PDA

View Full Version : Smith to undergo surgery

BlackGold4vr
10-13-2009, 03:59 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/47/478584.jpg

A source with the Pittsburgh Steelers revealed to SteelCityInsider.com that Aaron Smith will undergo surgery on his right rotator cuff Friday, and that he won't be able to play for at least three months.

That leaves the Steelers' valuable defensive left end out of action until the middle of January, meaning Mike Tomlin will have to make a decision similar to the one Bill Cowher made in 1995 with Rod Woodson, when Cowher left open a roster spot until the Super Bowl that season.

Oh ****! This is not good folks. I don't see them leaving that roster spot open because there are no guarantees that he will be ready by then. I see him going on the IR and being done for the year. :2cents:

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 04:02 PM
DAMN!

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 04:05 PM
:banging::banging::evilshake::evilshake::cursin::c ursin::cursin:

Big T
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
No Troy, pass D is average. No Aaron, Run D is average at best. ****....this is not good....damn

SteelTank
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Our D is skrewed.... Ziggy I hope you ready!!!!!!!

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
TIMEOUT... I read on Ed Bouchette PG + that he just got off the phone with Smith's agent and Smiths agent said twice that Aaron will be OK...Bouchette said he was unsure as to what OK meant but his agent said he would be OK. I'm still unsure what to think but keep those fingers crossed!!!

floodcitygirl
10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Well isn't this news just special?! Uggghhhh!

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Bouchette will have more news later on around 5.. ill try to get that up as soon as I find out

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Bouchette will have more news later on around 5.. ill try to get that up as soon as I find out

Thanks dude!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
That's probably a worst case scenario if he does have to have the surgery. Let's all pray to the football gods that Aaron will be ok and that this injury isn't as serious as it could have been :crossfingers:

BlackGold4vr
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I got the information from SteelCityInsider.com website and it was written by Jim Wexell. Whether it is accurate or not remains to be seen. We will soon find out. If he is out for 3 months, they should put him on the IR and seek out another D-lineman to put in the rotation. Maybe sign Ra'Shon Harris off of the Carolina practice squad. Obviously he cannot replace Aaron Smith but then an available free agent that can fill Smiths shoes just doesn't exist. Sonny Harris would just be another body to put in the rotation with the others.

:helmet:

coldrolled
10-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Our D is skrewed.... Ziggy I hope you ready!!!!!!!

we passed malalauguuuuu up for hood....

the bengals use him like a veteran already, hood needs to show up now.

go hoooood....

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
BlacknGold... Yeah I know I saw the same thing but I also read Bouchettes take so I didn't wanna jump the gun, Bouchette will have more news around 5 and I'll try to have that up as soon as he relays the message when he talks to Smiths agent again.... not saying your wrong but it might still be up in the air

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
we passed malalauguuuuu up for hood....

the bengals use him like a veteran already, hood needs to show up now.

go hoooood....

I just told my old man this same thing!

cmerrifield
10-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Not sure how Rey M. helps us in this situation as Smith is 6-5 300 lbs and Rey Maualuga is no where near big enough to play on our line. They drafted Hood because of his size and work ethic. So Tomlin said he is not ready now, but I bet after the bye week, we see Hood in there more and more. He is learning more and more and now he has his own personal coach in Smith.

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Point being why take a guy in the first round that cannot be used in his rookie year??

cmerrifield
10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
The Defense is too difficult and too different to adjust to. Even Troy looked lost his rookie year on the field. Switching from 4-3 to 3-4 is too difficult and takes a lot to learn, especially for someone whose job in college was to get to the QB and now his job is to eat up blocks so the linebackers can make plays. Just like Bruce Davis couldnt make the transition, its too much to ask a player to switch in one year. If some colleges played 3-4 well, we might start a rookie lineman on defense.

BlackGold4vr
10-13-2009, 05:45 PM
If Smith is done for the year (and at this point it is not 100% certainty) then they (the Steelers) will have to go out and sign another D-lineman. They will have no choice. With one of the Hood-Kirshke-Eason trio permanently replacing Smith it would leave only 2 guys in reserves to spell Kiesel and whoever the Smith replacement is. If Kiesel were to go down in a game it would leave us with one back-up to play DE. With two of the above named three in the game as starters. That is leaving that position far too thin! :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Well guys if Smith out for the year then its a huge loss no doubt.....Eason and Kirschke will have step up and then Hood when he is ready.......But one thing to mention here besides the Vikings there isn't many teams that scare me with their running attacks.....Ok the Ravens run the ball well but Rice/McGahee don't worry me like Peterson....Benson had a good game vs the Steelers last time with Smith in the lineup but still its Cedric Benson and I know he is also leading the NFL in rushing at the moment but still he isn't Peterson......The Dolphins at the end of the year run the ball very well but I'm hoping the Steelers really don't need that game and have a play-oof birth clinched at that point....

Richmond Rukus
10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
If Smith is done for the year (and at this point it is not 100% certainty) then they (the Steelers) will have to go out and sign another D-lineman. They will have no choice. With one of the Hood-Kirshke-Eason trio permanently replacing Smith it would leave only 2 guys in reserves to spell Kiesel and whoever the Smith replacement is. If Kiesel were to go down in a game it would leave us with one back-up to play DE. With two of the above named three in the game as starters. That is leaving that position far too thin! :yellowthumb:

Agreed. We absolutely will have to sign depth at the position. If he is out until mid January, I would find it very hard not to put him on IR.

Cricker24
10-13-2009, 06:07 PM
from the PG+ site:

Ed Bouchette on the Steelers
Smith Agent Off the Mark

Written by Ed Bouchette
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 05:02 PM
I think the agent for Aaron Smith was off in his assessment a few hours ago. It appears Smith may be lost for awhile, if not for the rest of the season.

Peter Schaffer, who twice told me at mid-afternoon that Smith was “okay,” has not returned my follow-up phone calls or emails but I’ve since learned that his assessment is dead wrong.

The Steelers will have no official update on Smith’s condition the rest of the day, but I think you can count him out, at least for awhile.

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Huge blow. Luckily Polamalu will be back shortly so we won't have to play without both. If he's out for the season, you can count our chances of repeating over.

--- Added 10/13/2009 at 04:10 PM ---

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/13/report-aaron-smith-out-until-january/

Season's over boys.

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 06:12 PM
The season is over boys?? You're an idiot.

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
The season is over boys?? You're an idiot.

Do you know who Aaron Smith is, kid? Obviously not. This guy is our most integral part to our D. This loss is worse than Polamalu. The only reason our D isn't in the bottom half in the league is because of our run defense, and that is primarily do to Smith's fantastic play in all 5 games. Tomlin and LeBeau made a huge mistake by giving Ziggy barely any reps, so now that leaves us an undersized DE w/ little experience to fill the void. Oh and Kirschke :greenbounce2:

BlackGold4vr
10-13-2009, 06:29 PM
If he's out for the season, you can count our chances of repeating over.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/13/report-aaron-smith-out-until-january/

Season's over boys.

Not so fast my friend! I seem to remember another season where a pro-bowl nose tackle went down for the season and yet we won a superbowl that year. In the 2005 season Casey Hampton missed most of the year and Chris Hoke filled in nicely. Will there be some growing pains? Sure, but to throw in the towel for the season is a bit premature IMO. There are still plenty of other playmakers on this team who will have to circle the wagon and play a little harder. :nono:

cmerrifield
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Smith is the best 3-4 end in the league, but no way is he the most integral part of our defense. The man is amazing, but he is still 1 of 11 players who must do their job. Madden always says the NT is the most important part of a 3-4, others say OLB's. You say Smith. The issue is that this is the NFL, injuries happen and backups need to be able to prove themselves and get in there and play. The season is not over for the Steelers and Hood, et al, will get in there and play. Woodley, Timmons and Farrior are more than capable of picking up the slack.

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Smith is a beast. But look at it this way, the team needed a reason to play with some fire in their bellies, maybe now they can rally around the "new" guy!

Lets try and stay positive fellas!

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Smith is the best 3-4 end in the league, but no way is he the most integral part of our defense. The man is amazing, but he is still 1 of 11 players who must do their job. Madden always says the NT is the most important part of a 3-4, others say OLB's. You say Smith. The issue is that this is the NFL, injuries happen and backups need to be able to prove themselves and get in there and play. The season is not over for the Steelers and Hood, et al, will get in there and play. Woodley, Timmons and Farrior are more than capable of picking up the slack.

Hampton has a reliable backup in Hoke. Unless Ziggy can prove he can handle the position, Smith doesn't. Regardless, we're in seriously trouble against stiffer competition this year.

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Hampton has a reliable backup in Hoke. Unless Ziggy can prove he can handle the position, Smith doesn't. Regardless, we're in seriously trouble against stiffer competition this year.

I personally think Tomlin will have to look outside the Steelers locker room for help!

lloydfan4life
10-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Smith is a beast. But look at it this way, the team needed a reason to play with some fire in their bellies, maybe now they can rally around the "new" guy!

Lets try and stay positive fellas!

:iagree:
This news sucks ***, but our season is definitely not over yet.

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 07:06 PM
You act like I'm your child, yeah I know who the hell he is. That doesnt mean the season is over. Yeah in 2007 he went down, he was hurt, troy was hurt, clark was hurt... not just smith. In 2007 Clark Haggans was our outside linebacker and it was James Harrisons first year starting. To say the season is over is one hell of a stretch. And when you say Hood barely had any reps... what the hell did you want them to do start him over smith? noooo you cant to that. Hood got some snaps in almost every game this season, how much playing time did you want them to give Hood? And when the Steelers drafted Hood, I'm sure they knew Smith was going to get hurt. It's a tough loss to our D but we have better players than 07. Go ahead and get off the bandwagon while you still can, kid.

Phenomenal TJ
10-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Hood's going to have to get good sooner or later, might as well be sooner. Don't count us out until we see what the kid can do.

Callax
10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
This is not good that A Smith is hurt and could be out fot the season, but it is A TEAM!!!
You need depth to win. Having good players throughtout your lineup( depth) is what insures victory!!
Look at gay and mcfadden splitting time
d townsend making plays on D
Hood will have to get baptism by fire at this point unless they have someone else who can step in
Injuries are part of the game
THAT SUX,but it is how the game is played!!!

SteelersWoman
10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I remember the last time Aaron was out, and it sure wasn't good. He may be only one man, but he plays like 2 or 3.

75Steeler
10-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Smith is a huge part of this "D" and it will not be easy going into battle without him, but I wouldn't say this season is over because he is out.

:cope:

BlackGold4vr
10-13-2009, 08:10 PM

I think there might still be some room on the wagon over with the Bengals or the Ravens. If you hurry you can still get a good seat. To want to throw in the towel on the entire season when one player gets hurt just shows what kind of fan you really are.

:imho:

TEEMONT
10-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Its a big blow obviously....but this team seems to play well with its back against the wall.

Blazedby92
10-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Huge blow. Luckily Polamalu will be back shortly so we won't have to play without both. If he's out for the season, you can count our chances of repeating over.

Season's over boys.

:thinking::nono::nono:
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! How can anyone say that for one man and only 5 games into the season. Must not believe in the system.

Ironman
10-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I can't believe half the negative **** that was spewed from "Steeler" fans in this thread. I'm all for discussion, and debating, even criticism (when needed), but injuries are apart of the game, and every reasonable coach understands that. Panicking, and frolicking around with your head cutoff just makes you look like a dumbass.

Aaron Smith is vital to the d-line, absolutely undeniable, but a solid mix of Kirschke, Eason, and Hood may actually provide some production. The D-line is very solid, even the backups can stop the run. Rushing the passer on Smith's side (Woodley's side) may get worse, but this defense should be able to adjust. I don't think the Steelers will go outside of the organization for help, they hardly look at this as even an option. Losing Smith is like a stab wound in the kidney, but it is most certainly not the end of the season in any retrospect. The offense will be forced to be more productive, they may have to be relied upon for winning games - something the defense was credited for. If anything, this will give first round pick Ziggy Hood a lot more playing time, something I am anxious to see, unfortunate it had to come this way.

As far as Rey Maualuga, how the hell did that even get brought up? We needed to reinforce our d-line in the draft, not our LB unit. Ziggy Hood fits in perfectly with our organization, he is very athletic/versatile, and he will be a productive piece to our defense eventually. Unlike the Bengals, our defensive scheme is very complicated, let alone the fact that Ziggy was a DT in college, he is learning a whole new position/scheme with the Steelers.

ejsteeler
10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm worried, Smith is one of if not the best at his position. I'm a believer though. I believed through the 80's so you might also say I'm delusional but, I have confidence in this bunch. They believe in each other and as someone said earlier, this could be just the spark they need to circle the wagons and start an incredible run. :cope:

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 10:16 PM
I can't believe half the negative **** that was spewed from "Steeler" fans in this thread. I'm all for discussion, and debating, even criticism (when needed), but injuries are apart of the game, and every reasonable coach understands that. Panicking, and frolicking around with your head cutoff just makes you look like a dumbass.

Aaron Smith is vital to the d-line, absolutely undeniable, but a solid mix of Kirschke, Eason, and Hood may actually provide some production. The D-line is very solid, even the backups can stop the run. Rushing the passer on Smith's side (Woodley's side) may get worse, but this defense should be able to adjust. I don't think the Steelers will go outside of the organization for help, they hardly look at this as even an option. Losing Smith is like a stab wound in the kidney, but it is most certainly not the end of the season in any retrospect. The offense will be forced to be more productive, they may have to be relied upon for winning games - something the defense was credited for. If anything, this will give first round pick Ziggy Hood a lot more playing time, something I am anxious to see, unfortunate it had to come this way.

As far as Rey Maualuga, how the hell did that even get brought up? We needed to reinforce our d-line in the draft, not our LB unit. Ziggy Hood fits in perfectly with our organization, he is very athletic/versatile, and he will be a productive piece to our defense eventually. Unlike the Bengals, our defensive scheme is very complicated, let alone the fact that Ziggy was a DT in college, he is learning a whole new position/scheme with the Steelers.

That is not possible. Lamarr Gildong is playing worse than Taunto Farrior

TEEMONT
10-13-2009, 10:21 PM

wow...it gets even better....most clever ****o I've ever seen post.

BlackGold4vr
10-13-2009, 10:56 PM

This guy is just an ***-clown. I consider everything he posts as pure excrement. While checking out his membership page I found this photo of him.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YlH1XSlujrQ/Rp4SfaCXIWI/AAAAAAAAAiY/k_uXYEo6x20/s400/AnimatedPooSteamingCLR.gif

Ironman
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM

Woodley showed some progression last week, but you are right it is still not enough. He is required to do more than just rush the QB, and although he has been slowly progressing at getting at the QB, his coverage, and tackling abilities have greatly faltered. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to remain a pro-bowl caliber LB.

Farrior is still solid against the run, and against pressuring the QB, but his pass-protection is declining vastly. He is after all just as old as Tomlin (I think Tomlin has him by a year or 2). Farrior has given us some very productive, and good years. He has sacrificed his body, and an increase in salary to be a Steeler, so I could never address him with such disrespect despite his recent decline in play. He has been an integral part (underrated as well) to this defense for years, something that doesn't just vanish due to his recent performances.

Unlike most of the emerging modern football fans (people who love you one week, hate you the other), I stand by my team, and the players that have helped forge that team's legacy, and identity.

--- Added 10/13/2009 at 09:01 PM ---

This guy is just an ***-clown. I consider everything he posts as pure excrement. While checking out his membership page I found this photo of him.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YlH1XSlujrQ/Rp4SfaCXIWI/AAAAAAAAAiY/k_uXYEo6x20/s400/AnimatedPooSteamingCLR.gif

is that a roasted snake? :lol:

No need to get all offensive, I just don't get why people can't agree to disagree anymore...

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
We cant agree to disagree cause the season is over at 3-2. when I look back on the first five weeks how could I forget??... The Jets were going to the Super Bowl along with the Ravens, Patriots. Green Bay's defense is phenomenal, Jay Cutler sucks, the Broncos got lucky, let's crown Mark Sanchez's *** while we can, Mike Vick will fit great in Philly, the Tennessee Titans will pound anyone in their way with Smash and Dash, this is the year San Diego will win the Super Bowl finally, Brett Favre is too old to play football, the Seahawks will be this years Cardinals, Brady Quinn is the future, Peyton Manning will fail without Harrison and Dungy this year, oh AND the season is over for the Steelers at 3-2.

Just because a team played a certain way a certain year does not forshadow how they will play in the future, case in point.. Smith's injury hurts but the season sure as hell isnt over. Survive each week is all that matters.. throw style points out the window.. It's a WEEK to WEEK league so dont get so damn emotional one week cause the next week your team or in our case the Steelers are very capable of doing something surprising... the NFL is a strrrrange league

Ironman
10-14-2009, 12:11 AM
We cant agree to disagree cause the season is over at 3-2. when I look back on the first five weeks how could I forget??... The Jets were going to the Super Bowl along with the Ravens, Patriots. Green Bay's defense is phenomenal, Jay Cutler sucks, the Broncos got lucky, let's crown Mark Sanchez's *** while we can, Mike Vick will fit great in Philly, the Tennessee Titans will pound anyone in their way with Smash and Dash, this is the year San Diego will win the Super Bowl finally, Brett Favre is too old to play football, the Seahawks will be this years Cardinals, Brady Quinn is the future, Peyton Manning will fail without Harrison and Dungy this year, oh AND the season is over for the Steelers at 3-2.

so dont get so damn emotional one week cause the next week your team or in our case the Steelers are very capable of doing something surprising... the NFL is a strrrrange league

I have absolutely no idea what in the hell you are talking about kid. If you look at my posts, they contradict that the season is over.... and how does all of that other **** you mentioned have anything to do with Aaron Smith's injury??? And why are you pointing this at me as if I am personally pointing this at you??

Silverback
10-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Easy there gentlemen, but does anyone else see Tomlin possibly starting a line that looks like Keisel - Hampton - Hoke. I think Hoke is the closest thing we have to Smith, not that Hoke is anywhere near Smith's talent but probably the best of the reserves against the run.

DanRooney
10-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Relax dudes. My 'season over' post was more or less a sarcastic comment and I replied with a post saying I think the season is over if our backups are not competent enough to fill Smith's void. In other words, if Kirshke and Ziggy look remotely similar to the way Carter/Ratliff are playing, then we won't be able to stop the pass or run.

I'm not a cheerleader like Kid and scatboy BlackGold4vr , so I will not say "oh well we lost our best player on our defensive line, GO STEELERS!" I'm telling it how it is. I believe I was one of the first to point out that Woodley was playing like an assclown, and now a bunch of you guys are just seeing that. Agree or disagree, I could care less.

In all seriousness, we will see if we are still championship material when we play the Vikings.

igor0190
10-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Easy there gentlemen, but does anyone else see Tomlin possibly starting a line that looks like Keisel - Hampton - Hoke. I think Hoke is the closest thing we have to Smith, not that Hoke is anywhere near Smith's talent but probably the best of the reserves against the run.

Exactly.. It will be DE by committee like Tomlin said. Hoke may play 1st downs and in running situations, with someone else coming in on passing downs.

RELAX PEOPLE

greennick
10-14-2009, 01:47 AM

Season's over boys.

That article just quotes the same guy from the first article, so it is no more confirmation than the other one. So, until we hear more, I am holding out hope that he will be back sooner than we think!

Ironman
10-14-2009, 02:53 AM
That article just quotes the same guy from the first article, so it is no more confirmation than the other one. So, until we hear more, I am holding out hope that he will be back sooner than we think!

I hope so, but Tomlin did describe it as "significant". Tomlin chooses his words very wisely, and I think Smith will be out for at least a month and half (nearly the rest of season). But a player with his stature and capabilities, I think they would keep him off the IR even if we would lose him for 2 months. Smith is extremely underrated, but I think the Steelers can compensate his loss with a good mix of Kirschke, Hood, and Eason. I also think Hoke could suffice for running downs, Smith is an excellent run stopper (probably the best in the NFL), but Hoke also excels against the run, although he plays NT. We'll just see. To be honest, I am getting antsy to see Hood out there!

DanRooney
10-14-2009, 04:35 AM
I hope so, but Tomlin did describe it as "significant". Tomlin chooses his words very wisely, and I think Smith will be out for at least a month and half (nearly the rest of season). But a player with his stature and capabilities, I think they would keep him off the IR even if we would lose him for 2 months. Smith is extremely underrated, but I think the Steelers can compensate his loss with a good mix of Kirschke, Hood, and Eason. I also think Hoke could suffice for running downs, Smith is an excellent run stopper (probably the best in the NFL), but Hoke also excels against the run, although he plays NT. We'll just see. To be honest, I am getting antsy to see Hood out there!

Unless we find a guy from FA or make a trade, I see us keeping Smith off IR as well. If we make the playoffs, it would be great to have him at 100 percent.

coldrolled
10-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Point being why take a guy in the first round that cannot be used in his rookie year??

thanks...

JensK
10-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Steelers does that alot, and we all knew that Ziggy wasnt going to play much his first year. No defensive players does that. Hell, it took Timmons 3 years to start. Its just plain bad luck that Smith goes down with an injury...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
When Smith is not in there our DL is nowhere near as good, and our run defense is nowhere near as good either. Smith is the best of the best, the most underrated DL in the league, period. Whenver he doesn't play, we are vulnerable to the run, and that's a fact. There will be an adjustment period and you can bet your last dollar that Cleveland will run right at us this week with Jamal Lewis.

Having said that we will figure out a way to work around it, and the season is not over.

Ibleedblk&gld
10-14-2009, 09:42 AM
just got a text...steelers will sign sonny harris today

SteelCityKid5
10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Ironman.. I wasn't even talking about you?...it was more a long the lines of making fun of Gravity

"oh well we lost our best player on our defensive line, GO STEELERS!"... yeah name somewhere I've said something like that?? I was simply calling you out for saying the season is over after losing one player... I don't sugar coat anything either..

coldrolled
10-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Unless we find a guy from FA or make a trade, I see us keeping Smith off IR as well. If we make the playoffs, it would be great to have him at 100 percent.

he is on the IR

--- Added 10/14/2009 at 08:22 AM ---

just got a text...steelers will sign sonny harris today

the Steelers signed Sonny Harris from the Carolina Panthers’ practice squad.

BlackGold4vr
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
he is on the IR

--- Added 10/14/2009 at 08:22 AM ---

the Steelers signed Sonny Harris from the Carolina Panthers’ practice squad.

Where did you get that information?

Sir Blitzelot
10-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Man, this defense takes yet another, huge hit. They just can't catch a break this season.

SteelCityKid5
10-14-2009, 10:58 AM
BlacknGold... I saw it on Jim Wexell's Twitter page along with Adam Schefter's Twitter page .. Those two are pretty valid sources .. oh yeah and on Ed Bouchette's PG + page haha.. Also I heard something about him saying its spelled Sunny Harris now? I dunno kinda girly if you ask me but, I'll take him. I remember the coaches raving about him in camp but then again weren't they praising Ziggy as well? I dunno I hope all works out alright

Phenomenal TJ
10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
"Tests taken Monday on Aaron Smith's right shoulder confirmed the worst for the veteran defensive end and the Steelers.

Smith sustained a season-ending injury, and the Steelers will place him on injured reserve. Sonny Harris will be signed to take Smith's place on the 53-man roster.

Smith is second on the Steelers with two sacks and first in quarterback pressures with 14. His loss may hurt the defense even more against the run, as he is a major reason why the Steelers are second in the NFL in rushing defense (71.2 yards per game)."

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/steelers-worst-fear-confirmed-smith-out-for-the-season-284693.html

BlackGold4vr
10-14-2009, 11:19 AM
BlacknGold... I saw it on Jim Wexell's Twitter page along with Adam Schefter's Twitter page .. Those two are pretty valid sources .. oh yeah and on Ed Bouchette's PG + page haha.. Also I heard something about him saying its spelled Sunny Harris now? I dunno kinda girly if you ask me but, I'll take him. I remember the coaches raving about him in camp but then again weren't they praising Ziggy as well? I dunno I hope all works out alright

Never been a big Travis Kirschke fan or a Nick Eason fan for that matter. I have much more hope in these young guys to develope some skills. Rotate Hood and Harris IMO. The first two guys are permanent substitute players. We have already seen them the last time Smith got hurt and they got steamrolled. :2cents:

Richmond Rukus
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
pittsburghlive also has an article stating he will be placed on IR. makes sense. If initial reports say he was going to be out until mid-January, who knows at what capacity he could return at that time.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_647939.html

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
yeah just got the text from KDKA that he's been placed on IR :cursin: damnit this sucks!

coldrolled
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
yeah just got the text from KDKA that he's been placed on IR :cursin: damnit this sucks!

its all on the steelers.com site

75Steeler
10-14-2009, 12:08 PM
This really sucks! Just when things were looking up with Troy coming back. Now Smith is out and Ziggy "ain't out of the oven yet" Hood isn't ready to take up the slack. I just hope someone steps up and shows that they can fill Smith's shoes somewhat. Anyway time will tell that story.

I realize Smith is out for the season but I wish him a speedy recovery and I was also happy to hear that his son is in remission. Football is a sport and men will get hurt, games will be lost and there are reasons for that. A child suffering never makes sense.

That is just my 2 cents on the day folks......

igor0190
10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Well Tomlin better start adding some yeast to the Ziggy in the oven. Someone is going to have to rise to the occasion.

greennick
10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Obviously it has been confirmed in the earlier articles, so this is just more of the same.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09287/1005355-100.stm

Defensive end Aaron Smith, who sustained a torn rotator cuff injury against the Detroit Lions, has been placed on the injured reserve list, ending his season.

To replace Smith on the 53-man roster, the Steelers have signed rookie defensive end Ra'Shon "Sonny" Harris, their sixth-round draft choice who was cut in September. Harris has been on the Carolina Panthers practice squad.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Smith's injury will force the Steelers to use a committe of players to replace him, including veterans Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason and No. 1 draft choice Ziggy Hood.

That is how good Smith is, we need 3 players to replace him. :evilshake:

--- Added 10/14/2009 at 10:23 AM ---

Well Tomlin better start adding some yeast to the Ziggy in the oven. Someone is going to have to rise to the occasion.

haha, well played sir

scott0326
10-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow, huge loss, Smith will be missed dearly. I really hope one of his three replacements can at least play average, they obviously aren't going to play the way Smith has played.

TampaSteelGirl
10-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Huge loss!!! I hope he does well with surgery and after. I hate to see anyone have a season ending injury.

TEEMONT
10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Just got a text saying they are expected to sign Sonny Harris

Ironman
10-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I say we go out and sign Bruce Smith.. :yesnod:

http://www.volterraproducts.net/images/celebphotos/BruceSmithNFL1.jpg

BlackGold4vr
10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
If we're going to go old school, lets bring back one of our own!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PEXhdcxiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Last year the defensive line all played well, the backups were able to produce everyone they were called upon; now we need them again. Nobody in the league can replace Aaron Smith, so DE by committee is the only logical way to go about it. Keep fresh legs in there, get the young guys some experience and see how they do. This extra playing time will do wonders for Hood especially.

greennick
10-14-2009, 03:05 PM
After watching SportsCenter and reading a number of articles on the injury, they all call Smith underrated. Surely if everyone thinks he is underrated, then he is in fact rated?? He may not get to the pro bowl on the regular or receive other kudos, but it seems everyone thinks he is most definitely rated.

DIESELMAN
10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Everyone who knows our D, knows how much Smith means to our style of 3-4. Career backups Kirschke and Eaton might do well enough to fill in when one of the starters needs a breather but to call upon them to actually start week in and week out for the next 11-14 weeks and be consistent and reliable is a whole different ball game. Just don't see how they can do it this year when they couldn't do it back in 2007. Never the less, our season is not "over" by any means, we have the talent and the DC to overcome this.....we have no choice.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-14-2009, 04:46 PM
They better go get Sonny Harris back if he's available, this is a serious blow to our d-line an it could be career ending for smith!:yesnod:

greatfish
10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
This is a big loss, it'd be foolish not to at least have some concern about the loss. Smith is one of those wonderful underrated players . . . and another genuine Steeler!

BlackGold4vr
10-14-2009, 04:55 PM
They better go get Sonny Harris back if he's available, this is a serious blow to our d-line an it could be career ending for smith!:yesnod:

They signed Sunny Harris to the 53 man roster today. I have much more hope that Harris and Hood will develope into great players and help this defense than the perennial back-ups Kirschke and Eason. Yes, there is a learning curve for these guys but its not rocket science. Won't it simply come down to whether or not these guys have the physical strength to occupy blockers? :2cents:

Troyisabeast_43
10-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I run into Aaron Smith a lot at Panera Bread sometimes in the morning on my way to work during the off-season and a couple times during the season and he is one of the most nicest, humble NFL players you will ever meet and a true professional. You hate to see one of the hardest working guys on this Steelers team and such a great player like Smith have this happen to him. But that's how things go and injuries happen and this one is very unfortunate. But nobody is going to feel sorry for the Steelers because Smith is out of the lineup. If anything teams are going to test his side even more often now to see if they can run the ball with any kind of success. Smith is always the first one there on run support to plug up the gaps and I believe leads the team in hurries to the QB.

He will be missed for sure and in my opinion it's time to put Ziggy Hood in there and see what he has. You drafted this guy 1st for a reason and Smith took him under his wing in Camp, and he has dressed every game so far this season. So they see enough in Ziggy for him to get on the field. Id rather see him in there over a guy like Kirschke who is 35 and has back problems.

They gave Mike Wallace his opportunity and he was a 3rd or 4th round pick and is playing at a very high level. Why not do the samething with Ziggy Hood and plug him in there and let's see what the number 1 pick who you drafted to play this position can do when given his opportunity...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2009, 05:04 PM
There is no doubt that Cleveland will send Jamal Lewis right to Aaron Smith's side and see how much success they have. I wouldn't doubt that they will hit that side hard all day long even if we manage to stop them early on.

As far Hood goes though, the main difference between him and Wallace is that in Wallace's case he's got 2 accomplished weapons for Ben beside him to pick up the slack. Plus Miller & Rashard as additional weapons for Ben to look to if Wallace is covered or can't produce. With Hood though, if he comes in and doesn't do well it's going to be a nightmare right off the bat. Sticking him in and letting take his lumps when he's not ready probably isn't the best way to go about it unless we absolutely had too. Let Kirschke start out with the most playing time and then rotate in Hood & Eason as the backups to spell him. If Hood or Eason starts to really take control and produce then you slowly give them more and more time. Since Smith is out for the year now we might as well take our time and see who is going to emerge.

DIESELMAN
10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
He will be missed for sure and in my opinion it's time to put Ziggy Hood in there and see what he has. You drafted this guy 1st for a reason and Smith took him under his wing in Camp, and he has dressed every game so far this season. So they see enough in Ziggy for him to get on the field. Id rather see him in there over a guy like Kirschke who is 35 and has back problems.

They gave Mike Wallace his opportunity and he was a 3rd or 4th round pick and is playing at a very high level. Why not do the samething with Ziggy Hood and plug him in there and let's see what the number 1 pick who you drafted to play this position can do when given his opportunity...
I agree with you Troy, afterall he is a #1 pick for a reason. The game is against Cleveland, which yes is a NFL team but not up to our caliber, so plug him in, hit the on button and lets see what he's got.

There is no doubt that Cleveland will send Jamal Lewis right to Aaron Smith's side and see how much success they have. I wouldn't doubt that they will hit that side hard all day long even if we manage to stop them early on.

As far Hood goes though, the main difference between him and Wallace is that in Wallace's case he's got 2 accomplished weapons for Ben beside him to pick up the slack. Plus Miller & Rashard as additional weapons for Ben to look to if Wallace is covered or can't produce. With Hood though, if he comes in and doesn't do well it's going to be a nightmare right off the bat. Sticking him in and letting take his lumps when he's not ready probably isn't the best way to go about it unless we absolutely had too. Let Kirschke start out with the most playing time and then rotate in Hood & Eason as the backups to spell him. If Hood or Eason starts to really take control and produce then you slowly give them more and more time. Since Smith is out for the year now we might as well take our time and see who is going to emerge.

No doubt Cleveland will try and exploit the weakness at the right side of our D line. They would be stupid not too. On the same side we have the genius of LeBeau to cover whoever's *** is going to be lining in Smith's side. It doesn't matter if its Hood, Kirschke or Eason, they will all need help. The comparisons between a DL and a WR can't be compared, not really. 2 different game philosophies, 2 different mentalities and 2 different points of attack. WR is trying to get open while a 3-4 DE is trying to take on as many linemen as he possibly can, so the OLB's can do their job. I say throw Hood in there and see what he can do, I'd rather do it against the shitstains then against the Vikings, he'll at least have a complete game in him when Minnesota comes to town.

BlackGold4vr
10-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Aaron Smith is a great player who was still playing at a very high level. That being said there really is no way to ease into replacing someone who was the best at what they do for such a long time! But this was coming sooner rather than later anyway. Smith is 33 years old and not getting any younger. The team will have to adjust and compensate, that is the NFL. Did we ever really replace Dermotti Dawson? Did we ever really replace Rod Woodson? Or how about Jerome Bettis? Some players you just can't replace, but you adjust. Thats what good coaching is all about. Adjusting to the talent available and putting that talent to the best use to give us the best chance to win. Lots of coaches can look good coaching a roster laden with talent. Time for the coaches to man up and coach around the loss.

While you are feeling sorry for the loss, look at what the hated Patriots are doing without most of the players that manned that defense for the last decade. Young players are stepping up. Good coaching is helping them!

:2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
The worst part about that list of Dawson, Woodson, & Bettis; all of those positions have suffered dramatically in after those players left. We've not had a Center anywhere near the capability of Dawson since he left; Hartings did an admirable job on 2 bad knees but that's about it. Our CB's have been up and down every since Woodson left. Sure we've had some decent ones over the years but none ever as good or close to as good as him. Bettis, well that's the most painfully obvious one. Our Running Game has been sporatic at best as we all know since Bettis left after SBXL. Perhaps Mendenhall is finally the answer there but who knows.

THose guys are Hall of Fame caliber players and not easily replaced with anyone but still the drop off has been staggering more often that not looking back from then till now.

The pats always manage to find guys that can step in and play well, for us it's kind of hit and miss.

Either way though, the backups made the roster for a reason so it's time for them step up and be counted on.

BlackGold4vr
10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
The worst part about that list of Dawson, Woodson, & Bettis; all of those positions have suffered dramatically after those players left.

Dawson and Woodson never won a SB with us and Jerome left us with only a single championship. And you might say that Willie Parker had a lot to do with Jerome getting his ring. We did manage to win two titles in the last four years without the first two guys. So it proves my point that there is life after the loss of superstars! Luckily for us it is a team sport and we have plenty of other talented players.

Could be that Ziggy Hood will use the experience he is about to get and develope into a solid player for us......

Perhaps Ra'Shon Harris will also step up and develope with some reps.......

Both of those guys have the size to play the position and they have younger legs. Even the legendary Aaron Smith had to develope into the player he is now. He didn't step onto the field as a pro-bowler. If these guys can't handle the baptism by fire then I guess the Steelers won't have any doubts about what position to draft for next year!

Makes the season interesting, thats for sure!

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-14-2009, 06:04 PM
IMO this is the worst possible time for him to get hurt. Now we have to deal with All Day AP without Smith. Hopefully Troy will help!!!!

BlackGold4vr
10-14-2009, 06:08 PM
The worst part about that list of Dawson, Woodson, & Bettis; all of those positions have suffered dramatically after those players left.

Dawson and Woodson never won a SB with us and Jerome left us with only a single championship. And you might say that Willie Parker had a lot to do with Jerome getting his ring. We did manage to win two titles in the last four years without the first two guys. So it proves my point that there is life after the loss of superstars! Luckily for us it is a team sport and we have plenty of other talented players.

Could be that Ziggy Hood will use the experience he is about to get and develope into a solid player for us......

Perhaps Ra'Shon Harris will also step up and develope with some reps.......

Both of those guys have the size to play the position and they have younger legs. Even the legendary Aaron Smith had to develope into the player he is now. He didn't step onto the field as a pro-bowler. If these guys can't handle the baptism by fire then I guess the Steelers won't have any doubts about what position to draft for next year!

Makes the season interesting, thats for sure!

LatrobePA
10-14-2009, 06:28 PM
IMO this is the worst possible time for him to get hurt. Now we have to deal with All Day AP without Smith. Hopefully Troy will help!!!!

AP will have to survive a VERY angry Ratbirds D this weekend! I wouldn't be suprised at all if one of these guys gets banged up!

Dean Denton
10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Crap....Well, we cant win every year.....sigh....

Black@Gold Forever32
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I wonder if Uncle Al Davis might let us have Seymour on the cheap....lol But I'm all for giving Hood a shot but not yet.....I would rather see Kirshcke or Eason start with Hood mixed in until he is really ready....Bring him along slowly and let him ease into the lineup.....

LatrobePA
10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Plug Hood in ASAP, he's gotta learn sooner than later!

DIESELMAN
10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I wonder if Uncle Al Davis might let us have Seymour on the cheap....lol But I'm all for giving Hood a shot but not yet.....I would rather see Kirshcke or Eason start with Hood mixed in until he is really ready....Bring him along slowly and let him ease into the lineup.....
Since Uncle Al has such a man crush on speed maybe we can trade FWP for Seymour lol

scott0326
10-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Since Uncle Al has such a man crush on speed maybe we can trade FWP for Seymour lol

Mike Wallace for Seymour and Nnamdi Asomugha:grin1:

DIESELMAN
10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said at his Tuesday press conference that Smith’s replacement at left defensive end will be a “committee” consisting of Travis Kirschke, Eason, and first-round draft pick Ziggy Hood.
Plus we signed Sunny Harris off Carolinas practice squad. Not just the coaches but the players were raving about Harris's potential, especially after a 6 tackle 1 sack game against Carolina in a preseason game. Carolina put him on their practice squad when they offered him more money. Just passin it along :greengrin:

K Train
10-15-2009, 01:17 AM
he was IRd today.

this defense is not a playoff defense without him, not even sure its a playoff team

CNY_STEELER_FAN
10-15-2009, 02:09 AM
A. Smith will be missed on the field, but I'm sure he'll be in the ear of the two rookies as soon as they get off the field. ;)

I'm hoping that LeBeau calls some unusual (for Steeler) plays, that perhaps play to Ziggy's strengths as a pass rusher at first and then just gradually increase his time on the field.

However, I also think Tomlin is under-selling Ziggy, and there is no advantage to have Tomlin overselling Ziggy at this point anyway.

DanRooney
10-15-2009, 02:14 AM
he was IRd today.

this defense is not a playoff defense without him, not even sure its a playoff team

Glad someone here finally understands how important Aaron Smith is to the team. Even though we don't agree at times, you are one of the few that voice your opinion without being a cheerleader. :plus1:

Here's Ben on the loss. "Huge. He’s one of the most destructive defensive linemen, maybe one of the best in the game that doesn’t get the recognition he deserves. He should be Pro Bowler every year. He’s a run stopper. He disrupts offenses and we’re going to miss him."

Ziggy needs to see the field no question. With our schedule, I think he would be able to handle playing at least a quarter or more of the defensive snaps.

K Train
10-15-2009, 02:26 AM
we all know my thoughts on ziggy, i hate him.

however he needs to be on that left side especially on passing downs....eason is probably the best run stuffer we have for that position. jarron gilbert would be amazing to have right now imo but thats long passed

they will run at that side, they will be successful. damn i think loadholt and peterson are gonna have a FIELD DAY in 2 weeks

Silverback
10-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah every time I watch Bear's games I can't help but imagine how Gilbert would have been.

JensK
10-15-2009, 05:12 AM
I say we convert t 4-3 rest of the season. Put Hoke and Ziggy. At least its Ziggys natural posession >.< (please note sarcasm). I think Harris and Ziggy needs to get the snaps - mostly because they will be the upcomming starter/backups, so we might as well give them all the pratice they can get. Since Smith is gone, there is no need to use Eason since its pretty much just as horrible as when Ziggy is in there imo. At least ziggy can get to the QB. Oh well - Lets see. We could potentially go ahead and trade us into a new young guy for Parker and a draft pick or so - Lets face it, Smith isnt getting any younger and while Ziggy could end up being good, it is going to take years for him to be a good 3-4 player. *Shrug* i don't know. This suck big time no matter what

You gotta like Hoods attitude tho:

Yet some veterans believe it is time for Hood to show why the Steelers drafted him in the first round.

"Oh, yeah, this is his time," said linebacker James Farrior, a co-captain. "This is his time to step in and show everybody why they drafted him so high and what a good player he is."

Said safety Ryan Clark, "Obviously, we don't know much about Ziggy being in the heat yet, so it's going to be an opportunity for him to show why we picked him in round one."

Hood, the first defensive end drafted by the Steelers in the first round in the past 21 years, is looking forward to an opportunity.

"Yes, [I'm] very excited, it's an opportunity to play a little bit more and bring a little something to the defense."

He has played only a few plays each game this season.

"You can't replace a guy like Aaron Smith," Hood said. "He's done so much more than anybody can believe. Given an opportunity to go out and show what I can do is a blessing. For right now, I'm just filling a spot until he gets healthy."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/09288/1005642-66.stm#ixzz0TzXtJ3SF

Blazedby92
10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I say we convert t 4-3 rest of the season. Put Hoke and Ziggy. At least its Ziggys natural posession >.< (please note sarcasm). I think Harris and Ziggy needs to get the snaps - mostly because they will be the upcomming starter/backups, so we might as well give them all the pratice they can get. Since Smith is gone, there is no need to use Eason since its pretty much just as horrible as when Ziggy is in there imo. At least ziggy can get to the QB. Oh well - Lets see. We could potentially go ahead and trade us into a new young guy for Parker and a draft pick or so - Lets face it, Smith isnt getting any younger and while Ziggy could end up being good, it is going to take years for him to be a good 3-4 player. *Shrug* i don't know. This suck big time no matter what

Yet some veterans believe it is time for Hood to show why the Steelers drafted him in the first round.

"Oh, yeah, this is his time," said linebacker James Farrior, a co-captain. "This is his time to step in and show everybody why they drafted him so high and what a good player he is."

Said safety Ryan Clark, "Obviously, we don't know much about Ziggy being in the heat yet, so it's going to be an opportunity for him to show why we picked him in round one."

Hood, the first defensive end drafted by the Steelers in the first round in the past 21 years, is looking forward to an opportunity.

"Yes, [I'm] very excited, it's an opportunity to play a little bit more and bring a little something to the defense."

"You can't replace a guy like Aaron Smith," Hood said. "He's done so much more than anybody can believe. Given an opportunity to go out and show what I can do is a blessing. For right now, I'm just filling a spot until he gets healthy."

That would totally be IDIOTIC to switch over to 43 now. One we don't have the rotation to do it even more now that Smith is gone and this team would have to learn a new system which Lebeau would too and the players here are really built for the 34 and then it takes atleast a year to perfect it. NO NEED to give up on the season.

cmerrifield
10-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Part of me thinks that we switch Keisel over to Smith's side since Harrison is really good at getting off blocks to stop the run. This could minimize what we loose with Smith and minimize mistakes by the young guys. That might allow Hood to make some mistakes, but then on passing downs, we would have Hood and Harrison coming from the same side. The rest of me thinks that is a dumb idea. What do you all think?

BlackGold4vr
10-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Ludicrous idea! So which back-up D-lineman is the better athlete than the 4 starting linebackers? Lets trade out faster and athletic for bigger and slower. That might work out if we were running a business in a rock quarry. Let's dismantle the whole team why don't we since 1 man got injured! Lets just say I'm glad you are a fan and not a coach! :yesnod:

K Train
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
43 is a girly defense if you dont get GREAT pressure from the front 4. we dont have the DEs to pull it off. woodley could do it, hes a little undersized but could be servicable as a dwight freeney like DE but then what? keisel is a lazy pass rusher we would have to trade hampton to a new 34 team for a top flight DE (packers come to mind with kampman but they have raji as their NT) cause hoke and hood could be DTs in a 43 and our LBs would be harrison at SAM wasting his ability, farrior at MLB and Timmons at WILL cause thats his natural position....then the coverages would be different.

just seems like a terrible idea and all around unneccsary overhaul 5 games into the season

LatrobePA
10-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Like our oline last year, this D-line will need time to gel. The last thing you'd want is a major change like this!

ejsteeler
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I can hear the "homer!" shouts now but, I am not ready to give up this season. Strange things happen in circumstances like this for good or bad. I'm on a wait and see approach and believing in my team. :yellowthumb: :cope:

BlackGold4vr
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I can hear the "homer!" shouts now but, I am not ready to give up this season. Strange things happen in circumstances like this for good or bad. I'm on a wait and see approach and believing in my team. :yellowthumb: :cope:

Spoken like a "real" fan! I agree. Every season will have its challenges, that is the nature of this game we all love. Far too much talent, leadership, and character on this team to mail in the season after one player gets hurt.

K Train
10-15-2009, 02:28 PM
lol so im not a real fan?

maybe im just a realistic one

ejsteeler
10-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Spoken like a "real" fan! I agree. Every season will have its challenges, that is the nature of this game we all love. Far too much talent, leadership, and character on this team to mail in the season after one player gets hurt.

Well that's funny, but I don't see you mentioned in the post. Why do you think you are not a "real" fan? :greengrin:

BlackGold4vr
10-15-2009, 02:42 PM

I guess if the shoes fits, by all means put it on! If the season is over for you because we lost a single player, then I guess we will see you next year. :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not going to question anybodies loyalty to the team since they offered an opinion....That is really silly........No doubt Aaron Smith is a huge blow and will be missed but he is gone for the year so there is nothing we can do about it....But I think its pre-mature to write off the season....I'm not being a cheerleader but just stating a fact.....

I remember 2004 when Hampton was lost for the year and the doom gloom started.....Casey Hampton out was a huge blow and Chris Hoke came in and did a very good job.......So maybe Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke will surprise and hold the fort down with some Hood mixed in....They won't be Aaron Smith but I don't think the season is lost yet.....Chris Hoke can also fill in at DE if needed........

I'm hoping the offense explodes and carries the team.....If they can then that will also take some the pressure off a defense without Aaron Smith.....I realize how the defense suffered without Smith in 2007....They stunk but remember the 2007 defense didn't have as much talent as this current one.....Eason stunk in 2007 but was solid last year....Plus Woodley over Haggans is an upgrade......Hopefully Troy can comeback and isn't the injury plagued Troy of 2007 when injuries took a toll on him all season....

K Train
10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
hoke couldnt pay DE, hes just not athletic enough...hes got the stones to hold his own at NT but he would be blown up on the end. i hope evander can be servicable and i agree about eason....hes a great athlete and seems to "get it" lately but i wouldnt want to rely on him too much.

this offense is spectacular and might need to carried the team just like the defense seemed to do last season. i was NOT impressed at all with the defense with smith, i cant see it doing anything close to remotely better without him. imo hes the most important member of the defense

Troyisabeast_43
10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm not going to question anybodies loyalty to the team since they offered an opinion....That is really silly........No doubt Aaron Smith is a huge blow and will be missed but he is gone for the year so there is nothing we can do about it....But I think its pre-mature to write off the season....I'm not being a cheerleader but just stating a fact.....

I remember 2004 when Hampton was lost for the year and the doom gloom started.....Casey Hampton out was a huge blow and Chris Hoke came in and did a very good job.......So maybe Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke will surprise and hold the fort down with some Hood mixed in....They won't be Aaron Smith but I don't think the season is lost yet.....Chris Hoke can also fill in at DE if needed........

I'm hoping the offense explodes and carries the team.....If they can then that will also take some the pressure off a defense without Aaron Smith.....I realize how the defense suffered without Smith in 2007....They stunk but remember the 2007 defense didn't have as much talent as this current one.....Eason stunk in 2007 but was solid last year....Plus Woodley over Haggans is an upgrade......Hopefully Troy can comeback and isn't the injury plagued Troy of 2007 when injuries took a toll on him all season....

Im with you 32 that for anybody to come on here and say this season is a total wash and over is a complete joke. Like you mentioned this defense now with Woodley and Harrison playing much much better then they were back in 2007 along with Timmons is a much better and a much quicker defense then it was in 2007. There is still a lot of talent on that defense. No doubt losing Smith will hurt and it will take a lot to replace him. But I feel in time that Ziggy Hood will step in and take over the starting job for Kirschke and Eason. He has the right mindset and the right kind of work ethic and attitude that I believe if he just plays his game that things will take care of themselves and he will be starting full time come mid-November.

This season is far from over and as long as Ben stays healthy and continues to play at the high level he currently has done through 5 games and Troy comes back and makes this defense alot better which he should and everybody else steps there game up for Aaron Smith then this Steelers team will be right there in the thick of everything come November and December when it really starts to matter.

K Train
10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
never said total wash, but this is not a playoff caliber defense without him. so far this defense is a shadow of what it was last year

Black@Gold Forever32
10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
never said total wash, but this is not a playoff caliber defense without him. so far this defense is a shadow of what it was last year

I agree with you the defense isn't close to last years level at all even with Smith....But there is still a ton of talent on that defense and has more talent overall on this unit then the one in 2007 when Smith went down the last time.....

I disagree on Hoke and think he could play DE...You're right he isn't the most athletic guy but you said yourself he has the stones and really 3-4 DE's need the stones to play the position....I'm not saying he will be a fulltime starter as a 3-4 DE....But I could see him getting some snaps there on running downs......I'm hoping Eason logs most of the snaps to save some of the load for Kirschke.....Kirschke has a bad back and who knows what more snaps for him is going to do to that bad back of his......So Ziggy better get ready and learn this defense fast since he will be called up sooner rather then later.......

DanRooney
10-15-2009, 08:34 PM
I just hope the offense can score at will like it has been the last couple of weeks against tougher opponents. If Ben can continue playing at an MVP-level, the loss of Smith won't hurt us as bad. We will just need other key players on D (Gildong and Taunto Farrior, particularly) to play to their full potential.

JensK
10-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Ludicrous idea! So which back-up D-lineman is the better athlete than the 4 starting linebackers? Lets trade out faster and athletic for bigger and slower. That might work out if we were running a business in a rock quarry. Let's dismantle the whole team why don't we since 1 man got injured! Lets just say I'm glad you are a fan and not a coach! :yesnod:

Lets just say im happy i can read :) I did say PLEASE NOTE SARCASME! :) So before you all start calling me out as a jerk, do read my post again, thank you :)

igor0190
10-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Why would anyone even address the comment that our season is over. Don't waste your time.

LatrobePA
10-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Why would anyone even address the comment that our season is over. Don't waste your time.

The injury bug has taken a nip at us early this season. This is a good thing (the early part), lets get as healthy as we can there are a lot of games left!

I still think Coach T looks outside for a vet DE....Just thinking!!

TEEMONT
10-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Getting Troy back is going to be huge for them IMO, since we are going to see alot of runs to Smith's side now, we are going to need a SS with that closing speed. The good thing about his injury (Troy) is he won't really feel the effects of it once its healed. He should be playing at full speed by next week. Just speaking from experience on that one, although my full speed was no where near Troy's full speed.

K Train
10-16-2009, 02:23 PM
yeah sprains dont linger, once they are healed they are healed....i just hope hes at 100% cause playing on 80 could just be a big setback

Blazedby92
10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I still think Coach T looks outside for a vet DE....Just thinking!![/QUOTE]

Is there any good 34 DE out there?