PDA

View Full Version : Defense saves the day; are they finally "back"?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
7 Sacks
1 Interception
2 Forced Fumbles

Not a bad day for an NFL defense, and certainly what we are used to seeing from our Steelers on a Sunday afternoon. On the final drive after the Lions managed to pull within 8 points and then getting the ball back, the defense finally came through.

This is what we needed from them against the Bears and Bengals. This is what we need them to be for us this year. The pressure through 3 quarters was solid and consistent for the most part. Was this week and indication now that the Steelers are back on defense now?

LatrobePA
10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
NO, not yet, the Lions controlled the 2nd half too much....Granted they didn't score, they chewed us up!!

Steelersfan
10-11-2009, 04:54 PM
NO, not yet, the Lions controlled the 2nd half too much....Granted they didn't score, they chewed us up!!

I agree, while it was nice to get the sacks and turnovers, they still gave up too much to a team like Detroit. Doesn't instill a lot of faith in them but I'll take the win!.....:tt02:

Troyisabeast_43
10-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Detroit got way and I mean wayyyy too many 3rd down conversions in this game especially in the 2nd half to keep drives going. It was getting ridiculous after awhile. While it was nice to see the defense finally make a stand late and get 3 straight sacks in a row to seal the win there is still a lot of room for improvement. The bottom though is a win is a win and the Steelers did what they had to do and took care of business and got the W...

Big T
10-11-2009, 05:19 PM
They were attacking the middle of the field. That will change once Troy comes back.

Sir Blitzelot
10-11-2009, 05:38 PM
While the defense put up solid numbers, I am still not all the way convinced that they are back to form. The defensive secondary still looks a little soft to me. The Lions converted too many 3rd and longs. Although there is still room for improvement, the defense certainly looked better this week, then they have in weeks past.

SteelCityKid5
10-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Get off on 3rd down and Troy should be coming back. This D will turn the corner once all it's horses are in the stable

Stlrs4Life
10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
No, by far no, I believe it's getting worse by the week.

steel-tex
10-11-2009, 06:29 PM
WE WERE PLAYING THE LIONS -WILL SEE WHEN THE VIKINGS GET HERE

Stlrs4Life
10-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Oh boy, I don't want to think about that.

Captcoolhand
10-11-2009, 08:11 PM
7 Sacks
1 Interception
2 Forced Fumbles

Was this week and indication now that the Steelers are back on defense now?
Our front 7 is back our DB's still blows http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick016.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Iron City South
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm not happy with our pass defense at all. Our nickle package is abysmal.

Ratliff is an abortion ....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2009, 12:39 AM
The 3rd downs were the killer for me, they were what like 8-13 or some crazy **** like that (off the top of my head), and way too many 3rd and longs too. They showed a stat today during the game that we are first in the league in First half scoring and last in the league in 4th quarter scoring.

That tells it all right there; until we can stop someone it's not going to get any easier. It just pisses me off to see us at 3-2 right now when we should be 5-0 if we just actually take care of the leads we had on those teams.

Atleast the last 2 weeks the defense is starting to get pressure, a few turnovers, etc. but man somebody needs to inject them with caffeine at half time to wake their asses up for the last 30 minutes.

Troyisabeast_43
10-12-2009, 12:47 AM
The 3rd downs were the killer for me, they were what like 8-13 or some crazy **** like that (off the top of my head), and way too many 3rd and longs too. They showed a stat today during the game that we are first in the league in First half scoring and last in the league in 4th quarter scoring.

That tells it all right there; until we can stop someone it's not going to get any easier. It just pisses me off to see us at 3-2 right now when we should be 5-0 if we just actually take care of the leads we had on those teams.

Atleast the last 2 weeks the defense is starting to get pressure, a few turnovers, etc. but man somebody needs to inject them with caffeine at half time to wake their asses up for the last 30 minutes.

Im with you TG the 3rd down and long conversions today by the Lions were just ridiculous. I was sitting there pulling my hair out watching the Lions especially in the 3rd and 4th quarter continue to convert not only 3rd downs but 3rd and longs. Like I pointed out in another thread these late 4th quarter meltdowns might be good enough to beat a team like the Lions but it will not be good enough to beat the upcoming teams the Steelers have coming on the schedule in the Vikings,Broncos,and Bengals...This defense MUST play better and stop letting these teams get late scores and rack up yards late in the 4th quarter. I guarantee if the Steelers do that against any of those 3 teams I just mentioned above that they are playing soon the Steelers will get beat and continue to lose games...

scott0326
10-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Im liking what Im seeing from the rush defense and from the pass rush standpoint. But the pass coverage has been terrible and needs to improve, hopefully it will when Polamalu is back.

JensK
10-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Polamalu can only fix so much. Yes, QBs are not so quick to throw the ball when he is around, but we are getting beat pretty much all over the field, when they are throwing it, and Troy can only be one place at a time. Gay is showing flashes of but good and bad. He is not really getting beat one-on-one, but he seems to miss asseignments. Clark was never a good safety when it comes to coverage. Ike however is destroying the world. Troy is going to shut down the big gap we are having in the middle of the field, but that will demand Clark and gay to step up and make plays on the outsite, since we are being killed by those quick slant and out-routes right now. As i said, troy will handle the post routes, but rest is on gay and clarks shoulder. Hopefully when troy returns, we dont have to see Mundy and especially Ratliff again. WHile mundy is decent (he is very unpolished) ratliff is flat out terrible. As is Carter imo. He kind of reminds me of Clark, just worse.

cmerrifield
10-12-2009, 07:36 AM
We only gave up 13 points on D. Granted it was to the Lions, but still only 13 points. I am not saying our Defense doesnt have stuff to work on, but the last 3 defensive plays of the game gave me hope. Its like all of the sudden, the defense kicked in. Troy coming back will help, but I am not as dissappointed as the rest of you, as the Steelers have always given up a lot of yards between the 20's and then clamped down to prevent touchdowns or even scores by sacking them out of field goal range. I thought they were fine.

LatrobePA
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I agree Ratliff is NOT the answer at all! I now see why he was cut! He runs around out there like a lost puppy dog!

How about Gay, he's been decent...The Foote stomping was getting a little old, I liked when 92 did it, but Gay was out of control!

ToothAche
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Nope. they can't even wipe their own asses without Troy on the field.

TampaSteelGirl
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Yes! Seriously here. Our defense is no way back yet? We played the Lions and we made them look pretty good out there. This defense looks nothing like the #1 defense in the league in 2008. Miss tackles, Carter is just horrible! Not much pressure on Culpepper, the guy could have knit a sweater in the pocket. Didn't see much defense domination until the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left in the game. Cant play that way against the Vikings!!!! I"m not happy with the way the defense is playing AT ALL....Hope they keep Troy out one more week and then bring him back for the Viking game, no sense in bring back for the Browns game. I was pretty disgusted with the way the Defense played the past few games...just sad.

LatrobePA
10-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Dick is soft! That is until the 4th quarter this past Sunday, he said if we're going to lose we will lose playing Steelers football and then dialed up the coner blitzes....

TampaSteelGirl
10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Dick is soft! That is until the 4th quarter this past Sunday, he said if we're going to lose we will lose playing Steelers football and then dialed up the coner blitzes....

Should have seen that ALL game not in the last 2 minutes fighting for the win...my take on it is Dick is saving his Defense for the big games??? No????? :thinking:

scott0326
10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I agree Ratliff is NOT the answer at all! I now see why he was cut! He runs around out there like a lost puppy dog!

How about Gay, he's been decent...The Foote stomping was getting a little old, I liked when 92 did it, but Gay was out of control!

Yeah, Ratliff is terrible, but who would play instead of him? Mundey? He's horrible as well.

About Foot stomping thing, I don't have a problem with it, I like seeing celebrations after sacks and Touchdowns.

That sounded kind of weird.:lol: