PDA

View Full Version : Would the "new" Steelers Offense be better off on field turf?

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Probably a subject that has been beaten to death on here...sorry if this is redundant. I've watched a number of Steelers games where the grass seems to be a major issue. It seems that it was an advantage in the past when the Steelers ran a more run oriented offense, but would field turf be more advantageous at this point? Especially given the fact that they share their field with Pitt and various HS teams from time to time.

igor0190
10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
NO.

The players like the grass and it reduces the number of injuries we have.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
NO.

The players like the grass and it reduces the number of injuries we have.

Not necessarily true:

With regard to injuries sustained, a 5 year study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine found that injury rates were similar on natural grass and synthetic turf. There were, however, notable differences in the types of injuries. Athletes playing on synthetic turf sustained more skin injuries and muscle strains while those who played on natural grass were more susceptible to concussions and ligament tears.

SteelCityKid5
10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
See like this? What kind of topic is this?

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 11:05 AM
See like this? What kind of topic is this?

It's a topic about the Steelers, their offense, Heinz field, grass turf, field turf, and how they all affect each other. I would think that would be obvious by the thread's title.

StlersGuy
10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
:troll2::sux:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 11:11 AM

How am I a troll?

StlersGuy
10-02-2009, 11:16 AM
How am I a troll?

:thinking: Oh I know how I can explain this to you in terms you will understand so here goes make sure you read it really slow a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response
or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
:thinking: Oh I know how I can explain this to you in terms you will understand so here goes make sure you read it really slow a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response

How in anyway is this an inflammatory, controversial, irrelevant or off-topic message??? Do you even know what field turf is? It's not astroturf. There's a chance you've walked on it and didn't even realize it wasn't real grass. It's just as soft as grass and the texture of the blades is very similar. It helps prevent ligament damage and is a bit faster of a track. How is this in anyway an insult to the Steelers to discuss the field surface at Heinz. The stadium was built in 2001 and since then one of the bigger criticisms has been the grass on the field. I'm sure you know all of this.

yinzer
10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
i guess it's a matter of opinion. i think the steelers feel more comfortable playing under circumstances that are familiar... you know, conditions similar to heinz field.

lloydfan4life
10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
:iagree:

How in anyway is this an inflammatory, controversial, irrelevant or off-topic message??? Do you even know what field turf is? It's not astroturf. There's a chance you've walked on it and didn't even realize it wasn't real grass. It's just as soft as grass and the texture of the blades is very similar. It helps prevent ligament damage and is a bit faster of a track. How is this in anyway an insult to the Steelers to discuss the field surface at Heinz. The stadium was built in 2001 and since then one of the bigger criticisms has been the grass on the field. I'm sure you know all of this.
Well... considering our last two games were not at Heinz Field I'd say it's rather irrelevant right now, wouldn't you?

StlersGuy
10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
:trollsign:and :worthless:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
:iagree:

Well... considering our last two games were not at Heinz Field I'd say it's rather irrelevant right now, wouldn't you?

I wasn't in any saying the Steelers recent losses have anything to do with the grass at Heinz Field. I'm throwing out the thought that a change to a modern field surface might have positive effects. Like it or not...some day all fields will be covered with this stuff. Why would any Steeler fan take offense to this idea??? And why would it be a bad idea to go with field turf at Heinz in the future??? The injury myth has already been dispelled.

LatrobePA
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't call him a troll, he's clearly a Ravens fan. It's Friday I'm over it now, you guys should get over it too, not worth getting upset!

75Steeler
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree with Latrobe. We have other things to worry about. Like SD on Sunday night. I'm just happy this isn't a road game!

:cope:

igor0190
10-02-2009, 12:55 PM
I guess the myth with turf lies in the old astro-turf they used to use. That stuff was terrible. I know this field turf is pretty advanced with the little rubber pellets they use and all, but having a grass field is part of our home field advantage. Most teams just aren't used to playing on grass. The Steelers are. I guess it could possibly have a negative effect when they go on the road and play on turf however.

Bottom line is the league has tried to get the Steelers to change their surface. They refused. The organization, players, and most fans don't want it changed. I guess it's old school, but most like it that way...
If were going to concentrate on changing anything about the Steelers, maybe we should get cheerleaders. LOL

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I guess the myth with turf lies in the old astro-turf they used to use. That stuff was terrible. I know this field turf is pretty advanced with the little rubber pellets they use and all, but having a grass field is part of our home field advantage. Most teams just aren't used to playing on grass. The Steelers are. I guess it could possibly have a negative effect when they go on the road and play on turf however.

Bottom line is the league has tried to get the Steelers to change their surface. They refused. The organization, players, and most fans don't want it changed. I guess it's old school, but most like it that way...
If were going to concentrate on changing anything about the Steelers, maybe we should get cheerleaders. LOL

You can have our male cheerleaders if you want. :lol: I never understood why the Ravens thought male cheerleaders were a good idea.

$teelersRule
10-02-2009, 02:23 PM
yeah this guys is not a troll, I could see you saying that if he came on here and started to brag about how the ravens will own us blah blah, but this is a well thought out question that I have sometimes wondered myself. I think our D's speed would be even more of a problem for teams to handle

Zachintosh66
10-02-2009, 02:35 PM
:evilshake:

DanRooney
10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
It'd be nice to see a thread without a Joe Flacco avatar every three posts. Just saying....

JensK
10-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't get it - IF any other person in the world, but Tim Lumber maybe, made this topic it would have been a really good and relevant question. Now, seeing its a Ravens fan who asks it, he is a troll and i don't know what... Stay classy folks.

As for the question: While i think it probably would be better for the Steelers, the players like grass and its really part of a tradition - Heinz Field (or Three Rivers) not totally destroyed and ruined by the end of december is not true Steelers football! :P

HUNT4SEVEN
10-02-2009, 04:26 PM

:haha::haha::clap:Well said my friend, i tell u what if we don't reply to anymore of this GARBAGE that this troll post, maybe he will go away for good:pray::pray:

Captcoolhand
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Would the "new" Steelers Offense be better off on field turf?

I'm still trying to figure out the "new" offence in this title. :dunno:

StlersGuy
10-02-2009, 05:01 PM

I would like to know what happened to the (old) :thinking:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 05:05 PM

I would think the answer to that question would be quite obvious...

2009:

Pass Yards Per Game - 265
Rush Yards Per Game - 81

2008:

Pass Yards Per Game - 206
Rush Yards Per Game - 106

2007:

Pass Yards Per Game - 192
Rush Yards Per Game - 117

See a trend here? The offense has clearly gone more pass heavy over the past couple of seasons.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't get it - IF any other person in the world, but Tim Lumber maybe, made this topic it would have been a really good and relevant question. Now, seeing its a Ravens fan who asks it, he is a troll and i don't know what... Stay classy folks.

As for the question: While i think it probably would be better for the Steelers, the players like grass and its really part of a tradition - Heinz Field (or Three Rivers) not totally destroyed and ruined by the end of december is not true Steelers football! :P

Three Rivers Stadium had Astroturf the entire 30 years of its existence........Field Turf of today is alot safer and I wouldn't mind the Steelers switching to field turf....it won't happen any time soon so I really don't care....lol

Elway7Ben7
10-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Mr. Flacco is not a troll people. A troll is a person who joins a board and causes trouble. He is not causing any trouble. He's not spouting off about the Ravens kicking our asses.

I always thought Steelers fans had more class than this. We don't need to rip on any other team, or their fans because we're better than that. That's what makes the Steeler Nation. We have class and show respect, when respect is due.

This thread has a real valid point. By our "new offense", he means the team speed. Holmes, Wallace, Sweed, FWP and the entire defense would benefit playing on turf. Heinz field, is the absolute worst field in the NFL, and in my opinion, slows us down more. We have a very fast group of players. Playing 8 more games a year and then some on turf would be electrifying. Remember Three Rivers????

yinzer
10-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I like "joeflaccosayshi". who cares if he's a ravens fan? he's not causing trouble.

Sir Blitzelot
10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I know the Steelers' playeyers were asked if they wanted to switch to playing on a turf surface, following the 2007 season. They chose to keep playing on grass, so I don't see them changing their minds anytime soon.

SouthCentral
10-03-2009, 10:48 PM
i always think of that game against the dolphins a couple years ago where we won by what a field goal? that was a mess of a game on that field! but that made it awesome!