PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward named NFL's Dirtiest Player

Big T
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Ward, Porter, Haynesworth called NFL's dirtiest

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 3, 2009 2:23 PM ET

A Sports Illustrated poll of NFL players has found that Hines Ward is considered by his colleagues to be the dirtiest player in the league, with Albert Haynesworth and Joey Porter tied for second.

The question, "Who is the dirtiest player in the league?'' was asked of 296 players during training camp this summer, and Ward, the Steelers' wide receiver, got 11.6 percent of the vote, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Haynesworth, the Redskins defensive tackle who as a Tennessee Titan in 2006 received a five-game suspension for stepping on the helmetless head of Cowboys center Andre Gurode, got 6 percent of the vote. Porter, the Dolphins' linebacker, also got 6 percent.

Rounding out the Top 5 (or should it be Bottom 5?) are Bengals safety Roy Williams, who got 5.1 percent of the vote, and Titans center Kevin Mawae, with 4.6% percent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/03/ward-porter-haynesworth-called-nfls-dirtiest/

I don't even know what to say to this...it is unfreakingbelievable....maybe I forgot but I don't remember the last time Hines Ward intentionally stomped on any players heltmetless head, or the last time he said he wanted to hurt somebody, or the last time he intentionally lunged at someones knee

I just think it is funny that all of these big defensive players are afraid of a little wide reciever who plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. Stop bitching and grow a pair.

ps. Check out some of the comments....freaking priceless.

K Train
11-03-2009, 04:01 PM
hes like a 4-time winner...and its not unfreakingbelievable....its true. he is. no one said he wasnt smart about it though. Hes a real smart player and walks a fine line with some of his **** but saying hes NOT a dirty player is wrong. sure hes been a good wr, hes a tough guy, hes not even a bad guy....but hes definitely not the cleanest player

SteelCityKid5
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah everyone says he is, I don't know because I'm not out there. I find it ironic that Ward "won" this title when he plays a position that many claim is a diva position. Hats of Hines! :clap:

profellisdtrails
11-03-2009, 05:35 PM
there are plenty of patriots that could win this

ToothAche
11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
I thought they should have handed out the Pamprin and Tampax for some of those cry babies. I loved the guy that was trying to defend Rodney Harrison.
Losers will always fear pain.

ejsteeler
11-03-2009, 06:27 PM
:willybs: Nothing dirty about playing the game the way it is supposed to be played. Everyone of the whiners would jump at the chance to have him on their team. Hard, relentless, unmerciful yes, but not dirty, at least in my mind.
Who cares though, we have him and we'll keep him. :cope:

lloydfan4life
11-03-2009, 07:13 PM
This isn't a surprise at all. The 11.6% who voted for Hines are the same ones who got their bell rung by him! :lol:

Keep on hittin' Hines! :cope:

75Steeler
11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I think this is great. It lets you know what the other players are thinking about when they play the Steelers! :cope:

yinzer
11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
hes like a 4-time winner...and its not unfreakingbelievable....its true. he is. no one said he wasnt smart about it though. Hes a real smart player and walks a fine line with some of his **** but saying hes NOT a dirty player is wrong. sure hes been a good wr, hes a tough guy, hes not even a bad guy....but hes definitely not the cleanest player

:coffee1:

K Train
11-03-2009, 07:52 PM
yeah...just another ignorant, naive steelers fan that things no steeler can do no wrong

yinzer
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM
yeah...just another ignorant, naive steelers fan that things no steeler can do no wrong

you're THAT offended by my cartoon guy drinking coffee reply? :lol:

Prosdo
11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I agree with Hines being on the list, but isn't Albert Haynesworth the same guy that stomped on a defenseless Dallas Cowboys O-linemen's head who was without a helmet. Like I said Hines Ward definitely deserves to be on there, but I don't think he should be #1.

lloydfan4life
11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
you're THAT offended by my cartoon guy drinking coffee reply? :lol:

I was. Next time please use the popcorn guy! :popcorn:

LarryNJ
11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
What is it that he does that is dirty?

DanRooney
11-03-2009, 08:51 PM
This is total bullshit. Right team, wrong player. If I was Ryan Clark I'd be outraged not to receive this award.

McGahee?
Wes Welker? (lol.)
Percy Harvin? (very clean hit, but equally funny w/ Favre sprinting down the field)

K Train
11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
im sure he got votes....really ward only got like what? 35/296

igor0190
11-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Heinz would also be voted the best blocking wide receiver. The two go hand in hand. Just the way it is.

Steel Trap86
11-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Heinz would also be voted the best blocking wide receiver. The two go hand in hand. Just the way it is.

Yea he would, and I like it when Ward shakes up opponents. Everybody not only tries to take his head off, but they chirp about it before the game too, so he takes action first. He is the most complete WR in the game and the guy is a ****ing 2 time superbowl champ so if this top dirtiest player is supposed to bash the way he plays then I say get off his back because there's a couple other players, on the Steelers, that I'd pick over 86.

Hburg
11-04-2009, 12:47 AM
What is the margin of error due to haterism? Sports Illustrated, and the media in general like these stories to rile up fans about players in the league. Profootballtalk is a prime source of such material.

Is Hines dirty? No, he's slick but he's not Clorox clean either. :lol:

BuFu

ejsteeler
11-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Real simple, show me some dirty plays. That's all. Show me some plays that are dirty and not just hard hits from a guy doing his job. I'll concede he has had questionable hits, even a dirty hit or more especially early on, but that by no means makes him a dirty player. Is Brett on the list? Throwing a blatant dirty hit is far worse to me than anything Hines has done. But don't take my word, I'm just another ignorant Steelers fan. :whatever:

Callax
11-04-2009, 08:50 AM
yeah...just another ignorant, naive :willybs:
steelers fan that things no steeler can do no wrong

We are not saying he's perfect
He plays hard and every team in the league would love to have him on their team!!!
The poll should have included Rodney Harrison oh he retired as a has been at best!

LOOK WHO'S CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK!!!

LarryNJ
11-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Real simple, show me some dirty plays. That's all. Show me some plays that are dirty and not just hard hits from a guy doing his job..... But don't take my word, I'm just another ignorant Steelers fan. :whatever:

:plus1: That was my question, what has he done that is dirty?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
This isn't a surprise at all. The 11.6% who voted for Hines are the same ones who got their bell rung by him! :lol:

Keep on hittin' Hines! :cope:

And you can bet your last dollar that every one of the people who participated in that vote would kill to have Hines Ward on their team! Hines is Hines, he'll never change his style of play, nor should he!

SteelCityKid5
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
This poll is Steelers message boards material. Who cares? Haha it's not like "winning" this poll won't get him into the HOF. I haven't seen him perform dirty plays. I think he just hits people in untimely situations and most players don't like that. And didn't Ward say that he would rather "hit a guy high rather than low" because doing that is dirty? It's a toss up. I'm sure there are dirtier players out there than Ward. I think there is a bias or jealousy factor when players vote. If Ward played on the Browns or Lions, I don't think he would be no.1 or even on this list. Also, I was shocked when someone above mentioned Clark. I think you're right. Clark has had more controversial hits than Ward IMHO. Bottom line is, Ward won't change the way he plays because of this and I think it's the way football should be played. Boo hoo haters, boo hoo.

memphissteelergirl
11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
And you can bet your last dollar that every one of the people who participated in that vote would kill to have Hines Ward on their team! Hines is Hines, he'll never change his style of play, nor should he!

:plus1::clap:

Phenomenal TJ
11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
During training camp, the illustrious magazine and website known as Sports Illustrated polled 296 NFL players, asking them the not so simple question: ‘Who is the dirtiest player in the league?’

Read more at the Pittsburgh Pigskin Blog:

http://fanhuddle.com/pittsburghsteelers/2009/11/04/pittsburghs-hines-ward-voted-leagues-dirtiest-player/

TampaSteelGirl
11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Two words.....Terrell Suggs????????????

Oh and he can block me anytime.......:grin1:

ejsteeler
11-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Two words.....Terrell Suggs????????????

Oh and he can block me anytime.......:grin1:

eeeaassy girl......:lol:

TEEMONT
11-04-2009, 06:09 PM
if Ward played for another team, not a person on this board would think he "played the game the way it was supposed to be played" You would all think he was the dirtiest **** in the world....lol...all you sitting here saying he's clean. Who did they poll for this? Opposing players? Yeah I think they would know a little better than all of you Steelers fans.

lloydfan4life
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Back to the question of the day... that nobody seems to have an answer for.
Exactly what is it that makes Hines a dirty player? And not just 'A' dirty player, but 'THE DIRTIEST' player in the league.

Gimme a break. There's NO WAY Hines is the dirtiest player in the league. The result of the poll that was taken is nothing more than sour grapes from other players. :crying: Waaahhh... Hines hit me too hard. :rofl:

TEEMONT
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Back to the question of the day... that nobody seems to have an answer for.
Exactly what is it that makes Hines a dirty player? And not just 'A' dirty player, but 'THE DIRTIEST' player in the league.

Gimme a break. There's NO WAY Hines is the dirtiest player in the league. The result of the poll that was taken is nothing more than sour grapes from other players. :crying: Waaahhh... Hines hit me too hard. :rofl:

a lot of his hits are cheap and unneccessary. Players who lose quite a bit of weeks thanks to being blindsided by a WR deem it dirty. Ward plays Hard and plays clean a lot too, but any Steelers fan who thinks he isn't dirty needs to take off the Black and Gold colored glasses, that a lot of fans seem to be wearing.

Steel Trap86
11-04-2009, 06:42 PM
if Ward played for another team, not a person on this board would think he "played the game the way it was supposed to be played" You would all think he was the dirtiest **** in the world....lol...all you sitting here saying he's clean. Who did they poll for this? Opposing players? Yeah I think they would know a little better than all of you Steelers fans.

Opposing players also hold feelings against Ward and have been hit up on a block multiple other times. This dirtiest player award on Ward means absolutely **** all to him or anybody else. I'm never one to badmouth a big hit on anybody, Steelers included. That's how the game is played, that's how I play it. If Ward played on another team why the **** would you think everybody would think he's dirty? because he is not a Steeler? The only explanation I can come up with is that you think Steeler fans are pussies. Why even communicate on a messageboard if you feel you're talking to a bunch of whiney little bitches. LOL Ward could play on any team in the ****in NFL I'd still love him, nobody plays like 86, hell he is a big part of the reason I'm a Steeler fan!.

--- Added 11/4/2009 at 05:42 PM ---

LOL I know man, these guys need the wambulance called for them. What a bunch of whiney little bitches.

TEEMONT
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
If Ward played on another team why the **** would you think everybody would think he's dirty? because he is not a Steeler? .

yes...

DIESELMAN
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Ward, Porter, Haynesworth called NFL's dirtiest

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 3, 2009 2:23 PM ET

A Sports Illustrated poll of NFL players has found that Hines Ward is considered by his colleagues to be the dirtiest player in the league, with Albert Haynesworth and Joey Porter tied for second.

The question, "Who is the dirtiest player in the league?'' was asked of 296 players during training camp this summer, and Ward, the Steelers' wide receiver, got 11.6 percent of the vote, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Haynesworth, the Redskins defensive tackle who as a Tennessee Titan in 2006 received a five-game suspension for stepping on the helmetless head of Cowboys center Andre Gurode, got 6 percent of the vote. Porter, the Dolphins' linebacker, also got 6 percent.

Rounding out the Top 5 (or should it be Bottom 5?) are Bengals safety Roy Williams, who got 5.1 percent of the vote, and Titans center Kevin Mawae, with 4.6% percent.I for one don't give a **** if Hines is the "dirtiest player in the league" or not. All I know is he plays hard and he plays to win, who cares if his hits are dirty or even borderline dirty. He is a 6' 200 lbs WR, going up against bigger and faster players who's main goal is to play defense and have been hitting people from pee wee league to the NFL. Its in their blood, its their game. I love when a football game is 0-0 and their are nothing but headless helmets flying through the air, all game. Hard hitting, spit flying, bone cracking big time hits. Not only is Hines a competitor but he makes all his team mates even better players. I would also be willing to say, he makes the defensive players he lays out better football players in the future. Do you think Rivers is going to get blindsided again? Hell no, he has his head on a swivel, where it should have been in the 1st place. I hope Hines plays for another 10 years and keeps playing the game the way he plays it. At least he doesn't step on defenseless, helmetless players heads.

K Train
11-04-2009, 07:53 PM

this^

K Train
11-04-2009, 07:54 PM
I for one don't give a **** if Hines is the "dirtiest player in the league" or not. All I know is he plays hard and he plays to win, who cares if his hits are dirty or even borderline dirty. He is a 6' 200 lbs WR, going up against bigger and faster players who's main goal is to play defense and have been hitting people from pee wee league to the NFL. Its in their blood, its their game. I love when a football game is 0-0 and their are nothing but headless helmets flying through the air, all game. Hard hitting, spit flying, bone cracking big time hits. Not only is Hines a competitor but he makes all his team mates even better players. I would also be willing to say, he makes the defensive players he lays out better football players in the future. Do you think Rivers is going to get blindsided again? Hell no, he has his head on a swivel, where it should have been in the 1st place. I hope Hines plays for another 10 years and keeps playing the game the way he plays it. At least he doesn't step on defenseless, helmetless players heads.

no one said it was a bad thing, but it is true....dont get me wrong, i love it....but its true

TEEMONT
11-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I like how he plays too, I'm just saying it's not clean.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I like how he plays too, I'm just saying it's not clean.

Define clean......Clean compared to the watered down pu$$y rules of today...no by no means....But clean probably 15 years ago and beyond of course........I like the way he plays and I wouldn't care if he was a Steeler or not.......I know I would love Jack Tatum if he played today and he was probably one of the dirtiest players that ever played the game....Tatum was a villain to most older Steelers fans....lol I know my uncle hates him....lol

ejsteeler
11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Come on now, you know if you disagree with some folks you're stupid. naive, ignorant and anything else negative you can think of.
He plays hard. Dirty is intentionally trying to injure someone in my mind. That's not how he plays or there would be a great deal more season ending injuries.I can see how others would say it, especially opposing players, but thats sour grapes for you. It's ok, soon they can cry that he is the dirtiest player in the HOF. :yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2009, 08:38 PM
please stop with the drama queen stuff....lol

K Train
11-04-2009, 09:24 PM
ward will never sniff the hall of fame....but thats another story

i like how he plays....i would try to **** people up to. and it is dirty, not by the rules....just its not necessary, sometimes his hits are uncalled for thats all im saying, hes sneaky about it

BlackGold4vr
11-04-2009, 10:07 PM
All I know is every time they play a nationally televised game the announcers call him the most complete wide receiver in the league. And they usually add that there isn't a coach in the league that wouldn't want a Hines on their team. I agree! Plenty of the big splash plays that the Steelers have enjoyed the last few years have been made possible by great blocks delivered by Hines down the field. I love the fact that Hines can get just as much satisfaction from knocking a linebackers head off as catching a touchdown! I am also still waiting for the hit that will knock the smile off of Hines face. I'm a big Hines Ward fan. He puts some muscle in the Steelers offense and makes defenders nervous. I like that!

:helmet:

lloydfan4life
11-05-2009, 08:36 AM
All I know is every time they play a nationally televised game the announcers call him the most complete wide receiver in the league. And they usually add that there isn't a coach in the league that wouldn't want a Hines on their team. I agree! Plenty of the big splash plays that the Steelers have enjoyed the last few years have been made possible by great blocks delivered by Hines down the field. I love the fact that Hines can get just as much satisfaction from knocking a linebackers head off as catching a touchdown! I am also still waiting for the hit that will knock the smile off of Hines face. I'm a big Hines Ward fan. He puts some muscle in the Steelers offense and makes defenders nervous. I like that!

:helmet:

:clap: Well said.

TEEMONT
11-05-2009, 09:03 AM

i like how he plays....i would try to **** people up to. and it is dirty, not by the rules....just its not necessary, sometimes his hits are uncalled for thats all im saying, hes sneaky about it

Ward will be in the HoF....don't we have a thread about that?

Better career stats then Irvin, and one less SB (so far) to go along with a SB MVP that Irvin doesn't have. Ward made the HoF the day Micheal Irvin was enshrined.

ejsteeler
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
please stop with the drama queen stuff....lol

works both ways man.....:nono:

Callax
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM

Man , how easy is it to say that you are wrong!!
He will finish with very good numbers in yards, catches, TD's will be close to 100, but doubt it will be more than 95.
He may not be a 1st ballot HOF, But he will be in the HOF, like Swann and Stallworth, which took TOO DAMN long to be inducted!!!:2cents:
:grin1:

greatfish
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't even know what to say to this...it is unfreakingbelievable....maybe I forgot but I don't remember the last time Hines Ward intentionally stomped on any players heltmetless head, or the last time he said he wanted to hurt somebody, or the last time he intentionally lunged at someones knee

I just think it is funny that all of these big defensive players are afraid of a little wide reciever who plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. Stop bitching and grow a pair.

ps. Check out some of the comments....freaking priceless.

Right on target . . . you got it exactly right, how many current and ex-Ravens were in the survey?

HUNT4SEVEN
11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
All i know is Hines has never been suspended or fined for a hit, yea sometime he hits a player when maybe he doesn't have to, but they teach u in the kiddie league to keep your head on a swivel so as long as he plays by the rules i don't have a problem with his play, i love the way he plays, he plays the game like they played back in the 70's! i say keep it up Hines an heres to the Hines haters:bigfinger: get an life:tt02:

SteelerSteve
11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
if Ward played for another team, not a person on this board would think he "played the game the way it was supposed to be played" You would all think he was the dirtiest **** in the world....lol...all you sitting here saying he's clean. Who did they poll for this? Opposing players? Yeah I think they would know a little better than all of you Steelers fans.Oh yeah, I probably wouldn't like him if he played for another team but he doesn't and that means I get to enjoy him ****ing up other teams players and breaking bones and ****. its fun to watch

TheExiled
11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Keep smilin' Hines! You get in their heads so much & take them out of their game better than any other NFL player. All with that big smile across your face. No one does it better. Way to help your team win!!:grin1:

K Train
11-07-2009, 02:23 PM
awful lot of ignorant homers in this thread.

tee, no, irvin was among the best of his 90s era...ward would have been too, and sure back in the 70s ward would have been a sure fire hall of famer....he would have been the best receiver the 70s could ever see, AND he would be among the fastest. they just werent the athletes that we have today, even the 90s werent as big or fast....also add that irvin was flashy, that helps a career alot

when the WRs of this era are all retired, ward wont even be a top 10 guy...im not hating on ward, im saying that the 2000s are stacked with talent that are better than him and just because hes a good blocker and commentators suck his dick doesnt make him a hall of famer