PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Browns Postgame Analysis and Grades

DanRooney
10-18-2009, 06:44 PM
QB: Statistically, Ben had an outstanding game. This is only the 2nd time in his 6 year career throwing for over 400 passing yards. He also had a pair of touchdowns and would have had 3 had Hines 'controlled the ball' out of bounds. However, Arians still has him throwing more than I'd like to see. Ben was picked off once on an overthrown ball and had a couple others that were nearly picked, one right in the endzone before Reed's first field goal. Luckily, the Browns don't know how to catch on either side of the ball.

Ben: A-

RB: I've said it many times (sorry Teemont), but Willie Parker is done. I know Tomlin and Arians want to be loyal to our vet, but it's time for one of them to grow a pair and put him behind Moore on the depth chart. On his sole reception, Ben got him the ball with a ton of space in front of him, so we're thinking look out...but no, 'Fast Willie,' like a jackass, decides to fall down with absolutely nobody around him. Its not like he hasn't done this before. Making matters worse, on the very next play, he fumbles.

Mendenhall handled the brute of the work, picking up tough yardage running right into Shaun Rogers. Solid night up until he coughed up the ball late in the 3rd.

Moore did his usual 3rd down work and had a few carries on our last drive...I'm assuming because the coaching staff is a little more comfortable with him not coughing up the ball. Hence why he was on PR duties.

Mendenhall: B-
Moore: B
Parker: D+

WR: A very productive night for our wideouts. Both Holmes and Ward finished with over 100 yards; the latter finishing with 154 and a TD. Ward had 2 drops that could have been TDs, but no complaints after finishing with those numbers. Tone had a clutch reception on a 3rd and 5 backed up in our own territory for 21 on our last possession. Wallace's double reverse was a beauty.

Ward: A- (would have been A+ if not for the two drops in/near the endzone)
Holmes: B+
Wallace: B+
McDonald: N/A
Limas Pee'd: F (didn't dress, but not getting him any benefit of the doubt)

TE: Miller was on fire tonight. Captain clutch caught everything thrown his way finishing with 5 receptions for a whopping 80 yards and a TD. Definitely the front runner for the Pro Bowl in the AFC.
Miller - A+
Spaeth - D+ (for kneeling a kick return with no one within 20 yards of him)

OL: Allowing 3 sacks to Cleveland's pass rush is not something to be proud of, but I'd say only 1 was on them on the first drive where the Clowns brought the house. One was a coverage sack where Ben almost scrambled to the LoS. I actually don't remember the other sack so I'll ignore that. Mostly, it was an on and off day for our line. A couple of holding penalties and after-the-play hits on Ben, but overall, Roethlisbergerhad a lot of time to throw. While not as good as the last couple of weeks, I have to admit, the line is definitely improved from last season.

OL: B-

DL: Casey and Keisel stepped it up big time. Before today, I had not heard Keisel's name all season. Early in the game, he made a nice deflection and almost came down with an INT had he looked up. Both he and Big Snack were getting good push all game. I didn't see Hood out there at all but Kirshke was good enough to hold off the run, even with that wildcat malarkey.

Snack: B
Keisel: B+
Kirshke: B-
Eason: C

LBers: Gildong...er Woodley getting pressure? Nice to step it up after the loss of Smith. He still looks a bit too lackadaisical. I don't know what it is. Farrior had an unusual solid game as well though he missed a sack early in the game that made me grind my teeth after the DOA converted a 3rd and long. Harrison, as usual, was being held (by none other than Joe Thomas) all game with only 1 call in his favor. It amazes me how much effort you see out of Harrison in every play. He's tackling not only QBs and RBs, but WRs as well. All over the field much like Polamalu. Timmons benefited by LeBeau's ingenious idea of moving him OUTSIDE (uh..didn't I post this somewhere before) for a couple of snaps and ended up with a couple of sacks and 2 FFs (learning from Harrison, are we?). Not many sacks, but like I said, this Cleveland group has a talented left side.

Farrior: B-
Timmons: A
Harrison: A
Woodley: C+

CBs: Ike definitely plays to his level of competition. After shutting out Ocho, Vincent Jackson and Calvin Johnson (haha well technically), Taylor goes back to his 2006 form against Massaquoi. Had it not been for Cleveland's inability to catch, this game could have been a lot closer than we would have liked. Gay held Robiskie to a single catch and made a great effort on Joshua Cribb's TD return. Townsend played solid in nickel packages

Ike: D
Gay: A
Townsend: B

S: I'll be the first to admit I was honestly surprised Troy would make an impact that soon in a game. He technically could have had 2 INTs had Clark not run in front of him on DOAs horrible pass. I'm hoping he's not a liability for next week. He's looking maybe 60-70 percent right now. He was drawn offsides early, was caught spying on the QB on Massaquoi's long reception, and blew his assignment covering Vickers on the TD. However, a 60 percent Troy is a better option than anyone else on our roster, especially Ratliff.
Troy: B
Clark: B

OC: Arians called a bizarre game, as usual. I feel he took too many risks with Ben throwing the ball when we could have pounded it from the beginning to the end of the game. I was absolutely floored after our first 2 possessions with the offensive playcalling. A win is a win though.

Arians: C-

DC: LEBEAU did a FANTASTIC job today. Disguising a nickel coverage package on 3rd and 10 into a blitz was amazing. I also liked mixing up the looks putting Farrior and Timmons on the outside on a few snaps. Very good pressure on Anderson all day.

LeBeau: A

HC: It probably just would've been easier to just let Reed kick it out of bounds

Tomlin: C

LatrobePA
10-18-2009, 07:32 PM
DC, Arians?? lol typo!

Stlrs4Life
10-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Very good grades, I agree on all. And Willie Parker is gone after this season. Tooo fragile, and fumble prone.

LatrobePA
10-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Willie was rusty, I understand his fumbles. But agree he's now a BUM and see ya dude, lots off great memories but the time has came!

DanRooney
10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
DC, Arians?? lol typo!

lol whoops:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
10-18-2009, 07:54 PM
lol whoops:yellowthumb:

Man I thought I was having a terrible nightmare!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I disagree with you big time on BA.....The offense had over 500 yards and its not BA's fault for fumbles, an INT which kept the game closer then it should have been.....The execution by the players once again is more to blame.......I'm not the biggest Arians fan but this year he hasn't been the problem at all.......

Big T
10-18-2009, 08:27 PM
McDonald - N/A
Sweed - F

uh, Limas wasnt even dressed.

TEEMONT
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
QB:
RB: I've said it many times (sorry Teemont), but Willie Parker is done. I know Tomlin and Arians want to be loyal to our vet, but it's time for one of them to grow a pair and put him behind Moore on the depth chart. On his sole reception, Ben got him the ball with a ton of space in front of him, so we're thinking look out...but no, 'Fast Willie,' like a jackass, decides to fall down with nobody around him. Its not like he hasn't done this before. Making matters worse, on the very next play, he fumbles.

Mendenhall handled the brute of the work, picking up tough yardage running right into Shaun Rogers. Solid night up until he coughed up the ball late in the 3rd.

Moore did his usual 3rd down work and had a few carries on our last drive...I'm assuming because the coaching staff is a little more comfortable with him not coughing up the ball. Hence why he was on PR duties.

Mendenhall: B-
Moore: B
Parker: D+

I can't disagree that Parker will be gone at the end of the season, barring a huge hometown discount. However, a D+ is kind of harsh. I make it a point to pay attention to Willie even when he doesn't get the ball, and on the few passing downs he was in, he blocked very well. He also ended up with a higher YPC than Mendy, although I'm not much of a stat guy, some are here. The fall down after the catch, well I def can't defend him on that one at all. I dunno how he fell down, and I'm not sure why it took him longer than humpty dumpty to get up. I'll attribute his performance to rust, but even I know I can't keep giving him passes. The fumble by both RB's were terrible and inexcusable. I can understand the occasional hat on the ball fumble, but those were two cases of guys not wanting the ball badly enough.

My grades are the same, except a C+ for Parker, people love to pile up on him, but he didn't play that badly, he just didn't play good.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Yea BG 4 ever IMO the offense has not been the problem this year, although i thought we should of ran Mendenhall more today, special teams for some reason is not that special this year even though Logan an D-Sep is much better than what we had last year, an our Defense just is not getting the job done like they was last year, but we will be OK an as the year goes on we will get better, it's gonna take an 5 star effort next week though an i believe we are gonna give the Vikings their first loss:tt02:

Iron City South
10-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I told you guys Parker was done a year ago and you all wanted to stone me for spouting such BLASPHEMY. He's no better, or worse, than he was last year (he is who he is) .... the only difference being is we finally see what we have in Mendenhall and are eager to get him going.

K Train
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
ive said parker is who he is for 2-3 years now, what you see is what you get. he hit his ceiling a long time ago and is not and will not get any better...and now he doesnt have the speed anymore

Moondog
10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
I disagree with you big time on BA.....The offense had over 500 yards and its not BA's fault for fumbles, an INT which kept the game closer then it should have been.....The execution by the players once again is more to blame.......I'm not the biggest Arians fan but this year he hasn't been the problem at all.......

I agree... a little better execution and the offense has the makings of a juggernaut. :tt02:

SteelCityKid5
10-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Another reason Parker is gone, Mendenhall can pick up the blitz and did you see what happens when they throw to Parker? He gets gobbled up by the turf monster. Mendenhall is more versatile. I've always liked Willie but hes aging and has an up and comer behind him. It would be smart to trade Willie now and try to get something Im pretty sure the Steelers wont do that. Just a thought.

LatrobePA
10-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I hate to say it but Willie isn't the brightest fella you can see it on the field now having something to campare him to. Sorry Willie, you've been poked by the fork and are done!

Blazedby92
10-19-2009, 11:15 AM
did you see what happens when they throw to Parker? He gets gobbled up by the turf monster.

I think he consontraits on catching the ball and forgets how to run, it's like he can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I don't think they can get much for him anyway because if we can see how bad he is then surely the scouts can too.

KemoTherapy
10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Nobody mentioned the old Steelers bugaboo coming back to haunt them with the 98 yard kickoff return . Just when I thought the special teams was getting rid of the Cowher years it comes back in spades.

LatrobePA
10-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Nobody mentioned the old Steelers bugaboo coming back to haunt them with the 98 yard kickoff return . Just when I thought the special teams was getting rid of the Cowher years it comes back in spades.

Cribbs gets us at least once a year!