PDA

View Full Version : I think Mendenhall got the message...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Now that is the kind of performance you want to see out of your 1st round draft choice. 29/165 yds and 2 TD's. He was running with authority, with power, with conviction, he was seeing the field and following his blocks, he was a solid weapon for Ben in the pass game when he needed to check down, he was what we've been waiting for since the day he was drafted.

At this point, regardless of the fact that San Diego is smaller up front than last year, that their defense is able to be man handled more easily than before, this was a game that Rashard needed. Tomlin needed him to have this game, Arians did as well, so did the line; now let's hope he can continue that and move forward to be our feature back.

DanRooney
10-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Hopefully Mendenhall remains the starter. This guy knows how to hit (and find) holes and is not scared to run through the tackles. I don't even want to see Willie on the field unless its a situational change-of-pace move or for a Mendy breather.

K Train
10-04-2009, 11:47 PM
never once did i doubt him

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
I was really impressed with Mendenhall tonight.....I was pissed on how he allowed himself to be benched last week.....I made the comment that he needed to take the diapers off and he did that tonight....Great game by Rashard and this why the Steelers spent a first round pick on this guy.....I love Parker but its clear that Mendenhall is hitting the hole with alot more authority then Willie....It could be argued that Parker could have had a game like this tonight but I don't know since Willie is banged....Turf toe is no joke so I say let Willie get healthy and we will need him down the road with the way this team goes through RB's the last couple years.....

--- Added 10/4/2009 at 10:49 PM ---

never once did i doubt him

I never doubted but was frustrated with him....I'm hoping this game was a spring board for him and he is lights out the rest of the year for this team......

LarryNJ
10-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Yes he got the message. Great game and good attitude. I like the way he acted after the long runs in the 4thQ...he simply walked back to the huddle. I guess Tomlins plan worked!

Get Willie healthy...you need 2 backs.

Lunchbucket
10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
A true pleasure to see good blocking and a running game.

steelersforever1983
10-04-2009, 11:57 PM
always do believe in run first.

scott0326
10-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Great game by both Mendenhall and the O-line, I wonder after this big game if Mendenhall will be starting next week.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes props to the O-line they handled their business tonight:tt02:!! an with a running back with vision we should be a very BALANCED an dangerous offensive team now!:clap::clap: I still don't like u Arians but u called a great offensive game tonight!:yesnod:

DanRooney
10-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I think what really helped Mendenhall (other than a horrible Chargers D) is Ben's passing setting up the run. Remember, this kid ran in a spread offense in college.

K Train
10-05-2009, 12:30 AM
also he ran well in the single back set, but when we did use a fullback he didnt have to step over summers

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Mendenhall had a nasty block on one of the Chargers, the demotion worked for Mendy last week,i'm hoping it works for Sweed this week:yesnod:

Big T
10-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I think we would all agree that the chargers defense is better than the lions defense. Rashard put up some monster numbers on the chargers and i could imagine what he could do against the lions next week.

I say start Mendenhall again, sit Willie until he is 100%, and then evaluate the RB situation closely and seriously consider a starting RB change. I love Willie Parker and am greatful for what he has been able to do for us in his career, but I do believe Rashard gives us the best chance of winning. At the very least, Mendy has shown that he deserves more carries, and will get them. When Willie gets healthy, maybe split carries right down the middle between the two. I think we could have a great 1-2 punch. This may actually motivate Willie even more to perform. Im excited about our RB situation.

ps. Rashard really needs to tuck that ball, high and tight. I saw that thing swinging around way too much tonight.

BR7
10-05-2009, 01:29 AM
IMO, Fast Falling Willie Parker lost his job tonight. Agreed, Mendy needs to watch how he carries the ball.

Bye bye worthless Willie...

steelcitysfinestXL
10-05-2009, 04:36 AM
I think we would all agree that the chargers defense is better than the lions defense. Rashard put up some monster numbers on the chargers and i could imagine what he could do against the lions next week.

I say start Mendenhall again, sit Willie until he is 100%, and then evaluate the RB situation closely and seriously consider a starting RB change. I love Willie Parker and am greatful for what he has been able to do for us in his career, but I do believe Rashard gives us the best chance of winning. At the very least, Mendy has shown that he deserves more carries, and will get them. When Willie gets healthy, maybe split carries right down the middle between the two. I think we could have a great 1-2 punch. This may actually motivate Willie even more to perform. Im excited about our RB situation.

ps. Rashard really needs to tuck that ball, high and tight. I saw that thing swinging around way too much tonight.

AWESOME POST!!!

Living in Pittsburgh, i know its gonna be a tough week! All the fans will be calling for parkers head and ready to crown Mende "king of runningbacks"! The kid had an AMAZING game! Congrats to him. Ive been very critical of him because this is what i have expected all along!

Let's all try and keep things in perspective though. SD's run defense is AWFUL! They got blown off of the ball and nearly every play. Trust me, our oline didnt just magically get better over night. But, with Detroit and Cleveland up next the offense can try to keep this up and gain some confidence.

When willie is back at 100%, hopefully Mende has a few more 100+ yard games under his belt and coach mike does the right thing and rides the hot hand! Parker may have to take a backseat because MeMo is stud as a 3rd down back! It would be nice to get mende 20+ carries and still have willie see atleast 10 snaps with MeMo getting the 3rd down work.

I hope this is the start of something speacial with Rashard! He has alot of talent and is only gonna get better with experience. Im not gonna be one these people to say he is "the guy" and Parker is done in Pittsburgh... not after one game! But it was damn nice to see the 1st round investment pay off!!! :cope:

Dean Denton
10-05-2009, 05:25 AM
WOW!!!! Already Willie is being cast out into the cold...lol Thats funny...Lets see Mendy do this game in and game out. Not sure if you guys all saw what I did, but to me, the O-line had their best running blocking game in three years. I think willie would have posted 200 yards in this game. If Mendy gets the job, then great....We still have two games against the Ravens and, if he puts up phat numbers against them, then I'm sold. I cant remember the Steelers not being able to run on the Chargers. Not in the last five years anyways. I thought Mendy looked good tonight, but he's a ding dong that looses his job before he even gets on the field. Had Willie been healthy, Willie would have started....

steelcitysfinestXL
10-05-2009, 05:37 AM
WOW!!!! Already Willie is being cast out into the cold...lol Thats funny...Lets see Mendy do this game in and game out. Not sure if you guys all saw what I did, but to me, the O-line had their best running blocking game in three years. I think willie would have posted 200 yards in this game. If Mendy gets the job, then great....We still have two games against the Ravens and, if he puts up phat numbers against them, then I'm sold. I cant remember the Steelers not being able to run on the Chargers. Not in the last five years anyways. I thought Mendy looked good tonight, but he's a ding dong that looses his job before he even gets on the field. Had Willie been healthy, Willie would have started....

As much as i agree with you, we are definately in the MINORITY here. If Mendenhall can string a few impressive games in a row... then he deserves the #1 spot. But one game against a $hit run-d doesnt make Parker expendable. It should however earn Mendenhall the start next week! He was given an oppurtunity and did well, and i hope he gets more oppurtunities to prove himself.

Dean Denton
10-05-2009, 05:45 AM
As much as i agree with you, we are definately in the MINORITY here. If Mendenhall can string a few impressive games in a row... then he deserves the #1 spot. But one game against a $hit run-d doesnt make Parker expendable. It should however earn Mendenhall the start next week! He was given an oppurtunity and did well, and i hope he gets more oppurtunities to prove himself. So do I, but in no way am I so blown away that I'm sitting Parker. I think its a nice problem to have, but against the Lions and the Brown either guy should have a great game. Now the Vikings...If Mendy smokes them, I'm all in because I know what Willie cant do, and I have no clue what Mendy can do in this game. If Mendy plays well in the next two weeks, then turn him loose against the Vikings...

cmerrifield
10-05-2009, 07:20 AM
I am not ready to cast FWP into the wind, but I do think that after last night, I am becoming more comfortable with the thought of not being able to resign him.

SteelCityKid5
10-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Where's that guy trying to fire Tomlin?

Ibleedblk&gld
10-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Yes he got the message. Great game and good attitude. I like the way he acted after the long runs in the 4thQ...he simply walked back to the huddle. I guess Tomlins plan worked!

Get Willie healthy...you need 2 backs.

we have 2...mendy and moore

i'm still not giving up on willie, but after last nights performance by mendy, it's kinda hard to expect willie to come in and steal the show...esp after an injury

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2009, 08:29 AM
also he ran well in the single back set, but when we did use a fullback he didnt have to step over summers

Makes you kind of appreciate a half decent FB like Davis huh :lol:

That's a good point, in the single back set he was doing quite well and able to follow his blockers and pick up good yardage. He's got a real nice burst of speed for guy that run over you as well.

Blazedby92
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Where's that guy trying to fire Tomlin?

Who Motorkraft?

NOW THAT'S THE MENDENHALL I SEEN COMING OUT OF ILLINOIS!!!!, Let's hope he can be consistent!!

Captcoolhand
10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
:clap: It was nice seeing Mendy gaining 165 yds on his 1st full start in the NFL. I hope he can keep it up...

I have to admit though, I was kinda worried at first when he missed a block on the very 1st play of the game last night. But he bounced back nicely. :yellowthumb:

Callax
10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I believe this is the end of FWP being re-signed for big money next year
He'll play in the NFL next year, but I think it will be for another team
next year,
Mendenhall
Moore
Redman
I know 1 game next does not make a career, but he looked very good....
we will see next game or 3...

SteelCityKid5
10-05-2009, 09:24 AM
O-line, Mendenhall, Moore and using Legursky around the goal line... :clap::tt02:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Does this get Mendenhall out of the dog house? I guess so.

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Does this get Mendenhall out of the dog house? I guess so.

It better, but there is still plenty to prove.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
It better, but there is still plenty to prove.

Looks like he caught up on his playbook...

Lunchbucket
10-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I think Tomlin got Mendenhall's attention(that's all he really wanted in the first place).

Troyisabeast_43
10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Looks like he caught up on his playbook...

Hey Joe how do you feel about Mark Clayton this morning...lol...I know I love him he is my favorite Ravens player...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Joe how do you feel about Mark Clayton this morning...lol...I know I love him he is my favorite Ravens player...

As I stated last week in a conversation about WR's...Clayton is garbage. Not saying we would have won the game had he caught that ball, but it would have been close. I'm still wishing we would have traded those draft picks for Brandon Marshall.

KemoTherapy
10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Mendy had a monster game but I get nervous every time I see the ball bobbing up and down in his arms. That and his upright running style make me wary that the's going to be a fumble machine. Still, it's good to have him around as Willie "I can't go this week coach" Parker is not somebody you can count on.

JB 67
10-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Mendy looked awesome finally some justification for drafting him on my fantasy team lol, He better get carries next week..

scott0326
10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I believe this is the end of FWP being re-signed for big money next year
He'll play in the NFL next year, but I think it will be for another team
next year,
Mendenhall
Moore
Redman
I know 1 game next does not make a career, but he looked very good....
we will see next game or 3...

Id really like to wait till the end of the season to make that decision.