PDA

View Full Version : Steelers activate Redman from practice squad

BlackGold4vr
10-03-2009, 05:15 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/70/709458.jpg

The Steelers activated rookie running back Isaac Redman from the practice squad today and released veteran defensive end Nick Eason, who hadn't dressed in the first three games. Redman, undrafted out of Bowie State, signed with the Steelers after the draft because they were the only team to make an offer, and he exploded onto the scene during goal-line drills.

In the first goal-line series of camp, Redman scored two touchdowns on two carries -- the sixth and seventh attempts of the Steelers' 7-play event. This came on the heels of a fruitless performance by the first team, when Rashard Mendenhall was stopped twice and Frank Summers was stopped once. Summers scored against the second team with Redman as his fullback.

A week later, after Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin publicly questioned Redman's conditioning, he gave Redman all seven of the goal-line carries and Redman responded with five touchdowns.

Redman led the Steelers in preseason rushing with 145 yards, 37 carries (3.9 avg.) and 3 touchdowns. He was activated because of the turf toe injury to Willie Parker, and could be used as the Steelers' short-yardage back Sunday night against the San Diego Chargers.

The release of Eason opens up the possibility that the Steelers will add defensive lineman Sonny Harris in some capacity. The Steelers cut Harris after drafting him in the sixth round. The Steelers hoped to add him to their practice squad, but Harris was claimed by the Carolina Panthers, where he played in two games and made two tackles. The Panthers waived Harris this week.

- I don't think Redman will make much difference in this game. I doubt he even gets on the field for too many offensive sets. He might be able to make an impression on special teams if he shows some hustle and makes some big hits.

- Not sorry to see Nick Eason go. He was not very impressive and was never the future at any of the starting positions. He was nothing more than an interim warm body to give the starters a breather and with Hood waiting in the wings for a starting spot, Eason was at the top rung of the ladder for himself.

- Will be happy to see Sonny Harris back on the team. He showed some potential in camp and in the pre-season games. If he and Ziggy end up as our future book-end DE's then the only need left to retool the D-line would be another bad-*** nose tackle.

:helmet:

K Train
10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
oh goodie

TEEMONT
10-03-2009, 05:29 PM
got the text about this...and all i could do was ....sigh.

DanRooney
10-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I got a text that Willie Parker was out, and all I could do was cheer!!!

OC Steel Curtain
10-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Lets try not to hype up the kid like Russell. Let him prove anything before we "sigh"

TEEMONT
10-03-2009, 07:33 PM

yeah he was terrible last game....Redman probably would have broken the single season rushing record in that one game since he is such a bad-***

yinzer
10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
redman isn't the long term answer for anything but the kid runs REAL hard. he's not going to take away from the table. that's for sure.

Zachintosh66
10-03-2009, 08:58 PM
all hail... finally we can shut the people on this board up one way or another :)

Big T
10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Now we are guaranteed a win for sure

scott0326
10-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Thank God, now we have no worries at all. Any Redman projections? I saw one for 20 rushes 839 yards. But I think he can reach 900 yards on 11 carries.

K Train
10-03-2009, 10:01 PM
championship

LarryNJ
10-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Lots of funny comments...I don't think anyone thinks he's the answer to everything. But I'd bet he gets 2 or 3 short yardage first downs, which could mean extra points.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-03-2009, 11:21 PM

:rofl: Good one! from what i seen from Redman granted he hasn't went against the 1st teamers but i like the way he runs down hill! i looked at his college clips an he can be the guy we need, i hope he works out:crossfingers:

Zachintosh66
10-03-2009, 11:56 PM
he prolly wont even dress

SouthCentral
10-03-2009, 11:59 PM
with mendy and moore, i doubt redman plays. but if he does, i hope he tears it up. he's here for the good of the team right? i hope he does awesome... if he gets in.

K Train
10-04-2009, 12:00 AM
he wont do anything if he sees the field....everyone is gonna be disappointed in a big way

Silverback
10-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Man, everybody talks like they know something, give the kid a chance.

K Train
10-04-2009, 12:10 AM
i find it hard to believe if he were truly the chosen one, the phenom, the prototype, the savior, the messiah, the best to ever lace them up, the pittsburgh steelers do-it-all bad boy...then MAYBE they would have kept him, and MAYBE the 31 other teams might have scooped him.

i love college football and evaluating pro talent and no, im not a big follower of bowie state but this guy is a goal line drill hero with a cool nickname

Big T
10-04-2009, 04:20 AM
i find it hard to believe if he were truly the chosen one, the phenom, the prototype, the savior, the messiah, the best to ever lace them up, the pittsburgh steelers do-it-all bad boy...then MAYBE they would have kept him, and MAYBE the 31 other teams might have scooped him.

ding ding ding ding ding!!! What do we have for him Johnny?

lloydfan4life
10-04-2009, 09:02 AM

i love college football and evaluating pro talent and no, im not a big follower of bowie state but this guy is a goal line drill hero with a cool nickname

I'm glad he got called up and I hope he gets to see the field.

I don't recall anyone saying he's the 'chosen one', the 'phenom', the 'savior', the 'best to ever lace them up', blah, blah, blah.

What I do remember is a lot of people excited about the way he ran in camp and in the preseason and would like to see what he's capable of in a regular season game.

Give it a break already. Just because you're a self-proclaimed talent scout and already have this guy pegged as a nobody doesn't mean the rest of us can't wait with anticipation to watch him hopefully break a few tackles and gain some yardage. God knows Willie can't break a tackle lately.

yinzer
10-04-2009, 09:35 AM
for those of you busting redman's chops.... all he did in pre-season was produce! nobody ever said anything about redman being the next bettis or anybody even close to the bus. the kid runs REAL hard and has underrated vision. and for the people that say "redman only produced against third stringers in pre season games"... THAT'S WHAT HE WAS CALLED ON TO DO. everytime the kid was asked to do something, he did it and did it well. the sarcasm and dragging him under the bus is un-called for.

TEEMONT
10-04-2009, 10:27 AM
for those of you busting redman's chops.... all he did in pre-season was produce! nobody ever said anything about redman being the next bettis or anybody even close to the bus. the kid runs REAL hard and has underrated vision. and for the people that say "redman only produced against third stringers in pre season games"... THAT'S WHAT HE WAS CALLED ON TO DO. everytime the kid was asked to do something, he did it and did it well. the sarcasm and dragging him under the bus is un-called for.

It's completely called for. I said it before, and I'll say it again...John Kuhn V2.

If you guys get your poor feelings hurt b/c of what a few people write on a message board...maybe you need to re-examine your feelings.

Captcoolhand
10-04-2009, 11:07 AM
It's completely called for. I said it before, and I'll say it again...John Kuhn V2.
:hilarious:

How can you say he's a John Kuhn the II, when you write this guy off before he even hits the field. Oh wait! I rather diss a guy we have on our team and dream about someone we don't.:duh:

For wanting to be a Forum board tough guy, you seem to forget that Kuhn still plays for the Packers and He did score a TD last week! So i guess it safe to say, being that he's like Kuhn, Redman has just as much chances to produce also and even score too. :dunno:

I'm not going to sit here and say Redman is the next best thing but I'm not going to cancel him out neither....

LarryNJ
10-04-2009, 11:41 AM

How can you say he's a John Kuhn the II, when you write this guy off before he even hits the field. Oh wait! I rather diss a guy we have on our team and dream about someone we don't.:duh:

For wanting to be a Forum board tough guy, you seem to forget that Kuhn still plays for the Packers and He did score a TD last week! So i guess it safe to say, being that he's like Kuhn, Redman has just as much chances to produce also and even score too. :dunno:

I'm not going to sit here and say Redman is the next best thing but I'm not going to cancel him out neither....

Nice! :yellowthumb:

Make a book on the number of touches...1st downs...scores..... over 2 touches... over (1) 1st down...over .5 td's! :yesnod:

yinzer
10-04-2009, 12:26 PM

If you guys get your poor feelings hurt b/c of what a few people write on a message board...maybe you need to re-examine your feelings.

last time i checked, this is a message board. i didn't know varying opinions had anything to do with someone's feelings being hurt. redman isn't kuhn YET. maybe he will be, maybe he won't be. neither of us know that yet. i'm basing my opinions of redman of what he's done THUS FAR.... not what I THINK he's gonna do.

75Steeler
10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Not saying he is the answer to all of our problems. But he does bring one hell of a redzone game!

:cope:

steelers4life66
10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
all hail... finally we can shut the people on this board up one way or another :)
:ditto:

K Train
10-04-2009, 01:17 PM
kuhn went to shippensburg....which makes kuhn SICK

blackngold29
10-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Mendenhall to start: He'll have about four carries.

TEEMONT
10-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Kuhn playss FB for the Packers....

K Train
10-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Mendenhall to start: He'll have about four carries.

he'll go over 100 and it will be his game, not moores or redmans

steelcityrockers
10-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Actually, yes a few people did.

steel-tex
10-04-2009, 02:37 PM
personally i think he has good vision -parker don't-with the run blocking we get from our o-line this should help- anyway he still is a steeler and wears black and gold ---hope he takes it to the house --- a couple times.

yinzer
10-04-2009, 06:49 PM

i didn't. redman can only be judged to his performance so far. people calling him the next bettis or calling him a bust are wrong... on both sides.

Captcoolhand
10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
i didn't. redman can only be judged to his performance so far. people calling him the next bettis or calling him a bust are wrong... on both sides.
You can have the same arguement about Mendenhall....:stirpot:

lloydfan4life
10-04-2009, 07:04 PM

http://www.smileyfacesigns.com/images/smiley.php?button=rolleyes&text=LINK+PLEASE (http://www.smileyfacesigns.com)

SteelersWoman
10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
,,, redman can only be judged to his performance so far. people calling him the next bettis or calling him a bust are wrong... on both sides.

Very well said.

yinzer
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
You can have the same arguement about Mendenhall....:stirpot:

OH SNAP!!! :yellowthumb:

Blazedby92
10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm glad he got called up and I hope he gets to see the field.

I don't recall anyone saying he's the 'chosen one', the 'phenom', the 'savior', the 'best to ever lace them up', blah, blah, blah.

What I do remember is a lot of people excited about the way he ran in camp and in the preseason and would like to see what he's capable of in a regular season game.

Give it a break already. Just because you're a self-proclaimed talent scout and already have this guy pegged as a nobody doesn't mean the rest of us can't wait with anticipation to watch him hopefully break a few tackles and gain some yardage. God knows Willie can't break a tackle lately.

Self Proclaimed is exactly right, LMAO
I think K and his disciple's Big T and Teemont are scared they might be wrong, I'm not BECAUSE WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. Get through your heads, no one said he was the answer we are hoping he is atleast better than what we have NOW. If not OH WELL.

Maybe he just isn't picking up the playbook fast enough who knows if that's why he didn't make the team.

Ibleedblk&gld
10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
he didn't make a great impression when he tried to come out of the game b/c he was tired...

i'm glad he got called up...now we can see just what he has in him...if he does great, then good for him and the team...if he does bad, then we're back to where we started

but this back and forth bullshit is getting old...stfu and wait for the game, and see how he does

TEEMONT
10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Self Proclaimed is exactly right, LMAO
I think K and his disciple's Big T and Teemont are scared they might be wrong, I'm not BECAUSE WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. Get through your heads, no one said he was the answer we are hoping he is atleast better than what we have NOW. If not OH WELL.

Maybe he just isn't picking up the playbook fast enough who knows if that's why he didn't make the team.

First off, I'm no ones disciple. Second of all, I don't want the dude to fail, if he gets into the game when it matters. It would be silly for me to root against him if he gets carries at a key point in the game. I hope he proves me wrong b/c then it will be a great pick-up for the Steelers, just like Willie Parker was.

The point that I have been trying to pound in all of our thick skulls, is he is NOT better than what he have now. Adrian Peterson would have trouble racking up 50 yards on 20 carries with this line against a halfway decent D. A different RB is not the answer, a re-vamped O-line along with a new Offensive coordinator is what we need.

Redman is not the answer, he isn't better than any of the RB's we have on the roster, and he better hope he plays well on special teams tonight, b/c if he doesn't put a Fred McAfee type perfomance in, he wont' be back on the active roster on a regular basis.

You people hate being disagreed with so badly it's actually pretty funny. You take a huge offense at me, K, and Big T (whoever he is) for taking the anti-Redman position, and it is hilarious.

Nothing to lose? lol...there is plenty to lose with Redman in the game. Like the first time he gets hit by Merriman and coughs it up b/c he's never seen a LB that hits like he eats steriods.

That all being said, with Williams out, I think Mendy should have a good game tonight. If he can get 20+ carries, I can't think of a reason he won't have 100 yards, unless he gets hurt again, then he moves to BUST in a hurry.

K Train
10-05-2009, 12:46 AM
welp i didnt see redman out there in critical situations, but i saw mendenhall begin taking over the world

lloydfan4life
10-05-2009, 09:12 AM
First off, I'm no ones disciple. Second of all, I don't want the dude to fail, if he gets into the game when it matters. It would be silly for me to root against him if he gets carries at a key point in the game. I hope he proves me wrong b/c then it will be a great pick-up for the Steelers, just like Willie Parker was.

The point that I have been trying to pound in all of our thick skulls, is he is NOT better than what he have now. Adrian Peterson would have trouble racking up 50 yards on 20 carries with this line against a halfway decent D. A different RB is not the answer, a re-vamped O-line along with a new Offensive coordinator is what we need.

Redman is not the answer, he isn't better than any of the RB's we have on the roster, and he better hope he plays well on special teams tonight, b/c if he doesn't put a Fred McAfee type perfomance in, he wont' be back on the active roster on a regular basis.

You people hate being disagreed with so badly it's actually pretty funny. You take a huge offense at me, K, and Big T (whoever he is) for taking the anti-Redman position, and it is hilarious.

Nothing to lose? lol...there is plenty to lose with Redman in the game. Like the first time he gets hit by Merriman and coughs it up b/c he's never seen a LB that hits like he eats steriods.

That all being said, with Williams out, I think Mendy should have a good game tonight. If he can get 20+ carries, I can't think of a reason he won't have 100 yards, unless he gets hurt again, then he moves to BUST in a hurry.

You make a lot of good points T. IMO the point that most of us wanting to see Redman have been making is that from everything we've been shown since training camp started it appears that he had been the only one who seemed to be running with a purpose. Up until last night our running game has been atrocious. I am more than happy to see Mendy get the touches and success he had last night and hope it continues.

Secondly, speaking for myself, I don't 'hate' being disagreed with at all. I am in no way an authority on all things NFL and have learned quite a bit from the knowledge of our members here at SA. However, I do NOT like nor appreciate being referred to as a 'hopeless moron' or a 'retarded Steeler fan' because of my opinions regarding Redman. That has nothing to do with my 'feelings' getting hurt. That has to do with being respectful and realizing that your opinions are not gospel and others have opinions that at times may contradict yours.

Blazedby92
10-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Let's say this ONE more time, so let's listen before you speak again, If he is a Steeler I am all for them to do well and until last night Mendy didn't show it, and Congrats to Mendy but let's see if he can keep it up:crossfingers:, so here it comes TEE listen now, If Mendy couldn't get it done last night then I think it would be time to go with other options(Redman) maybe not the answer but maybe better than what we have but Mendy did well and I will root for him unless he goes back to his old ways. So like I said in another thread "this talk about Redman will be put to rest" because of Mendy's production but he still needs to be consistent.

PS I never wanted Mendy or Willie to fail

Callax
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I hope that Mendenhall can continue his fine performance for the rest of the year.
I think FWP will spell for Mendy and next year Mendy will be the man. Redman will be on the roster as a player next year... Pitt needs to keep redman active for the next 3 games or they will lose him and I think that is not a great idea!

TEEMONT
10-05-2009, 07:27 PM
and Nick Eason was re-signed today, with Redman heading back to the Practice squad....