PDA

View Full Version : draft confessions

cmerrifield
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Alright, it has been 7 weeks of this season, what player were you mad at the Steelers passing up on, or thought would be amazing who absolutely tanked for the team they are playing for, or which players did you think would stink and have turned out really well. I know there was a lot of desire for Oline in the first round, but to be honest our I think our Oline is beginning to hold their own and continuing to improve, so lets have it and be honest, we can go back to those threads to see if you are being honest. :stirpot:

Mine is Hood, I thought he would be miles ahead of where he really is, and I thought our CB's would be seeing more playing time by now. What about you all?

K Train
10-27-2009, 07:10 PM
i coud go all day.

oher has played like the best tackle in this draft and thats what i claimed him to be. jason smith doesnt start, andre smith hasnt seen the field, beatty has struggles, monroe has struggled, loadholt has struggled.....oher has made it look easy on both the left and right side.....and we let him go to the ravens.

passing on gilbert in the second was dumb....he would be PERFECT for all of our dline injuries right now.

Passing on maualuga was dumb....hes killing it for the bengals and would fit even better in our system than he does there.

i hit dead on with shipley, summers, harris....they are all terrible.

david johnson...pleasant little surprise there, i honestly never heard of him before the draft.

i thought there were alot of better receivers on the board but i was way wrong...wallace=stud

im sure ill be disappointed in hood since hes gonna have to actually play now.

urbik is among the ranks of the worst oline picks ive ever seen....the fact that hes not even a backup says everything.....foster (undrafted this year) and legursky (undrafted last year) are the primary backups at all 5 positions on the oline.....i could not have been more accurate with my criticism of this pick

also, sammie lee hill has been soooo impressive for the lions at NT/DT....he will be the best NT this past year....better than raji

Big T
10-27-2009, 09:49 PM
i coud go all day.

oher has played like the best tackle in this draft and thats what i claimed him to be. jason smith doesnt start, andre smith hasnt seen the field, beatty has struggles, monroe has struggled, loadholt has struggled.....oher has made it look easy on both the left and right side.....and we let him go to the ravens.

passing on gilbert in the second was dumb....he would be PERFECT for all of our dline injuries right now.

Passing on maualuga was dumb....hes killing it for the bengals and would fit even better in our system than he does there.
Mendenhall taking over starting job

i hit dead on with shipley, summers, harris....they are all terrible.

david johnson...pleasant little surprise there, i honestly never heard of him before the draft.

i thought there were alot of better receivers on the board but i was way wrong...wallace=stud

im sure ill be disappointed in hood since hes gonna have to actually play now.

urbik is among the ranks of the worst oline picks ive ever seen....the fact that hes not even a backup says everything.....foster (undrafted this year) and legursky (undrafted last year) are the primary backups at all 5 positions on the oline.....i could not have been more accurate with my criticism of this pick

also, sammie lee hill has been soooo impressive for the lions at NT/DT....he will be the best NT this past year....better than raji

We've pretty much agreed on everything during the draft process. You've said almost everything...I'll add a few things

Joe Burnett has been doing a solid job on special teams and I'm suprised that Keenan Lewis has yet to dress.

I was really pulling for Darius Butler at 32, kept yelling for Duke Robinson as he kept falling(and falling and falling) and I really wanted DJ Moore when he fell to the third and then fourth round and I was extremely pissed when we took Frank summers when Javon Ringer was still on the board. During the whole first round, being a Florida gators fan, I was praying that Percy harvin would fall and Pittsburgh would trade up to get him. Obviously they didn't and I can't be too mad because they found a gem in Mike Wallace who so far is clearly the steal of the draft.

JensK
10-28-2009, 05:38 AM
We've pretty much agreed on everything during the draft process. You've said almost everything...I'll add a few things

Joe Burnett has been doing a solid job on special teams and I'm suprised that Keenan Lewis has yet to dress.

I was really pulling for Darius Butler at 32, kept yelling for Duke Robinson as he kept falling(and falling and falling) and I really wanted DJ Moore when he fell to the third and then fourth round and I was extremely pissed when we took Frank summers when Javon Ringer was still on the board. During the whole first round, being a Florida gators fan, I was praying that Percy harvin would fall and Pittsburgh would trade up to get him. Obviously they didn't and I can't be too mad because they found a gem in Mike Wallace who so far is clearly the steal of the draft.

Ktrain and Bit T really said it, but id say that my biggest surprice is that Keenan Lewis havnt dressed yet - They were so high on him in Training Camp - much more than Burnett, so i wonder what happened to him.

K Train
10-28-2009, 12:21 PM
lewis has had a hamstring injury and he will dress as soon as they realize ratliff is awful

steelcityrockers
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Ratliff being mediocre to awful...I called that when they signed him I'm pretty sure.

I kind of hated all the picks except for Burnett at the time and thought Wallace was a huge reach. He has obvioulsy proved me wrong. Kid can ball. None of the other rookies have done much of anything, so I can't really comment.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I wanted the Steelers to trade up for Oher....I also wanted Jarron Gilbert really bad......I really didn't know what to think about the Hood pick at the time and really still don't what to think....I'm all for giving the kid the chance.......Was kind of shocked when the Steelers traded out of the second round but didn't mind it especially when the they drafted Wallace....I loved the Wallace pick when it happened and the kid has done nothing to disappoint.....I didn't hate this draft but I didn't love it either....Really still to early to comment on it......I really liked the Burnett pick to when it happened.....

JensK
10-29-2009, 06:47 AM
I wanted the Steelers to trade up for Oher....I also wanted Jarron Gilbert really bad......I really didn't know what to think about the Hood pick at the time and really still don't what to think....I'm all for giving the kid the chance.......Was kind of shocked when the Steelers traded out of the second round but didn't mind it especially when the they drafted Wallace....I loved the Wallace pick when it happened and the kid has done nothing to disappoint.....I didn't hate this draft but I didn't love it either....Really still to early to comment on it......I really liked the Burnett pick to when it happened.....

Im pretty sure they actually did try to trade up for Oher, but did not succeed - i guess they really just didnt try hard enough...

Callax
10-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Urbik??
Urbik??
who is he??

Was he drafted by a team this year?? Ohhh yeah, Pitt drafted him and he ' not been heard from again....
I hope Lewis heals up so he can get on the field... He needs to work on his speed because he has very good size for a corner (maybe future safety??)
Burnett has the speed and needs to bulk up (likely townsend replacement)
maybe Urbik will be a contributor next year
same with Hood
Dave johnson and Wallace have been pleasant surprises, Wallace will be a very good player for his career!!!

very few rookie mistakes, unlike some other 2nd year WR pitt has drafted recently!