PDA

View Full Version : Why should Willie be the starter????

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I will personally be pissed if Willie comes back this week and sucks it up and stays in the game.

3 years ago he was a stud, not so much lately!

Mendy had a good game (1) yes, but he showed the ability to run defenders over, something 39 hasn't be able to do.

Will we use them as a double headed "monster"?? Or will one get the bulk of the carries??

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Not sure about the "starter" tag, but at this point the carries should be evenly divided amongst Willie, Mendenhall, and Moore. That's were the league is headed and it seems as if the days of the feature back are numbered.

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Not here, when he's healthy it seems he's the work horse.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I don't see it in Parker this year!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Not here, when he's healthy it seems he's the work horse.

Perhaps tradition will keep the Steelers from changing.

DIESELMAN
10-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Tomlin has a good thing going with our RB's. We finally got a chance to see Mendy in action and his potential, but don't forget it was against a banged up Chargers D. Time will tell, Tomlin will make the right decision based on his gut, not popularity or what anyone else says.

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Tomlin has a good thing going with our RB's. We finally got a chance to see Mendy in action and his potential, but don't forget it was against a banged up Chargers D. Time will tell, Tomlin will make the right decision based on his gut, not popularity or what anyone else says.

I agree, he has no problems putting his players in their place, and I take my hat off to him for that.

I know Willie will have more chances, but I hope he doesn't hesitate to pull him if he is struggling.

The next two weeks could be big running games, lets test them out!

Callax
10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
It was nice to see Mendy look confortable catching the ball
He could be helpful in non-obvious passing downs (3rd & Long)
just like having Moore run on 2nd and short with 4 WR formations.
I think Parker is done as the "workhorse" since the league looks like it's leaning to the 2 back system in lieu of 1 back " Workhorse " mentality.
Willie might be back next year

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm OK with splitting the carries!

Hit the hole Willie, his silly little moves drive me nuts!

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
One game doesn't a make a season BUT Rushard did finally get a chance to show what he can do. Would FWP have had the same success? nobody knows... He did make a great showing and finally showed why he was a first rounder

BlackGold4vr
10-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Better Blocker - Rashard
Better Tackle Breaker - Rashard
Better Running Between the Tackles - Rashard
Better Catching Passes Out of the Backfield - Rashard
Better Short Yardage - Rashard
Faster getting around the end - Willie

I have it at 5 to 1 for Rashard. If either back is going to get more carries than the other it should be Rashard. :2cents:

Zachintosh66
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Id like to re-edit this...

Better Blocker - Rashard
Better Catching Passes Out of the Backfield - Rashard

Better Blocker - Moore
Better Catching Passes Out of the Backfield - Moore

IMO...
Starter should be Medenhall.
Change of Pace, Willie.
3rd Down, Moore.
Short/GL, Medenhall.

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Question is, will the coaches see it this way?

BlackGold4vr
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
The problem with using the backs this way is that it telegraphs what plays you are likely to run with specialized personnel. That is why using your best all-around back is the way to go because it doesn't tip your hand!

Id like to re-edit this...

Better Blocker - Moore
Better Catching Passes Out of the Backfield - Moore

IMO...
Starter should be Medenhall.
Change of Pace, Willie.
3rd Down, Moore.
Short/GL, Medenhall.

Big T
10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I say split caries between Mendy and Willie. If one struggles, the coaches should do the right thing and pull him.

scott0326
10-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Even if Willie Parker starts, he probably wont be 100%, so I think Mendenhall will and should get the bulk of the carries.

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Mendenhall's ability to block and pick up the blocks is clearly something that Tomlin and the coaching staff need to take into consideration when they decide who is going to be starting. Clearly Mendy is the better overall blocker and can save Ben a lot of sacks by picking up that blitzer on a play fake much like he did the other night several times. I dont have a problem with Willie and I hope he gets healthy but right now I am on the Mendenhall bandwagon and I think he should be the starting running back for now until further notice...

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Mendenhall's ability to block and pick up the blocks is clearly something that Tomlin and the coaching staff need to take into consideration when they decide who is going to be starting. Clearly Mendy is the better overall blocker and can save Ben a lot of sacks by picking up that blitzer on a play fake much like he did the other night several times. I dont have a problem with Willie and I hope he gets healthy but right now I am on the Mendenhall bandwagon and I think he should be the starting running back for now until further notice...

I agree 100%

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-06-2009, 05:25 PM
The way I see it...you play both in the first quarter and then go with the hot hand.

JensK
10-06-2009, 05:46 PM
actually i would like to see Mendenhall in first half, and Parker in second. Mendenhall is much better against a fresh defence than parker is due to his better vision and toughness in his way of running. He can wear a defence down. Parker is still fast, but he needs huge holes to benefit from that great speed, and he needs to be fresh, which both should happen if Mendenhall have destroyed the world in the first half.

Long term i wouldnt mind Mendenhall and Moore... Mendenhall should be able to handle business him self.

BR7
10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been off the Willie wagon for a few seasons now. I can't take the statement "it was one game, against the banged up Chargers" into any kind of consideration. I don't think Willie would have had near the game Mendy had. Save for his SB record run, that's all he has. He's more miss than hit, he can't run between the tackles, he can't shed a tackle and he doesn't take on tackers.. I see him run out of bounds more than anything (if he ever gets past the LOS). Mendy needs to work on a few details and I'm sure he will have his Willie moments, but I'll take his potential over Willies one and only skill.

IMO, in this "what have you done for me lately league," Willie will (and should) spell Mendy.

coldrolled
10-06-2009, 07:27 PM
the FO should do what ever they can to get a good draft pick for Willie.

scott0326
10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
the FO should do what ever they can to get a good draft pick for Willie.

There not going to get anything for a 29 year old declining RB who is a free agent after the season, it would be better to just keep him.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-06-2009, 08:10 PM
The truth is Willie has been hurt for the last 2-3 years, Tomlin said when he was hired that he would run Willie untill his wheels fell off and that's exactly what has happen, I think Mendy an Moore would be a great 1-2 punch, but if Willie is healed he should split the carries with Mendy, but Mendy should start........

K Train
10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
mendenhall will make parker be on the injury list a little longer than usual, then when hes fully healed, willie will find himself on the bench alot more than usual.

it was only one game, and i expect some down games, vikings, ravens....well maybe not the ravens since he will be out for blood....anyway, the one game was a big one for him, expect more...not a one game wonder, that was just the breakout game.

Stlrs4Life
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I say keep Menenhall and Moore in there, I don't think turf toe heels in a week. Plus, I want to see what Menenhall can do against a Denver, or Minnesota or Baltimore defense.

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Mendy was chewing up some yards last year against the Ravens B4 he went down. Not like he did this last game, but I was impressed last year....

Iron City South
10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Tomlin would be a FOOL to go back to Parker as the starter now that Mendy got a chance to play to a national audience and absolutely nailed it.

Mendenhall was drafted in the 1st to be our future .... and our future is NOW. Did you see his burst? .... Did you see his blocking? .... Did you see his hands? .... Did you see his vision? .... Did you see his ability to push people backwards? ... Did you see his ability to break tackles and get into the 2nd level?

People ....

Nothing against Parker because he gave the Steelers his heart and his loyalty over the past few years, but let the truth be told .... Willie Parker isn't even in the same league as Rashard Mendenhall in terms of natural skill and ability. The guy is capable of doing it all.

Willie is better suited to be a complementary back to Mendenhall. Fresh legs when Mendy needs a breather.

tat2
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
i think there is a place for both mendy and fwp in the offense. neither have proven themselves to be especially durable. from what they have shown so far this season mendy is the man and i say ride that horse, let fwp fully recover and let him earn his playing time.

Lunchbucket
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
What a wonderful problem to have,It's a long season,and runners sustain a lot of punishment. We can use all the healthy RB's we can suit up.I like platooning FWP and Mendy to keep bodies fresh.Bring Moore in on 3rd down.

coldrolled
10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
There not going to get anything for a 29 year old declining RB who is a free agent after the season, it would be better to just keep him.

well. did you see today... braylon edwards was traded for 2 players and 2 draft picks to the jets from the browns...

browns need a running back????

--- Added 10/7/2009 at 02:29 PM ---

look at this one today... we could have got some draft picks from the raiders for parker.

Raiders Sign RB Gary Russell
With Darren McFadden expected to miss two-to-four weeks, and Louis Rankin currently on the Seattle Seahawks practice squad, the Oakland Raiders have signed free agent running back Gary Russell, David White of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Russell has appeared in 15 games for the Pittsburgh Steelers over the last two seasons, gaining 98 yards on 35 attempts and 3 touchdowns. He also averaged 23.2 yards per kick return last season, a role he could reprise during what will be his second stint with the Raiders.

Russell was with the Raiders during training camp, leading the team with 155 yards and 3 touchdowns rushing during the preseason.

scott0326
10-07-2009, 07:45 PM
well. did you see today... braylon edwards was traded for 2 players and 2 draft picks to the jets from the browns...

Braylon Edwards has more value right now then Willie Parker does, Jets were looking for WR, they got Edwards who was in a terrible situation and needed a change of scenery bad. Edwards and Parker are in 2 different situations. Parker is injured every week and cant stay healthy and he appears to be declining. Edwards is a good player who wasn't performing, we all know he he can be good if he has a decent QB though.'

browns need a running back????
Browns are looking to acquire draft picks, not trade them for a declining RB, their fine this year. When Lewis gets healthy, they can split with Harris and Lewis and next year when Lewis is gone, Davis (who is injured) will be back. Browns don't fit for a trade.

--- Added 10/7/2009 at 02:29 PM ---

look at this one today... we could have got some draft picks from the raiders for parker.

Raiders Sign RB Gary Russell
With Darren McFadden expected to miss two-to-four weeks, and Louis Rankin currently on the Seattle Seahawks practice squad, the Oakland Raiders have signed free agent running back Gary Russell, David White of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Russell has appeared in 15 games for the Pittsburgh Steelers over the last two seasons, gaining 98 yards on 35 attempts and 3 touchdowns. He also averaged 23.2 yards per kick return last season, a role he could reprise during what will be his second stint with the Raiders.

Russell was with the Raiders during training camp, leading the team with 155 yards and 3 touchdowns rushing during the preseason.

No, Raiders aren't trying to find a new starting RB, Willie Parker doesn't fit there at all. They were looking for a replacement for a couple of weeks why McFadden is injured.

If Willie Parker is traded we aren't getting anything better then a 5th round pick. Not Worth it, let FWP finish this year with Pittsburgh, thank him for all he's done with us and then let him walk and let Mendenhall take over.

KRAZYRIDE
10-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Mendenhall should definetly be the feature back but I still think Willie could contribute when he and the defense gets tired. I'm also interested to see what Redman would bring to the mix but that might have to wait for next season. The important thing tho is running the ball effictivley when we have the lead which we haven't been able to do since Bill Cowher left.

LatrobePA
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM
No disrespect to Willie at all, but he hasn't been right for a couple years. I think he still has gas in the tank, but not at a fulltime level.

I doubt he's going to want to stay and backup mendy!

coldrolled
10-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Braylon Edwards has more value right now then Willie Parker does, Jets were looking for WR, they got Edwards who was in a terrible situation and needed a change of scenery bad. Edwards and Parker are in 2 different situations. Parker is injured every week and cant stay healthy and he appears to be declining. Edwards is a good player who wasn't performing, we all know he he can be good if he has a decent QB though.'

Browns are looking to acquire draft picks, not trade them for a declining RB, their fine this year. When Lewis gets healthy, they can split with Harris and Lewis and next year when Lewis is gone, Davis (who is injured) will be back. Browns don't fit for a trade.

No, Raiders aren't trying to find a new starting RB, Willie Parker doesn't fit there at all. They were looking for a replacement for a couple of weeks why McFadden is injured.

If Willie Parker is traded we aren't getting anything better then a 5th round pick. Not Worth it, let FWP finish this year with Pittsburgh, thank him for all he's done with us and then let him walk and let Mendenhall take over.

ok, the Pats just lost Taylor... they need a back....

they always have a pile of draft picks.....

Steelersfan
10-09-2009, 09:23 AM
No disrespect to Willie at all, but he hasn't been right for a couple years. I think he still has gas in the tank, but not at a fulltime level.

I doubt he's going to want to stay and backup mendy!

I agree with you somewhat. He hasn't been right for a couple years but I don't think he has much left in the tank. His thing was speed and I haven't seen that for quite some time. And this year seems to be even worse. He just doesn't seem to hit the hole hard or bust to the outside with any speed now. Not sure what it is but he just doesn't look anywhere near the same RB he was a couple years ago.
He never was a power type back but at least before when he hit a hole you could see that second gear kick in.

LatrobePA
10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I think he has some speed left but is afraid to hit the hole running!

Steelersfan
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I think he has some speed left but is afraid to hit the hole running!

You could be right, but either way it doesn't help the team. With his age, injuries and stuff I just don't see the Steelers keeping him at this point. I could see maybe a 2 year deal if he showed something the rest of the way.

LatrobePA
10-09-2009, 12:03 PM
You could be right, but either way it doesn't help the team. With his age, injuries and stuff I just don't see the Steelers keeping him at this point. I could see maybe a 2 year deal if he showed something the rest of the way.

I agree, times of change is now. I hope Mendy can stay healthy and secure the ball!

Steelersfan
10-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I agree, times of change is now. I hope Mendy can stay healthy and secure the ball!

Same here! But I loved what I saw from Mendy last game! He was hitting the hole and hitting it hard!!!!! He has the ability to knock defenders back AND bust the long one! I don't care what anyone says about the line. Mendy was hitting it hard and that is what counts!

scott0326
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
ok, the Pats just lost Taylor... they need a back....

they always have a pile of draft picks.....

Willie doesn't really fit the Pats system, they like doing lots of screen passes and dump offs to backs, Willie Parker doesn't fit that system. Besides, I think their pretty comfortable finishing the year with Kevin Faulk, Laurence Maroney and Sammy Morris.

LatrobePA
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Same here! But I loved what I saw from Mendy last game! He was hitting the hole and hitting it hard!!!!! He has the ability to knock defenders back AND bust the long one! I don't care what anyone says about the line. Mendy was hitting it hard and that is what counts!

I agree, and my past football days, be it coaching pee wee or playing the more you hit a defender the less they want to tackle.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2009, 06:56 PM
The Steelers spent a first round pick on Rashard Mendenhall for a reason and that was to be our franchise RB so I say yea start Rashard and work Parker back in slowly and just let Parker be the change of pace....I don't what to hear you can't lose your job to injury type of B.S.......I will always be a fan of Parker and thankful for what he did for this team the last 4 seasons......But its Mendenhall's time and I want to this kid to continue to grow......

BlackGold4vr
10-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't what to hear you can't lose your job to injury type of B.S.

:plus1:

Tell that to Drew Bledsoe! :lol:

SteelerSteve
10-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Fact of the matter is that there is really no upside to starting Willie over Rashard right now. Rashard is big, fast and strong. All willie has on him is experience. Rashard is simply better.