PDA

View Full Version : You try to fix it, and then screw it up worse!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Watching the Steelers in the 2nd half it was blatantly obvious that Arians was digging for an answer to put the Lions away when he had the chance late in the 3rd quarter and heading into the 4th. Ben was going for the all or nothing homerun on 3 consecutive plays on a drive late in the 3rd quarter, I think it was, and all 3 times it ended up in sacks. He stood around, stood around, waiting to fire the ball deep down field in hopes of icing the win. Why not just stick with the game plan like you were doing in the first half. These weren't your typical Ben holding onto the ball too long type of plays where he does his magic either, these were obvious attempts at the long ball come hell or high water. If Bruce and company would just think; work the ball downfield, use your checkdowns, run the ball, hit Holmes on the slant, all the stuff that had been working all day to that point.

Arians appeared to be trying to "fix" the offense by going for it all and we just ended up shooting ourselves in the foot time after time; therefore accomplishing nothing. I just don't understand how you can have something work so well for 30-40 minutes and then have it go to **** in the last quarter because you stray from what got you here.

I'm not calling for Arian's head so let's not turn this into a bitch fest about the OC, but man whether it's Ben trying to improvise, or Bruce being out of his mind, or Tomlin grasping at straws...something has to be done.

ejsteeler
10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
plays debated by Arians (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09285/1004838-66.stm)

This says it all. He blew it and he knows he blew it. My question, why would Tomlin let him....? I know he does not like to micro-manage, but when you are looking at another 4th qtr melt down against the lions of all teams, time to put your head in the door.....

Big T
10-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Mendenhall, 6 carries in the 2nd half. Inexcusable.

LatrobePA
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Mendenhall, 6 carries in the 2nd half. Inexcusable.

I agree, I ask the same question, why didn't Tomlin step in????

OC Steel Curtain
10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Being a Steelers fan over all these years, like SOME of you others on here, they have been through a couple OC's and Arians isnt the worst. Steelers won a SB under that Offense. Until he proves that his play calling isnt getting us the W, Im fine with him.. Im more then happy with his calls as long as those W's keep piling up. If Ben had not thrown that pick it would of been a whole different front cover.. "Steelers are Back" Lol. Steelers D hasnt been on point. Now thats a forum for that ***.

greatfish
10-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Ditto

LatrobePA
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Being a Steelers fan over all these years, like SOME of you others on here, they have been through a couple OC's and Arians isnt the worst. Steelers won a SB under that Offense. Until he proves that his play calling isnt getting us the W, Im fine with him.. Im more then happy with his calls as long as those W's keep piling up. If Ben had not thrown that pick it would of been a whole different front cover.. "Steelers are Back" Lol. Steelers D hasnt been on point. Now thats a forum for that ***.

We all bitched and complained last year too!

After we win #7 this year, I'll continue to bitch about it, that's how I roll! lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
That's what drives me nuts about this type of things; these guys over analyze everything and think about it way too much. I know I'm not a HC but I do that when something isn't broke, you don't try and fix it. The cardinal rule in football 101 is, if you have success with something, you stick with it till they prove they can stop it. If we would just stick to that logic we'd be 5-0 right now, no question!.

Obviously you don't just run the ball 60 times a game, or do nothing but throw it 60 times either but common sense tells you if your game plan worked in the first half, it'll work in the 2nd. Coaches make adjustments at half time depending on the score and how the game is going, so sure you tweak some things here and there but if you have the lead, don't do a 180 away from your gameplan!

LatrobePA
10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
KISS!

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Troyisabeast_43
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Im not defending the offense play by any means in the 2nd half because I thought it was terrible after the Mike Wallace TD. But that still doesnt excuse the defense from once again letting the Lions convert too many 3rd downs in particular a ton of 3rd and longs which allowed them to keep drives going and score some points. Granted the defense did step up and get the 3 consecutive sacks after the two minute warning but still this secondary with guys like Ratliff and Tyrone Carter are absolutely horrific in coverage especially over the middle and the short stuff. Had the Lions not missed the FG on the opening drive of the 2nd half it's a 5 point game and who knows how things turn out.

While the offense is frustrating to watch at times with the playcalling and what not Im still not going to blame them on that game being closer then it should have yesterday. They gave the Steelers defense a 15 point lead to work with and the defense continued to give up big play after big play and long 3rd down conversion after long 3rd down conversion in the 2nd half.

The Steelers offense fellas like it or not right now is not the problem on this team it's the defense. The offense has scored 86 points the last 3 weeks thats an average of 28.6 points a game. They are doing their job and scoring enough points with this defense to hold the league and win these games. The defense just continues to give up big plays late in the 4th quarter and give the other team new life. As I mentioned before Tomlin and Lebeau had better figure out what is wrong by the time the Vikings,Broncos,and Bengals show up on this schedule or what happened in both the Bears and Bengals games is going to happen once again in those 3 games. The Steelers defense more then ever desperately needs Troy back in that secondary and once that happens I dont ever want to see Ratliff or Carter again in this secondary because both of them have been absolutely pathetic filling in for Troy.

Phenomenal TJ
10-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Can't really bitch about Arians after he admitted he screwed up and apologized. Not to mention we came away with the win, albeit an ugly one.

I'm not sure why Tomlin didn't step in, perhaps he wants to allow Arians the same freedom that LeBeau has, or at least give him a test run at it?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Arians has apologized many times over the years after losing a game, so it's not like this is new to us. He knows when he screws up, we know it, Tomlin knows it too. We've all seen Tomlin step up and deal with players who don't do their job but we have no idea how much he leans on Arians to make better play calls or not. It would seem like there is very little leaning going on in that area and he just pretty much lets Bruce do what he wants to do.

43 is right, the defense right now is the main issue. With the offense it's a matter of getting the play calling right for 60 minutes, not just 30, but with the defense it's execution. They go to sleep, get heavy feet, lose focus, call it what you want but the 2nd half Blitzburgh D is a bad imitation of the first half unit. If they figure that out, we'll be golden, but until each week is going to be a nightmare.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
The D needs to quit worrying about giving up the deep ball, they are letting them get everything underneath which is enough to keep drives alive. When they turned it up a notch and sent the house on the 3 consecutive sacks it looked the the defense we are accustomed too.

As for the play calling how do you give up on a run game that was getting about 6 yds a carry,or something close??? If they kept running the ball the offense would have taken care of their end and it might have been a different game...