PDA

View Full Version : game 4 thoughts!

jtretz
10-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Again, we totally dominated much of the 1st three quarters and then we find a way to blow a huge lead but this time come out with a win!

There's a few postive things to look at:

1) Reed may have his confidence back! (46 yarder that was very meaningfull)

2) The Offense looked awesome! ( I loved the M.Moore pass to Miller call)

3) The O-line was great! (Good protection and opened huge holes)

And there are some negative things to look at:

1) Our defense needs help! (Pass rush and secondary problems always in the 4th)

2) Our special teams need help! ( Almost cost us the game!!):banging:

And I think Steelers and coaches will look at this game and realize that we need to play a whole game! No lead is safe! Let's dominate 4 quarters not just 3!:cope:

Big T
10-05-2009, 02:15 AM
A healthy Troy will fix the D.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2009, 02:30 AM
We won.....the team is 2-2 which is good considering this team is so freaking talented on both sides and can put on a 7-8 game winning streak just like that.....it sucked losing two in a row but I smell a winning streak on the horizon.......

K Train
10-05-2009, 02:50 AM
this is my favorite time of year...when everyone who has HATED mendenhall jumps on the bandwagon, you know who you are so spare us the "i never said..." bs. hes been called a bust too many times on this board and ive already seen people who have said it hop on the bandwagon.

defense played lights out for 3 quarters....this 4th quarter sliding has to be dealt with.

carey davis made a huge play....summers would have been flat on his face, while davis showed alot of awareness.

oline looked like 4 studs and hartwig....and even hartwig didnt look that terrible

i believe with troy out timmons should have been on gates all game

the defense didnt play that terrible, the stupid hester strip was huge and the onside kick was a little unconventional, pay attention to the dominate 3 quarters....while i dont agree with going to prevent in those situations at all....it wasnt a poor shwing by the d until the prevent came out and got pissed on

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2009, 03:30 AM
this is my favorite time of year...when everyone who has HATED mendenhall jumps on the bandwagon, you know who you are so spare us the "i never said..." bs. hes been called a bust too many times on this board and ive already seen people who have said it hop on the bandwagon.

defense played lights out for 3 quarters....this 4th quarter sliding has to be dealt with.

carey davis made a huge play....summers would have been flat on his face, while davis showed alot of awareness.

oline looked like 4 studs and hartwig....and even hartwig didnt look that terrible

i believe with troy out timmons should have been on gates all game

the defense didnt play that terrible, the stupid hester strip was huge and the onside kick was a little unconventional, pay attention to the dominate 3 quarters....while i dont agree with going to prevent in those situations at all....it wasnt a poor shwing by the d until the prevent came out and got pissed on

I never called Mendenhall a bust but I did say last week that I was frustrated that he allowed himself to be benched on offense last week and it was time to take the diapers offs........Finally we caught a glimpse of why I was so excited when we drafted Mendenhall........Sorry but I thought I was right in my thoughts of Mendenhall last week......I was just madly frustrated by him.......

Davis did make a huge play on that fumble recovery.......I really can careless if a FB is on the roster or not.....I know I defended the Frank Summers pick but that was since he was just a 5th round pick...I never proclaimed Summers to be anything.....

I'm not worried about the Defense since I expect this type of performance out of the offense every week...lol I have been proclaiming to long that the Steelers could be top five NFL offense and hopefully this game starts the offensive explosion....The defense will be fine......

The OL looks really good and none of the sacks was their fault which most of the sacks this year hasn't been.....Maybe the run blocking has been solid all year and all we needed was a healthy young RB that hit the holes with authority.....The OL looked really good tonight....Hopefully they keep it going......

DanRooney
10-05-2009, 03:32 AM
I bet Sweed feels like a total mess

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2009, 03:34 AM
I bet Sweed feels like a total mess

Mendenhall had his break out game and Sweed will have his to......As soon as Tomlin allows him that chance again....

K Train
10-05-2009, 03:37 AM
dont have to defend yourself to me, i know all about mendenhall struggling and being hesitant....its a who new game when you get the start and feel the defense out multiple times. mulitple people have called him and sweed a bust and while it was a while til he got a legit opportunity, and yes, sweed has broken my heart too...neither are busts and mendenhall proved his case tonight in every aspect of the game....running short, running long, blocking, recieving.

summers was just a terrible pick from the start, some people were IN LOVE with him and couldnt wait til davis was cut (ICS) but he proved his worth to us tonight...he deserves a roster spot

DanRooney
10-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Mendenhall never actually had a chance or blew an opportunity in a game that mattered. Sweed is a totally different story.

K Train
10-05-2009, 03:44 AM
i remember time when wrs were given 3 years to break out....i guess not anymore. im saying if you put sweed out there with holmes starting and make him play the whole game he would dominate...yes in limited opportunities he has played himself onto the bench but hes a rhythm player and coming in and out for 5-10 snaps a game doesnt get you that rhythm. its just hard for some people to come off the bench cold and be effective, unfortunately he is one of them and we dont need him playing significant snaps

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2009, 03:53 AM
dont have to defend yourself to me, i know all about mendenhall struggling and being hesitant....its a who new game when you get the start and feel the defense out multiple times. mulitple people have called him and sweed a bust and while it was a while til he got a legit opportunity, and yes, sweed has broken my heart too...neither are busts and mendenhall proved his case tonight in every aspect of the game....running short, running long, blocking, recieving.

summers was just a terrible pick from the start, some people were IN LOVE with him and couldnt wait til davis was cut (ICS) but he proved his worth to us tonight...he deserves a roster spot

I was looking at the break out game from Mendenhall last week vs the Bengals and when he was benched due to him not preparing like a pro I did knock last week.....He needed to take his diapers off and he did that tonight......

Carey Davis is the least of the Steelers worries......The FB isn't used that much so really I don't give the position that much thought...But Davis has added value on special teams....I didn't care that he was cut but I also don't care if he is on the roster.......As for Summers, I'm all for giving a draft pick a chance...But he showed in the pre-season he wasn't NFL ready and I was shocked he made the roster after showing nothing in the pre-season......

I just hope Limas has his break game soon....Both Mendenhall and Sweed will be cogs in this offensive machine for years to come.....

K Train
10-05-2009, 03:58 AM
im just glad the breakout game came in a game where the pressure was the highest....he was benched the week before and the team was counting on him in a must-win game because it really was, they go 1-3 and thats a hole they dont want to have to dig themselves out of.

what a confidence booster that has to be for him

DanRooney
10-05-2009, 04:00 AM
True. I do believe part of the problem is Sweed being delivered the deep ball nearly every time he's on the field. Maybe if they would try a screen to him early (thank god we got away from those today btw) or an intermediate pass to him acorss the middle, it could build his confidence level.

--- Added 10/5/2009 at 02:00 AM ---

Speaking of Carey Davis back at FB, I loved the Legursky look on Mendenhall's first touchdown.

K Train
10-05-2009, 04:02 AM
exactly, that is a huge part....hes asked to come in, run 40 yards down the field and catch a pass over his shoulder...i realize hes a professional wr and thats what hes supposed to do....but building a rhythm for the guy wouldnt be a bad idea. we saw what happened when mendy got a rhythm going

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2009, 04:13 AM
im just glad the breakout game came in a game where the pressure was the highest....he was benched the week before and the team was counting on him in a must-win game because it really was, they go 1-3 and thats a hole they dont want to have to dig themselves out of.

what a confidence booster that has to be for him

No doubt this game is a confidence booster for Mendenhall....He made a statement tonight and showed why he was a first round pick.......The Chargers were without Williams since he is lost for the year and the Chargers not having their starting NT in there was a huge blow...So I expected the Steelers to be able to run on the ball on the Chargers...I predicted Mendenhall would get his first 100 yard game but I didn't expect the 166 and two scores......I was very happy to see Rashard run with authority tonight...He finally looked like he had a swagger to him and you need that in the NFL.....

--- Added 10/5/2009 at 02:13 AM ---

exactly, that is a huge part....hes asked to come in, run 40 yards down the field and catch a pass over his shoulder...i realize hes a professional wr and thats what hes supposed to do....but building a rhythm for the guy wouldnt be a bad idea. we saw what happened when mendy got a rhythm going

Problem is you have two former Super Bowl MVPs starting in front of him and both want their touches....Plus there is Wallace and Miller who are main cogs in this passing game....Factor in the other chances to Spaeth, the other RB's and there just isn't enough for Limas Sweed to get enough chances for him to get rhythm going.....So he has to make those plays in the few chances he does get.......

I have no problem with Tomlin benching Sweed to give him a wake up call....Tomlin gave Mendenhall his wake up all call and it paid off....So I do hope to see Sweed in the near future....Its only a matter of time before Sweed has his break out game as well....I'm talking its going to be huge........The kid is to talented to continue to make the same mistake again and again.....The drops are the only thing holding him back......

steelcitysfinestXL
10-05-2009, 05:55 AM

Ill be the first to say, i wasnt sure this day would ever come! But, i sure am glad it did! Mendenhall looked like a 1st round quality back in every phase of the game! Im nowhere near ready to jump on his bandwagon though... Hopefully this game was a taste of whats to come.

While im not ready to say Mende is "the guy" and/or our Oline is finally righted... there were some really good takeaways from tonights game by both parties. Mende ran hard between the tackles and looked pretty good bouncing runs outside when needed. His blocking looked better for the most part and he showed of his hands a couple of times! He finished every run which i REALLY liked. I'd like him to run with a little more body lean and better ball security but maybe im knit-picking!

The Oline was made to look like ALL-STARS by a terrible SD run defense!! I hate to take any good game away from our oline but the Chargers are pityful against the run. But, our OLINE can really hang their hat on tonights execution! They were great in blitz pick-up and blocking assignment across the board! Minus a few penalties they had near flawless execution and very few mental lapses!

Dean Denton
10-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Mendenhall played a great game, but I wouldn't start blowing him just yet. I think the Chargers run Def is soft, and he took advantage of it. Parker did the same thing twice last year.
Ben continues to look great. The guy gets better and better every year. I think this is his best start stats wise after four games.
However...I really think this Steeler Def could be lacking in conditioning or something. 6 minutes left in the 3rd, and they ran out of gas. This is 3 weeks straight, and its getting out of hand. They got so lucky tonight. I know there were a couple freak plays that went the Chargers way, but the Def does not look good at all. No pass rush down the stretch, and Rivers picked them apart. Maybe its time for Tomlin to start getting in the faces of players and coaches on the side line and, start demanding better results. These late game meltdowns are going to cost this team the playoffs....playoffs?????

SteelCityKid5
10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
The sad part is that when Parker comes back he's gonna start. :banging:

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 09:36 AM
The question is, who do you start at RB next week?

Next question, will Troy help our soft 4th quarter D??

Finally, 38 Davis made a HUGE impact on this game, sorry haters!

cmerrifield
10-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I was most excited in this game for Reed. It was great to see him split the uprights on that kick. I think that kick could have been a 55 yarder and it still would have been good. That was great. I was worried about his confidence and ability to mentally come back from two misses in Soldier field. Then he missed one against the Bengals and my fears were being confirmed, especially when at least one extra point was close to missing against the bengals.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
The question is, who do you start at RB next week?

Next question, will Troy help our soft 4th quarter D??

Finally, 38 Davis made a HUGE impact on this game, sorry haters!

Let the calls for Mendenhall to start begin. :stirpot:

Seriously, I don't think Parker will be 100% by next Sunday, so if nothing else, Mendenhall will get more opportunities again next week, and he definitely showed last night that he deserves some more opportunities to produce on the field.

I also will admit I was rooting for Summers to succeed, but he failed miserably. Unless he was playing with an more serious injury from preseason than we thought and then owned up to it...I don't see him coming back.

I'm still not thrilled with Davis, but he is definitely an improvement over Summers...however, did you see Doug Legursky lined up as FB? :lol: Not a big fan of him, but he did pretty good as a FB on that goal line run.

Take away the special team disasters and we wouldn't even be complaining about the D. Those plays really allowed the Chargers to hope and come back in the game ... of course by that time, I was starting to feel like there must be some 4th quarter curse last night. :banging:

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Take away the special team disasters and we wouldn't even be complaining about the D. Those plays really allowed the Chargers to hope and come back in the game ... of course by that time, I was starting to feel like there must be some 4th quarter curse last night. :banging:

Very true! 14 points off ST disasters.

A healthly Troy and a confident running game is what this team needed. The Lions are sorry on the run D so I hope we run the ball down their throat!

franchise3
10-05-2009, 09:58 AM
However...I really think this Steeler Def could be lacking in conditioning or something. 6 minutes left in the 3rd, and they ran out of gas. This is 3 weeks straight, and its getting out of hand. They got so lucky tonight. I know there were a couple freak plays that went the Chargers way, but the Def does not look good at all. No pass rush down the stretch, and Rivers picked them apart. Maybe its time for Tomlin to start getting in the faces of players and coaches on the side line and, start demanding better results. These late game meltdowns are going to cost this team the playoffs....playoffs?????

And how many snaps have they played in the 1st half. Around 10-15 or so in each of the last 3 games so I wonder what will happen if our offense doesn't stay on the field for as long as it had???? If the stamina has been a factor for our defense problems at the end of the games, I am very concerned.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Nice win fellas. Total domination.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Truth is Davis looked good last night i was one of them cats happy to see Davis go also, maybe this is what Davis needed to happen to him , because i thought he was just a special team player, hopefully him getting cut will reinforce that nothing is guaranteed in the N.F.L:yesnod:, an Summers is a bum atleast for now:lol: he has looked horrible out their on the field so far this year! Wallace obviously was the steal of this draft:tt02:

SteelerEyeZ
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I feel like people need to also remember this was ONE game....we need that type of play week in and week out so until Mendy proves that i feel like we need to be open to everyone still, Willie Mendy and Moore..........and again GREAT JOB O-LINE!

Callax
10-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Offense looked great rushing and passing
O-Line looked like O-Line from a few years ago, they could run or pass at will!!!
ST need a little work...
Defense needs to work on nickel/dime packages at the end of games
Why are they giving up so many points and yards in the 4th???

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Nice win fellas. Total domination.

Something the Rats have not done yet! u have to be concern with the way the Rats are choking against ok teams the Chargers an Cheaters, an they let the Chiefs put up 30 points on that defense.........even in our 2 losses we controlled our own destiny! something the Rats cannot do!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Something the Rats have not done yet! u have to be concern with the way the Rats are choking against ok teams the Chargers an Cheaters, an they let the Chiefs put up 30 points on that defense.........even in our 2 losses we controlled our own destiny! something the Rats cannot do!

Classy...

scott0326
10-05-2009, 01:44 PM

I never called Mendenhall a bust, in fact I've been defending him, as I have been defending Sweed. Its nice to see Mendenhall have his break out game when we really needed it, maybe Sweed is next.

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Impossible for Sweed, Wallace is too busy catching balls thrown his way!

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Classy...

WHO needs thick skin now?:lol: the truth is the truth! if i'm not mistaking u are the one who came to our board running your mouth about nothing:lol: an u have the nerve to say classy WTF:lol:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
WHO needs thick skin now?:lol: the truth is the truth! if i'm not mistaking u are the one who came to our board running your mouth about nothing:lol: an u have the nerve to say classy WTF:lol:

I could debate this with you and point by point show how you're a complete fool (pretty sure a number of posters here would agree that this would be easy)...I'll take the high road though. I came here to say nice game...if you feel the need to flame me with nonsense, that says more about you than me.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I could debate this with you and point by point show how you're a complete fool (pretty sure a number of posters here would agree that this would be easy)...I'll take the high road though. I came here to say nice game...if you feel the need to flame me with nonsense, that says more about you than me.

whatever LOSER!:lol:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
whatever LOSER!:lol:

That's pretty much what I expected you to come back with. Great work!

K Train
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
this is getting idiotic, stfu

JensK
10-05-2009, 03:04 PM

You know, before you get all fired up, do look at the records - Ravens are still ahead of us. I don't really care who the played and who we played, because a win is a win, and a loose is a loose, and thats NFL for you.

As for the game: Mendenhall was really epic to watch, but i am not going to get too happy with Mendy and the o-line before they put up a few of those games - With that being said, man the kid showed us he has potential to be one of the greater RBs in this league!

Steel Trap86
10-05-2009, 03:22 PM

hey joe you think its time to panic? lol

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 03:26 PM
hey joe you think its time to panic? lol

I would think the well wishes and congratulations of a rival fan would be welcome here. I guess I was wrong. Serves me right for thinking that showing a bit of class here by saying nice game would be worth the effort. Carry on!

steelersforever1983
10-05-2009, 03:42 PM
thanks for the congrats on the win hope your left tackle gets better.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 03:45 PM
thanks for the congrats on the win hope your left tackle gets better.

Pretty scary moment yesterday. Took them 15 minutes to get him off the field. The o-line is garbage without him. Once he went down they had to keep Heap in to block for most of the game and they still weren't able to contain the pass rush.

Steelers_All_Day_43
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I like the game overall. Im still not all the way convinced with the D but it should be fine when Troy gets back. Also, I'm not fully convinced with the Oline. They played great but dont they always against the Chargers?

K Train
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I like the game overall. Im still not all the way convinced with the D but it should be fine when Troy gets back. Also, I'm not fully convinced with the Oline. They played great but dont they always against the Chargers?

no they dont, historically they suck and willie gains next to nothing against the chargers, last year he did good in the playoffs but usually the chargers rank with the ravens as one of the teams we cant run on. jamaal williams being out for the year was big, but the oline made a statement yesterday i dont care who it was against, it needed to happen

Richmond Rukus
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Pretty scary moment yesterday. Took them 15 minutes to get him off the field. The o-line is garbage without him. Once he went down they had to keep Heap in to block for most of the game and they still weren't able to contain the pass rush.

I didn't realize Gaither was injured yesterday. Hopefully nothing serious. I really wanted to see the game but my sons football game wasn't over until 3. Looked like it was a good one. At least I didn't have to subject myself to rooting for the Patriots.

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 04:14 PM
no they dont, historically they suck and willie gains next to nothing against the chargers, last year he did good in the playoffs but usually the chargers rank with the ravens as one of the teams we cant run on. jamaal williams being out for the year was big, but the oline made a statement yesterday i dont care who it was against, it needed to happen

Thanks!

Troyisabeast_43
10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Mendenhall looked great and I knew at some point he would show what kind of talent he really had. I kept saying it and saying it and I knew eventually it would happen. It will definitely make Tomlin's decision easier the next week or so to sit Willie if he is not 100 percent healthy with the turf toe injury especially with the Lions and the Browns up next. Mendenhall should continue to have great games against both of those defenses who both cant stop the run...

Blazedby92
10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I think everyone that keeps up with college and the Steelers knew what Mendy could bring BUT it wasn't happening until last night let's hope he and the O line continues this trend.

So until that all works out I'm not jumping on that wagon yet, so RUN MENDY RUN!!!!

Troyisabeast_43
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I notice Joe Flacco while he has been on the board and has offered his congratulations for the win last night is not posting on the board every 5 minutes much like he was a week ago today when the Steelers lost and the Ravens won...

Blazedby92
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I notice Joe Flacco while he has been on the board and has offered his congratulations for the win last night is not posting on the board every 5 minutes much like he was a week ago today when the Steelers lost and the Ravens won...

He does seem a little down 2day. I think he might need a hug. He is usually here early in the AM until late.
He did say Congrats though, How long did it take you to convince yourself to type that message or even come on here. You don't have to lie I won't when I say I'm glad the rats lost. Didn't see it but it seem to be a good game though.:banana:

North Steel
10-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I liked the the total kick *** game by the Steelers,but in the second half I was having flash backs of playing Madden 10 on PS3.I was watching the game with my kids and when those 2 fluky plays happen I'm like get the fuc_k outta here,anyway San Diego got there *** kicked.NEXT!:helmet:

Troyisabeast_43
10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
He does seem a little down 2day. I think he might need a hug. He is usually here early in the AM until late.
He did say Congrats though, How long did it take you to convince yourself to type that message or even come on here. You don't have to lie I won't when I say I'm glad the rats lost. Didn't see it but it seem to be a good game though.:banana:

Well after the Ravens do beat the Bengals next week which probably is going to happen he will be back on the board a week from today in full force. Im still not worried because the Steelers and the Ravens are going to be neck and neck in this division I believe unti they meet in late November. The Bengals have 3 very tough games in a row the next 3 weeks playing at Baltimore and then having back to back games at home against Houston and the Bears. Plus, the Bengals still have to come to Heinz Field in mid-November and have a very tough road schedule at the end of the season in December. Despite that loss to the Bengals last week and the Bengals being 3-1 this division is still going to come down to the Ravens and the Steelers when all is said and done...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Well after the Ravens do beat the Bengals next week which probably is going to happen he will be back on the board a week from today in full force. Im still not worried because the Steelers and the Ravens are going to be neck and neck in this division I believe unti they meet in late November. The Bengals have 3 very tough games in a row the next 3 weeks playing at Baltimore and then having back to back games at home against Houston and the Bears. Plus, the Bengals still have to come to Heinz Field in mid-November and have a very tough road schedule at the end of the season in December. Despite that loss to the Bengals last week and the Bengals being 3-1 this division is still going to come down to the Ravens and the Steelers when all is said and done...

Sorry fellas...didn't mean to be so scarce yesterday. Glad to know I was missed. A bit of work came back from our testers so I was pretty busy yesterday. Yesterdays loss was disappointing, but not so much as the injuries to Gaither and a key member of our special teams. I'm not one to hide when my team loses...I thought the Steelers played a good game yesterday and I thought I'd congratulate you guys since if it were the other way around I'd appreciate the same. Any how. Good luck this week with the Lions...doubt you need it since they are a garbage team.

LatrobePA
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Injuries suck, we know all too well!

steelcityrockers
10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I would think the well wishes and congratulations of a rival fan would be welcome here. I guess I was wrong. Serves me right for thinking that showing a bit of class here by saying nice game would be worth the effort. Carry on!

No, see I'm pretty sure that around half the people here are functionally retarded.

igor0190
10-06-2009, 11:27 PM
What I liked about Mendenhall sunday night was how he ran with authority. When there was nothing there he just drove into the pile and didn't dance, wait for a hole, and lose yardage (something Parker does a lot of).