PDA

View Full Version : Dullard Dick Finally Makes an Adjustment

DanRooney
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
...kind of. After allowing another disgusting touchdown by letting Keiwan Ratboy on the field (obviously clueless on what to do about the safety situation), LeBeau finally gives the Detroit defense a different look by sending 2 consecutive corner blitzes. It's obvious at this point that Lamarr Gildong cannot get to the QB by himself, so sending Willie Gay both times forced Culpepper to step up right into his arms. Both (or 1.5) of his sacks came as a result of pressure from the corners. Good job by Lebeau on the last drive...finally.

Big T
10-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Great pressure by the D, really all game, but that last drive was beautiful. I was sitting there yelling, wondering why the hell they kept putting Keiwan in man coverage. he is not good. They were attacking the middle of the field so I feel really confident that our D will be so much better when Troy comes back.

Troyisabeast_43
10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I agree Ratliff has just been horrific in coverage in both the Bengals game and today against Detroit. There is no doubt that once Troy gets back there in the secondary this defense and coverage back there will be much improved. Expect to see Troy sit out one more week and be back in time for the Vikings game in 2 weeks...

TEEMONT
10-11-2009, 05:24 PM
man...ur nicknames are just so awesome...I dunno what to do with myself

JensK
10-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I agree Ratliff has just been horrific in coverage in both the Bengals game and today against Detroit. There is no doubt that once Troy gets back there in the secondary this defense and coverage back there will be much improved. Expect to see Troy sit out one more week and be back in time for the Vikings game in 2 weeks...

Ive said this once, and i'll go ahead and say it again: You do not want to start a rusty Polamalu against Favre. He'll pick him apart. Yes, a rusty troy is still better than Ratliff or Carter, but you want Troy to have some playing time under the skin before he match up against Farve... :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm quite certain Lebeau hasn't just decided to sit back in a cover 2 and let the defenses pick his schemes apart on purpose here people. It's a matter of execution on the players part, Lebeau knows what he's doing but the players are not executing in the 2nd half like they are in the first half.

Whatever the reason's are for the team to go to sleep in the 4th quarter are up for debate but I'm pretty certain Lebeau knows what he's doing.

SteelCityKid5
10-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Before the Lions took the first snap down deep in our territory (before the 1st sack), it was said on the radio that the Detroit Lions mascot was stomping on the Terrible Towel.... 3 plays = 3 sacks .... I'm not saying, I'm just saying... unreal.. do not step on the towel

ejsteeler
10-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Really, come on. He goes from HOF hype to bum? Give me a break. It's all about execution and we are for sure not executing. Lebeau is still one of the best in the game. :imho:

Stlrs4Life
10-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm quite certain Lebeau hasn't just decided to sit back in a cover 2 and let the defenses pick his schemes apart on purpose here people. It's a matter of execution on the players part, Lebeau knows what he's doing but the players are not executing in the 2nd half like they are in the first half.

Whatever the reason's are for the team to go to sleep in the 4th quarter are up for debate but I'm pretty certain Lebeau knows what he's doing.

He does, but the players have no clue.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
These players didn't suddenly get stupid either, they know what they are supposed to do. When it comes down a question of player execution or play calling, on the defensive side of the ball, you side with Lebeau everytime. The man is a HOF, one of the greatest defensive minds in league history, period! If there's anyone that want on your side making the calls in the most crucial part of the game, it's him.

Iron City South
10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Losing Brian McFadden hurt this defense more than some are willing to admit.

TEEMONT
10-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Losing McFadden didn't really hurt us, Gay was ready to step up in his place. Whats killing us is there was no one ready to step up and take Gay's place.

So in a round about kinda way, you're right.

yinzer
10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
why farrior is even on the field in 3rd and longs is beyond me. he SUCKS in coverage.

Phenomenal TJ
10-13-2009, 01:58 AM
To be honest, I think the reason that LeBeau hasn't dialed it up to this point is because he wasn't sure how it was going to go with Polamalu out. He's versatile as all hell and not having him on the field puts us at a sever disadvantage, especially when taking players out of coverage to put pressure on the QB.

With less skill as far as coverage goes, the QB can get rid of the ball quicker than our blitzers (Harrison and Woodley) can get there. That may have something to do with Woodley's lack of success this season thus far.

Only time will tell, but I'll revisit this topic once Polamalu's back.

franchise3
10-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Yinzer, great point. I was going to say the same thing. Over and over again, same mistake by Lebeau.

DanRooney
10-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Postgameheroes scary stats against the Lions, without Stafford or Calvin Johnson...

On third down, Detroit went 11-of-18. That’s a 61% success rate. (By comparison the Steelers were 38% on third down)

On 3rd and 5 or less, Detroit went 4-of-5 which is an 80% success rate.

On 3rd and 6 to 10, Detroit went 3-of-5 which is a 60% success rate.

On 3rd and 11 to 15, Detroit went 3-of-3 which is obviously a 100% success rate.

On 3rd and 16 or longer, Detroit went 1-of-5 which is a 20% success rate.

The real eye opening number when you put these conversions together is that the Lions went 10-of-13 on 3rd downs of 15 yards or less. That’s a 77% success rate. Ouch.
The Lions had 5 offensive drives that were more than 9+ plays long. In the 3rd QTR Detroit held the ball for 12:13 while the Steelers had possession for 2mins and 47 seconds.

These are numbers that can’t be chalked up to luck or good fortune, a random QB scramble, or penalty flags. These numbers are troublesome and should make us really start to wonder if this really is “our defense” this year. It can’t be, can it?