PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall expected to start vs. Browns

Big T
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Mendenhall expected to start vs. Browns
Posted by Tom Curran on October 16, 2009 2:59 PM ET

Despite being laid low Thursday by "flu-like symptoms" running back Rashard Mendenhall is now expected to start and get the bulk of the carries for the Steelers Sunday against Cleveland.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mendenhall was back at practice Friday and looked "just as he did in the previous two games against the San Diego Chargers and Detroit Lions when he rushed for 242 yards and averaged 5.5 yards per carry."

Willie Parker, who's missed the last two games with turf toe, has practiced all week. So too has safety Troy Polamalu who's been out the past four games with that MCL injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/16/mendenhall-expected-to-start-vs-browns/

I really do hope that the coaching staff realizes that Rashard Mendenhall needs to be the starter for the rest of the year. He gives us the best chance to win. :yellowthumb:

HUNT4SEVEN
10-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Agreed he does gives us the best chance to move the chains on the ground, an he can be the GOAL line back we need down on the goal line, with that being said i see Mendy getting 165 again against the stains..........

Big T
10-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Agreed he does gives us the best chance to move the chains on the ground, an he can be the GOAL line back we need down on the goal line, with that being said i see Mendy getting 165 again against the stains..........

I was thinking in that neighborhood as well, but Willie will be back and he will get some carries. I still see Mendy goin over 100.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2009, 05:42 PM
This is good news, we need all hands on deck to finish strong before the bye, and then get everyone healthy for the stretch runl

Phenomenal TJ
10-16-2009, 06:57 PM
After the Browns we hit must win territory.

scott0326
10-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Regardless of who the RB, the running game should dominate the Browns, but I feel a hell of a lot more confident with Mendenhall starting instead of FWP.

75Steeler
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I agree Mendenhall should be the starter. I just don't want to hear about any more season ending injuries next week. The Aaron Smith thing bummed me out this week.

:cope:

LarryNJ
10-16-2009, 10:27 PM
That's good news! Give the kid most of the carries and let Parker rest more..we are going to need him next month.

SouthCentral
10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
regardless who starts, they should both be able to tear them up. their run d is pretty bad

yinzer
10-16-2009, 11:01 PM
mendy and willie will split carries. it's all good. end of story.

SteelCityKid5
10-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Soothing to my ears :clap:

Sir Blitzelot
10-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I agree with this move, Mendenhall is the more reliable back at this point. It would not make sense to sit him in favor of Parker, when he has played so well in these past couple weeks.

Callax
10-17-2009, 12:39 PM
The setup of the OL anymore is not benefitting the running style of FWP. A few years ago, our Oline could open a hole and FWP would run thru that crack. Our Oline does not make holes like that anymore. With the Bus, no hole, no problem, he'd just move the pile for a 2-3 yard gain. FWP needs a hole or a crack. He does dance around too much at the point of attack and does not see the holes well to hit them when they DO DEVELOP!
I do not think he will be re-signed next year. Mendenhall, Moore and Redman will be the players on the roster next year.

igor0190
10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
The setup of the OL anymore is not benefitting the running style of FWP. A few years ago, our Oline could open a hole and FWP would run thru that crack. Our Oline does not make holes like that anymore. With the Bus, no hole, no problem, he'd just move the pile for a 2-3 yard gain. FWP needs a hole or a crack. He does dance around too much at the point of attack and does not see the holes well to hit them when they DO DEVELOP!

I could not agree with this more...