PDA

View Full Version : Congress questions league on televising games on NFL Network

Steelersfan
11-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Was wondering when this would become an issue.

WASHINGTON -- The NFL is about to start airing live regular-season games on its own network, and that has Congress a bit curious.
"We're intrigued, to put it mildly, what the NFL has in mind," Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said Tuesday at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Specter grilled NFL executive vice president and general counsel Jeffrey Pash during the 90-minute hearing on sports programming. The hearing focused on how live games on the NFL Network could affect cable and satellite rates and whether the games raise any antitrust issues in connection with the Sports Broadcasting Act.
The NFL Network will air eight live games this season, starting Thanksgiving night when the Denver Broncos play the Kansas City Chiefs. Some broadcast companies, including Time Warner, have balked at paying the higher fee the league is charging to carry the network because of the games.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9803318

House of Steel
11-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Wow. This is something to keep your eyes on.

AZ_Steeler
11-15-2006, 03:32 AM
I hope Congress puts a stop to this because it is a bunch of crap!!!

SteelersWoman
11-15-2006, 08:28 AM
It's not right if they start makin it "pay" or chargin higher rates to get a channel we were already gettin. Some elderly people on fixed incomes can't even afford pay tv--they see the games on regular channels.

House of Steel
11-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I am one of those people too, Steelerwoman. I think the NFL Network should be on regular cable. The NFL is a money hungry bullshit league at times.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
I think comcast also has an issue with the NFL concerning this.

Steelersfan
11-15-2006, 01:03 PM
It's not right if they start makin it "pay" or chargin higher rates to get a channel we were already gettin. Some elderly people on fixed incomes can't even afford pay tv--they see the games on regular channels.

They were on regular cable until they decided to up their rates to the cable companies. Some paid it while others didn't. From what I know all the games will still be broadcast on local networks because that is the deal the NFL has right now and they can't go back on it. I still have it on DirecTV and my rates haven't gone up one bit.

steelcurtain09
11-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I think comcast also has an issue with the NFL concerning this.

comcast has an issue wit it?? :scratch:
i dont think my parents pay any extra but we still receive the channel :banana: