PDA

View Full Version : A Chat With A Vikings Fan

Phenomenal TJ
10-27-2009, 01:30 AM
So a good friend of mine, Mark, from Sports Jabber agreed to toss me his thoughts. He’s a long time Minnesota Vikings fan, and one great guy all around. He predicted a close Pittsburgh Steelers win as well.

Here’s what Mark had to say:

http://fanhuddle.com/pittsburghsteelers/2009/10/26/a-chat-with-a-vikings-fan/

Ironman
10-27-2009, 03:16 AM
1. The Vikings are actually a better team than I thought. After getting called for what appeared to be a very specious tripping penalty and giving up a defensive TD on the fumble, they stayed in the game. Harvin’s kickoff return was a great boost to the defense.

2. The Steelers offensive line may have some serious weaknesses. The pressure the Vikings got on Roethlisberger all day was pretty good. And the team did a good job of corraling him and not letting him make any “cheap” completions.

3. I was surprised the Steelers didn’t attack the Vikings secondary, given that their best defensive player was out. Not just their best defensive back, their best player. (Full disclosure here: I started both Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace in my fantasy league because I was sure they’d have big days.)

4. Steelers approached this game defensively as most teams have this year. They worked to stop or minimize Adrian Peterson and take their chances on Brett Favre. It worked, but just barely. That could be good news for my team as the season goes along. After all, not every team is as solid up front as the Steelers and Peterson will definitely get his yards.

Overall, the Vikings had a chance to win with less than two minutes to go. As a fan, that’s pretty much all you can ask for on the road against the defending league champions. I didn’t expect to win this game so it doesn’t sting too bad. I thought that Mike Tomlin would be better able to predict the playcalling and tendencies. It didn’t really turn out that way.

Also, it gives the Vikings a chance to re-focus and be better prepared for what is – for them – a more meaningful (ie, division) game against the Green Bay Packers.

Great game. Hope we get to do it again in Miami.

A Vikings fan not believing his team was good enough after a 6-0 start :thinking:?? As far as Ben being pressured all day, I disagree. The Vikes totaled 3 sacks, but they did keep pressure on Ben, although it was not 'all day', Ben was able to find Heath undernearth several times (which is what I think he means by 'cheap' completions).

The Steelers tried to attack the secondary, but they only had the ball for 23 minutes. Arians' play calling was very questionable during this game, but he tried to keep the passing/rushing playcall in balance. Mendenhall deserved his rushes, and to be honest, 10 attempts is simply not enough. I know he fumbled in the RedZone, but that's part of learning curve. As far as #4, I basically agree, but I'm still not sold on Favre playing his best the entire season, sooner or later, his choice-making abilities will diminish if his health, or O-line falters in any way whatsoever. This was a great game, and in my opinion, it could be a preview of the Superbowl. The Vikes and the Saints are the only NFC teams that have really impressed me so far.

Big T
10-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Max Starks deserves a ton of credit for basically shutting down one of the leagues best pass rushers in Jared Allen. He held Allen to like two tackles and 0 sacks, coming in as one of the NFLs sack leaders. He was one-on-one with Jared more than I thought he'd be and he did a phenomenal job. Max Starks, for the first time this season, I applaud you.

franchise3
10-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah I disagree with your friend in our oline not being good. I thought they had one of their better games of the season and that says a lot because they were pretty good this season IMHO.

And as for our offensive play calling, Arians, enough said.

--- Added 10/27/2009 at 08:00 AM ---

Yeah I disagree with your friend in our oline not being good. I thought they had one of their better games of the season and that says a lot because they were pretty good this season IMHO. Keep in mind that Vikings defense is really, really good.

And as for our offensive play calling, Arians, enough said.

yinzer
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Max Starks deserves a ton of credit for basically shutting down one of the leagues best pass rushers in Jared Allen. He held Allen to like two tackles and 0 sacks, coming in as one of the NFLs sack leaders. He was one-on-one with Jared more than I thought he'd be and he did a phenomenal job. Max Starks, for the first time this season, I applaud you.

Starks MANHANDLED Allen. Allen was held to ONE tackle. The play when Allen got his ONE tackle, he wasn't even Starks' responsibility on that play. Starks owned Allen all afternoon. The only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Starks MANHANDLED Allen. Allen was held to ONE tackle. The play when Allen got his ONE tackle, he wasn't even Starks' responsibility on that play. Starks owned Allen all afternoon. The only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

Starks had a great game against allen, but i thought the whole o-line did a great job against one of the best d-lines in the league:yellowthumb: