PDA

View Full Version : Interesting they went with Moore late in the game...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2009, 04:21 PM
So is Rashard really the man here now, does Tomlin have the confidence in him with the game on the line? Mendenhall wasn't having a bad day rushing, 10/69 yds, considering the Vikings are tough to run against but after that fumble they go with Moore instead of sticking with Rashard.

Is there a Steeler RB that can step up and be counted on week after week?

JensK
10-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Benching Mendenhall was a mistake imo. Yes, the fumble was stupid, but that is just a "rookie" making a rookie mistake - have in mind, AP had most fumbles of all RBs last year iirc. Mendenhall had a 6.9 ypc in the game which is better than AP:

AP 18 carries for 69y

Mendenhall 10 carries for 69y

Just saying..

K Train
10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Benching Mendenhall was a mistake imo. Yes, the fumble was stupid, but that is just a "rookie" making a rookie mistake - have in mind, AP had most fumbles of all RBs last year iirc. Mendenhall had a 6.9 ypc in the game which is better than AP:

AP 18 carries for 69y

Just saying..
this^

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2009, 04:33 PM
That tells me right there that Tomlin isn't totally confident in Rashard being able to shake off a mistake yet and come back to be productive. Whether or not that is the case we can't know for sure at this point, but one wonders how they will approach the rest of the season. We have the bye now to sort things out and get healthy but still, sooner or later this has to get ironed out.

I'm glad we have Moore, he's money when he's in the game, but Mendenhall needs reps constantly week after week to get better.

LatrobePA
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM

AP 18 carries for 69y

Just saying..

The coaching this year has been horrid! Sorry but BA was off his rocker this game, did he watch game tape this week? Their left DB's were LAME but we went opposite!

Put Meny back in, POUND the f'n football! This should of been a blow out!

DIESELMAN
10-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Just like when Mendenhall was missing assignments and plays in practice a few weeks ago, Tomlin benched his ***. He came back with a 165 yard 2 TD performance against the Chargers. So if Tomlin wants to send Mendenhall a message, its his job to do.

jpele
10-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Mendenhall wasn't benched because of the fumble,it had more to do with the game situation. we were in a passing mode and Moore is the receiving back.

K Train
mendenhall ran great today even though he didnt get alot of opportunities. the fumble he got a little greedy but it happens

LatrobePA
I uderstand playing it safe, but not at the expense of a key player. Live and learn! He's got to play though it....

HUNT4SEVEN
10-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Moore is money anyways an i thought it was the right move i don't believe that Mendenhall was benched because of the fumble, but he needs to learn to secure that ball:rant2:.............we will be ok the bye will give us an chance to heal up some, I would like to see Fox get some more playing time:yesnod:

Troyisabeast_43
10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
He shouldnt be totally confident in him because Mendenhall time and time again puts the damn ball on the ground and he did it today once again in a big big spot with a chance to put the game away with a TD...

STEELER 4 LIFE
10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Its more intresting to me that he wasn't in the offensive game plan at all. The way the vikings d line gets after the qb, he would be the quick dumpoff. He can make big plays after the catch, but doesn't get the chances. Mendy's our future but moore should get a few rushes - but more importantly some of those little dink passes that he can turn into 20 yds.

dunfbe
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
You can't teach speed, you can't teach the natural ability to see gaps, but surely Mendy can practice holding on to the damn ball, its not rocket science !!:cursin:

igor0190
10-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Mendenhall is going to have to learn a new way to hold the ball. He carries it like Tiki Barber did when he had his fumble problems.

Zachintosh66
10-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Moore is money anyways an i thought it was the right move i don't believe that Mendenhall was benched because of the fumble, but he needs to learn to secure that ball:rant2:.............we will be ok the bye will give us an chance to heal up some, I would like to see Fox get some more playing time:yesnod:

I cant disagree more...

#1 i DO believe Mendy was benched (punished) b/c of the fumble... period... plain and simple

#2 Fox is garbage! But lucky garbage (thankfully). After timmons left, Fox was schooled several times and might possibly be slower than Foote (not good). Like I said in the gameday thread Fox is A+ St'er, but a C- everydowner. A lucky, right place right time C-'er. Thats my honest :2cents:

K Train
10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
fox is not garbage....he is no timmons but the team needs him and he is a thumper in the run game, something timmons will never be.

Zachintosh66
10-25-2009, 08:06 PM
well thats b/c timmons is in the wrong position...

thumper... i started to laugh... kept visualizing Bambi movie

LatrobePA
10-25-2009, 08:19 PM
The "benching" **** is getting old. This is pretty much the kids rookie year playing, you win with him and you lose with him. Keep him in the game and let him fix his mistake...PERIOD!

--- Added 10/25/2009 at 07:19 PM ---

I cant disagree more...

#1 i DO believe Mendy was benched (punished) b/c of the fumble... period... plain and simple

#2 Fox is garbage! But lucky garbage (thankfully). After timmons left, Fox was schooled several times and might possibly be slower than Foote (not good). Like I said in the gameday thread Fox is A+ St'er, but a C- everydowner. A lucky, right place right time C-'er. Thats my honest :2cents:

I agree with #1 but dude #2 is as bad as Arians play calling! Just not true!!

jpele
10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Did subbing Mewelde Moore have to do with Rashard Mendenhallís fumble?
It did and it didnít. The young fellow [Rashard Mendenhall] fumbled and every time he puts a helmet on, itís a learning experience for him. Just a little careless in that instance, we were getting ready to go in for a score and we lost the ball, but also it just speaks to a level of trust we have in Mewelde [Moore]. Heís closed games for us in the past, we feel comfortable with the ball in his hands and the things heís capable of doing not only as a runner, but with some of the blitz pickup things that you might see under those circumstances and of course getting him out in pass routes, so itís multiple reasons for that.

Link (http://news.steelers.com/article/112752/).

K Train
10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
well thats b/c timmons is in the wrong position...

thumper... i started to laugh... kept visualizing Bambi movie

well timmons might be way better suited for a WILL in a 43, but thats not what we run and hes a great pass rusher and probably the best coverage LB in the league....ill take weak run support for the positives he brings to the table

Dee Mca
10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Late in the game when it was close Moore was in their b/c he's a better back out of backfield for the dumps. If Ben HAD to go into the hurry up who would you rather have in the game? Me I'd rather have Moore!

JensK
10-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Late in the game when it was close Moore was in their b/c he's a better back out of backfield for the dumps. If Ben HAD to go into the hurry up who would you rather have in the game? Me I'd rather have Moore!

Moore is a gret back out in the backfield, no doubt about it, but isnt Mendenhall that as well? I think i remember pretty much all scouts saying he was by far the back with the best hands out of that draftclass, which says quite a lot coming from that draftclass with so many good RBs. I think what tipped it was Moore's better blocking skills (so far at least - Mendenhall is really getting there already), and Moore's awareness in the pocket. He is so good at picking up the blitz, but its probably due to lots of lots of exp. which Mendenhall does not have yet - He looks a little lost on some of the more advanced blitz-schemes, but normally he gets the job done

scott0326
10-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Regardless if it was the correct move to go with Mewelde Moore late in the game, Mendenhall has got to secure the ball.

SteelerSteve
10-26-2009, 05:34 PM
The only possible benefit I saw of benching Mendenhall was that maybe it will make him think a little more about holding on to that ball. Thats the only thing I can think of.

TheButt
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I think he got benched for launching himself airborne 7 yards from the goaline.... that was just plain stupid. Being stupid will get you benched.

igor0190
10-26-2009, 08:51 PM
timmons is probably the best coverage LB in the league....

REALLY? Wow, that is a strong statement. I'm not disagreeing, and you seem to know your football. Just saying... I never thought he was "best in the league" good in pass coverage.

--- Added 10/26/2009 at 07:51 PM ---

REALLY? Wow, that is a strong statement. I'm not disagreeing, and you seem to know your football. Just saying... I never thought he was "best in the league" good in pass coverage.

Since this thread seems to be all over the place... Was anyone else yelling at the TV when Santonio Holmes had his long catch and run play? Did you see how he was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread. I usually get excited when a guy is running down the field like that, but I was seriously yelling "tuck the ball" the whole time he was running!