PDA

View Full Version : Two rumors to ponder

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I was in the PG chat today with Ed Bouchette and I saw these two scenarios come up a couple of times (I don't know the veracity of these scenarios so calm down)

1) "Limas Sweed is on the trading block"

2) "The Steelers are looking into trading for Oakland Raiders DB Nnamdi Asomugha"

__________________________________________________ _______________

Given their history, I doubt the Steelers would actually commit to these trades. I just thought it was something interesting to point out. Ed Bouchette wondered if they got that information from the same site that said Hampton would be cut. I agree, although I think Asomugha would be a HUGE upgrade but, given his talent we would need to give up a lot which I for one am not for.

:thinking:

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I heard the same thing! Oct 20th trade deadline, Sweed has been added to the list....

BlackGold4vr
10-13-2009, 02:32 PM
There is no way that you give up on a player that quickly. Sweed has not had enough chances to discard him yet. If you traded him now there would be no value for him. Then he blossoms on another team and you turn out looking like an ***. He has shown the propensity for getting wide open and in time I still believe he will hold onto the ball. Don't forget that Hines is in the twilight of his career. Yes, Mike Wallace has picked things up faster and has surpassed Sweed on the depth chart, but I'm not ready to give up on the Sweed yet.

Asomugha is a great talent but the cost would be too great to aquire him. You can bet that if the Raiders were shopping this guy there are teams like the Cowboys who would be at the front of the line. :yesnod:

igor0190
10-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Do we have the money to pay Asomugha? Al Davis was reported to have already been contacting teams after week 4. He's going to make another stupid trade before the deadline, and if the Steelers can take advantage of that somehow, we should.
Oakland has some talented players that just need a different atmosphere and some coaching.

Troyisabeast_43
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
There is no way that you give up on a player that quickly. Sweed has not had enough chances to discard him yet. If you traded him now there would be no value for him. Then he blossoms on another team and you turn out looking like an ***. He has shown the propensity for getting wide open and in time I still believe he will hold onto the ball. Don't forget that Hines is in the twilight of his career. Yes, Mike Wallace has picked things up faster and has surpassed Sweed on the depth chart, but I'm not ready to give up on the Sweed yet.

Asomugha is a great talent but the cost would be too great to aquire him. You can bet that if the Raiders were shopping this guy there are teams like the Cowboys who would be at the front of the line. :yesnod:

Sweed has to catch the ball then it's really that simple. You think that drop he had in the Bengals game doesnt loom large now after the Bengals have now gone 3-0 in the division and just beat the Ravens the other day?? That drop for all practical purposes costs the Steelers that football game in Cincinnati because had he held onto it the game probably gets put out of reach. He did it again the other day the Steelers went to him right away on 3rd down the first series of the game and what does he do?? He drops the ball that would have been a first down. Now it would have been a tough catch but still a catch that when youre in Sweed's position you have too and need too make...Sweed will continue to get chances I believe but Tomlin you gotta believe is fed up with Sweed continually dropping the ball time and time again when he gives him another opportunity to redeem himself.

--- Added 10/13/2009 at 02:10 PM ---

Do we have the money to pay Asomugha? Al Davis was reported to have already been contacting teams after week 4. He's going to make another stupid trade before the deadline, and if the Steelers can take advantage of that somehow, we should.
Oakland has some talented players that just need a different atmosphere and some coaching.

At this point Id trade Limas Sweed for him as part of that deal if that's what they wanted...This defense now with Aaron Smith potentially being out for a long period of time could use a talent shut down corner like Asomugha to go along with the return of Troy. The Steelers secondary would then dramatically improve over night just like that. The Steelers dont need Limas Sweed at least this season thus far to be successful on offense and score points. If they lose him or dont play him the offense will continue to be just fine and not drop off hardly if any at all...

OC Steel Curtain
10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
sweed=fred gibson?

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
No way is Sweed in the same sentence as Fred Gibson. At least Sweed has talent and plays. He has to somehow fix the drops and he can be a good receiver in this league. I still don't give up on him yet, too much talent. Where the hell is Gibson right now?

Big T
10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Nnamdi is the best corner in the league... He is a monster. Having Nnamdi and Ike, no one could throw on us. That said, I don't think there is any way the Nnamdi trade happens. 1) it would cost WAY too much money to sign him 2) what we would we trade for him?

If Limas gets traded I will be more than extremely pissed. Recievers need time, and with time, he could be a monster...don't do it Mike.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
There's no way this is true at this point, especially the potential trade for Nnamdi. The dude is one of the best in the league, we couldn't afford to bring him to town even if we were interested.

As far as Sweed goes, Tomlin isn't going to trade a 2nd round player in only his second year here people; no way, no how.

coldrolled
10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I was in the PG chat today with Ed Bouchette and I saw these two scenarios come up a couple of times (I don't know the veracity of these scenarios so calm down)

2) "The Steelers are looking into trading for Oakland Raiders DB Nnamdi Asomugha"

Given their history, I doubt the Steelers would actually commit to these trades. I just thought it was something interesting to point out. Ed Bouchette wondered if they got that information from the same site that said Hampton would be cut. I agree, although I think Asomugha would be a HUGE upgrade but, given his talent we would need to give up a lot which I for one am not for.

:thinking:

wouldnt the trade be for RB Parker....

the Raiders need a running back.

next tuesday is the deadline.

Big T
10-13-2009, 03:47 PM

:reddevil:

I would normally say that there is NO WAY that would ever happen but seeing as how it is Al Davis and his obsession with speed along with his terrible drafting, I wouldn't put it past Al. I'm a huge Willie Parker fan, but if that could happen, I would be 150% for it.

But like I said, there is no way that trade happens.

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I got it, BA, Willie, Sweed - Trade them all!! lol

Zachintosh66
10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha would look sweet in Black and Gold... Id trade both FWP and Limas "drop em" Sweed :lol:

cmerrifield
10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
It wouldnt surprise me if Sweed was on the trading block, but that would mean the front office would have confidence that they can resign Holmes, otherwise, if there is any doubt, they will keep Sweed just in case Holmes wants too much money.

Blazedby92
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I got it, BA, Willie, Sweed - Trade them all!! lol
:cope::plus1::plus1::plus1:

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I would trade GWP, Really Gay, and Jason Gildong for Asomugha at this point

Big T
10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I would trade GWP, Really Gay, and Jason Gildong for Asomugha at this point

Wow...you come up with all those nicknames by yourself? So you are ready to trade LaMarr already huh? Come on bro....

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow...you come up with all those nicknames by yourself? So you are ready to trade LaMarr already huh? Come on bro....

With the way he's playing, why not? ZERO impact in 4 games.

Timmons would move over to OLB and Fox would takeover Timmons spot at ILB. There would be no dropoff and probably an upgrade at both positions. Put a shutdown corner opposite Ike and our D would be unstoppable.

kgreen
10-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Having another great CB would be nice, but what would be the good in trading FWP? Isn't the whole point of having him and Mendenhall so that we can have a change of pace? Trading Willie would just negate I mean I like Moore, but I don't think he can share the load with Mendenhall. He is more of a role player. Just let William Gay grow and develop in our defense.

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Having another great CB would be nice, but what would be the good in trading FWP? Isn't the whole point of having him and Mendenhall so that we can have a change of pace? Trading Willie would just negate I mean I like Moore, but I don't think he can share the load with Mendenhall. He is more of a role player. Just let William Gay grow and develop in our defense.

Let's see. The good in trading GWP:

1. We won't start drives with no gains or 2 yard losses
2. We will have the ability to close out games running the ball
3. We won't have a RB out there who can't catch/block
4. He's in his contract year so we'll actually receive something for him instead of just letting him going into free agency
5. We have a developing young RB on the practice squad that can fill Parker's void

Phenomenal TJ
10-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm all for trading Willie Parker to be honest. He's lost so much since his numerous injuries,and turf toe's just going to nag him all season long just like with LT.

Woodley, I'm not ready to give up on, Harrison was in a slump for a minute there as well, he had three sacks up to the Detroit game, when he matched that total.

Sweed, I'm willing to give up on. If he could catch, with his height, he'd be a killer at the goal line. But alas his hands leave much to be desired and Mike Wallace has already proven to be better than him.

As for Asomugha, I'd LOVE to have him and I've tossed that idea around a few times with some friends. I don't really see it happening, because for starters, McFadden will be back in the Oakland lineup within a month and a half, and their season is already over so adding Parker to play with McFadden, Bush, and Fargas is just going to cause problems.

And if Asomugha had really wanted out of Oakland, he wouldn't have signed that contract.

Though if we could work something out like:

PIT Sends:

W. Parker
W. Gay
L. Sweed

OAK Sends
N. Asomugha
M. Bush

Then I'd be happy. I dont' see it coming to fruition, but we can dream.

Big T
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Like I said before....it's way to early to give up on Limas. Reciever is one of, if not the toughest, position to make the transition from college to pros. I know there are some guys that can make the transition smoothly but the majority of Wide recievers need time and reps to develop.

In most of the cases where recievers come in in make an immediate impact, it's because they have to contribute and they get those reps in practice and in games. I believe the main reason is lack of reps. If this team didn't have recievers and he had to step up at 1 or 2, he could, just because of reps ad rhythm. Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, even Lynn Swann, it took all of them time to develop. He's running his routes right and getting open, he's just having some concentration problems.

It can be fixed. Just be patient. Give the kid time.

igor0190
10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Only reason anyone is talking about a trade with the Raiders is that there is a real potential to rip them off. That being said the only guys that would interest me would be a Richard Seymour, Justin Fargas, and maybe Michael Huff. It would have to be for FWP, Ryan Clark... Someone we don't have signed. And of course the Raiders would give us a draft pick as well, because that's what they do.

Forged in Steel
10-13-2009, 09:02 PM

Both are very good moves the Steelers can make, but we all know the move that must be made...

Scorp
10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
There is no way that you give up on a player that quickly. Sweed has not had enough chances to discard him yet. If you traded him now there would be no value for him. Then he blossoms on another team and you turn out looking like an ***. He has shown the propensity for getting wide open and in time I still believe he will hold onto the ball. Don't forget that Hines is in the twilight of his career. Yes, Mike Wallace has picked things up faster and has surpassed Sweed on the depth chart, but I'm not ready to give up on the Sweed yet.:

I agree with you. That is exactly how i feel about Sweed. Let's keep the Towel waving for Sweed.

JensK
10-14-2009, 05:53 AM
While i am having a VERY hard time seeing N. Asomugha coming to pittsburgh, just try to close your eyes and imagine what it would be like to have Ike Taylor and N. Asomugha as corners with Troy and Clark as safeties. That would be near unstopable... I am not giving up on Sweed just yet, but seriously, if they want to trade N. Asomugha for Sweed and Willie, be my guest - That would be the best trade steelers ever made.

coldrolled
10-14-2009, 06:30 AM
2. We will have the ability to close out games running the ball

BA forgot this one on sunday. mendy watched the 2nd half.

maybe the trade should be BA and FWP ....

Richmond Rukus
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Timmons would move over to OLB and Fox would takeover Timmons spot at ILB. There would be no dropoff and probably an upgrade at both positions. Put a shutdown corner opposite Ike and our D would be unstoppable.

Trading Woodley would be a complete moronic move 5 games through a season following a dominant 08 campaign. There is 0 chance of that happening.

TampaSteelGirl
10-14-2009, 12:14 PM

I would believe this one before I would beleive Sweed is done in Pittsburgh. while I love Willie, Mendy has proved to be a beast!! :yellowthumb:

greennick
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM

He played much better last week. He'll come good, don't worry about. Most of the team started slow and without Troy in he backfield, they haven't been making QB's hang on to the ball as long.

--- Added 10/14/2009 at 01:11 PM ---

While i am having a VERY hard time seeing N. Asomugha coming to pittsburgh, just try to close your eyes and imagine what it would be like to have Ike Taylor and N. Asomugha as corners with Troy and Clark as safeties. That would be near unstopable... I am not giving up on Sweed just yet, but seriously, if they want to trade N. Asomugha for Sweed and Willie, be my guest - That would be the best trade steelers ever made.

It would be sack central as it would take a ridiculously long time for the QB to find an open receiver.

Callax
10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Nnamdi is the best corner in the league... He is a monster. Having Nnamdi and Ike, no one could throw on us. That said, I don't think there is any way the Nnamdi trade happens. 1) it would cost WAY too much money to sign him 2) what we would we trade for him?

If Limas gets traded I will be more than extremely pissed. Recievers need time, and with time, he could be a monster...don't do it Mike.

What do we have to trade to Oakland that they need??
RB's?? they have 3 very good RB's, just a lousy OL to make little holes...
QB?? Batch???? He'll be better than Russell for 2 more years then he'll retire...
Polamalu???
THAT IS A KISS YOUR SISTER TRADE
giving away nearly what you are getting back....
Big Ben??
2 WORDS....
NOT AND NEVER!!!!

LatrobePA
10-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Cough cough Dixon cough cough!

Stlrs4Life
10-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I agree, there is no way we fit him under our salary cap.

scott0326
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
What do we have to trade to Oakland that they need??
RB's?? they have 3 very good RB's, just a lousy OL to make little holes...
QB?? Batch???? He'll be better than Russell for 2 more years then he'll retire...
Polamalu???
THAT IS A KISS YOUR SISTER TRADE
giving away nearly what you are getting back....
Big Ben??
2 WORDS....
NOT AND NEVER!!!!

Draft picks? I don't see any player Oakland would be interested in that is actually available, unless for some reason their interested in Dennis Dixon and with how bad Russell has been its possible...

Im not surprised Sweed is on trade block, he probably would net much, Id just keep him for now and hopefully he eventually comes around.

Hm, interesting. This guy is the definition of a shut down corner... But what exactly would Al Davis be interested in? Earlier in my post I mentioned Dennis maybe? I honestly have no idea though, maybe he'll make another stupid trade and Steelers can take advantage. That would be awesome.

cmerrifield
10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
We are out of cap room and Asomugha is going to make 15 million a year, the only player we have making that money is Big Ben, so there is no way that could happen.

scott0326
10-14-2009, 07:30 PM
We are out of cap room and Asomugha is going to make 15 million a year, the only player we have making that money is Big Ben, so there is no way that could happen.

I didn't realize his contract was that big, excellent point.

lloydfan4life
10-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Post removed.

Dude, I called you out once already. Stop being a douche and posting your spam all over the place.

Silverback
10-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah theres no way FWP gets traded anywhere close to straight up for NA. It would have to be FWP and a bundle of picks, but this all seems unlikely.

TampaSteelGirl
10-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Cough cough Dixon cough cough!

You can't be serious?????

scott0326
10-15-2009, 02:03 PM
You can't be serious?????

Well, Al Davis does love fast players.

Dean Denton
10-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I would love to see Nnamdi Asomugha in a Steeler uniform....

K Train
10-15-2009, 05:23 PM
nnamdi would be sensational in our defense. ike taylor as a #2 cb would be absolutely devastating for WRs.

that being said i believed vick rumors more than this

cant see sweed going anywhere, his value doesnt really exist....yet.

also richard seymour to replace aaron smith would be borderline delicious...imo thats replacing the best 34end with the second best 34end that can also play nose