PDA

View Full Version : Keys To Viking Game

BlackGold4vr
10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Our best defense will be a potent offense. Minnesota's defense is ranked 18th overall, 24th against the pass, and 9th against the run. We have the 5th best offense and the 3rd best defense. The best way to neutralize AP is to get a lead and force Brett Favre to beat us with his arm. I believe this game will be a shootout and I also believe that Ben has more weapons to spread the ball around to. The pass rush will be a factor for both teams and the team that applies the greater pressure to the quarterback will probably win this game. :2cents:

LatrobePA
10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
the 12th man will be key! Get loud Pittsburg!

I personally think this will be our best game of the year (it has to be)!!

cmerrifield
10-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I agree, and this will be THE test of our OLine, I think they have improved greatly and this Sunday will be the true test. If they perform well against the Vikings Dline, then they are for real. Also, Favre will just start throwing the ball and try and make plays that arent there, especially if he isnt given much time. Our pash rush will have to get to him early.

scott0326
10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
This is a big game, AD has to be stopped, so we can force Favre to throw more then he wants and knowing Favre, this will result in turnovers. I have a lot of confidence in the rush D even without Aaron Smith that AD can be stopped.

The other key to winning is the Steelers O-line vs Jared Allen and the Vikings D-line. Allen cannot be allowed to get to the QB, he has been a monster this year with sacks and forced fumbles.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Our best defense will be a potent offense. Minnesota's defense is ranked 18th overall, 24th against the pass, and 9th against the run. We have the 5th best offense and the 3rd best defense. The best way to neutralize AP is to get a lead and force Brett Favre to beat us with his arm. I believe this game will be a shootout and I also believe that Ben has more weapons to spread the ball around to. The pass rush will be a factor for both teams and the team that applies the greater pressure to the quarterback will probably win this game. :2cents:

I agree i believe i posted something yesterday stating that we have to spread the Vikings out an with Mendenhall we can use him to run draws, delays an screens, I really believe we will win this game in a big way ,we have a habit of playing great against teams we don't play alot:yesnod:

75Steeler
10-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Playing the Vikings at home is the best advantage the Steelers have. We need to capitalize on that and play with everything we have. One huge game against the Vikings and we can go into the bye week and heal up for the rest of the season. If we can keep Jeff Reed out of jail long enough I think we will do just fine. Jeff is good but I don't think he can put one through the uprights from the county joint way up river.
:cope:

steelerfan11
10-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Mendenhall needs to start and play most (if not all) of the game. He does a MUCH better job picking up the blitz than Parker does! Plus Mendenhall can catch the ball out of the backfield and everyone won't be shocked when he does.

coldrolled
10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Mendenhall needs to start and play most (if not all) of the game. He does a MUCH better job picking up the blitz than Parker does! Plus Mendenhall can catch the ball out of the backfield and everyone won't be shocked when he does.

Mendenhall needs to get 100+ yards

The Vikings are +8 in TO ratio. We are -4. That is why they are 6-0

and we are 4-2. we need to play a clean game and the win will come.

TampaSteelGirl
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
My worry is Farve is quite acurate even in mass defensive coverage. I'm worried because i've seen it several times in the Bears, Lions and even the Browns game that their receivers are WIDE open down the field and it turns into a big 3rd down gain for our opponents, I"ve seen us burnt in all of those games over and over.

We must stuff AP 100%. I think we will be ok even with Smith being gone. Looked pretty good yesterday even though it was the Browns but I think we will have a good chance at stopping AP...Just worried more about the pass of Farve than anything but he will look brilliant for awhile then crash and burn......hopefully!

This will be one of our toughest games all season.

LatrobePA
10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
AP will be slowed a bit by his "full body soreness" and to boot his ankle injury. No doubt he'll start, but may not be 100%.

Scorp
10-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Just bring your A game Steelers and you will win.

Captcoolhand
10-19-2009, 04:48 PM
My worry is Farve is quite acurate even in mass defensive coverage. I'm worried because i've seen it several times in the Bears, Lions and even the Browns game that their receivers are WIDE open down the field and it turns into a big 3rd down gain for our opponents, I"ve seen us burnt in all of those games over and over.

We must stuff AP 100%. I think we will be ok even with Smith being gone. Looked pretty good yesterday even though it was the Browns but I think we will have a good chance at stopping AP...Just worried more about the pass of Farve than anything but he will look brilliant for awhile then crash and burn......hopefully!

This will be one of our toughest games all season.
I'm just afraid Farve is going to really show how bad Our DB's are.:imho:

TampaSteelGirl
10-19-2009, 04:51 PM

HOpe not too Cap...we'll see.

igor0190
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/10260/a-sprain-for-minnesotas-winfield

BlackGold4vr
10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Have some faith! We have more playmakers and home field. :yesnod:

igor0190
10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Does everyone forget where we got Mike Tomlin from?

I think his familiarity with the Vikes is going to help us this Sunday without a doubt.

madtowndrunkard
10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I think this game will be decided by the O-line.

The vikings lead the league in sacks. If our line can't protect Ben he will throw INT's, not to mention the likely fumbles that will occur when Ben is getting knocked around, trying to make something out of nothing.

If our O-line does it's job we will win. If they do not we will lose.

Troyisabeast_43
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
The Steelers will focus on shutting down AP and making Brett Favre beat them. Favre as we have seen before can have games where he is just terrible and throws interceptions all the time and hopefully this will be one of those games. I think the best thing for the Steelers offense to do is keep doing what they are doing and throw the football and spread the Vikings out. Flacco and the Ravens did it to the Vikes yesterday in the 2nd half for the most part and the Vikings really had no answer for it. Being at home and everything should help the Steelers have success on offense as well. The Vikings while they are a good team and their record is 6-0 I dont think they are as good as their record indicates. They have wins over the Browns,Lions,Rams,they needed a last second miracle throw by Favre to beat the 49ers in Minnesota a month ago,and needed a missed FG by the Ravens yesterday to avoid blowing a 17 point lead at home to the Ravens. So while the Vikes are very good and it will be a great challenge I still believe they are due to have a bad week and lose a game and hopefully this is the week it happens. If the offense and Ben play like they are capable of and the defense continues to improve and get better like it has been every week the Steelers should and will win this game Sunday against the Vikings...

Big T
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes, the Bears, Bengals, and Lions exposed the middle of the field and converted a ton of third and longs, but there is also another thing all those game have in common....No Troy Polamalu patroling the middle. I can't emphasize enough how important he is to the way we play defense. He is the heart of the D. His presence alone is an upgrade over the other options. Troy playing opens up so many possibilities an opportunities for the rest of the D. I just hope he's 100% Sunday. it won't be easy but I think we have a good chance of winning this game.

Cal Dunlap
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes, the Bears, Bengals, and Lions exposed the middle of the field and converted a ton of third and longs, but there is also another thing all those game have in common....No Troy Polamalu patroling the middle. I can't emphasize enough how important he is to the way we play defense. He is the heart of the D. His presence alone is an upgrade over the other options. Troy playing opens up so many possibilities an opportunities for the rest of the D. I just hope he's 100% Sunday. it won't be easy but I think we have a good chance of winning this game.

Raven's fans expressed the same confidence in Ed Reed. He was a non-factor. Favre knows how to guide a safety where he wants him to go and AD can run by anyone. TP is good and can make some plays but the Vikings have the personnel to neutralize him.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Keys against the Vikings.....

1. No turn overs.....Don't give the Vikings any gifts since they do have the weapons to put points on the board after turn overs....

2. Protect Ben and Ben must get rid of the ball quicker then normal.......Ben just needs to take what the defense gives him this game.....I would dial up a ton of screens to Holmes, Mendenhall, Ward, or even Miller......Quick slant the Vikings to death especially if Winfield is out which is a huge blow......

3. The defense must not give up splash plays........Peterson will get some yards but no long runs that can go the distance......Favre will get his yards to and again no long TD plays.....

Troyisabeast_43
10-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Keys against the Vikings.....

1. No turn overs.....Don't give the Vikings any gifts since they do have the weapons to put points on the board after turn overs....

2. Protect Ben and Ben must get rid of the ball quicker then normal.......Ben just needs to take what the defense gives him this game.....I would dial up a ton of screens to Holmes, Mendenhall, Ward, or even Miller......Quick slant the Vikings to death especially if Winfield is out which is a huge blow......

3. The defense must not give up splash plays........Peterson will get some yards but no long runs that can go the distance......Favre will get his yards to and again no long TD plays.....

I do believe the Steelers will be able to hold Peterson in containment enough that he wont be the reason why the Vikings win this game if that indeed does happen. I really believe the best way to go is for Ben to spread the ball and go 3-4 wide and in the gun a lot of this game. It will give the o-line who is playing with a lot of confidence more time to protect Ben against a tough fast Vikings D, and the Steelers have enough weapons on offense that they will be able to make plays on the Vikings if they throw the ball on them enough times and test them out. As I pointed out earlier the Vikings while they are 6-0 it's a not too very good to weak 6-0. They have 3 wins against the Browns,Lions,and Rams. They needed a miracle TD with no time left on the clock by Favre to beat the 49ers in Minnesota a month ago, and damn near blew a 17 point lead at home to the Ravens yesterday had it not been for Hauschka missing the 45 yard FG that would have won it for the Ravens. My point is I think the Vikings while they are good they are also getting pretty lucky pulling off a lot of these games. I think that luck runs out this week and the Steelers find a way to solve them and hang an L on the right side of their column for the first time this season...

steelcitysfinestXL
10-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Raven's fans expressed the same confidence in Ed Reed. He was a non-factor. Favre knows how to guide a safety where he wants him to go and AD can run by anyone. TP is good and can make some plays but the Vikings have the personnel to neutralize him.

Big difference in the way Reed and Troy dude... and its probley because Reed is a FS and Troy is a SS. If the Vikes use your method of success, when Farve will be trying to look off RYAN CLARK at FS Troy, Silverback, Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, Hampton and Keisel will be making plays. We're not a one trick pony on defense... just so happens the other 10 guys can do their jobs more effectively when QB's have Troy to worry about, LOL!! Thats why we're all excited to see him back!!!

Keys to success
1. Stop AD-AP (under 5 ypc, under 2 tds)
2. Convert/get stops on third Down
3. Try to control BOTH MIN's big O and D line
4. Let Big Ben do what he does...WIN GAMES
:cope:

lloydfan4life
10-20-2009, 09:13 AM
We're going to have to play 60 minutes of football this weekend. There can be NO let down in the fourth quarter. Favre will take advantage of that.

LatrobePA
10-20-2009, 10:31 AM
The way I look at it is, we have yet to play a perfect game, not even close! We've lost 2games by a combined 6 points.

I feel we need to have a near perfect game in all three phases to win.

Extended drives on O and our D getting off the field on 3rd downs is a must.

AP will have a few, but keep him under 100 and pressure the hell out of BF and we win!

memphissteelergirl
10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
We're going to have to play 60 minutes of football this weekend. There can be NO let down in the fourth quarter. Favre will take advantage of that.

:plus1:

Also:
1. Control the clock...long sustained drives on offense

2. Defense....don't let AD and Favre even sniff the Red Zone

Stellablue
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
The way I look at it is, we have yet to play a perfect game, not even close! We've lost 2games by a combined 6 points.

I feel we need to have a near perfect game in all three phases to win.

Extended drives on O and our D getting off the field on 3rd downs is a must.

AP will have a few, but keep him under 100 and pressure the hell out of BF and we win!

Vikings have not had the perfect game either. If our D Backs can pull their head out of their butts - We will be tough to beat. Winfield on the turf is very important. Without #26 in our lineup who knows what will happen

Skol69Vikings
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Is this a low point in the NFL for DBs? Or are offenses so much better? All I ever hear now is our fans and other teams fans talking about bad pass defense. Winfield went out early for us sunday and Flacco shredded us in the 4th.

coldrolled
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Is this a low point in the NFL for DBs? Or are offenses so much better? All I ever hear now is our fans and other teams fans talking about bad pass defense. Winfield went out early for us sunday and Flacco shredded us in the 4th.

it really seems like the offensive holding call is crap now. QB's have more protection and time to pass. im still waiting for the some holding calls on harrison and woodley...

it is pretty obvious they are not calling them.

LatrobePA
10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Vikings have not had the perfect game either. If our D Backs can pull their head out of their butts - We will be tough to beat. Winfield on the turf is very important. Without #26 in our lineup who knows what will happen

Should be a good game, both teams are tough and a perfect game from both will make for some good TV...

lloydfan4life
10-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Should be a good game, both teams are tough and a perfect game from both will make for some good TV...

:yesnod: :iagree:

I've got a bet here at work with a friend who's a Vikes fan. Loser wears the other teams jersey all day at work. :yikes: C'mon Stillers!!!!

LatrobePA
10-20-2009, 01:29 PM
:yesnod: :iagree:

I've got a bet here at work with a friend who's a Vikes fan. Loser wears the other teams jersey all day at work. :yikes: C'mon Stillers!!!!

You'll be fine, I still think #4's LUCK will end in the Burg on Sunday.

Scorp
10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Can't wait to see a great match up. I hope this will be one of the best games of the season. Favre is going to wish he stayed retired. Maybe this is the game Favre really hurts that ailing arm of his. Can't wait to see.

Troyisabeast_43
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
The Vikings defense while it is very good and applies a lot of pressure is still ranked 24th against the pass this season. So if Ben Roethlisberger keeps playing the way he has been the past few weeks throwing the football the Vikings are going to have a very tough time shutting him down especially if Winfield is indeed out of the lineup Sunday. The Steelers as Ive said before in this game need to do a lot of passing and do the 4-5 wide sets more then they usually do. I really believe that Ben can have his way with the Vikings secondary if he is given the time and protection to do so. One thing about the Steelers the last 4 weeks is they have been scoring a lot of TD's and finishing in the redzone. They have converted 11 of their last 13 red zone opportunities into touchdowns during this 3 game winning streak. When youre having success like that putting the ball in the end zone more times then not youre going to win. The Steelers will definitely need to do that this week against the Vikings and put the ball in the end zone as opposed to settling for 3 points more times then not.

Stellablue
10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
The Vikings defense while it is very good and applies a lot of pressure is still ranked 24th against the pass this season. So if Ben Roethlisberger keeps playing the way he has been the past few weeks throwing the football the Vikings are going to have a very tough time shutting him down especially if Winfield is indeed out of the lineup Sunday. The Steelers as Ive said before in this game need to do a lot of passing and do the 4-5 wide sets more then they usually do. I really believe that Ben can have his way with the Vikings secondary if he is given the time and protection to do so. One thing about the Steelers the last 4 weeks is they have been scoring a lot of TD's and finishing in the redzone. They have converted 11 of their last 13 red zone opportunities into touchdowns during this 3 game winning streak. When youre having success like that putting the ball in the end zone more times then not youre going to win. The Steelers will definitely need to do that this week against the Vikings and put the ball in the end zone as opposed to settling for 3 points more times then not.

Agreed - Hopefully we get Ben rattled early

DIESELMAN
10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree with spreading the Vikes D out, early and often. I wouldn't have a problem with starting the game with Ben's no huddle and putting them on their heels quick and hard. They have a very good DL, especially up the middle and the right side with Allen. Our OL will be tested early and often. Arians doesn't need to get fancy or cute, just call a good level headed game, and let Ben and the offense play their style of football.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I would move Ben around alot this game to and maybe even a moving pocket.......

Blazedby92
10-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I would move Ben around alot this game to and maybe even a moving pocket.......

With Ben isn't it always a moving pocket, lol
They will be fine:imho: