PDA

View Full Version : Squeaked out another one...what's the deal?!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2009, 04:09 PM
So we damn near let the Lions come back and tie this game up or atleast threaten to do so; after being up big in the 3rd quarter. Is there a genie out there that we can rub, some kind of magical just we can sniff, or put something better in the water to actually get this team to finish off a game!

Had this been any real contender, any good team in the NFL we might very well be sitting at the coin toss for overtime right now. You're up by 15 points going into the 4th quarter then you're offensive line goes to sleep, you try and do too much instead of sticking with the game plan, and your defense takes a water break until the final drive.

This has bitten us twice now this season and if we don't fix it, it's going to bite us again and again...

floodcitygirl
10-11-2009, 04:13 PM
This is crazy! Where is our defense????? It can't all hing on Troy. That's not Steeler football. Frightening! How can I be so pissed and we actually won???!!! LOL!

debbkbower
10-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey look, the end result is what should count. We won the game...and I love games like this. They aren't blowouts..they are won because our guys had to dig in. Gives us a chance to see what they are made of and I think we are looking good. :cope:

floodcitygirl
10-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey look, the end result is what should count. We won the game...and I love games like this. They aren't blowouts..they are won because our guys had to dig in. Gives us a chance to see what they are made of and I think we are looking good. :cope:Yeah...you know what...I could totally handle a bowout just once. Would do my heart good. And if we can't do it with the Lions????!!!!

Big T
10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Two words: Troy Polamalu

Ironman
10-11-2009, 04:37 PM
The Steelers showed some improvements, but they are still lacking.

Most fans are unsatisfied because of the high expectations placed upon the Steelers. We aren't just aiming for a playoff birth, we aren't just satisfied with another AFC divisional title game, the Steelers have higher expectations. We are lookin' for another Superbowl, nothing less. That is why there is an unsatisfied feeling lingering around, and it is producing a lot of criticism - some well-deserved, some not.

Glad we won, but the Steelers cannot continue to play like this and expect another Superbowl appearance, let alone another Lombardi to add to the collection.

K Train
10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
good news is this team will know how to win by the end of the year lol

LatrobePA
10-11-2009, 04:41 PM
good news is this team will know how to win by the end of the year lol

I might need a new heart then!

igor0190
10-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah...you know what...I could totally handle a bowout just once. Would do my heart good. And if we can't do it with the Lions????!!!!

I agree
All these close games are going to take a toll on my ticker...

CNY_STEELER_FAN
10-11-2009, 05:52 PM
The D is clearly missing Troy, but if we eliminated the Special Team Goofs and Interceptions -> TDs over the past few weeks, I believe the D is only allowing about an average of 14 points / game.

That's actually not to bad with the amount of points our Offense has been cranking out this season. So, once Troy is back (to his normal self), it should be a notable improvement in our pass coverage in the 4th quarter.

Of course, we may also have to accept that with the excessive no calls on holding against our blitzers combined with opponents focusing on the quick / short passing game, this year's D may not be able to live up to last year's standards either (and don't forget, we're basically going to get every team's best effort this year, as defending champs).

Anywho...on to the next opponent and playing better next week, go Steelers! :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
This is crazy! Where is our defense????? It can't all hing on Troy. That's not Steeler football. Frightening! How can I be so pissed and we actually won???!!! LOL!

Exactly, it's just plain embarassing. I feel for you fcg, with the Bungles now leading the division.

SteelersGirlTN7
10-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I might need a new heart then!

Amen!!

Also .. if we were just doing what we SHOULD be doing .. and it was still unsuccessful that would be one thing ..

but WHY were we not running the ball down their throats ?? Mendy was gashing them for 5-6 yards per carry ..but we're still passing on almost every down? What gives?

That is NOT Steelers football!!

madtowndrunkard
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
The problem is our LB play. The only LB that is disrupting the offense is Harrison. Not one other LB has made anything but routine plays. They look tentative. Where's the urgency from these guys?

I want to defend Farrior becuase he's making tackles, but I can't. This game I really paid close attention to our LB's and w/ exception of Harrison they look slow. Farrior is not his usual self. Woodley is being neutralized on every play. Even Woodley's sacks today were a product of another defender disrupting the offense. Either offenses figured out how to block this guy or something is wrong with him. Timmons has been dissapointing as well. He's not making any big plays....but most of all he's just not disrupting the offense. He's getting eaten up by blockers on run defense. He looks solid in pass coverage...other wise he looks soft and slow....and we all know he's not slow. So I don't know what the issue is with him.

Sure Troy's abscence hurts but it's not the real issue with our defense right now. It's definately the LB play. When 3 of the 4 have clearly lost a step or just aren't getting it done, it will cause problems all over the field. Someone else (other then Harrison) has to disrupt the offense. Until that happens we will struggle defensively. It's easy for an offense to take one player out. Last year if you doubled Harrison, Woodley would make you pay. Last year Foote took on blockers and freed up other LB's to make plays. This year Timmons is not doing that and it's hurting our inside rush and run stuffing. We've got BIG problems on defense and I don't think Troy is going to fix it.

Lebeau is going to need to reach in to his bag of tricks and come up with schemes and blitzes that compensate for our weak LB play.

75Steeler
10-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm getting tired of this! Last year #1 "D" in the NFL now we are just average!!!! WTF???

:cope: :cope: :cope: :cope: :cope:

floodcitygirl
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Exactly, it's just plain embarassing. I feel for you fcg, with the Bungles now leading the division.You just had to say it didn't ya?! lol!

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
this is an embarresment. the steelers almost shanked another one. the defense goes home every game in the last 1/4. the fans are getting nervous, and the fn bungholes are in first place div wise. what is wrong with this picture? i don't see a trend in the positive direction either. i think the cleveland game will tell it all.

DanRooney
10-12-2009, 12:13 AM
The problem is our LB play. The only LB that is disrupting the offense is Harrison. Not one other LB has made anything but routine plays. They look tentative. Where's the urgency from these guys?

I want to defend Farrior becuase he's making tackles, but I can't. This game I really paid close attention to our LB's and w/ exception of Harrison they look slow. Farrior is not his usual self. Woodley is being neutralized on every play. Even Woodley's sacks today were a product of another defender disrupting the offense. Either offenses figured out how to block this guy or something is wrong with him. Timmons has been dissapointing as well. He's not making any big plays....but most of all he's just not disrupting the offense. He's getting eaten up by blockers on run defense. He looks solid in pass coverage...other wise he looks soft and slow....and we all know he's not slow. So I don't know what the issue is with him.

Sure Troy's abscence hurts but it's not the real issue with our defense right now. It's definately the LB play. When 3 of the 4 have clearly lost a step or just aren't getting it done, it will cause problems all over the field. Someone else (other then Harrison) has to disrupt the offense. Until that happens we will struggle defensively. It's easy for an offense to take one player out. Last year if you doubled Harrison, Woodley would make you pay. Last year Foote took on blockers and freed up other LB's to make plays. This year Timmons is not doing that and it's hurting our inside rush and run stuffing. We've got BIG problems on defense and I don't think Troy is going to fix it.

Lebeau is going to need to reach in to his bag of tricks and come up with schemes and blitzes that compensate for our weak LB play.

Taunto Farrior and LaMarr Gildong are playing absolutely wretched football. Farrior can't cover anyone in the flats. Timmons is not playing bad imo. He is the only one getting pressure with Harrison. In my honest opinion, he should be moved to ROLB and Woodley or Fox should take the vacant ILB spot.

Combine all this with our secondary, in which every single backup safety is horrible.

Dean Denton
10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
It happened with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd again.....that was our last score, and then the Lions started coming back......creepy...lol

KRAZYRIDE
10-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Its seems like the defense definetly takes a backseat after the half. The defense does really good in the first halves even without 43 but then they just tank in the second half. We definetly need to know how to run the ball when were winning ARAINS!!! im sure this would make it a little easier for the defense.

Tr305
10-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Im still not worried yea we playe dit a lil to close with a team like the lions but this is the nfl after all. My point is though look at us last year we played alot of those games close as well. We had only 5 games decided by more then 3 tds and then we dropped 4 games the other 8 games came down to wire we just dug down deep enough to win, i mean look at the superbowl we blew that lead too but what was the end result? Another lombardi. My whole point in all this is what mike tomlin said last year can be said about today it wasnt pretty and no style points were earned but we got the win thats what matters right?

Ok so now onto the brownies before we face a good vikings team

SteelersWoman
10-12-2009, 03:20 AM
Hey look, the end result is what should count. We won the game...and I love games like this. They aren't blowouts..they are won because our guys had to dig in. Gives us a chance to see what they are made of and I think we are looking good. :cope:

IMO, this is one of those "Yes.....BUT" situations. Yes, we won the game, and that's great--but this is what bothers me:

Giants-44 (victor by 37) And I just read that Eli played less than a half!
Oakland-7

Philly-33 (victor by 19)
Tampa-14

Vikes-38 (victor by 28)
Rams-10

Colts-31 (victor by 22)
Titans-9

Everyone expected that the Giants, Philly, Vikes, and Colts would win, and they won exactly as they were expected to--BIG, considering they were playing what most consider to be lesser opponents. Lowest amount was by more than 2 TDs and a FG. Now--everyone expected us to win (and I would assume by at least the same type of point differential) especially considering we were playing A: a non-divisional opponent and B: the Lions, who pretty much find a way to lose, as a general rule.

Add in the fact that this seems to be a recurring theme?

Soooo, the fact that we won by only 8 (and were lucky to have done that) just doesn't add up, and doesn't sit well. I know that most Steeler fans are worried about the lack of intensity and the plays that are being missed, and I sure hope the coaches are as worried as we are. If we can barely beat the LIONS, how in the WORLD are we gonna beat a better opponent?

Dean Denton
10-12-2009, 05:08 AM
IMO, this is one of those "Yes.....BUT" situations. Yes, we won the game, and that's great--but this is what bothers me:

Giants-44 (victor by 37) And I just read that Eli played less than a half!
Oakland-7

Philly-33 (victor by 19)
Tampa-14

Vikes-38 (victor by 28)
Rams-10

Colts-31 (victor by 22)
Titans-9

Everyone expected that the Giants, Philly, Vikes, and Colts would win, and they won exactly as they were expected to--BIG, considering they were playing what most consider to be lesser opponents. Lowest amount was by more than 2 TDs and a FG. Now--everyone expected us to win (and I would assume by at least the same type of point differential) especially considering we were playing A: a non-divisional opponent and B: the Lions, who pretty much find a way to lose, as a general rule.

Add in the fact that this seems to be a recurring theme?

Soooo, the fact that we won by only 8 (and were lucky to have done that) just doesn't add up, and doesn't sit well. I know that most Steeler fans are worried about the lack of intensity and the plays that are being missed, and I sure hope the coaches are as worried as we are. If we can barely beat the LIONS, how in the WORLD are we gonna beat a better opponent? IMO, this team will struggle against the good teams and with they way they have played they are not going to win those games this year. Look what happened against the Bears and the Bengals. You took the words right out of my mouth. I asked those same questions after the game....Hey, you cant win ever year....:tt02:

cmerrifield
10-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I am beginning to think that LeBeau has been told or asked or has decided to change the way he plays when they are winning. I cannot remember a time where he has taken his foot off the gas on this defense. He may have rested starters in a blowout, but still attacked like no other DC in the league, something has changed. Maybe he is more timid without Troy, maybe he is trying to do too much with Timmons, I dont know, but our D is not the same, and it seems partly because of play calling, until the last three plays of the game of course. THAT was old LeBeau

Big T
10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
This is how I look at it... The D gave up only 13 points. and of those 13, 7 came from keiwan ratliff, our 4th sting corner, playing as the 4th string SS, in man-coverage. If Troy is in the game at that point, there is no way it's a touchdown, especially considering it was Dennis Northcutt.

Yes, the D gave up some big pass plays and a lot of them were on 3rd down, an the majority of them in the middle of the field. But once again, if Troy is in there, it's a non-issue. I know "if" is a big word but I'm just saying, I'm not panicking.

I think most of the blame goes on the offense and the dumbass play calling in the second half by BA.

- Ben's pick six: Badly thrown and a horrible decision.
- Mike Wallace's dropped TD: though he caught a TD later, it later led to Ben's pick.
- BA getting greedy and giving Mendenhall only 6 carries in the 2nd half when he proved he could run all over the lions D.

LatrobePA
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Put BA in a brown paper bag on the door step of Tom Brady, then light it on fire, knock on the door and watch pretty boy Tom stomp it out getting **** all over his feet!

This is what I'd pay to see, priceless!!

greg1964
10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Like everyone else: I don't like the fact that all the Steelers games come down to the wire; I would love this year "D" to make all the big plays, like last year: But the Steelers "D" only gave up 29 points in the first three quarters of all their games. If the running game was solid, then, or B.A. would commit too it when it is working well (now): the Steelers could be 5-0: In the two loses, time was the only thing that got the Steelers:

Yeah... In both loses, the Steelers had the other teams at 4 down and didn't make the play to stop them: But if the Steelers red-zone offerse scored TD vs field goals and Sweed and Wallace catches wide open pass, the Steelers win both games.

I'm glad the Steelers haven't peak yet: Anyone remember the Titians, NYJ, Broncos, NYG, N.C. Panthers, of last year: I want the Steelers to play there best ball in December and January, not September and October: Besides with Cleveland twice, Oakland, K.C. Balitmore twice and the Bungles one more time: That at least seven more wins, which will give them 10.

Does anyone really think that Cinn, Bal, and Cleveland can beat the Steelers, when the Steelers look at them as a threat.