PDA

View Full Version : "Sweed Trying Too Hard"

Ironman
10-01-2009, 05:36 PM
as reported by Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Sweed Trying Too Hard

Fellow 2008 draft choice, second-rounder Limas Sweed, wasn't so talkative yesterday. He declined to talk at all, even though he remains the talk of the town for dropping another potential touchdown pass in the open.

His coaches and teammates do not think it is for a lack of trying. Some believe he is trying too hard.

"Right now he doesn't have a lot of confidence," Hines Ward said. "He makes plays in practice. I watch plays in college, he's snagging it with one hand and all that.

"It's just confidence. You go out, you worry about a drop, I think it's anxiety. He sees the ball there, and it's like 'Oh, no.' He tries so hard not to drop it, I think he ends up hurting himself because he tries so hard not to mess up. We as teammates are not going to turn our backs on him."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09274/1002214-66.stm#ixzz0SikkQ8K1

Now as hard as this is to comprehend, I can believe it... well, sort of. Sweed has been hammered by the fans since his miserable rookie season. He had a spectacular training camp, and in doing so, opened a few eyes, and hearts in the process. Limas Sweed is a second round pick, and he has the potential to be a reliable target at 6'5. Although he was drafted for his ability to make every catch in college, his hands have not followed him to the next level.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6359/sweed3.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6294/sweed2.jpg

I am just as disappointed, and heartbroken as everyone else after his latest drop. I completely agree with the decision to demote his ***, but I haven't given up on him yet. Big Ben wanted a taller target, and the Steelers organization granted his request by drafting Sweed. I'm not sure when, or if he'll ever live up to the expectations, but I think he will see the light of day again before the season is over. He's an athlete, and he is probably in anguish over the numerous missed opportunities. But like the article says, he really needs to just relax, and play football.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2412/sweed1.jpg

This thread will probably be filled with negative replies, and possibly some death threats, completely understandable. Just don't crucify me for having a smig of hope in this kid.

tuggysteel822
10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I think he just needs to relax and just play and have fun. Act as though it's pop Warner and he's just having a goodtime playing. I think he definitely has the potential and skill, just needs to relax and do it.

K Train
10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
no way will i give up on him, hes a hard worker and a phenomenal talent. like ive said benching him isnt the answer, reps are.

alot of people disagree with me but at one time receivers were given three years...no more i guess.

Big T
10-01-2009, 06:04 PM
no way will i give up on him, hes a hard worker and a phenomenal talent. like ive said benching him isnt the answer, reps are.

alot of people disagree with me but at one time receivers were given three years...no more i guess.

Completely agree

SteelCityKid5
10-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I like Sweed, just has to not think to much even though that's probably easier said than done.

cmerrifield
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I agree with train, keep him in the game, he has made some tough catches, the easier ones will come as he gets more confident

HUNT4SEVEN
10-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I just hopes he get his sh&% together soon! he has the talent he just have to stop thinking so much out their on the field an makes plays, he catches the hard ones it's the easy ones that he can't hold on to:yesnod:, i hope this benching doesn't shatter his confidence, but he does need to learn to hold on to every ball, maybe this semi demotion will get that in his head! come on Sweed get it together:tt02:

DanRooney
10-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm not going to give any praise to Limas Pee'd until I see at least 3 spectacular games to make up for those 3 guaranteed TD drops.

K Train
10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
i honestly think his problem is coming in cold....plax was never good at that either. the problem is we dont need him to start so he only comes in sometimes

lloydfan4life
10-01-2009, 07:07 PM
I agree with the article and I agree with most of you. Limas needs to just relax and play like he's capable of playing. I know his dropped balls have been at key times during games but IMO you're hurting him more (mentally) by yanking him. For anyone who's played ball you know that mental blocks are a tough slump to crawl out of. We all know he's talented enough to be a great receiver and he just didn't happen to 'forget' how to catch or hang onto the ball. It's all been mental and the only way to get past the mental is to gather more confidence. Riding the bench is taking him backwards IMO. :2cents:

yinzer
10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
he needs more reps

Black@Gold Forever32
10-01-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm all for giving the kid reps as well.....But Sweed needs to start bringing something to the table as well like proving he can hold onto a potential TD ....Sweed is a hard worker and the kid likes to block so that is why its hard to knock Sweed......But I agree with Sweed being benched at the moment.....The Steelers are 1-2 now and can't afford to just allow Sweed to get reps to grow....He needs to earn his way back and prove to the coaches he can be counted on......

I really like Limas Sweed but the kid is frustrating the **** out of me right now...:lol:

SteelerEyeZ
10-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I totally agree, worest thing is he has ALL the tools he needs to become a top WR. I hope that years draft starts to come alive.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 08:28 PM
He can play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KUlq9OTJs

coach
10-01-2009, 08:39 PM
I was actually excited when he was drafted and kept thinking he was a great pick. I was disappointed when he didn't make some catches last year, but kept telling myself to be patient and believed he would eventually get there. I think what makes me some people so passionate about this player/topic is they REALLY want him to be successful. I could be a HUGE Sweed fan if he gets things fixed. Whether it is because he tries to hard or not, he is taking the heat for the successive losses and fact that he hasn't been successful catching some fairly easy to make catches. I hope he turns it around and if he does, I'll buy his jersey and wear it just because I'll be excited for the guy and the team. I am pretty sure I am not alone.

lloydfan4life
10-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I am pretty sure I am not alone.

you're not :yellowthumb:

franchise3
10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
he needs more reps

Ditto!

He will be a great WR:imho:

igor0190
10-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I agree with KTrain... Part of the problem is just coming in cold. I still am very confident he will be a solid contributor on this team THIS YEAR. He's had some bad drops, but also made some great catches. Send him over the middle more instead of deep in the endzone... no time to think. They definately have to go back to him though. Too much talent to ignore all season.

He's really seems to be taking that dropped pass to heart. I guess that's good but I hope he can rebound from it.