PDA

View Full Version : Does this put the Steelers back on track now?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Well, we nearly blew it again. We had a 28-0 lead going into the 4th quarter and right before our eyes we suddenly find ourselves in a 35-28 dogfight with a couple minutes to go. Ben and the offense did their job, they scored points, the ran the ball, controlled the clock, converted big 3rd downs, so you would think that maybe this is what we needed to turn the tide even early on in this season.

Who's to say for sure though, there were still many things that throw up red flags so let's just see what happens in the next couple weeks with Cleveland & Detroit before we start yapping about how we're back and all this.

Atleast for now, the sour taste of losing is gone and that's a good feeling....

steelersforever1983
10-05-2009, 12:53 AM
offense looked great. the d just can't seem to get that the game needs to be played in the 4th quarter.

DanRooney
10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Well, we nearly blew it again. We had a 28-0 lead going into the 4th quarter and right before our eyes we suddenly find ourselves in a 35-28 dogfight with a couple minutes to go. Ben and the offense did their job, they scored points, the ran the ball, controlled the clock, converted big 3rd downs, so you would think that maybe this is what we needed to turn the tide even early on in this season.

Who's to say for sure though, there were still many things that throw up red flags so let's just see what happens in the next couple weeks with Cleveland & Detroit before we start yapping about how we're back and all this.

Atleast for now, the sour taste of losing is gone and that's a good feeling....

No, it doesn't. We need a healthy Polamalu and need a win in the divisional games against the Ravens but at least we won't see JoeFlaccoSaysHi prancing around here for at least another week. :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2009, 12:57 AM
the Steelers have the Lions and Browns the next two games so the winning should continue but this is the NFL so you never know....lol

Frustrating the team could easily be 4-0 right now but hey I'm not to disappointed or mad....Can't complain to much coming off a Super Bow title.....lol This team is still very talented on the offensive and defensive side of the ball....You would think the defense will fix itself....just going through a rough period right now...Better now then later in the season.....

Forged in Steel
Does this put the Steelers back on track now?

From the end of the 1st half. Yes. From the end of the game, offensively we're doing a lot better! Defensively, :banging:?

BlackGold4vr
With the Lions and the Stains in the next two games it is almost like having a couple bye weeks. I can only hope that when Troy comes back he will bring our Steel Curtain Defense with him. These late game collapses on defense are frightening. I don't have the confidense in our defense to stop anybody in the 4th quarter. Basically unless we build a large lead its a crap shoot! :thinking:

steelersforever1983
10-05-2009, 01:00 AM
never look past losing teams. they are known as trap games. so don't say things like a bye week playing teams in the nfl.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 01:08 AM
YES it does but we have to play like this on Offense week in an week out, an right No gravity he was just an **** starter!!

Big T
10-05-2009, 02:13 AM
I am extremely confident that our D will return to form and that we will get much more pressure and many more turnovers when Troy gets back. He just opens things up for other players and makes the plays that no one else can. He is special and you cant just replace a guy like that without losing a step.

Dean Denton
10-05-2009, 06:37 AM
This team has a lot to fix on Def. The Off looks great. Never in all my years do I remember a Steeler team that had a better Off then Def. This is new to me. Tomlin really needs to sit down with Dick and figure this out. Glad I'm not a coach in the NFL.

cmerrifield
10-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Yes, we have turned it around, the offense has found rythm, the defense will continue to get better. LeBeau is too good not to fix these problems on Defense. Lets not forget, the onside kick was not the defense's fault, and the Chargers have a great offense and we knew without Troy, Gates would cause problems.

lloydfan4life
10-05-2009, 08:39 AM
These guys have to work on finishing. They let a 28-0 lead almost develop into another 4th quarter let down. I was extremely pleased with our O line and with the physical way Mendenhall ran the ball. :clap: .... and of course, always love to watch Hines lower a shoulder and run over a db! :yellowthumb:

As far as the next two games.... any given sunday. Let's not look past either one of these teams.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2009, 09:32 AM
With the Lions and the Stains in the next two games it is almost like having a couple bye weeks. I can only hope that when Troy comes back he will bring our Steel Curtain Defense with him. These late game collapses on defense are frightening. I don't have the confidense in our defense to stop anybody in the 4th quarter. Basically unless we build a large lead its a crap shoot! :thinking:

Even with large leads it's still a crap shoot; at the very end of the 3rd quarter and heading into the 4th we were up 28-7. That should be enough, easily, for our defense to just tee off and go crazy on them. I just don't know what to make of them right now, they just aren't getting consistent pressure from anywhere, the secondary is falling asleep, the blitzes are getting picked up and guys just aren't doing their job like they are in the first 3 quarters.

franchise3
10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, I think we will win the next two games pretty easily and then we have Vikings at home. That will be a very important game. If we can go 5-2 into a bye week, that would be huge and then I would say that we are back on track.

SteelCityKid5
10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
All in all, the Steelers are a solid, solid football team. They have a bunch of talent, it's just a matter of being consistent every Sunday and to close out teams. I'm positive the Steelers will be in the mix at the end.

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I say NO, when we are 4-2 and facing the Vikes, I say yes maybe. These next two games are a MUST! Sounds stupid to even be concerned, but one word: Bengals!

SteelerEyeZ
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I feel like the O-Line is more of a solid unit and the offense showed what it can do, its the D that needs to get together and figuare things out. This def will happen when Troy comes back and starts running around making plays, we really miss him.

But as I am going to say in all my posts at the end "GREAT JOB O-LINE"
(They got so much **** and not they need to hear how well they played)

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 12:09 PM
The coaches and the offense needs to use the last few weeks as a learning lesson, DON'T TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE F'N GAS. Keep scoring in the 3rd and 4th quarters!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 12:14 PM
The coaches and the offense needs to use the last few weeks as a learning lesson, DON'T TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE F'N GAS. Keep scoring in the 3rd and 4th quarters!

Yeah...going to a soft defense against Rivers and company is usually not a good idea. Clearly they can put up points in a hurry. Still a good win...and no big injuries.

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah...going to a soft defense against Rivers and company is usually not a good idea. Clearly they can put up points in a hurry. Still a good win...and no big injuries.

Thanks! Rivers was leading the NFL in passing yards going into this game, he caught us sleeping for sure!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks! Rivers was leading the NFL in passing yards going into this game, he caught us sleeping for sure!

I absolutely loathe Phillip Rivers and his whiny act everytime something doesn't go his way...but he is a great QB that seems to get more accurate as the game gets down to the wire.

Callax
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
The offense is gonna have to keep putting up points to ensure there are no more 4th quarter combacks since the D cannot put teams away!!!

How do they play soo good for 3 quarters, but look like crap in the 4th quarter??

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 12:35 PM
The offense is gonna have to keep putting up points to ensure there are no more 4th quarter combacks since the D cannot put teams away!!!

How do they play soo good for 3 quarters, but look like crap in the 4th quarter??

They look played out, pooped! Maybe not 100% game condition yet?

I know Timmons looks rough and out of shape...

Stlrs4Life
10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Not yet, let's wait till we play better defenses, Minnesota, Denver or Baltisore.

Lunchbucket
10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Defense looks gassed in 4th quarter again....,although I thought Ike played very good taking away the deep ball,we had no answer for Gates underneath.Rivers was getting quick little dumps to him that we failed to stop for added yardage.We need to cover this,or Iam afraid we will pay for it down the road.Kudos to O-Line,Mendenhall,Ben, Jeff Reed and Moore.Special teams needs to be aware of live ball situations.liked the "diamond' package formation ,all said,I think we are facing the right direction to get back on track.

KemoTherapy
10-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Still too many mistakes with the 2 fumbles. Trying to take defeat from the jaws of victory.

JB 67
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Nice win right back in the race!!!!

Troyisabeast_43
10-05-2009, 04:23 PM
It's puts the Steelers back on the right track for sure. This team however cannot continue to keep giving up big plays and TD's in the 4th quarter like they have done now 3 weeks in a row. Luckily last night it didnt matter since they had such a huge lead, but still that was a lot and I mean a lot more nerve wracking at the end there then it should have been. But overall it's good to get back on the winning track and also get a little bit of help with Baltimore going down as well. Would have been nice to see the Browns shock the Bengals there which came so damn close to happening but didnt in the end. With the Steelers having the Lions and the Browns up the next 2 weeks and the Ravens and Bengals playing one another next week, along with the Ravens having to go to Minnesota the week after and play a good Vikings team and the Bengals having to host Houston which is not a bad team the schedule most definitely favors the Steelers to get back on track in the division the next 2 weeks and keep pace with both the Ravens and the Bengals...