PDA

View Full Version : Injuries per Tomlin's presser

yinzer
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Troy/Willie: back to practice
Kemo: good to go
Essex/Frazier: limited
Kirschke: tight back/limited

AND THE BIG ONE: Aaron smith with a "significant" shoulder injury! tomlin didn't give details but said the injury was "significant." NOT friggin good, guys. not good.

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Troy/Willie: back to practice
Kemo: good to go
Essex/Frazier: limited
Kirschke: tight back/limited

AND THE BIG ONE: Aaron smith with a "significant" shoulder injury! tomlin didn't give details but said the injury was "significant." NOT friggin good, guys. not good.

Does this mean Hood will be the starter should Smith be out a while??

yinzer
10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Does this mean Hood will be the starter should Smith be out a while??

No. Tomlin said that ziggy hood is NOT ready to start for smith.

Richmond Rukus
10-13-2009, 12:52 PM
then who is. Kirschke I guess. I would of thought this would mean more playing time for Hood. I know that would be an obvious blow to run support, but he can get some pressure on the QB.

yinzer
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
then who is. Kirschke I guess. I would of thought this would mean more playing time for Hood. I know that would be an obvious blow to run support, but he can get some pressure on the QB.

Kirschke

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
The hits keep coming! MAN!

Big T
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
If Aaron is out Travis will most likely get the start but Ziggy will see more playing time. I was actually suprised to see how much he played against Detroit. I hope Aaron will be able to return for the Vikings game. ****....you guys remember how ****** our run D was in 07 when he went down for a few weeks? Damn.

SteelCityKid5
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Losing Smith is going to kill our run defense. They missed many opportunities to pick up a youngster in previous drafts. :banging: I say screw it, go sign Sonny Harris to the 53. If Ziggy is not the answer (which i dont understand why) go sign Harris or someone who is capable of filling in that role. Is anyone even available? Please God not Orpheus Roye.

LatrobePA
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
If Aaron is out Travis will most likely get the start but Ziggy will see more playing time. I was actually suprised to see how much he played against Detroit. I hope Aaron will be able to return for the Vikings game. ****....you guys remember how ****** our run D was in 07 when he went down for a few weeks? Damn.

Yes, AP will roll over us!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
When Smith was out a couple years ago; missing several games at the time our run defense was horrific! We have a tough time as it now trying to get the defense play consistently for 60 minutes; if Smith goes out for more than a game or 2 we're going to be in trouble.

Travis will step in to fill that roll and Hood will see more time but there's no way that Hood goes in there to start yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09286/1005165-100.stm

Aaron Smith out with shoulder injury

Tuesday, October 13, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Just as the Steelers welcome the possible return of safety Troy Polamalu this week, it appears they have lost the services of defensive end Aaron Smith.
Smith's right shoulder was injured in Detroit Sunday and coach Mike Tomlin said today it "potentially could be significant."
Tomlin said the injury potentially could keep Smith out for awhile, pending the result of tests today.
The Steelers regard Smith as the best 3-4 end in football.
Tomlin said Ziggy Hood, their first-round draft choice, is not yet ready to replace Smith as the starter and they would do so "by committee."

yinzer
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
When Smith was out a couple years ago; missing several games at the time our run defense was horrific! We have a tough time as it now trying to get the defense play consistently for 60 minutes; if Smith goes out for more than a game or 2 we're going to be in trouble.

Travis will step in to fill that roll and Hood will see more time but there's no way that Hood goes in there to start yet.

TOP, during that that Smith was out with the biceps tear, we had other injuries as well. troy was coming off an injury and clark as well. that was 2007 when we lost to the JAGOFFS when garrard killed us. we held MJD and FT to little to no yards rushing. all that being said, losing smith HURTS.....BAD.

Troyisabeast_43
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Travis Kirschke is having back problems the rumor is so who knows how effective he is going to be if indeed he is the one to fill in for Smith. Didnt they draft Ziggy Hood because of situations like this?? If Smith went down a guy like Hood would be able to step right in and do the job?? He is your first round draft pick so if Tomlin says he isnt quite ready yet to step in he had better be ready soon because this Smith injury looks like a big deal and who knows how well a guy like Kirschke at 35 years old is going to hold up for the long haul is Smith is gone for a month or longer. This is how it goes in the NFL usually the year after you win the Super Bowl big injuries occur to your team and nothing ever goes just the way you need it too like the year before.

I said at seasons start that if the Steelers were going to repeat they were going to need to avoid the big injuries to guys namely Ben. And on defense I mentioned Harrison,Troy,and Smith and already 2 of them have went down with bad injuries that have already made a huge impact on our team and could keep making a big impact on our team as we move forward here for the remainder of the season...