PDA

View Full Version : how to beat Broncos:

JensK
11-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Denver is absolutely no push-over, and even though they got beaten up pretty badly last week against Ravens, one shouldn't take Denver for granted because this team knows how to play ball!

When watching the Ravens game last week, one thing came to my mind: One of our best forces is actually Denver's biggest weakness. Denver is hard to run against (not impossible tho - Id say easier than Vikings), and god damn near impossible to throw against: Before i continue, allow me to name Denver's DBs:

Bailey - Dawkins - Hill - Goodman / Alphonso Smith

This group is, in my humble opinion, in top 3 in the league, if not the best in the business of football right now. Along with that, they are having great success with getting pressure on the QB, with Elvis Dumervil leading the league in sacks right now. Watching last weeks game, it was pretty clear that Ravens had a really hard time getting anything consistent going against this. Ray Rice ran the ball fairly well, but he seems to do that against pretty much everyone - but the throwing was horrid, and some is to blame on Flacco! He did not have a good game at all, but he was being chased all over the field and forced to throw the bad throws, which their DBs are WAY too good to pick up. When i am writing this, it sounds like Ravens was shut-out of that game, but we all know what it ended, and that Broncos got man-handled. Neither of the teams really did anything at all until second half - Prior to that, there was scored no TDs at all in the game. What did Ravens do? They came out in the no-huddle and marched down the field and put quite a few points on the board. Seeing that we excel at the no-huddle offense, i don't see any reason why we should not go out and use that a lot, especially in the second half, where Denver seems to destroy their opponents (prior to the Ravens game, Denver had only allowed 2 first downs in the second half).

We also need to be blitz-happy, and quit using that big cushion on our CBs. I am going to say this right now, if we play with a too big cushion, Denver is going to put up points on the board, and it may be many. Denver can basically play two kinds of offense: They can run the ball (pretty well), and they can throw screen-passes. You hardly ever see Orton look far down the field. He'll dump it off to Moreno/Buckhalter and Marshall. Eddie Royal can make things happen too, when he gets the ball on a screen-play. How did Ravens counter this? Easy - Pressure pressure pressure, and no such thing as a cushion. They blitzed on almost every play, Ed Reed made a living on the LOS, and their CBs played with a very tight cushion, and mr. Orton looked as lost as a poor man in a Mercedes store.

If we can do these things, i could see us having a field day against Denver, if not, its going to be a long long day at miles high...

to prove my point about Orton not being able to stretch the field (i did not write that, but its the conclusion :P) Denver have 17 plays of 20+ yards in the passing game. Thats good enough to rank 18th in the league, tied with Arizona, Buffalo and Seattle. The only team with a winning record with fewer plays is Atlanta.

DanRooney
11-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Play good defense and we shouldn't have a problem at all. Their offense is horrid.

Troyisabeast_43
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I just hope this isnt one of those games where Ben and the offense plays stupid and turns the ball over and Arians and the playcalling forgets what they are doing. The Steelers always seem like they are good for a few of these games a year and this game has a feeling of that written all over it. If Ben plays the way he has played so far this season, and the offense in general doesnt turn the ball over, and the Steelers defense does it job the way we all know they are capable of doing the Steelers will win this game in Denver. Even though the Broncos are 6-1 they are still not a better overall football team then the Steelers. Ill take Ben over Kyle Orton anyday of the week and I think that is what is going to end up being in the difference in this game when all is said and done. If Orton doesnot outplay Ben the Broncos will not win this game period...

yinzer
11-02-2009, 07:19 PM
If Ben gets in a zone, this game will get really ugly for the donkeys.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm not really worried about the Broncos at all.....I think the Steelers will win by double digits next monday night.....The Donkies are over-rated......

K Train
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
they were the worst 6-0 team ever....and they can thank 2 late game miracles for that record. this game will be a blowout.

BlackGold4vr
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm not really worried about the Broncos at all.....I think the Steelers will win by double digits next monday night.....The Donkies are over-rated......

:plus1:

Broncos defense is the teams strength and their offense sucks. Put up about 24 points or more and victory is assured. Their weak *** offense will not score a lot of points against us! Only way we lose this game is if we give the game away with dumb mistakes. :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
:plus1:

Broncos defense is the teams strength and their offense sucks. Put up about 24 points or more and victory is assured. Their weak *** offense will not score a lot of points against us! Only way we lose this game is if we give the game away with dumb mistakes. :2cents:

In my opinion to I think the Donkies defense has been playing above their heads this season to....Don't get we wrong I still think they're a solid unit but not an elite defense.......Their offense is Brandon Marshall and a bunch of smoke and mirrors......Playing in Denver gives them a slight advantage but I still think the Steelers win by double digits.....

34-17 Steelers....

Troyisabeast_43
11-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Like I said as long as Ben plays the way he has played all season long and doesnt turn the football over the Steelers should put up enough points in this game for the Steelers defense to shut down Orton and the Broncos offense. However, I dont agree with a lot of you guys when you say this is going to be a blowout and a double digit win. I still think it's going to be a hard fought tight game all the way down to the 4th quarter with Ben's play over Orton's being the big difference in the end...

LatrobePA
11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Kyle Orton sucks, we win big!

Zachintosh66
11-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah but can we block Elvis?

K Train
11-03-2009, 03:16 PM
elvis is FAR from unblockable. we play great against 34 teams. its the 43 that gives the oline fits and jared allen was shut down. i remain unworried

LatrobePA
11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Didn't Elvis die taking a ****?

profellisdtrails
11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
they were the worst 6-0 team ever....and they can thank 2 late game miracles for that record. this game will be a blowout.

6-1 now

DanRooney
11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
why he said "were"

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
I really like the Steelers chances in this game as I already stated.....But one point to bring up is Mike Nolan will bring the kitchen sink monday night and that could be troublesome........Running the football might be key monday night since the Broncos front 7 is a tad undersized......I'm all for passing and really using the pass to set up the run with this current personal.....But monday night might be a game to get the running game going early on and then take shots down the field....or if the blitz is to much to handle then use dumpoffs or the hot read....which Ben and his WR's must be on the same page.......

ejsteeler
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Agreed .The running game is #1, then rushing the crap out of Orton to cause turnovers which he will if we can harrass him.

Troyisabeast_43
11-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I still think the Steelers need to play to their strengths and their strength right now and this season so far is their passing game. Put the game and the ball in the hands of your best player and that is Ben Roethlisberger. This Steelers passing game is still potent enough and have enough weapons on hand to give the Broncos a lot of problems if they spread them out enough and use the no huddle. I just do not feel comfortable at this time putting this game all on the running game and in Rashard Mendenhall's hands. The running game I do believe will be there in this game, but the Steelers I dont believe should make it a top priority and take the ball out of Ben Roethlisberger's hands. Throw the ball early and often in this game and get up by a couple scores or at the very least by 10 points. If the Broncos fall behind in this game by double digits they just do not have the firepower and weapons on offense with Orton at QB to be able to come back and pull out a win. The only way they would be able too is if Ben and the Steelers offense self-distruct and turn the ball over numerous times that either lead to touchdowns or result in touchdowns. The Broncos need to keep this game close and down to the wire with the Steelers I believe if they are going to have a chance to win. If they have to rely on Kyle Orton and their passing game to come from behind late and win against a very good Steelers defense then the Broncos are going to be in big trouble and wont have any chance of winning this game Monday night...

jamesholliday
11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
pressure d and let ben do his thing we will b fine

LatrobePA
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Guys lets not forget we have the BEST OC in the league, we'll be fine!

All joking aside, I wonder what kind of **** he'll have brewed up!