PDA

View Full Version : Will the real Steeler defense please step forward?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Because right now I'm not what the real defense is....

Is it the one that sacked Rivers with 34 seconds to go to ice the win or is the one that just let them drive down the field before that.

Is it the one that sacked Rivers in the 4th quarter with about 6 minutes to go or is the one that just let them drive down the field for another TD after that.

Is it the one that dominated the first half or the one that totally went to sleep in the 4th quarter again.

Honestly, can somebody tell me who these guys are this year that we can't finish off teams in the 4th quarter?

DanRooney
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
It's absolutely disgusting on defense. The first 3 quarters reminded me of the MNF demolition of the Ravens in 07 when the Steelers had to make a statement. Then Limp Dick Lebeau craps the bed once again in the 4th quarter. This is dating back even before Polamalu. He did it against the Chargers in the divisional game, he did it in the Super Bowl, he did it against the Bears, last week against the Bengals, and then again today. This needs to get fixed immediately.

Zachintosh66
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
hes hurt and on the sidelines :)

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm hoping a 100 percent healthy Troy P. will fix the defense......Really disturbing that Woodley has disappeared this year...But he did put weight on in the off-season so maybe the the added weight has caused his play to slip this year....I don't know for sure but its a thought.....

steelersforever1983
10-04-2009, 11:56 PM
lets hope troy is the puzzle piece that fixes the defense.

DanRooney
10-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Woodley isn't getting enough pressure, Ratliff is a bum, and I don't even know what to say about the rest of the secondary aside from Ike (who played a fantastic couple of games covering Ocho and Jackson).

Danger DANJ
10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Obviously not having Troy causes LeBeau to call things differently when we have a lead. Against the Bengals it was prevent only rushing 4 guys. That's ludicrous against Palmer! Then against the Chargers they tried some stupid corner blitz and dropped Harrison into coverage against Gates! Are you kidding me?! That penalty against Harrison on Gates was just horrible! Then Mundy screwing up the onsides kick... Just a few plays that really made this more of a game than it should have been. Please tell me Troy will be back soon?

Black@Gold Forever32
10-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Woodley isn't getting enough pressure, Ratliff is a bum, and I don't even know what to say about the rest of the secondary aside from Ike (who played a fantastic couple of games covering Ocho and Jackson).

I don't care how good your secondary is but when you don't get consistent pressure on the QB it will expose your secondary........The Steelers have struggled with getting consistent pressure....But the truth is the only special player in the Steelers secondary is Troy P. and with him out of the lineup its a huge blow especially when he is playing on top of his game...Ike Taylor is a very good corner and has done a fantastic job......William Gay is a skilled young player but I think is nothing more then a solid number 2 and probably better suited as a nickel guy.......Ryan Clark is a solid free safety and is a great hitter......Really the secondary just needs Troy P. back and I think they will be fine....

scott0326
10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm not saying the defense played extremely well by any means, but one of the TD's was on the special teams (Stefan Logan fumble and returned TD) and San Diego was set up nicely by Mundy's inability to recover the onside kick another time. Take out those two players and the game is still a blow out.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-05-2009, 12:22 AM
lets hope troy is the puzzle piece that fixes the defense.

He is.............and when he comes back teams won't be so quick to try an go down field as much as they have these last 3 weeks:yesnod:

SteelerSteve
10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
D-line, I think that they still have a few solid years left in them. But we need to get some more speed on the d-line!! In the fourth qrt we need to be able apply pressure with the big guys up front. I also have to think that Troy being out is a big problem as well as maybe just timid playcalling in the 4th results in the D being shredded.

Big T
10-05-2009, 12:52 AM
LaMarr is disappointing me...he is getting pressure but hes not getting to the QB. James Harrison had a good game (2 sacks, FF). I really do think the pressure problem will be fixed when Troy comes back. His presence is ridiculous as it is but he makes the QB hold on to the ball too long. I have a feeling that once he returns, there will be a huge defensive turn-around.

DanRooney
10-05-2009, 01:16 AM
You would think Hood would get a chance to see some action in a 28-0 game with nothing to fear but the pass...I seriously believe LeBeau had stroke after the AFC Championship game last year.

With Ziggy in the game, we could have set Keisel, Hood, Smith and Harrison on the line as pass rushers and let Timmons cover Gates, who was absolutely killing us. Keep Farrior as the lone MLB to spy on Sproles and Woodley to just stand there like he normally does. I wouldn't mind Tomlin switching to a 4-3, perhaps Tampa 2 (stressing SPEED), in leads in the game. We're going to need that speed to put a stop to these quick slants and underneath routes that have been killing us.

Dean Denton
10-05-2009, 05:32 AM
I will say this again...Troy is the reason our LB's had all those sacks last year. Troy makes QB's hold that ball just a second longer and , it makes a huge difference. Last year the Def MVP went to the wrong guy, and everyone knows it. Harrison is a great player, but dont tell me Porter couldn't have done the same thing. Troy is the team, and league Def MVP, and now we are seeing it first hand what player on this Def is the best, and what players can be replaced. Troy is someone that you CAN NOT replace. Everyone else is.....

yinzer
10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
woodley BARELY missed tonight. he was a half a gnat's tail short of 3 sacks. he's streaky. he might have 4 sacks after the detroit game.

LatrobePA
10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I will say this again...Troy is the reason our LB's had all those sacks last year. Troy makes QB's hold that ball just a second longer and , it makes a huge difference. Last year the Def MVP went to the wrong guy, and everyone knows it. Harrison is a great player, but dont tell me Porter couldn't have done the same thing. Troy is the team, and league Def MVP, and now we are seeing it first hand what player on this Def is the best, and what players can be replaced. Troy is someone that you CAN NOT replace. Everyone else is.....

100000000000% spot on man! Well said!!!

QB's are afraid of Troy, same as Ed Reed, no one wants to throw that way, teams know that...

--- Added 10/5/2009 at 10:23 AM ---

woodley BARELY missed tonight. he was a half a gnat's tail short of 3 sacks. he's streaky. he might have 4 sacks after the detroit game.

How big is a gnats tail?

Dean Denton
10-06-2009, 04:54 AM
woodley BARELY missed tonight. he was a half a gnat's tail short of 3 sacks. he's streaky. he might have 4 sacks after the detroit game.If Troy was there to make Rivers hold that ball longer Woodley would have had his sacks.....

DIESELMAN
10-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Without Troy in there our D is playing soft, in the 4th Q especially. Playing prevent only prevents us from winning. Hopefully Troy comes back soon and that will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the D.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I listen to the media people say how Troy is a big part but he's not the reason this defense isn't playing as well this year. Normally one would tend to agree because 1 players doesn't make a defense in most cases; however in Troy's case there is some validity to it. Obviously he can't do it by himself but the fact that he can do so much to make the offense think more of where to go gives the LB's an extra second or 2 to get to the QB certainly doesn't hurt.

We'll see how they do when he comes back next week but be that as it may this defense better start figuring their **** out. Getting consistent pressure is what our defense is predicated on.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
We'll see how they do when he comes back next week but be that as it may this defense better start figuring their **** out. Getting consistent pressure is what our defense is predicated on.

The pressure just isn't quite there yet, maybe Troy will make 'em think a second or two more and it will result in sacks...Woodley has been non existent , maybe just having hitting the "2nd year let down",but the D has not been getting to the QB and that has to improve...:2cents:

BlackGold4vr
10-06-2009, 10:57 AM
The team is running out of gas late in games which can be attributed to a softer training camp.

Soft Camp......Soft Team.

Eventually they should be able to play themselves into better shape! :yellowthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I dont buy this soft training camp theory as to why the Steelers are not playing well in the 4th quarter. The players mentioned last season even that Tomlin went easier on them in camp in year 2 because he knew the players well enough and rode them into the ground too much in season 1 which made them run out of gas come playoff time. So this soft training camp thing is a bunch of **** if you ask me. I really believe that Polamalu being out of there is really that big of a factor as to why this defense is not very good this year. He is the equivilant to Ben being out of the lineup for the offense he is that good and that important to this team. Lebeau and Tomlin will keep working on this and correct whatever is going on that is allowing these 4th quarter meltdowns to happen. I dont think you are going to keep seeing this like you have been each and every game.

SteelerSteve
10-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Troy really does make a huge impact on many aspects on the game. Of course he's all over the field and always making big plays that you just dont see with Carter. He does, as previously mentioned, force QB's to hold the ball a little longer. He comes up makes huge tackles in the running game, and one of the big things I noticed with him gone is when a guy gets a pass dumped off to him and gains 10-15 yards after the catch. With Troy in there a lot of them would never have made any yac if Troy was in there taking there legs out from under them as soon as the catch was made.

yinzer
10-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I listen to the media people say how Troy is a big part but he's not the reason this defense isn't playing as well this year. Normally one would tend to agree because 1 players doesn't make a defense in most cases; however in Troy's case there is some validity to it. Obviously he can't do it by himself but the fact that he can do so much to make the offense think more of where to go gives the LB's an extra second or 2 to get to the QB certainly doesn't hurt.

my only problem is that the D has CONSISTENTLY gone vanilla in the 4th quarter the last 3 games. we shut down the chargers for 3 quarters. why not stick to that?

i realize the other team gets paid too but 3 games of 4th quarter come backs is a trend.

SteelerSteve
10-09-2009, 10:55 PM
my only problem is that the D has CONSISTENTLY gone vanilla in the 4th quarter the last 3 games. we shut down the chargers for 3 quarters. why not stick to that?

i realize the other team gets paid too but 3 games of 4th quarter come backs is a trend.
Yes sir! well said. IF it had only happened once then I would think nothing of it. However I think that it will be addressed and corrected as the season go's on. At least it better.