PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall has officially displaced Willie Parker

Big T
10-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Mendenhall has officially displaced Willie Parker

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2009 1:47 PM ET
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has confirmed what Fox's Jay Glazer reported last week: Willie Parker has gone the way of Wally Pipp.

After talking about a running back rotation last week, Tomlin said Tuesday for the first time that Mendenhall is higher on the depth chart.* And it seems unlikely that will change anytime soon.

"It's great to have Willie back," Tomlin said, "but Rashard has the hot hand if you will."

The Steelers are as healthy as they have been all season.*

Troy Polamalu responded well to his first game action in a month, and the team expects to have the entire 53-man roster available for this week's game against the Vikings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/20/mendenhall-has-officially-displaced-willie-parker/

As I have posted many times, I am a huge Willie Parker fan, but this is the right move. Mendenhall gives this team a better chance of winning. He can get the tough yards that Willie just hasn't been able to the last couple seasons. I'm glad the coaches made the right decision.

I'll still be rockin my Willie throwback come game day.

LatrobePA
10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Willie fell on a sure TD, Mendy would of taken it to the house!

The diffrence is picking up the blitz and sure handed has made this easy let alone the pure power!

Captcoolhand
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I have nothing against Willie Parker, but if getting back to a power running game, then Mendenhall is the way to go.....

You would have at least thought that Parker would have tried beating out Moore for that rotation, but even Moore proved to be better in the passing game....:2cents:

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Rushard has earned it that's for sure,seems to be more determined to get positive yards when running. I still think we need FWP and this could be beneficial for him when he comes in as the change of pace back...

PsychoWard
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I am a big Willie Paker fan but i think this is the right move!! Mendy earned the postion and tomlin is looking for the best intrest in the team to win! I also think with Mendy, Parker and mewelde we have the best trio in all of the nfl!!!! it dosn't get much deeper than that. any of these guys could start somewhere in the nfl Right Now!!!

HUNT4SEVEN
10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
It is the right move:clap: Thank u Tomlin for making the right call:clap: Mendenhall earned the starting job, but we still need two running backs, i would like to see Mendy an Moore because Willie just hasn't been the same since his injury IMO.

SteelCityKid5
10-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Is anyone else celebrating the fact we havent heard from that Flacco dude in awhile.. I thought hed never leave

Oh yeah ... Mendenhall is a good call. I like Willie but its hard to make a case for him to start right now.

OC Steel Curtain
10-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Mendenhall should be at the top of the depth chart. He's healthier and being productive, Willie will have to earn that spot back if Shaddy doesnt run away with it.

Big T
10-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Is anyone else celebrating the fact we havent heard from that Flacco dude in awhile.. I thought hed never leave

Oh yeah ... Mendenhall is a good call. I like Willie but its hard to make a case for him to start right now.

He showed up when the Ravens were 3-0 and the Steelers were 1-2....the Ravens have gone 0-3 and the Steelers 3-0 since the last time he was here...He can only talk **** when his team is winning and we aren't...he will be back if the ravens beat the steelers atleast once this year.

Dear JoeFlaccoSaysHi,

Is it time to panic?

scott0326
10-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Rightfully so, Mendenhall should clearly be the starter, I hope see Willie come in as a change of pace back though.

75Steeler
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Mendenhall has earned the position! As much as I'm a Willie Parker fan he just hasn't had what it takes lately. I don't think we will hear much out of Joe till the week before we play the Ratbirds.

:cope:

scott0326
10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Mendenhall has earned the position! As much as I'm a Willie Parker fan he just hasn't had what it takes lately. I don't think we will hear much out of Joe till the week before we play the Ratbirds.

:cope:

Or until Ravens win again...

andyg1984
10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
bye bye willie ..

DanRooney
10-20-2009, 09:29 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2079/80659648.jpg

trend seems to say flaccosayhi is a bitch.

PsychoWard
10-20-2009, 11:16 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2079/80659648.jpg

trend seems to say flaccosayhi is a bitch.

i don't care who you are thats funny!!!!:lol::clap::lol::clap:

Captcoolhand
10-21-2009, 07:09 AM
:duh: I thought this was a thread about Running Backs.......:thinking:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I've always been a Parker fan, always defended him, but this is the right move. Mendenhall has the hot hand, he's a 1st round pick, and the future of this team. Sometimes **** just happens in the NFL and hopefully Parker understands that. I would hope honestly that he saw the writing on the wall when Mendenhall was drafted. You don't take a RB in the 1st round for nothing.

Parker's contract will be up and you can bet your last dollar he'll be gone.

StlersGuy
10-21-2009, 09:14 AM
sad to say I think fast willie's days are numbered now as a steeler... I look for us to trade him or just let him go soon...

LatrobePA
10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
He'll walk, no trades I bet!

Mendy, just protect the damn ball! I can see the Vikes going after it in a big way!!

Lunchbucket
10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
He'll walk, no trades I bet!

Mendy, just protect the damn ball! I can see the Vikes going after it in a big way!!
Mendenhall has earned the spot.
Tomlin will play whoever is most productive at the position,I like the way Mendenhall runs hard with good eyes,but like you, I want him to carry the ball high and tight,it's a given the Vikes D will go after the ball after seeing game film of him.

KemoTherapy
10-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah it's looking more likely by the day that Willie will be allowed to walk away when the season is done. Good luck to him but I find it unlikely that any good team would offer him good money. Might have to settle for one of the lousy teams to get his payday. I think I personally would have Mewelde higher in the depth chart than Willie.

TampaSteelGirl
10-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Love seeing Mendy and Moore for our running team!!! :yellowthumb:

SteelD43
10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I am excited to see how they will utilize Willie Parker now, he still has some good years left in him. Mendenhall is playing at such a high level he can't be denied the starting spot.

LatrobePA
10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I am excited to see how they will utilize Willie Parker now, he still has some good years left in him. Mendenhall is playing at such a high level he can't be denied the starting spot.

Well you count screen plays out of that job description!