PDA

View Full Version : Gay Needs To Work On His Tackling

BlackGold4vr
10-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Was it just me or was Gay exposed in this game as a weak tackler? I'm not just talking about his posterization by AP. He tends to try these arm tackles rather than the fundamental wrapping up of the legs. I hope the coaches get on him this week in the film room and get him back to the fundamentals. Also noticed Ike Taylor going back to his old style of keeping his back to the receiver and not turning around to locate the ball. On several plays he could have broken up the pass if he had merely turned around to locate the ball. Tight coverage means nothing if the guy is still able to catch the ball dropped in right over your head! :2cents:

Watched the Arizona vs. New York game and was reminded of what a good player Bryant McFadden was.

Iron City South
10-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Gay got abused yesterday pure and simple. Farve found a weak link and make him the posterchild for the remainder of the game. Ike wasn't yesterday either ...

LatrobePA
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Lets not forget Taylor was schooled a few times!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Remember guys, it took McFadden awhile before he blossomed into a solid player. Ike Taylor was a nightmare when he first started playing CB as well. Give Gay time, he's got a lot of natural talent and a nose for the ball, he'll be good but he's only starting his 7th game. As the year goes on he'll get better and better and by this time next year he'll be a beast.

LatrobePA
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM
IMO Taylor is still a nightmare! I don't see it sometimes...

Captcoolhand
10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Remember guys, it took McFadden awhile before he blossomed into a solid player. Ike Taylor was a nightmare when he first started playing CB as well. Give Gay time, he's got a lot of natural talent and a nose for the ball, he'll be good but he's only starting his 7th game. As the year goes on he'll get better and better and by this time next year he'll be a beast.
Man, you got alot of faith!

I said it b4 and say again, Our DB's suck! If it wasn't for the interception by Fox,(By luck)we might have just lost that game yesterday.

SteelerSal
10-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Aside from AP plowing over him, Gay made some solid open field tackles.
As for Ike, the past few games he has looked lost. He played better against biggere named recievers than he has over mediocre ones. IMO

BlackGold4vr
10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
The difference between a Darrel Revis or a Champ Bailey and Ike Taylor is large enough to sail the 7th fleet through. Taylors deficiencies are masked by a team with a pretty good pass rush. He is not even in the same league as the other guys mentioned. If you were building a fantasy team he doesn't even get an honorable mention. :lol:

Callax
10-26-2009, 11:07 AM
As for GAY:
When his football career is over, he can continue his career as a DOORMAT for AP!!!!

WOW!!
Did he Get PUNKED!!!!!!

LatrobePA
10-26-2009, 11:08 AM
As for GAY:
When his football career is over, he can continue his career as a DOORMAT for AP!!!!

WOW!!
Did he Get PUNKED!!!!!!

LMAO! AP going against a CB is never going to end well!

Dee Mca
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Even thou Gay did get trucked by AP he is still a hell of a lot better tackler then Reed is!!!
I don't care what positions they play.
Your still a football player first and foremost and tackling is part of the game.

K Train
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
gay made alot of tackles in the open field and he was not the first DB peterson abused....90% of dbs would be on their *** in that situation

Big T
10-26-2009, 12:16 PM
William made some nice tackles but also got dicked on a bit. Ike always plays to the level of the reciever he is guarding. he is a good corner but is inconsistant at time.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Dee Mca;314463]Even thou Gay did get trucked by AP he is still a hell of a lot better tackler then Reed is!!!

:hehheh: You got that sh&^ right! Gay will be alright, like K Train said most D,B's would be on their @$$ after that hit AP just got lower than Gay, IMO gay is doing a decent job with this being his first year as a starter, Like Top Gun said It took McFadden 3 years befor he started, Gay will get better as time goes on IMO....

KemoTherapy
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Shoulda traded up to get Revis.

Zachintosh66
10-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Shoulda traded up to get Revis.

Amen on that

K Train
10-26-2009, 01:31 PM
over timmons? no thanks

would have rather gotten alphonso smith this year, or dj moore, or darius butler, or flowers last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2009, 01:47 PM
I really think Gay is going to be good, it's going to take towards the end of this season and into next but we'll have a good CB in the end. There is no substitute for experience, the more teams go after him the more he'll learn and respond in a positive way. That hit by Peterson yesterday, yeah that was big and Gay got his bell rung but that's life in the NFL. You have to have growing pains in order to grow.

SteelCityKid5
10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
William Gay gets run over by AP and your calling him terrible? Sorry, this is a joke. William Gay is arguably the best open field tackler the Steelers have. He seldom misses the bubble screen tackles. I think he's fine. It just goes to show how good Peterson is not how bad Gay is.

DanRooney
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
William Gay gets run over by AP and your calling him terrible? Sorry, this is a joke. William Gay is arguably the best open field tackler the Steelers have. He seldom misses the bubble screen tackles. I think he's fine. It just goes to show how good Peterson is not how bad Gay is.

:willybs:

James Harrison thinks differently. Not even close.

jackhammer1
10-27-2009, 01:39 PM
JEFF REED SAYS "I just use my shoulder to tackle with. It works every time!"

Brad 69
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
If anyone needs to work on their tackling its jeff reed. Sure he doesn't do it much but
they need to coach him on it in case that time comes again.

LatrobePA
10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
If anyone needs to work on their tackling its jeff reed. Sure he doesn't do it much but
they need to coach him on it in case that time comes again.

Put a set of assless chaps on the guy and he'd know how to tackle I bet! :stirpot:

Just saying maybe he should play for the "packers"!

KSSteelerfan
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM

agreed.....any good DB going against AP ends up in the same end result. Its not an indication of Gay's talent as a DB. The kid is still developing and will get better the more experience that he gets.

K Train
10-27-2009, 02:07 PM
William Gay held up fairly well as a focal point of Minnesota's game plan. He did not, however, hold up well in a collision with Adrian Peterson on a 29-yard pass play in the fourth quarter. "He can't be human," Gay said. "Dude's made of steel." The Steelers held Peterson to 69 yards and 3.8 per carry, easing concerns about how they would hold up in the run game without Aaron Smith.

hes right...at least he knows what he was up against

SteelCityKid5
10-27-2009, 04:16 PM
No Gravity, what part of arguably do you not understand? It...doesn't....mean....he....is ...the ...best....but ....you .... could.....make....a.....case....for.....him. IN THE OPEN FIELD, not sacks or rushes up the middle, Harrison has that down pat.

DanRooney
10-27-2009, 05:22 PM
No Gravity, what part of arguably do you not understand? It...doesn't....mean....he....is ...the ...best....but ....you .... could.....make....a.....case....for.....him. IN THE OPEN FIELD, not sacks or rushes up the middle, Harrison has that down pat.

Gay isn't even arguably the best open-field tackler. Are you kidding me? Polamalu, Farrior, and Timmons are all better open field tacklers than Gay. Harrison is the best tacker anywhere on the field. He is all over the place, not just sacking the QB. I wrote this before, he tackles QBs, RBs, and even WRs. If you think he only tackles the QB you are extremely mistaken.

K Train
10-27-2009, 05:27 PM
harrison is the best tackler on the field....any field for that matter

gay is very good in open field, troy is absolutely not....very hit or miss. troy has whiffed as many big tackles as he has made in his career

SteelCityKid5
10-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Im not saying Gay is the best tackler, I am saying in the open field alone, one on one, speed vs speed. I honestly cant recall when Harrison was put in that position. Im not even here to talk about Harrison because he is one hell of a tackler also. If you dont want me to say on the team then I will say out of the DB's he is the best open field tackler. I do agree with K Train that Troy does wiff on a couple of plays.

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
I dont know about any of you guys but I was sold on Bryant McFadden his rookie year in 2005 at the end of the Colts playoff game when he broke up that pass on Reggie Wayne in the corner of the end zone on an absolutely perfectly thrown ball by Peyton Manning. If BMAC doesnt break that pass up the Steelers lose that game and dont get the one for the thumb that year...That was such a key key play in the 2005 playoff run that nobody seems to talk about hardly at all and I dont understand for the life of me why not...

DanRooney
10-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I forgot to mention this earlier, but anyone notice how annoying tony siragusa was commentating on the sidelines? That fat piece of **** is always so biased against the Steelers. I lol'ed when he said "I don't think that was a hold on Harrison," after James beat his man, was completely behind him, and got dragged down into Favre's legs.

--- Added 10/27/2009 at 09:48 PM ---

Another thing after rewatching the game, the Steelers NEED to cut Ratliff and bring back Anthony Madison. Coverage STINKS.

K Train
10-27-2009, 11:19 PM
i always said ratliff was a terrible pickup....decent returner, awful db