt

Stlrs4Life
11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Bus, Hines, Troy.