PDA

View Full Version : Is Ryan Clark going to play in Denver?

Blazedby92
10-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Has anyone heard if Clark is going to play against the Broncos or if he will sit himself out?
I don't think he will and I am sure someone can fill in for him, maybe Mundy can step in and fill the void.:crossfingers:

JensK
10-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Has anyone heard if Clark is going to play against the Broncos or if he will sit himself out?
I don't think he will and I am sure someone can fill in for him, maybe Mundy can step in and fill the void.:crossfingers:

Im pretty sure he hasnt made up his mind yet - although i believe he wont. It would be stupid of him really.

Also, if Clark does not play. they'll prolly go with Carter over Mundy.

BlackGold4vr
10-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Its a pretty strange phenomenon that almost killed him the last time. I have never heard of this before but if I were him there wouldn't be any questions about it. Dock him a game check and move on. Much rather have him healthy for the rest of the year! :2cents:

lloydfan4life
10-26-2009, 09:22 AM
This isn't even a decision that Ryan should be allowed to choose. The team should not allow him to play. His well being should be first and foremost.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2009, 09:49 AM
One game is not worth risking an injury like that again for, the rest of the season aside, Clark should be on the sidelines for this game and let the backups do their job, his overall health is way more important. If it's up to Clark, you have to think he's going to want to play though because he's a team guy.

SteelerSal
10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
One game is not worth risking an injury like that again for, the rest of the season aside, Clark should be on the sidelines for this game and let the backups do their job, his overall health is way more important. If it's up to Clark, you have to think he's going to want to play though because he's a team guy.

I agree 100%!
Rather have him sit one game and ALIVE the rest of the season.

Troyisabeast_43
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Im pretty sure he hasnt made up his mind yet - although i believe he wont. It would be stupid of him really.

Also, if Clark does not play. they'll prolly go with Carter over Mundy.

Id rather go with Deshea Townsend at safety then either one of those guys...Tyrone Carter should not be starting on this football team period. I know the Steelers dont have many other options but everytime Carter is in the lineup big plays and bad things happen in the secondary...And to tell you the truth Im sick of seeing him get burned and be 5 seconds too late every single big pass play...

--- Added 10/26/2009 at 09:04 AM ---

The Steelers had better hope that the AFC Championship game is not in Denver seeing that the Broncos are still undefeated and playing pretty good football. Because if it is by some chance which right now there is not a great chance but it's still definitely possible they are going to have a huge huge problem on their hands on what to do with Ryan Clark...That's why it makes it even more important for them to win this game in Denver and win the head to head tiebraker...

cmerrifield
10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I dont care about Clark's season, he shouldnt play cause it could cost him his life. That is all that needs to be said. His life is far more important than ant game.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Agreed I don't think Clark wants to play this game though, he ( Clark )said he was hoping we would be 7-0 so he could sit this one out we are 5-2 i think he should sit this out because of the sickle cell trait he has, the game is not worth your life plus i would like to see Troy an Mundy play together anyways:imho:

JensK
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Id rather go with Deshea Townsend at safety then either one of those guys...Tyrone Carter should not be starting on this football team period. I know the Steelers dont have many other options but everytime Carter is in the lineup big plays and bad things happen in the secondary...And to tell you the truth Im sick of seeing him get burned and be 5 seconds too late every single big pass play...

--- Added 10/26/2009 at 09:04 AM ---

The Steelers had better hope that the AFC Championship game is not in Denver seeing that the Broncos are still undefeated and playing pretty good football. Because if it is by some chance which right now there is not a great chance but it's still definitely possible they are going to have a huge huge problem on their hands on what to do with Ryan Clark...That's why it makes it even more important for them to win this game in Denver and win the head to head tiebraker...

I was not saying what i would like, just what they'll do :P Id like Townsend in there as well, or even Mundy, who i have a lot of faith in. Hell, even Lewis would be an option, but they'll go with Carter cause the know what they have in him, and he is pretty solid after all, at least to replace Clark - They play kind of the same way.

I really don't see the AFC Championship ending in Denver. They play some solid football, but i really don't see them keeping it up for the whole season... but i could be surprised..

Big T
10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
All i know is that i do NOT, I repeat, do NOT want to see Keiwan Ratliff in man coverage on anyone ever again. The lions made him look like a little girl and Dennis Northcutt (pfffttt) beat him for a TD. If Ryan doesnt go, which we all agree he shouldnt, i would be most comfortable with Deshea taking over.

K Train
10-26-2009, 12:26 PM
is he in any danger of that happening again or did they take care of that with removal of his spleen

lloydfan4life
10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I was under the impression he is still in danger. :dunno: for sure though.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
is he in any danger of that happening again or did they take care of that with removal of his spleen

The problem is he has sickle cell, that an the high altitude in Denver caused him to have his spleen removed, the high altitude makes his sickle cell act up so i hope he doesn't play it's not worth it IMO.

scott0326
10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
I think he HAS to sit this game out, his health is much more important then the game vs Denver, Tyrone Carter would probably start in his place. Is it a downgrade? Yes. Is it worth having Clark play and possibly risking his life? No.

cmerrifield
10-26-2009, 02:28 PM

The doctors do not think he is in danger, but they cannot guarantee it. The are not completely sure what would happen.

TampaSteelGirl
10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
He definately should not play...too risky for sure! Nothing is worth losing your life for. Shouldn't even be in that elevation...he should stay home and keep himself safe and healthy. Kind of sucks this game is in Denver though...

Stlrs4Life
10-28-2009, 07:23 PM
He shouldn't, and he shouldn't even travel with the team.

ejsteeler
10-29-2009, 09:30 AM
from another thread....

Clark needs to be suited up for an emergency appearance only. We do need this game, but if we can't get it without him, we have bigger problems.

GoBenGo
10-31-2009, 09:03 AM
I agree with the popular logic. Not worth the risk. But with the extra week he should be able to make the best and most educated decision.
No biggie
we win without him in Denver anyhoo

StlersGuy
11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin is not ready to make a decision on whether or not safety Ryan Clark will play against the Broncos on Monday night in Denver, even though he has been given medical clearance.

Clark has the sickle cell trait and had when he played in Denver in 2007 his blood reacted poorly to the Denver air, resulting in an illness that resulted in him having his spleen and gall bladder removed and missing the remainder of the season.
Tomlin addressed the issue on Monday, and the following is what he had to say:

Has a decision been made on Ryan Clark playing or not in Denver?
Tomlin: Here is the situation with Ryan. Ryan and myself met with a team of physicians on Thursday. He has received medical clearance to play in this football game, so now the decision lies with he and myself. We are going to weigh all of our options and evaluate this thing as we proceed throughout the week. Itís not a decision that needs to be made now as opposed to later. We understand the elements of what he is dealing with. I am sure at some point this week he and I are going to sit down and decide what actions we are going to take. But he has received medical clearance from the docs and that was step one to even consider the possibility of allowing this man to play. His physical health, his well-being is paramount. We are going to attempt to do what is right. We are going to weigh all of our options and come to a decision here at some point this week. I really havenít put a timetable on it at this point.

Is it possible he could say I want to play and you would say no?
Tomlin: Thatís a possibility. Sure.

From your experience, is it tougher to breath in Denver?
Tomlin: I donít have a problem breathing when I go to Denver.

Have you noticed a difference there?
Tomlin: I canít.

Santonio Holmes also has said he has the sickle cell trait. Do you do anything special in his case?
Tomlin: Itís more than the sickle cell trait. There are a lot of people that play football in Denver with the sickle cell trait. Ryan is a unique case where it is the sickle cell trait and a combination of something else, which I am not educated to speak on. But it is the sickle cell trait in combination with some other pre-existing medical issue that creates it. Santonio is not in any unique risk unless he too shares that same medical situation, which I believe at this point he does not.

What do you need to hear from the doctors to allow Ryan to play and what does he need to hear to say he is willing to play?
Tomlin: I think before we considered anything, we needed to hear just that. ĎOkay, Ryan, you are at no medical risk, or no extra medical risk to participate in this game than anyone else is.í He and I have received that, but we are still going to proceed with extreme caution. Thatís what we are going to do. We are not going to hurry the process. We are going to proceed through our week. He is going to take in information and reps and prepare to play in the football game. His back-ups are going to do the same and at the appropriate time we will sit down and come to a decision.

Do you work other guys in at practice in case he doesnít play?
Tomlin: Ryan is healthy enough to practice so we are going to let him practice. We are going to be prudent as well and give other people some reps. Those guys defensively are interchangeable. They are always prepared to play. We play Deshea (Townsend) at safety. We play Keiwan Ratliff at safety, Ryan Mundy, T.C. (Tyrone Carter). Troy (Polamalu) hasnít practiced a lot here this year so it has provided opportunities for those guys to ready themselves for action. So thatís less of an issue than it could be if Troy practiced a lot this year. Those guys have got an extended amount of reps in terms of preparation to be prepared to play football games. Practice is one thing, game is the other. We wonít answer those things until we play Monday night.

Who will start if Ryan doesnít play?
Tomlin: To be determined. I still havenít determined whether or not Ryanís not going to play.

http://www.steelers.com/article/113344/